PDA

View Full Version : should smoking be banned??????

dolly2003
June 27th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Should smoking be banned in all public places?

If no, which public places should allow smoking?

Are you a smoker or a non-smoker?

mukul_baliyan
June 27th, 2006, 12:33 AM
Yes it should be banned in all public places

per pher chene smooker ka kya koga . unke liye smooking zone bana dene chahiye (near some public places)

and i feel proud that i m a non smoker

aabhisheksirohi
June 27th, 2006, 12:49 AM
No doubt it is banned in all public places and fined for smoking if someone tried !! But who cares peeps still smokes in particular teenagers ...

Auuf ! i m non - smoker !!

kharub
June 27th, 2006, 12:59 AM
NON - Smoker ..... strictly anti-smoking ...

ashokkhatri
June 27th, 2006, 01:56 AM
There should smoking zones in public areas

amitnirwal
June 27th, 2006, 07:29 AM
u have arise a very good question , but th

smoking should b banned ,i strongly appeal.

but
who cares, is it the responsibiity of an indivisual or the society.
ok , if smoking is banned specially in public places what will happen.
the main problem is not of smoking at public places but it is the SMOKING itself.
when we talk of smoking we only think about
higher society , the people who are smoking in cinemas , in railway stations etc. but what about the labour who is working in a factory ,working whole day did`nt hav any faciity to refresh himslf just
hav a BIDI to smoke.
what about the FARMER who is working 24 Hrs a day and find no any medium to refresh himsef , he only have the same BIDI . which he smoke again and again.
if we think seriously smoking is harmful to all states of the society but the upper society hav the facilities to overcome the loss caused by smoking , i mean they:confused: have medical facilities and all. BUT what about the poor labrour ,what about the poor vilage farmer ,who smoke and smoke and did`nt even know the harmful effects of smoking .and if they get effected by smoking they did`nt have facilities to get them treated.
think upon all aspects and share your views,:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

downtoearth
June 27th, 2006, 10:26 AM
u have arise a very good question , but th

smoking should b banned ,i strongly appeal.

what about the FARMER who is working 24 Hrs a day and find no any medium to refresh himsef , he only have the same BIDI . which he smoke again and again.
if we think seriously smoking is harmful to all states of the society but the upper society hav the facilities to overcome the loss caused by smoking , i mean theyhave medical facilities and all. BUT what about the poor labrour ,what about the poor vilage farmer ,who smoke and smoke and did`nt even know the harmful effects of smoking .and if they get effected by smoking they did`nt have facilities to get them treated.
think upon all aspects and share your views, bhai saab nirwal,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, aapney ya farmer aali baat katti 100 ki 100 kahi sey ,,,,, agree wid u..............

aur mohtarma ,,,
yesssss.............. smoking is already prohibited in all public places it just need to b implemented geniunely:o .{ek baar mein fassya bhi thaa.}.......... lakin yu India sey,,,, aarey no smoking key board talley challey banandey paaweingey,,,,,,,,,,,,, no parking mein gaddi aara dewengey,:p ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, no spitting key talley pan thukdey pawwengey,.................;) :p :mad: .....................................
in fact govt has made provisions to keep a check on smoking ...........and it warns all youngsters below the age of 18 not to grab fags ...........

i have mastery in making challey {smoker};) :p .....................

yashbeniwal
June 27th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Dolly......4 ur kind information It is already banned................

vipinrathee
July 4th, 2006, 02:06 PM
smoking should be banned near educational institutions....
bhai mein toh khud non smoker sun.mera bas chale to kati ban kar dun

cheers
vipin rathee

jat balwan

dahiyarules
July 4th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Lets ban breating, drinking of water, eating food, living in a house, wearing clothers, walking on the streets, rasising families, showing love and respect for our loved ones, along with smoking.

Smoking is just another human activity. Banning it would clear the way to just ban any other human activity, and thus establishment of an "authoritarian big brother type" government.

Do not let govt. bother with anything. Afterall, government never did anything correctly. They just screw it up even worse.

I do not smoke but I try to look beyond just anything.

yashmalik
July 4th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Lets ban breating, drinking of water, eating food, living in a house, wearing clothers, walking on the streets, rasising families, showing love and respect for our loved ones, along with smoking.

Smoking is just another human activity. Banning it would clear the way to just ban any other human activity, and thus establishment of an "authoritarian big brother type" government.

Do not let govt. bother with anything. Afterall, government never did anything correctly. They just screw it up even worse.

Its not only a human activity but a bad habit.

Thread starter has used the work 'public places'. The question is not banning smoking but banning smoking at 'public places'.
If smoking was harmful to the smoker only then none could have thought to eradicate it. Smoking harms and disturbs other bystanders at public places who are non-smokers.

Banning it at "Public places" will prevent passive smoking by which other non-smokers will become safe.

prashantacmet
July 4th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Bhai Sumit aaj pehlam ke main terri baat simajh main aayi............ if smoking is banned ........ How will i write my C code....:p. My mind remains dull until i smoke a ciggarette .......majhe to company aalle baahar phek deenge kahad ke.......................:eek:

monikadahiya
July 5th, 2006, 10:41 AM

Sumit,

How can you even compare smoking which is nothing but a suicide with those necessities in life??
Smoking kills. None of those activites kill you. I will suggest you not to look so beyond that you stop understanding the meaning of life and death.
Smoking is responsible for millions of deaths every year. I can write on and on about tobacco and its adverse effect, be it physical, economical, social or environmental. I am glad that it is already banned in public places..non smokers dont deserve to die of passive smoking ( believe me passive smoking kills too) and i am so happy ab apni indian government aur stringent measures le rahi hai. abhi bollywood movies mein bhi smoking ban hone waali hai.great step...But there still are many shortcomings. Tax badhana chahiye which is proven to be the most effective measure to control tobacco epidemic. Smoking cessation centres kholne chahiye. abhi i doubt if there are good cessation centres. I know so many ppl who wanted to quit but couldnt because they couldnt get professional help. And its proven that 90% tobacco users who try to quit without professional help resume the ill habit within the very first year. Bohot kuch hai karne ko. bohot kuch!!!

dahiyarules
July 5th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Sumit,

How can you even compare smoking which is nothing but a suicide with those necessities in life??
Smoking kills. None of those activites kill you. I will suggest you not to look so beyond that you stop understanding the meaning of life and death.
Smoking is responsible for millions of deaths every year. I can write on and on about tobacco and its adverse effect, be it physical, economical, social or environmental. I am glad that it is already banned in public places..non smokers dont deserve to die of passive smoking ( believe me passive smoking kills too)

And so do walking on the street, and eating food. More people die walking on the road and eating food than in airplane crashes. Whats your standard for saying whats good and whats bad.

Anyway, who are we to decide for others? If someone wants to do things that harm them, lets respect their decision. Imposition of personal beliefs on others is not the halmark of a free society.

I look at everything very differently. Asking the government to legislate everyday human activities, leads to a bigger and stronger government. Today they will ge our support to ban smoking. Someday, they will expect our support to install cameras in our homes with the pretext of protecting us from being attacked by terrorists.

This is not an exaggeration. When President Washington levied taxes on whisky, Americans riased hell. Today, no one has he courage to utter a bleep, while the government goes on a rampage bombing one country after another, while abusing civil liberties at an unprecedented level. Lets learn form history.

and i am so happy ab apni indian government aur stringent measures le rahi hai. abhi bollywood movies mein bhi smoking ban hone waali hai.great step...But there still are many shortcomings. Tax badhana chahiye which is proven to be the most effective measure to control tobacco epidemic. Smoking cessation centres kholne chahiye. abhi i doubt if there are good cessation centres. I know so many ppl who wanted to quit but couldnt because they couldnt get professional help. And its proven that 90% tobacco users who try to quit without professional help resume the ill habit within the very first year. Bohot kuch hai karne ko. bohot kuch!!!

I do not know where you got your statistics from. But, for the sake of simplicty I will respect them for the moment.

They waged a war on drugs, but drug trade just became uglier. Worthless substances are worth more than the most expensive metals and minerals, just becuase government has banned them. Drug addicts go to great lengths to staite their urges. It has lead to a steep rise in crime.

Besides, it has lead to the establishment of an underground organized trade in illegal substances, wherby individuals who run the trade hold immense power to overturn governemnts and deal a severe blow to innocent life.

Legislation does not help. It just makes things worse. Afterall, let me say it again; government never did anything correctly.

I have heard this bull crap about taxation and reduction in smoking before. How many people know about the established mail order business for cigarrettes in Canada. They heavily ax tobacco in Canada and Canadians buy it over the internet, just like Americans buy their pharmaceuticals.

By making smoking more expensive for smokers, we are not helping them a bit. The money they could have spent on other worthwhile activites, goes in taxes to the government. And what does the government do with taxes. They splurge.

Lets tax tobacco. Maybe Sonia Gandhi can add one more bullet proof SUV to her cavalcade.

As far as passive smoking goes, I have a problem with it too. Thats why I prefer to go to smoke-free extablishments. With smoking being stigmatized in our society, more and more businesses are barring smoking on their establishments or setting up smoking zones for smokers.

That is the way to go. Lets do it voluntarily instead of lgislating it. The best way to solve a social problem is not through the governemnt, but through voluntary individual actions.

Power to the people, not to the government.

monikadahiya
July 5th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Sumit,

I have studied tobacco use and its implications in both developed nations and developing nations and have worked in the field too. I dont think it'll make any sense for me to write down all the scientific and legislative papers here. As it wont make any sense to you. If u still want it let me know and i have the biggest of all list. The scenerio is very different. You should be clear that you can never compare canadian/american system with indian system. Suicide is a crime and smoking is nothing but suicide. It is extremely important for government to interfere in this. Who do you think bans tobacco in public places?? thats our government ( if u wanna call it interference you are more than welcome to do so). It solves many purposes besides the ill effects of passive smoking on non smokers (one such example is psychological affect on smokers).

Tobacco use generally early age mein shuru hota hai jab sensible decision lene ki capability kam hoti hai, and by the time the "kid" is grown up its already too late.India mein toh public abhi educated bhi nahi hai. kya woh informed decision lenge jab information hee nahi pohonchti untak. I feel you are wandering away from the core issue and i feel you are comparing tobacco use with something really different like terrorism and cameras in our houses. its illogical on ur part to even think of doing that.

dahiyarules
July 5th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Sumit,

I have studied tobacco use and its implications in both developed nations and developing nations and have worked in the field too. I dont think it'll make any sense for me to write down all the scientific and legislative papers here. As it wont make any sense to you. If u still want it let me know and i have the biggest of all list. The scenerio is very different. You should be clear that you can never compare canadian/american system with indian system. Suicide is a crime and smoking is nothing but suicide. It is extremely important for government to interfere in this. Who do you think bans tobacco in public places?? thats our government ( if u wanna call it interference you are more than welcome to do so). It solves many purposes besides the ill effects of passive smoking on non smokers (one such example is psychological affect on smokers).

Tobacco use generally early age mein shuru hota hai jab sensible decision lene ki capability kam hoti hai, and by the time the "kid" is grown up its already too late.India mein toh public abhi educated bhi nahi hai. kya woh informed decision lenge jab information hee nahi pohonchti untak. I feel you are wandering away from the core issue and i feel you are comparing tobacco use with something really different like terrorism and cameras in our houses. its illogical on ur part to even think of doing that.

Look, I do not wish to dispute your knowledge or information. Infact, I totally agree with you about the ill-effects of tobacco.

I am not wandering away from the issue. I understand the evils of an empowered government, just like I understand the evils of smoking. My argument is just that I do not wish to empower the government to legislate just anything. Period.

I had rather have voluntary social programs denouncing programs.

Someone convinced me to resist smoking. I am sure we can do the same to others.

As far as preventing people from killing themselves is concerned; what you gonna do now. Flex government muscle and put a gun on their head and ask them to stop smoking.

If you still do not get my point, I must admit that you are too feeble-minded to understand the concept of liberty from government intervention in private lives.

No further comments.

deepshi
July 5th, 2006, 11:28 PM
u cant compel sum1 to conform or do as asked, unwillingly.
ur privacy n right 2 choose cum first, no dictatorship here. ppl r nt gullible anymore 2 b taught bout adverse effects of smoking, or any personal habit 4 dat matter, as far as it duznt encroach upon others privacy, or offends others in any way.
so, to each, his own! peace....................
yeah, there shud b proper smoking zones 4 those who r averse to it.
n banning or compelling against one's wish only leads 2 resentment, nthin else,,
jiyo orr jeene do!

amitksiwach
July 5th, 2006, 11:38 PM

dolly madam

aapney ek baat bataaoo

yaa smoking kadde ban koni ho sakti khaskar jaatan main
kyunki jaataan ka kaam koni chaale

ek bai soch kae dekho un kisaano ka jo din bhar khetaan mein kaam kare hai
main bhi aapke paksha mein hoo agar smoking ban hoti hai toh kyunki yoh toh ek jahar hai jo aadami ko maut devai hai
par ke karein jaat bhai aadhe tai jyaadaa kisan hai aur apni thakaan mitaaney watey unko BIDI se badhiya jariya nahi miltaa

agar kuchh hai toh maahne bhi bataanaa main bhi try karoonga appney kissan bhaiyaa nai samjhaney ki

ek bai sarkar aayi thi haryane mein bansilal tau ki usney bhi daaroo ban ki thi par koni ho paayi ar yaa toh smoking hai koni hove

aage jo jaat bhahiyo ki samajh hai wah toh hai hi

bhagwan sarey bhaiyo ne sad buddhi de

raj2rif
July 6th, 2006, 04:12 AM
Good thread. However what should be defined as a public place.
Tobacco is a big industry rasing a whole lot of revenue as well as providing a whole lot of jobs. Banning smoking at most places would definitely have negative effects on these two fields. Yes, it is bad habit as well as harmful for health. But as we all know, people do smoke.
Educating people is one important aspect of getting rid of this problem.
The other solution would be to earmark smoking places with in restaurants, have smoking and non smoking compartments in trains, have some exclusive smoking places in parks. Have seperate busses for smokers. Difficult but achievable.
If we are talking about pollution, then there are many other things those pollute the environment more than smoking. Throwing garbage on road side is one of them.
Certainly, it should be banned in the areas near educational institutions. I would say sale of these products should not be permitted in approachable distance of the educational institutions.
I think a blanket ban on any thing is fruitless and may be foolhardiness. We need to find a solution. More restrictions you place on people, more they are likely to try it. We have seen effects of prohibition in Haryana last time. It only gave rise to corruption.

monikadahiya
July 6th, 2006, 10:52 AM
I am amazed how people have such narrow outlook. Sirf upari soch hai. Please read this to broaden ur way of thinking

According to the trends, tobacco use is declining in developed countries and is on a steep rise in developing countries. Moreover, in a national household expenditure survey done in India it was found that proportion of total household expenditure spent on tobacco products was highest among poorest households be it urban or rural. The money spent on tobacco if was spent on other necessities of life would have saved half of the children dying today because of malnutrition and it would have helped poor have a little better quality of life. For you sons and daughters of rich people, it doesn’t matter if u spend 2 percent of your income on tobacco products. But a poor man renders his 2 year old kid hungry and his wife without food only to satiate his need for a bidi (which also kills his kid in long run). And when that bidi smoker goes to hospital to get his tobacco related cancer treated, you rich people dont go to their aid. most of these dont even bother about the poor. health care costs arising out of the tobacco related diseases further worsens the situation by throwing them in a vicious cycle of poverty and ill health.

For the sake of that kid and that woman and that bidi smoker ( who cant see his family), it is extremely important for government to interfere to some extent. When I said Tax should be increased, I meant it because these poor smokers are the ones who are the most responsive to only and only price change. And the money from tax should be earmarked for medical facilities and health promoting activities which is the need of today.

No matter how hard you try to teach a rikshawala, do you think he will pay heed to anyone’s advice when today, even educated people don’t bother to listen to anyone’s advice and continue to smoke???

I agree that India gets huge economic gains from tobacco trade. However, burden that tobacco use imposes on people and government offsets the small gains. I am so glad that indian Government has started to take this matter seriously and hence the cigarettes and tobacco products act in 2003. there still are some gaps in its implementation which needs to be looked into.

raj2rif
July 6th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Dear Monica,
The tobacco industry in India does bring food at table for millions of people. It will be nice if you take some time off and visit the Sagar District of Madhya Pradesh. That alone might change your outlook.

While ill effects of smoking are well understood, ill effect of poverty are as bad as that of smoking, may be more for they are more urgent. A child would die much early because of hunger.

Regarding money spent on Tobacco, Vs, same money spent on food. Easy to understand even by a person of semi intellect. We don't require data gathered by some one for that.

There is more food wasted in the world than probably needed by the poor people. If every thing was ideal in the world then we would not be discussing the subject here. The question is how to get to the solution.

I think corruption is more harmful to the society than smoking. How about banning corruption? Can you do it. Can you educate people? The answer is a Big "YES". Is it practical and possible over night? The answer is Big "NO". The question then comes should we try it? I would say, we must. We need to take baby steps and then progress for a more permanent solution.

The question here was of banning smoking in public places. Off course it is already banned. But what is the definition of public place. In strict definition even a home will be a public place unless only one individual is living in it.

There is a need to segregate the smokers. Make them feel, that what they are doing is some thing wrong. Make them pay more for their bad habit. For example, have a environmental tax on their food in restaurants if they smoke. Let them sit in smoking areas and pay more.

It is not the question of rich and poor. Probably poor people smoke more than rich people.

There are a lot of areas that needs to be fixed. One of them cost of medical itslef, that you have raised in your post. But let us concentrate on the thread "should smoking be banned at public places".

We need to find solution to the second problem that would be created by solving first one.

dahiyarules
July 6th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Monika!

So what do you want? You want to put a gun on peoples head and ask them to stop smoking or else?

Thats exactly what legislation is. Laws are passed against the wishes of a section of the society.

Educational programs instead of legislations are more implementative any given day. I tell people not to smoke, drink, do drugs or steroids whenever I get the chance. Voluntary enlightenment inititiatves on the part of of the people is the best solution to stiffle smoking.

And by the way, mathematic logic says that expenditure on tobacco for low income earners will definitely be a bigger proportion of their household income compared to the proportion of the household income of upper wage earners.

Were you trying to twist statistics to gain sympathy?

I am amazed how people have such narrow outlook. Sirf upari soch hai. Please read this to broaden ur way of thinking

According to the trends, tobacco use is declining in developed countries and is on a steep rise in developing countries. Moreover, in a national household expenditure survey done in India it was found that proportion of total household expenditure spent on tobacco products was highest among poorest households be it urban or rural. The money spent on tobacco if was spent on other necessities of life would have saved half of the children dying today because of malnutrition and it would have helped poor have a little better quality of life. For you sons and daughters of rich people, it doesn’t matter if u spend 2 percent of your income on tobacco products. But a poor man renders his 2 year old kid hungry and his wife without food only to satiate his need for a bidi (which also kills his kid in long run). And when that bidi smoker goes to hospital to get his tobacco related cancer treated, you rich people dont go to their aid. most of these dont even bother about the poor. health care costs arising out of the tobacco related diseases further worsens the situation by throwing them in a vicious cycle of poverty and ill health.

For the sake of that kid and that woman and that bidi smoker ( who cant see his family), it is extremely important for government to interfere to some extent. When I said Tax should be increased, I meant it because these poor smokers are the ones who are the most responsive to only and only price change. And the money from tax should be earmarked for medical facilities and health promoting activities which is the need of today.

No matter how hard you try to teach a rikshawala, do you think he will pay heed to anyone’s advice when today, even educated people don’t bother to listen to anyone’s advice and continue to smoke???

I agree that India gets huge economic gains from tobacco trade. However, burden that tobacco use imposes on people and government offsets the small gains. I am so glad that indian Government has started to take this matter seriously and hence the cigarettes and tobacco products act in 2003. there still are some gaps in its implementation which needs to be looked into.

monikadahiya
July 6th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Monika!

So what do you want? You want to put a gun on peoples head and ask them to stop smoking or else?

Thats exactly what legislation is. Laws are passed against the wishes of a section of the society.

Educational programs instead of legislations are more implementative any given day. I tell people not to smoke, drink, do drugs or steroids whenever I get the chance. Voluntary enlightenment inititiatves on the part of of the people is the best solution to stiffle smoking.

And by the way, mathematic logic says that expenditure on tobacco for low income earners will definitely be a bigger proportion of their household income compared to the proportion of the household income of upper wage earners.

Were you trying to twist statistics to gain sympathy?

Sumit,

Why are you taking it in a negative stride?? i never meant root out tobacco from the world....did I ever say that?? i just said that role of government in such cases is vital and cannot be ruled out. If there were no bans the entire world would have been consuming marijuana and driving while drunk. Tumhare hisaab se bhai sab log chalne lage toh aaj sabke ghar mein 4-4 AK 47 hongi aur har roz har parking lot mein char paanch murders honge. Agar government na ho toh there would have been a jungle rule and koi aage nahi badhega. Its only government (a governing body..nothing more!) that can impose some rules and regulations that must be followed. Ban on tobacco use in public places, ban on their advertisement etc are nothing but government trying to bring situation under control and i respect that.

Why would I need anyone's sympathy here. Please get that out of ur head straightaway. That's exactly what i wanted to say that the greater proportion of the salary of a poor goes into tobacco so no money left for families' pivotal needs. Its simple. A rich guy spending Rs 40-50 per day on tobacco wont make any difference to him. magar ek garib usse bhi kam pure din mein kamaata hai...

For your very kind information sumit, health education ALONE has proven to be futile. You can go ahead and beat around your drums about only education, but that is not going to lead anyone anywhere. kisi ko yeh bolne se " tobacco use is injurious to health" us insaan ko koi farak nahi padta. until someone contemplates himself, it wont make any difference to him chaahe usko kitni bhi information de do. Health promotion which is a more holistic approach is a must. That also includes regulation. India mein jaha itni major population poverty line ke neeche hai, jahan literacy/education is a luxury, udhar education ki baat kar ke you are trying to fool yourself.

yogeshjagal
July 7th, 2006, 12:01 AM
I'm not sure if we can ban smoking in all public places.

Gosh! But I can't think of a single public place where I'll be happy to see someone smoking, perhaps in the middle of a desert or sea. :-)

I'm a Non-Smoker and feel good abt it. Though I tried real hard to pick-up smoking during my college days (thought It will look stylish) but I found it absolutely tasteless :-).

Like Monika Dahiya said - smoking habit is picked up at an early age when one is not capable enough to make a right decision.

Test to check if Smoking is Good or bad?
If you find someone smoking in a pulic place such as hospital or in front of kids just give them a hard look at the cigerette and at their eyes. Their reaction will tell you the result. I bet over 80% will move away or throw their cigarette (especially, if its not the last one). :-)