PDA

View Full Version : Knee Pain

nitindev
July 11th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Hi All,

Can anyone please provide me with some valuable info or advice regarding the knee pain which i occassionaly suffer from.Actually this is a sports injury which occured almost 7-8 months back. I used to go for long sessions of running on road and skipping. But on a bad day and on bad road after 5-6 kms this knee pain occured. it's on the right side of my right knee. I consulted the physician also but the visit was not very satisfactory. I took rest for almost six months. I was and i am still able to do short duration of and low intensity workouts but whenever there is some overload(however i should not say that) then this pain troubles me a lot and i feel that I am not fit to pursue physical activities. being a spotsman i get little depressed. kindly suggest me where to seek for proper treatment or anything which i may benefit from.

ritu
July 11th, 2006, 06:37 PM
nitin thts why people are not advised to run on roads.why do not you try to run on treadmill first and later you can shift to road.tread mill has cushioning in it and will protect your injured knee.you can consult aphysiotherapist for exercise for strengthning your knee muscles .you should take care of your knee first you might be knowing that exerting your injured knee can lead to arthritis.take it easy and do not get upset.listen to what your body is telling you otherwise it might get worse and your other knee can be injured.
Hi All,

Can anyone please provide me with some valuable info or advice regarding the knee pain which i occassionaly suffer from.Actually this is a sports injury which occured almost 7-8 months back. I used to go for long sessions of running on road and skipping. But on a bad day and on bad road after 5-6 kms this knee pain occured. it's on the right side of my right knee. I consulted the physician also but the visit was not very satisfactory. I took rest for almost six months. I was and i am still able to do short duration of and low intensity workouts but whenever there is some overload(however i should not say that) then this pain troubles me a lot and i feel that I am not fit to pursue physical activities. being a spotsman i get little depressed. kindly suggest me where to seek for proper treatment or anything which i may benefit from.

balrajsejwal
July 11th, 2006, 07:10 PM
nitin, i think u should go for a treatment , there is a college(IRMAS) which deals in rehabilitation and orthopedics treatement, it is in shiek sarai- phase 2,very near to bhagat singh college and it only charges 50 rs per visit, the timings are 9 am to 5 pm.

itsnavin
July 11th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Hi Nitin
Last year, I also felt the same but with doctor's advise and some precautions, everything is fine now and I am running without any problems. Here is what I followed:
- Avoid running on road or uneven surfaces.
- Get a good pair of shoes, joggers and put some extra cushioning which acts as shock absorbers while running on roads
- Always warm up before running...take up appropriate exercise.
- Use ice packs on your knee many times a day.
- and the most important: Buy a pair of good quality knee support and wear these while running if you have even a little pain.
and if nothing helps, see a physiotherapist.

I hope it helps.
Navin

nitindev
July 11th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for your suggestions and advices. Actually i learned though i learned late, about the precautions while running. So i very rarely run on roads and of course I do wear proper joggers... I can run for 2-3 kms, no problems till there, but after that i just wait for the disaster to happen, it may happen or it may not. Anyways thanks for all the information, I will definetly go to IRMAS.. I just want to be fit.. :)

thanks Ritu, Balraj, navin...

chhillar
July 11th, 2006, 11:07 PM
This looks like an IT Band problem, I have the same kind of knee.

nitindev
July 11th, 2006, 11:33 PM
This looks like an IT Band problem, I have the same kind of knee.

what is an IT band problem... something to do with ligaments..

manu14
July 12th, 2006, 06:59 AM
dear nitin,
its a ligament problem though u have said u took rest but
here i must said in a ligament problem rest is 3 weeks zero wt. bearing on that knee for healing up... have u done that ?
regarding treatment painkillers (simple n best a combination of declofenac n pcm with rantac) are always available but they provide only symptomatic relief
ofcourse not to mention again using grassy surface & even surface for running with good footwear is a must n uc an wear a knee support
then u take help of a good physiotherapist its something which is very effective they do wonders in such problems physiotherapy if done n used dedicatedly can actually make diff in cases where allopathy fails
lastly if condition is still worse go for proper examination of the knee with xray n ct if required then meet a ortho surgeon u may require the lig fixation if its that severe

deepshi
July 12th, 2006, 12:29 PM
hey NITIN, u STILL struggling wid dat prob??

nyways- IRMAS me araam na ho to hame yaad karr lena - hehe
il tell u options dat will really work 4 u, n the place 2 approach!

nitindev
July 12th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Hi Manish,

I did take the rest, rest in a sense that I did not do any strenuous activity, of course walking was a normal inevitable activity. In general I do not have any any problem while walking, running, short sprints, long swims, walking up and down the stairs, lifting weights etc. but when when i do running for a while(over 3-4kms) and when there is some extra exertion, then the pain starts to bother me very badly, unbearably.

Yeah Deepshika, I am still not over with that same problem. Actually i thought i was perfectly fine untill I went to badrinath last week. There I went for hiking and trekking. While I was hurrying down the slopes, the pain occured and i found it difficult even to reach the base camp. I had to literally drag myself back.

Anyways thanks to all for the much needed informaiton. Deepshika neki aur pooch pooch. tell me what do u think is the best for me.

indian
July 12th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Nitin, if you are a competitive swimmer then visit J N Stadium thorough your coach and give your knee rest for quick recovery. Avoid breast stroke & push offs at turns while swimming.

chhillar
July 12th, 2006, 11:38 PM
what is an IT band problem... something to do with ligaments..

It is Illiotibial band(joining hip with knee), aka runners knee. Inflammation in knee occurs due to IT Band tightening resulting into rubbing of tendon with the knee bones. If you take rest the inflammation will die down but when you start running again the inflammation will come back as the band is still tight and will cause rubbing tendon with bone as well as pulling the whole knee joint towards outside.

Drop squats, heavy message on IT Band around knee, rubbing the outside of thigh with a roller in gym, cold knee patch etc. would help releasing the band back to its original length temporarily.

I have gone through the treatment for more than six months with a fellow runner who happened to be a chiropractor too, she has already told me that my long distance running career is over as this problem could be healed or should say diminished to only a level but would never go away.

Another stupid problem that arises because of this is the other leg (which is supposedly fine to start with) will always try to take more loads while running and with the time will surely develop the same and/or worse problems.

This not to shock you, this is a seemingly small problem but believe me doesn’t ever go away. Try to find a chiropractor instead of a half desi physiotherapist.

chhillar
July 12th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Nitin, if you are a competitive swimmer then visit J N Stadium thorough your coach and give your knee rest for quick recovery. Avoid breast stroke & push offs at turns while swimming.

If I go with my experience breast stroke doesn't cause any harm in this situation although it appears so to start with as the pain and inflamation goes up initially but don't quit.

In fact it is very good for knees as it makes joints smoother.

manu14
July 12th, 2006, 11:59 PM
It is Illiotibial band(joining hip with knee), aka runners knee. Inflammation in knee occurs due to IT Band tightening resulting into rubbing of tendon with the knee bones. If you take rest the inflammation will die down but when you start running again the inflammation will come back as the band is still tight and will cause rubbing tendon with bone as well as pulling the whole knee joint towards outside.

Drop squats, heavy message on IT Band around knee, rubbing the outside of thigh with a roller in gym, cold knee patch etc. would help releasing the band back to its original length temporarily.

I have gone through the treatment for more than six months with a fellow runner who happened to be a chiropractor too, she has already told me that my long distance running career is over as this problem could be healed or should say diminished to only a level but would never go away.

Another stupid problem that arises because of this is the other leg (which is supposedly fine to start with) will always try to take more loads while running and with the time will surely develop the same and/or worse problems.

This not to shock you, this is a seemingly small problem but believe me doesn’t ever go away. Try to find a chiropractor instead of a half desi physiotherapist.

good information passed sir ,,,i thought chiropractor is only good in doing or fixing acute lumbago ,LBA sort of spinal column problems
by manipulating the jts. i thought large jts are beyond it
thankyou again
good if it works in ligaments or knee pains
anyways nice option NITIN u can look towards this also bro
but still a dedicated physiotherapist can help or last option is the ligament fixation by surgery

nitindev
July 13th, 2006, 12:39 AM
much information has been exchanged behind me, lol... Yeah even i believe that turns and breast stroke kicks don't cause much trouble..

Amit sir what u said was both a relieving and a heart breaking news, that there is sope of betterment but never a full recovery...but then if this problem ever occurs in professional runners, then does that mean that their career is over...

chhillar
July 13th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Lot of information have been exchanged behind me, lol... Yeah even i believe that turns and breast stroke kicks don't cause much trouble..

Amit sir what u said was both a relieving and a heart breaking news, that there is sope of betterment but never a full recovery...but then if this problem ever occurs in professional runners, then does that mean that their career is over...

You have no idea dear as to how happy I will be to be wrong on the question of full recovery, please don't forget to share the treatment if you get one. Again all I wrote is based on my limited experiences. On the level of doctors' knowledge in India in this field, believe me they don't have much expertise in the area of sports injuries that’s why all cricketers always fly out for even a regular injury.

Apne dactur jattein bolenge “thoda rest karo beta, thodi malish karwao…hojae ga theek, chinta mat karo”

Professional runners? Their careers end just like that due to injuries!

nitindev
July 13th, 2006, 01:16 AM
You have no idea dear as to how happy I will be to be wrong on the question of full recovery, please don't forget to share the treatment if you get one. Again all I wrote is based on my limited experiences. On the level of doctors' knowledge in India in this field, believe me they don't have much expertise in the area of sports injuries that’s why all cricketers always fly out for even a regular injury.

Apne dactur jattein bolenge “thoda rest karo beta, thodi malish karwao…hojae ga theek, chinta mat karo”

Professional runners? Their careers end just like that due to injuries!

perhaps u r quite right on commenting on docs in India on sports injury.. I tried to approach someone in Nehru stadium through my distant cousin who represented india on several occassions in long races. he said:- " arre humse bada bhi koi doctor hai kya, hum batayenge isska illlaj" .. ellele bhai.. the scene is not any diff with docs of the nehru stadium..

Well my quest is on for the treatment. lets hope for the best. whatever i learn i will definitely share with u sir.

chhillar
July 13th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Just so I know, is the knee pain on only while you are running that too mostly after a mile or so?

nitindev
July 14th, 2006, 12:26 AM
yeah that's right it bothers me only after a while, say after a couple of miles, no problems with short workouts, lifting weights or climbing stairs.

chhillar
July 18th, 2006, 12:39 AM
climbing up rarely a problem, it normally hurts me only while climbing down

scsheorayan
July 18th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Nitin,
Do not be disappointed but the signs indicate your knee needs more rest. Don't push it or you may regret it later. Jogging is not the only way to keep fit. Open your mind and explore alternatives. Allow atleast a year or two for your knee to heal completely. Good luck and commonsense.

nitindev
July 18th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Sheorayan Sir,

I understand the complications involved with this problem.. I think i dont have any other alternative, I need to take long rest. actually it's not about keeping myself fit. I actively participate in sports, I compete in triathlon, that is the reason i am more concerned.