PDA

View Full Version : GRE Writing Topics

dahiyarules
July 8th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Is anyone preparing for the GRE?

I find the writing part of the exam to be the most confusing. Just in case you did not find it on the GRE website, here is the link for the writing topics that may appear on the exam: http://www.ets.org/portal/site/ets/menuitem.1488512ecfd5b8849a77b13bc3921509/?vgnextoid=6a9ca76d0edd5010VgnVCM10000022f95190RCR D&vgnextchannel=06c7e3b5f64f4010VgnVCM10000022f95190 RCRD

If you read the instruction, then read the topic, and then read your response, you may feel lost, just like I do.

However, I am preparing a log of all the topics that I am writing about to prepare for the exam. If anyone else is doing the same and would like to exchange their written responses with me, I would be glad to do so.

Do write about any other issues related to the exam that you may be facing. You never know it may help.

bharatrattan
July 9th, 2006, 05:56 AM
Dear Sumit,
The ability to write essays depends on your general knowledge, vocabulary and english (grammer and composition). You are on the right track by practicing for essay writing. After writing analyse the weakness of your argument and develop an algorithm which should keep your thought process organised in the exam.

They see your ability to develop a logical arguement. They dont look for your ideological affiliation. Despite this disclaimer it is easy to think with the stream than against it. If you are asked to comment on "Terrorism and Modern times", and you justify the struggle of mujahids by adopting a skewed philosophical stand, you will be reprimanded. Never write the Anti-Govt movement of yours in GRE coz they will whip you for showing primary-school caliber at graduate studies.

Get a PDA and practice Vocabulary using Merriam Webster Dictionary card. It has inbuilt theasuarus which is very useful to grow your vocabulary. I have the Baron Word list on word document, which you may like to keep on your computer for easy access and playing with words.
The drawback with any word list is that they don't include very common words which Asians
usually miss. That's why thesaurus is useful.
It won't take long.
Stay Green,
Bharat

dahiyarules
July 9th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Hey Bharat!

Thanks for the tips buddy. Coincidentally I am on the same tracks as presribed by you. I have been using Websters thesaurus frequently. Also, I am using the Barrons list. Hopefully it will be tucked in my mind by th end of the month.

Flashcards help a lot too.

As for the writing, even though they say that the evaluators do not take a stand when looking at the essays, it is humanly impossible. The heart plays out to bias, no matter what. They are University professors, who are generally left leaning. So, I am trying to focus my arguments the conventional way. I have my entire life to write about the way I feel. GRE is not an auspicious occasion to present my POV.