PDA

View Full Version : Yoga For Good Health

cheelu
July 25th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Hello Everyone

I have been doing yoga from last 5yrs.
I used to teach yoga in India. I learned it from Bharatiya Yog Sansthan.
I also performed some presentations and workshops here.
If anyone has any problem or disease, just write to me. I'll try to provide info in detail. I'll also try to post some pictures of asans.
feel free to write

Monika

mothsara1st
July 25th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Hi monika
i had started yoga recently i want to know what is flow of air when doing yoga .I am not writing particular exercise name as i want to ask it in general e.g. if u are not sure about flow of air for a new heard exercise or exercise which different teacher tell in different ways.
Actually i want to know about logic if any.

One more thing do u do meditation? if u do plz tell me the process.

deepakchoudhry
July 25th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Hi Monika,

That is very good...Yoga is very benefical no doubt.

For how many years you were teaching it.

Right now I'm teaching (or trying to) yoga to my kids...I have found western teachers using animals for different poses quite good esp for indians born abroad.

Kids like being a lion or cat or doing a sun salute. :)

Yoga Sansthan has a very good website too.

http://www.yogsansthan.org/enter.asp

I used to visit their site but on my last visit to India I bought Yoga CD by Swami Ram Dev and I'm using that right now.

Here is another website I really like, Have a look

http://www.yogajournal.com/

Keep up the good work.

All the best.

Deepak

cheelu
July 26th, 2006, 06:53 AM
Hi monika
i had started yoga recently i want to know what is flow of air when doing yoga .I am not writing particular exercise name as i want to ask it in general e.g. if u are not sure about flow of air for a new heard exercise or exercise which different teacher tell in different ways.
Actually i want to know about logic if any.

One more thing do u do meditation? if u do plz tell me the process.

Hello Sujeet Kumar ji

like you have just started doing yoga, do every asans with your normal breath for few days. Because a new person can not hold his/her breath.
Yes there is a very strong logic in breathing while doing asan.
(In standing and sitting positions) INHALE when you are bending backward and EXHALE when you are bending forward or sidewards. While you are exhaling, your stomach will be empty (with out air) and you can bend more than the usual.
(While lying on the stomach and on the back) INHALE when you are raising your leg and EXHALE when you are returing to normal position. When you raising your leg, the air will help the muscles of stomach.
You can easily notice them while doing any asan.
Monika

cheelu
July 26th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Hi Monika,

That is very good...Yoga is very benefical no doubt.

For how many years you were teaching it.

Right now I'm teaching (or trying to) yoga to my kids...I have found western teachers using animals for different poses quite good esp for indians born abroad.

Kids like being a lion or cat or doing a sun salute. :)

Yoga Sansthan has a very good website too.

http://www.yogsansthan.org/enter.asp

I used to visit their site but on my last visit to India I bought Yoga CD by Swami Ram Dev and I'm using that right now.

Here is another website I really like, Have a look

http://www.yogajournal.com/

Keep up the good work.

All the best.

Deepak

Hello Deepak ji

I was teaching there from last three years.
Its really a good thing to teach (or try to teach) yoga esp. to kids.
They really enjoy small challenges and as their body is so felxible they catch evrything very easily.
These websites are really very good.
Thank you for your whishes
Monika

mothsara1st
July 26th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Hello Sujeet Kumar ji

like you have just started doing yoga, do every asans with your normal breath for few days. Because a new person can not hold his/her breath.
Yes there is a very strong logic in breathing while doing asan.
(In standing and sitting positions) INHALE when you are bending backward and EXHALE when you are bending forward or sidewards. While you are exhaling, your stomach will be empty (with out air) and you can bend more than the usual.
(While lying on the stomach and on the back) INHALE when you are raising your leg and EXHALE when you are returing to normal position. When you raising your leg, the air will help the muscles of stomach.
You can easily notice them while doing any asan.
Monika

Thanks Monika
This will really help me............but could u guide me in starting meditation ..if u have some suggestion or any brief book on maditation.......

cooljat
July 26th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Monica ji
ram ram!

I've been practicing yoga, pranayam & martial arts for last 3 years!
Im really glad to read ur post, I'll write some of Asana's name & there after we can share our Yoga knowledge, rather I can learn from u!

Rock on
Jit

PS - btw do u know about Tibetian Yoga excericies!?

monikadahiya
July 26th, 2006, 11:22 PM
I bought Yoga CD by Swami Ram Dev and I'm using that right now.

Deepak

hey deepak,
We bought that DVD too. But came to know that a couple of asans in that DVD are incorrect..for e.g. kapaal bhati and anulom vilom too.
infact Ramdev ji himself said it on Aastha channel that he was teaching kapal bhati aasan incorrectly. So make sure you are doing the asans in right way.

cheelu
July 27th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Monica ji
ram ram!

I've been practicing yoga, pranayam & martial arts for last 3 years!
Im really glad to read ur post, I'll write some of Asana's name & there after we can share our Yoga knowledge, rather I can learn from u!

Rock on
Jit

PS - btw do u know about Tibetian Yoga excericies!?

hello mr. jeet

the discussion on asans.....that will be very interesting:) :)
Yoga is originated and developed in INDIA.........
i dont know about tibetian yoga excercies :-(
according to my point of view, forgieners just change those poses which they can not do, coz of dat little change they also change the name..
like in canada, People use a soft cousion to sit coz they cant sit on sheet or on grass.........
there r alot of different types of yoga acc to each countries.what's ur thinking bout dat types??
Monika

deepakchoudhry
July 27th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Hi Monika,

I have also read "The heart of Yoga" by T K V Desikachar to get a second opinion on what swami ram dev was saying but to be honest I didnt find much difference.

As I have been practising it I find certain things I need to adjust to my body type. I think there is no 100% right or wrong way.

Age, Body type, enviornment, Health conditions, diet etc will have some impact on the practise and one might have to change it slighlty to suit the needs.

So I feel just become aware how body is responding to the practice and change / modify as neccessary.

Deepak

deepakchoudhry
July 27th, 2006, 02:03 PM
hello mr. jeet

according to my point of view, forgieners just change those poses which they can not do, coz of dat little change they also change the name..
like in canada, People use a soft cousion to sit coz they cant sit on sheet or on grass.........
there r alot of different types of yoga acc to each countries.what's ur thinking bout dat types??
Monika

Origins of Yoga is in India..no doubt but people will change names or modified according to their environment.

But to take the point a bit further Yoga is way of life not just set of excersices. But that is too a vast topic to be discussed on this forum.:)

cheelu
July 28th, 2006, 02:14 AM
Mediation means concentration. Before doing that we have to concentrate on seven centres of our body. We can do that through asans and pranayam. However this is not necessary.
There are a lot of techniques of meditation. For those who want to start, they can start with …..
INTROSPECTION OF DAILY ROUTINE.

This is very useful before going to bed. Sit in Padmasan or in any asan in which you can sit more than five or ten minutes. Close your eyes and take five long and deep breaths. Whatever work has been done from the morning till that time, Observe serially and think over it. Think whether you have performed all duties rightly or wrongly. If done wrongly, take a vow not to repeat it the next day. Go on reflecting on the failing with a determined mind.

Whatever we resolve to do the previous evening, try to follow it next day. Do it every night before going to bed. Judge yourself where you were wrong or where you have to improve.
This way all our fault, negative thinking and failings will disappear.

I'll write about the OM- RECITATION technique in next post.

Monika

cheelu
July 28th, 2006, 03:18 AM
Origins of Yoga is in India..no doubt but people will change names or modified according to their environment.

But to take the point a bit further Yoga is way of life not just set of excersices. But that is too a vast topic to be discussed on this forum.:)

Its true that yoga is a very very very vast topic to discuss on this forum.:)
we'll keep it simple and straight.
people get inspiration and very little knowledge to start something.
we are try to give that little knowledge so that they get aware about their health and especially about the increasing health problems in future.:) :) :) :) :) :)
keep writing
Monika

cooljat
July 28th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Hi Monica,
thanks for replying
btw u wanted to know about Tibetian Yoga, for now just visit - http://www.tibetanyoga.com

Im in kinda rush, but soon will shed some light on Tibetian Yoga & my personal exprience with it & also input Asanas & Pranayam I do regularly!

godspeed!

Rock on
Jit

hello mr. jeet

Monika

deepakchoudhry
July 28th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Little Triviva for all you Yoga Fans.

Can someone answer who started Paranayam and Surya Namskar.

Hint: Both were started by the same Diety.

Pls dont google for the answer that would be considered cheating..just take a wild guess.:)

cheelu
July 29th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Little Triviva for all you Yoga Fans.

Can someone answer who started Paranayam and Surya Namskar.

Hint: Both were started by the same Diety.

Pls dont google for the answer that would be considered cheating..just take a wild guess.:)

hello Deepak ji

I don know who started Paranayam and Surya Namskar but lemmi guesss.........hmmmmmmmmm
i think so.......INSAAN NE.......
ab chahe wo sadhu ho, sant ho ya koi bhagwan ho sabse pehle to wo insaan hi the.....

could u plz tell the right answer??u'll be the first person who asked and answered this.:)

Monika

deepakchoudhry
July 30th, 2006, 04:52 AM
The answer is Hanuman ji.

Paranyama as he was the son of Wind God and Surya Namaskar as respect to Lord Sun, who was his Guru.:)

Hanuman also means Man Ka Hanan karnay wala. Which is the practice of yoga is all about. Control of desires and reaching for the higher goal.

deepakchoudhry
July 30th, 2006, 04:55 AM
Monika, One question for you

How do you rate Surya Namaskar. Is it the best Asan of all.

Thanks

cheelu
July 30th, 2006, 05:11 AM
Monika, One question for you

How do you rate Surya Namaskar. Is it the best Asan of all.

Thanks

Sun is the main source of enery for the entire universe.There are five fires and seven electric centres in it.Like wise in our body there are five fire glands and seven enery centres (chakras). Surya Namaskar is the only asan which activate all glands and chakras. The 12 different postures of this asan, concentrate on different chakras. This is the best asan in all.

Monika

cheelu
July 30th, 2006, 05:12 AM
The answer is Hanuman ji.

Paranyama as he was the son of Wind God and Surya Namaskar as respect to Lord Sun, who was his Guru.:)

Hanuman also means Man Ka Hanan karnay wala. Which is the practice of yoga is all about. Control of desires and reaching for the higher goal.

Thank you for telling exact answer with the reason:) :)

Monika