PDA

View Full Version : Humanity

hamendra
July 18th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Tuesday, July 18, 2006 (Mumbai):

It has been exactly a week since the terror attacks in Mumbai killed 179 people and left more than 700 others injured.

A story, both bizarre and poignant, has now emerged from the shadows of the Mumbai tragedy.

A construction labourer stole the dead body of a blast victim and claimed compensation to raise money for his wife who is suffering from tuberculosis.

As NDTV began to report the story, it learnt that it also played an accidental role.

Hospital search

For seven anxious heartbreaking days the family of Jitendra Gandhi, who was killed in the Mumbai train blasts, kept looking for him only to later learn the awful truth.

Sagar Vyapari, a construction labourer, stole the body for the compensation money. He said when he heard the news of the blasts, he realised it might be one way to raise money for his wife's treatment.

Sagar and his wife went to Bhabha Hospital a day after the blasts when it was being visited by prominent figures like Shabana Azmi and Javed Akhtar. Like much of the media, the NDTV crew was also present at the hospital.

Sagar was pointed out to the NDTV team as one of the many relatives of the victims of the blast, having a hard time finding his dead father.

"I'm looking for my father. He left home yesterday at 3:30 pm (IST). He said he'll go get some money and come back by 6:00 or 7:00 pm. But we waited all night and he didn't come back," Sagar had said.

"So in the morning, I began looking for him. I've been to two hospitals, but haven't found him. I came to Bhabha. His name isn't on the list, so I went to look at the dead bodies. But I am not able to recognise them. I don't know what to do," he added.

"In my mind, I think he's dead. If he were alive he would have come home. He was travelling by train and now he's dead," added Sangeeta Vyapari, Sagar's wife.

Prompt assistance

Our team went along with Sagar to the Cooper Hospital where he used NDTV's presence to endorse his claim and the body was handed over by the officials.

"Their father has been found. Her husband has identified the body as his father's. We are giving the body to them. The post mortem is going on and soon we will arrange for an ambulance to take the body to their home," said the hospital authorities.

Sagar took the body and used it to claim the compensation money of Rs 1 lakh and cremated the body.

Distraught family

By then the real family of Jitendra Gandhi had already approached the police.

With the police's help they traced down the 28 people who claimed bodies from Cooper Hospital.

Jitendra's son Mitul along with a friend and a team of policemen went to each of the 28 homes pretending to disburse the compensation money.

They zeroed in on Sagar when he hesitated in recognising the body he had claimed as his father's.

"At first when we showed him the picture, he hesitated. His wife came in and the police told them the verification was necessary for compensation. Then he identified the victim Jitendra Gandhi as the person he claimed," said Hitanshu Shah, a friend of the Gandhi family.

Remarkable response

At first the Gandhi family was upset and angry. But when they learnt Sagar's reasons for doing this, their response was remarkable.

They said they would allow the law to take its own course, but also bail Sagar out in the next three months so that he can return to care for his four-year-old son.

After all they say the man did cremate their father in keeping with the Hindu tradition. They have even asked the police not to be harsh on him.

"We are hurt. But when we think about it, if he goes to jail his son will also be affected by it. So may be in two or three months, we will bail him out," said Himanshu.

At one level, it is a terrible story of deceit and that of exploitation of a massive tragedy. But at the same time, it is also about sheer desperation and in the end a sort of redemption.

Or visite
http://www.ndtv.com/template/template.asp?template=mumbaiblasts&slug=Couple+steals+body+for+compensation+&id=19844&callid=0&category=National

devdahiya
July 18th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Bhai hamendra ji...aadammi ka diigya paddya sei........aagge-2 dekhiye hotta hei kya?

hamendra
July 18th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Bhai hamendra ji...aadammi ka diigya paddya sei........aagge-2 dekhiye hotta hei kya?

Dev Sir,

have u read Remarkable response paragraph?

devdahiya
July 18th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Dev Sir,

have u read Remarkable response paragraph?

Yes i did...still it is greed of highest order...reasons not withstanding.Gandhis did what a kind hearted person always does...God bless them.