PDA

View Full Version : The story of a tea vendor's son and his dream to become a doctor

rkumar
June 20th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Dear Friends,

Here is a story of a boy with determination. Our rural boys/ girls should take lessons from such real life stories. Most heartening aspect is that the boy has accepted only a potion of donations and has take education loan to finance his studies.

RK^2

.................................................. ..................................
http://www.ndtv.com/morenews/showmorestory.asp?slug=Support+pours+in+for+JEE+to pper+in+Orissa&id=89273&category=National

Support pours in for JEE topper in Orissa
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sampad Mahapatra

Watch story

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 (Bhubaneswar):

The story of a tea vendor's son and his dream to become a doctor has evoked a hearty response, and financial help has poured in not just for the boy but many others like him.

Deepak Das, who topped the medical joint entrance examination in Orissa has been felicitated by the Editor of Oriya newspaper Sambad.

Sambad was the first to publish Deepak's story.

Inspiring tale

Son of a roadside vendor, Deepak was unable to afford the admission fees for a medical college.

But moved by his story, financial help has been coming in, and inspired by their reader's feelings, the newspaper is now setting up a trust to help others like Deepak.

Deepak has decided to take only a fraction of the help he is receiving, and has given the rest to the trust for other needy students.

He is also taking a study loan of Rs 4 lakh.

"I decided to take the loan to be sure about the entire period of study. I am happy about this. Many needy students will get help through the trust," he said.

"Even I would like to contribute to the trust in my own small way, as I think it is a very good idea," said Rajendra Das, Deepak's father.

The Sambad-Amo Orissa Trust for poor, meritorious students will be set up on June 27. It starts with an impressive corpus, but the real credit for it goes to Deepak, the boy who dared to dream big.