PDA

View Full Version : Sharing exciting journey moments

desijat
July 26th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Hum sab jab yaatra karte hai to ajeeb ajeeb se kisse hote hai, aur wo kisse hamari zindagi mein ek yaad ban jate hai.....

Let us all contribute our memories here to make everyone smile or to touch hearts of each other :)

Be it train, bus, or Air Travel......

rkumar
July 26th, 2006, 03:36 PM
I will be writing about my first air trip to UK in 1974 when there were no direct flights... Please wait for the details as today I am busy winding up my things in UK and moving back to India tomorrow.

RK^2

dahiyarules
July 26th, 2006, 03:53 PM
I have had near death experiences on my travels.

1. In 1999 someone pushed me out of a trai nnear Karnal . Since my stuff was missing when they found me, I assume it was an attempted robbery.

I was in and out of hospitals for the next 2 and a half years of my life.

2. I went white water rafting in Tennessee in 2004. It was the same course that they used in the 1996 Olympic games. One of the harshest that mother nature can offer.

Our raft flipped and I fell off in the river. Let me put it this way. The water current was so intense that when it smashed me against a rock, on my chest, I thought I died. It squeezed all air out of me and I was left in shock.

Others were lucky. They got swept off down the river to where the current wasnt that bad.

I stopped swimming after that incident. I dont even lay my feet in the pool. I have a good friend who goes out deep in the Gulf of Mexico to tow boats for the Coast Guard. It used to be so much fun. Weekends out in the sea. Its all over. That incident stole so much fun out of my life.

What a coincidence. I am leaving for a 10 day vacation after I am done writing this. No crazy things this time. Just plain sightseeing.

desijat
July 26th, 2006, 05:18 PM
I will be writing about my first air trip to UK in 1974 when there were no direct flights... Please wait for the details as today I am busy winding up my things in UK and moving back to India tomorrow.

RK^2

Have a nice flight sir

monikadahiya
July 26th, 2006, 10:22 PM
this makes me laugh whenever i think of it. that was in 2002. british airways. mere mommy papa and other relatives had come over to the airport. just before entering into the airplane I looked back and said to my parents " aati hun fer" (i ;ve been told to say aati hun whenever i leave the house" and not to say jaa rahi hun!!). everything was fine. plane took off nicely. almost 1 hr later jab pakistan ke upar pohoncha ..toh woh TV mein najar aaya ki mera plane gol- gol ghumne lag gaya!!! it took 4 turns. I thought shayad aisa hee route lete honge:D :D ( it being my first international flight). hahahajab 12-15 baar ho gya..i thought" hey bhagwan, kaheen hijack toh nahi ho gya woh bhi pakistan ke upar:eek: :eek: .. hahahahaha.. then announcement hui ki waapas delhi jana padega because of some technical snag.
After reaching delhi, i called home and told them to come to this particular hotel. Dad and mom aaye aur dekhte hee bole " aa gayi fer"...:D :D hahahahhahaha it still makes me laugh so much ki kya kya soch rahi thi main :p

choudharyneelam
July 27th, 2006, 06:31 PM
this makes me laugh whenever i think of it. that was in 2002. british airways. mere mommy papa and other relatives had come over to the airport. just before entering into the airplane I looked back and said to my parents " aati hun fer" (i ;ve been told to say aati hun whenever i leave the house" and not to say jaa rahi hun!!). everything was fine. plane took off nicely. almost 1 hr later jab pakistan ke upar pohoncha ..toh woh TV mein najar aaya ki mera plane gol- gol ghumne lag gaya!!! it took 4 turns. I thought shayad aisa hee route lete honge:D :D ( it being my first international flight). hahahajab 12-15 baar ho gya..i thought" hey bhagwan, kaheen hijack toh nahi ho gya woh bhi pakistan ke upar:eek: :eek: .. hahahahaha.. then announcement hui ki waapas delhi jana padega because of some technical snag.
After reaching delhi, i called home and told them to come to this particular hotel. Dad and mom aaye aur dekhte hee bole " aa gayi fer"...:D :D hahahahhahaha it still makes me laugh so much ki kya kya soch rahi thi main :p

hahahahaha.....Monika tumhara incident padh ke mujhe bhi hansi aa gayi

zigyasa
July 27th, 2006, 07:07 PM

hahaha
sahi hai monika
it make me laugh too:) :p

rekharathee
July 27th, 2006, 07:27 PM
hahaha
sahi hai monika
it make me laugh too:) :p

it made mee laugh too:D

desijat
July 27th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Aisa hi kuch mere chacha ke sath hua
He was suppose to take this flight to Boston frm Delhi

He was flying KLM, to wo sab jake plane mein baith gayee, taxi ki and then announcement hui ki due to tech snag flight is delayed n thy were thn sent to hyatt

Wahan se chacha called home n chachi picked up he said Hi

Chachi - Hersh tum pagal ho gaye ho maine mana kia tha amsterdam se phone mat karna. Boston ja ke karna:mad:
Then chacha told her ki he is in Hyatt she was so embarassed.. :P

desijat
July 27th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Just a few days back unfortunately mujhe Indian Airlines se travel karne ka mouka mila

:(

Delhi to Hyderabad

Subah 11:30 ki flight thi, and late ho gayee byhalf hour which is very normal for IC, khair hum 12:05 aircraft mein baithe... itni garmi as if AC naam ki cheez isme hai hi nahi

ar uste uparla meri seat tuti ar flight Full

khair wo budha aircraft runway pe gaya

Usme itna sada hua muzic baj raaaa ki neend aane hi wali thi

Pilot ne accelerate kia... Zoooooommmmmmmmmmm

Jahaj ne raftar pakdi ar jib dikha uddan aala pilot ne brake maar di

gudgudgudgudgudgudud Sara jahaj hil gaya usme baithe ek ek ka kaleja hil gaa

sabne aage aali seat ka sahara liya thamne ki lia apne aap ku... plane ruk gaa

taxiway pe aayaa ar aake domestic bay pe khada ho gaya

Pilot bolya ak iske Engine ki takeoff limit khatam ho li thi

Susre pe itna gussa aaya ak ise yaa takeoff te pahle naa dikha thi kee:mad:

fer aadhe ghante garmi mein bithaya ar pher dusre hawai jahaj mein bithaya

ar yu aala uste bhi budha jahaaj Itna deemag kharabh hua us din par theek thaak pahunch gayee

It being a hobby,i clicked some pics with my cell phone of the flight...chk thm

desijat
August 1st, 2006, 03:59 PM
Did people stopped travelling?

sunitahooda
August 1st, 2006, 04:46 PM
Vikas....562 page ki kitaab syammi khulli(band) paddi sai....3rd nai parcha sai....exciting to door non-exciting bi kimme na soojh ra....yaadasht kamjor paddri ibja:D ;)

desijat
August 3rd, 2006, 12:04 PM
acha best of luck hai are re re re 3rd to aaj hai

koi ni aake bata dena kassa parcha hua

rkumar
August 3rd, 2006, 10:12 PM
Friends,

Let me share my first air travel experience with you all. I was working in Physical Research Laboratory Ahemdabad as research scholar way back in 1974 when like most others of my type I developed the craze of going overseas. On 19th September 1974 I got the admission letter for Masters in Medical Physics at Aberdeen University in UK and was asked to join the same from Ist October. So in all I had 11 days and the tasks to be completed were;

1. to get a passport
2. Foreign Exchange
3. VISA
4. Tickets

It was 2 PM when I got the letter and I had just Rs. 10 in my pocket. I went to a friend (who later on joined IIT Delhi, and later on passed away because of cancer) and borrowed Rs. 30.00 for train tickets to Delhi. I caught evening train to Delhi and reached my village next day evening. As you all know, a farmer hardly has much money during the month of September and my father was no different. He could find only Rs 3000. My uncle gave me another 3K and like wise I went around other elders in the neighborhood if they could land me any cash. Everyone extended the helping hand to the extent possible and in about 5 days I had the entire amount required for my studies. It was almost 25th and I was ready to leave again for Ahmedabad. My mother saw me off right at the gate of our house and my father came to see me off up to the bus stand in Shamli. I arrived in A'bad next day. Getting passport was a big job and I knew no body that could help me. I went around everyone one but no help in sight. Suddenly a guy came from nowhere and his name was Atul Punjabi. He took me directly to the office of Regional Passport Officer. After hearing my story he promised to issue me a passport as soon as possible. To my surprise, I got the PP within two days. Now came the turn of Foreign Exchange. It was so difficult to get it in those days. One had to apply to RBI even for one$$. Procedures were too cumbersome. My great Engel friend Mr Punjabi again took me to RBI office directly and could manage to get everything done same day. It was almost 30th September by this time and I still needed the VISA. On 1st October I took the train to Bombay and managed to land into British High Commission. I was told all sorts of stories about difficulties in getting VISA. I just handed over my admission letter and the copy of the bank passbook to the officer in Embassy. He accepted my application and directed me to various doctors for Health Checks. I could complete them all same day. Next day it was 2nd October and all offices were closed. I returned to A'Bad. In those days telephones were just hopeless. One had to literally shout to make other side hear. On 4th October I could finally get British High Commission on line and they confirmed about my visa. That seemed to be the most pleasant news I had ever heard for a very long time. I was already flying almost on 9th cloud. I told everyone one about my leaving PRL and going to UK. I could see everyone falling over each other to invite me for dinner or tea or whatever. I was like a star suddenly. This was the charm associated with these foreign trips in those days. Now came the turn of buying the air ticket. Earliest I could get was 11th October. I had no option and had to wait. On 11th October I arrived at Bombay airport. My belongings were just one airbag, which had a Bhargawa dictionary also. I could see the airline agent almost astonished at the amount of my belongings and how I am going to manage in UK. Anyway, I entered the aircraft and it was like seeing something never imagined. My body and mind were totally out of tune with each other. I was sitting in my seat almost like a wet cat, unable to communicate anything with anyone. I was eating whatever I was offered. It was too much of an experience for a guy like me who never traveled anything other than a local buss or third class train compartment. There were no direct flights in those days. Our plane landed in Tehran, Beirut and then in London. It was 4 PM in London and raining. I was hardly prepared for that whether and had no time in India to take any guidance. I had no clue about Aberdeen and its location in UK. As soon as I came out of the airport, I asked the enquiry about Aberdeen and the mode of travel to that place. I was told that I have to catch overnight train from Kings Cross. Reaching to Kings Cross was my first problem. I was having lots of difficulty in understanding the names of places. I was shivering in the cold and the rain. Some how I managed to reach Kings Cross by bus. By this time I was feeling very hungry and could see nothing around where from I could get anything to eat. I was too scared to enter any building and ask anyone for help. I could see young boys and girls running and kissing each other for the first time in my life. This was almost landing in some imaginary world for me. May be it was like reading Quantum mechanics book for a guy who could hardly read Hindi. I boarded the train at 9 PM. It was too cold for me to sit inside train. I could not sleep whole night and hunger was too strong to bear. However, I had no alternatives. Train arrived in Aberdeen on the morning of 12th October. It was a Saturday. The only address I knew was of the admission office. I reached the office of dean, which was closed. Only security man was there. In India we had 6 days week in those days and I had no clue about Saturday as being a nonworking day. I waited till about 9 AM thinking that office will open. However, not a bird was visible except that security man. He finally approached me and asked as to why I was standing. I told him about my story. He took me to a nearby building where some students were sitting. One of them took me to a university guesthouse and got a guest room organized thought it was my hostel room forever and had no clue that I had to vacate it within two days. I was too hungry and tired to think about all that. I went to hostel canteen and looked around for something to eat. Only think I could make some sense, was milk, bread and butter. So I took the same. It was not enough, but I hardly had any option and I was vegetarian and had no courage to ask anyone about any other food item. So I returned to my room once again half hungry. Now it was the turn to find my department. I asked some one and could hardly understand what all he told me. I ventured out and some how managed to locate the department. I dropped a small note in the department about my arrival. Next day I reached the class and could hear a lecture teaching. There nothing I could understand in that class. It was hardly an hour in the department that I got a call from course coordinator. He informed me that I had to vacate the guest room. That was a real shock to me. I went running to the hostel and asked for alternative accommodation. There none available and I was directed to meet the hostel superintendent. I went to his office. His name was Mr Roberson, a very tall man. I told my story to him. He looked at me from head to toe and asked as to why I came all the way without booking a hostel room. I told him that I had no time to think about hostel, as I was so busy about other things like Passport etc.. I still remember and he told me that he had seen lots of idiots but none like me who can come all the way without having hostel room confirmed. However, in next breath he told that he had never seen someone lucky like me for who a room was vacated by someone only few minutes back. He gave me the room and congratulated also. I came back and moved to my hostel room.

This was my story friends.. sounds so silly now, but it was a real experience of my life.

RK^2

desijat
August 3rd, 2006, 10:24 PM
RK uncle

aapki post padh ke ek baat to sachi hai ki agar lagan ho aur sachi icha to insaan safal jarur hota hai

Dusra, mouka har kisi ki zindagi mein aata hai, bas kuch log pehchaan sakte hai aur kuch nahi.....

Truly an inspiration

deepakchoudhry
August 4th, 2006, 02:17 PM
RK Uncle,

Nice Story. It just shows things were so different back in the 70's.

And Air Travel was restricted to rich and the privildged.

I was so excited the first time I travelled by Air but thankfully with my Dad.

Deepak

deepakchoudhry
August 4th, 2006, 02:20 PM

Hi Monika,

Very nice...:)

Thanks for sharing it.

Deepak

deepakchoudhry
August 4th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Just a few days back unfortunately mujhe Indian Airlines se travel karne ka mouka mila

t being a hobby,i clicked some pics with my cell phone of the flight...chk thm

Vikas kahin DTC bus main toh nahin baith gaye the....ha ha ha

You have summed IA in your post.

Privatise IA thats what I would say.:)

fool4love
August 4th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Ek din hamare man mein viman yatra ka khyal aaya
kabhi bail-gadi par baithe nahi the, hawa mein udne ko dil aaya
Hawai-adde pahunche to ticket–counter ko nadard paaya
Jab hamne ek mahashay se pata pucha to unhone hamari naak ki seedh wala kamara batlaya.
Hum un mahashay par thoda muskraye, kyonki apni naak ki seedh mein hamne kude-daan ko rakha hua paya.
Jab ticket–counter pahunche to ek lambi si katar ko khada hua paaya
Garmi se behaal ho kar jub hamne apni ticket dekhi to number 420 likha paaya
Hawai-jahaj mein chadhe to air-hostess ne apni nazron ko hamare libas ki tarf dodaaya.
Yaatriyon ki hame dekh kar ghighi bandh gayi, jab air-hostess ne hamara taarukh
hamare ticket number 420 se karvaya.
Hamane bhi badni shaan se apna kala chashma naak par chadha kar kaanon par lagaya.
Yaatri badi besabri se viman ke udne ka intizar kar rahe the kyonki hamari daya se viman 4-5 ghante se nahi tha ud paaya.
Jab hamne ek shakhs ki aur dekha to unki shakl ko hmare adhyaapak ji ki shakl se milta hua paaya
Ek jor se awaaj hui, aur hamne apne ko jameen par leta ua paaya
Maa ne jor se awaaj di aur hame hamari gahari neend se jagaaya
Yah thi hamari viman-yatra kahiye aapko kaisa anand aaya.

deepakchoudhry
August 4th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Wah Wah Kamal...Bahut badiya Paya.:D

monikadahiya
August 4th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Ek din hamare man mein viman yatra ka khyal aaya
kabhi bail-gadi par baithe nahi the, hawa mein udne ko dil aaya
Hawai-adde pahunche to ticket–counter ko nadard paaya
Jab hamne ek mahashay se pata pucha to unhone hamari naak ki seedh wala kamara batlaya.
Hum un mahashay par thoda muskraye, kyonki apni naak ki seedh mein hamne kude-daan ko rakha hua paya.
Jab ticket–counter pahunche to ek lambi si katar ko khada hua paaya
Garmi se behaal ho kar jub hamne apni ticket dekhi to number 420 likha paaya
Hawai-jahaj mein chadhe to air-hostess ne apni nazron ko hamare libas ki tarf dodaaya.
Yaatriyon ki hame dekh kar ghighi bandh gayi, jab air-hostess ne hamara taarukh
hamare ticket number 420 se karvaya.
Hamane bhi badni shaan se apna kala chashma naak par chadha kar kaanon par lagaya.
Yaatri badi besabri se viman ke udne ka intizar kar rahe the kyonki hamari daya se viman 4-5 ghante se nahi tha ud paaya.
Jab hamne ek shakhs ki aur dekha to unki shakl ko hmare adhyaapak ji ki shakl se milta hua paaya
Ek jor se awaaj hui, aur hamne apne ko jameen par leta ua paaya
Maa ne jor se awaaj di aur hame hamari gahari neend se jagaaya
Yah thi hamari viman-yatra kahiye aapko kaisa anand aaya.

hahahahha kamal...
hadh ho gi yaar!!! itne dhyan te padha yo sauda arr ending mein sapna paaya yo te..... waise mazedaar tha ekdum :p

vins9981
August 4th, 2006, 10:46 PM
hi all,
i have been travelling in planes since i was 14yrs old.
but there was just one flight which i remember the most.
the flight from new delhi to singapore to tokyo to sanfrancisco to new orleans in march 2001.
singapore airlines all the way.
i made friends with airport workers.
in new delhi, after checking in my luggage and going through customs i just wanted to say final goodbye to my parents but a haryanavi police man stopped me, "re chore je tu baarne gaya te tane ulta na ghoosan doonga".
i replied " mere maa arr babu baarne khade se, unke aashirwaad liye bagaiyer mein naa jaoonga"
his name was hawaldar sumandar singh, jat from village asoda sonipat.
he escorted me to meet my parents and along with my parents blessings i recieved his blessings too.

desijat
August 5th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Ek bar mein GOA expressse Dilli aa raha tha

To raste mein mhare baraber pe jo RAC wali birth ho uspe ek sardar taang thau so raha tha,ar uske upar ek lugai ar uska balak

balak tha chotta to usne moot diya ar wo moot aake gira sardar ke munh pe, sardar utha ar lugai ku kaha bahanji aapke bete ne mere munh pe moot diya :mad:

Lugai jhep si gayee kahti, na ji wo to bottle se pani gir gaya hoga - usne baat palatne ki koshish ki

sardar bolya - manne bekoof maanri ke, mein taste karya hai yo:p

Hahaha bhaio yaa kattei asli daastaaan hai

deepika
August 5th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Four months back when i boarded AIR INDIA flight from HONGKONG it was a horrifying experience.........i couldn't find my seat number coz it was too confusing so i asked one hostess to assist me anddddd.....that lady was very rude..........then i closed my eyes for a while dreaming of landing in INDIA and suddenly one loud and hash voice scared the hell out of me.......she was hostess and screamed'ORANGE JUICE' very close to my ear.....damn it was pathetic......AIR INDIA hostesses really screwed me up........i think they need to learn how to behave with passengers........may be they should learn it from Cathy Pacific,Lufthansa,British airways or even from Indian Airlines crew

desijat
August 5th, 2006, 08:47 AM
My experiences with Air India has been fine, certainly not with IC (indian airlines)

AI stuffs u with food, n tht too good indian food, that is what i like about it. And Air Hostess whom i have come accross on my flight with Air India have been quite good , though they were not young but were well dressed and quite pleasent to talk to and look at.

abhay
August 8th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Four months back when i boarded AIR INDIA flight from HONGKONG it was a horrifying experience.........i couldn't find my seat number coz it was too confusing so i asked one hostess to assist me anddddd.....that lady was very rude..........then i closed my eyes for a while dreaming of landing in INDIA and suddenly one loud and hash voice scared the hell out of me.......she was hostess and screamed'ORANGE JUICE' very close to my ear.....damn it was pathetic......AIR INDIA hostesses really screwed me up........i think they need to learn how to behave with passengers........may be they should learn it from Cathy Pacific,Lufthansa,British airways or even from Indian Airlines crew

lol....Can't stop laughing...guess why????

I hv had similar experience while i was on board Air India on the way to Bangkok. Air Hostess spill coffee over me while serving it and when i looked at her with surprise, she had the guts of asking me...whether i had a tissue paper or she should get one for me. I was shocked to see this kind of service. Moroever, she was one old sick looking Air Hostess. I think she was frustrated from the time she boarded the flight. She was so rude that i didn't feel like eating anything on the flight.

This was my first and the last experience with Air India. I have had the best of the experience with other international airlines but Air India...trust me never ever again...

shailendra
August 9th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Ha! Ha! Good, so now that this is turning into a real Air India bashing thread, I too shall try and steer it back to some similar exciting air journey moments:

No, not on Air India, but definitely about an Air-jouney (or more specifically; about what happend before it on the airport).....also, I apologize for describing an actual incident that was not personally my own experience but that of a friend's actually!.... But then it is so amazing and also so recent (about a couple of weeks ago) that it is definitely worth reading about!!!

[Also, and more importantly this tells you a lot about how some of us may always think of how things have to do with racial backlash and ethinic issues, but the plain fact is that the times on security issues after 9/11 have changed forever everywhere, doesn't matter what race or ethinicity! Period!...]

Alright, a lil' bit about this friend of mine first; he is an American-American (gora dude) sports a reddish craggy beard (almost like the unabomber!)... thin and tall like a rail and was on his way to be the best man on his friends wedding in Washington DC.

As luck would have it (and thanks to all those great air travel online prices) he had the trip to DC and back on two separate airlines...(getting interesting now; remember these details)
....and of course being a procastinator was there a lil' late and so after the check-in, was rushing madly looking for his gate... and in due time now getting a lil' panicky he of course starts asking people if they know where C-4 is!!! LOL! (now just to put this whole scenario in perspective; C-4 is also the name of an explosive! :D ).... and the next gents he stops and inquires of innocently, of course are non other than two security officers there....and after asking the same question (keep his description in mind) is promptly told,"Sir, you can't be going around doing this... please, you need to come with us, right now!"....

long story short, after a whole bit of questioning in a back room, with some suit-clad agents and explaining his one-way ticket and after showing his boarding pass (with the in-famous gate's name/number on it) is finally let off, just in time to make his flight .... no doubt feeling a sigh of relief and a whole lot more smarter (and not to mention; with very much shaved off whiskers now)!!!

desijat
August 9th, 2006, 01:26 AM
Bhai nyu to bata
uski flight miss na hui

shailendra
August 9th, 2006, 01:51 AM
Bhai nyu to bata
uski flight miss na hui

Well, like I wrote, sab kare paache Flight tae suane mil ge thee!....;)