PDA

View Full Version : Capital punishment....whats your say ?

keshavdahiya
August 11th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Question is that whether Capital punishment/penalty is justified or not..?
and how many countries have this punishment till date..?

Capital punishment means condemning a criminal to death, regardless of the method of execution used. Execution by the state has a long history, and legislation around the issue is still changing.
Amnesty International keeps an updated tally of countries with and without (http://web.amnesty.org/pages/deathpenalty-countries-eng) death penalty laws. The organization also notes which countries have a moratorium on capital punishment or haven't had executions in many years. Currently, 87 countries (http://web.amnesty.org/pages/deathpenalty-abolitionist1-eng) have completely abolished the death penalty, and another 27 countries do not use capital punishment in practice. One of the earliest death penalty bans was in Venezuela in 1863. The most recent was the Philippines in June of 2006.

All European Union countries (http://ec.europa.eu/comm/external_relations/human_rights/adp/index.htm) have abolished the death penalty. Any country wishing to join the Union must follow suit. As this map shows, capital punishment is most often found in Asia and Africa, plus the United States.

Countries and territories still using capital punishment include Afghanistan, the Bahamas, China, Cuba, Egypt, India, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, North and South Korea, Libya, Malaysia, Pakistan, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Sudan, Syria, Thailand, Uganda, and Vietnam.

The U.S. government and its military allow the death penalty. Capital punishment is legal in 38 American states. Meanwhile, these states have abolished it: Alaska, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. The District of Columbia also doesn't have the death penalty.

shamshermalik
August 11th, 2006, 07:24 AM
I am in favour of capital punishment though my profession is to save lives.

I think in case of minor rapes also where prooved beyond doubt the punishment should be capital punishment...and also in gang rape cases the punishment should be capital punishment.

mothsara1st
August 11th, 2006, 09:08 AM
In ancient time Capital punishment may be justified because people were innocent and if some body did a serious crime,he or she was given capital punishment. At that time justice was not biased.But these days scenario is not same .Evidances are bought and sold.Even we can not believe girls also.so to make capital punishment a norm can not be justified. if Crime
is increasing we all are at fault.Capital punishment is not a solution at all.

sansanwalamit
August 11th, 2006, 09:54 AM
I unwillingly support capital punishment when I think of mass murderes, terrorists and corrupt individuals whose corrupt mistakes cost many lives. But I am very anti capital punishment when I think of innocents getting punished. As mentioned above its very easy to buy and sell evidences and witnesses in today's world, and if we notice the statistics then hardly any rich one or famed terrorsit has ever sat on the electric chair. There have been many cases in which innocents have been prosecuted, hence I see myself leaning towards abolishing this practice. Anyways taking life is a dire sin and I would not like to see my tax dollar being spent to kill someone, making me a partner in crime as well.

So my verdict goes for abolishing capital punishment.

shamshermalik
August 11th, 2006, 10:17 AM
What you guys will say about a case in which a high school student is raped and then murdered brutelly. The evidence is clear and even the sperm DNA matching done to proove the evidence.

Do you think such people have a right to live??? Atleast I donot think so.

sansanwalamit
August 11th, 2006, 10:28 AM
What you guys will say about a case in which a high school student is raped and then murdered brutelly. The evidence is clear and even the sperm DNA matching done to proove the evidence.

And what will you think when you get to know the people who were caught and accused were actually not the ones who had done the crime, say they got framed by a series of unfortuante events. Wouldnt it be too late if they are already hanged or electrocuted?

dahiyarules
August 11th, 2006, 11:09 AM
I am anti-capital punishment because I am pro-life.

However, if the victim feels it necessary to punish the cuplrit in anyway he or she may feel would be fair, I do not care if they throw the convinct the fires of hell.

shamshermalik
August 12th, 2006, 12:29 AM
And what will you think when you get to know the people who were caught and accused were actually not the ones who had done the crime, say they got framed by a series of unfortuante events. Wouldnt it be too late if they are already hanged or electrocuted?

I already said it should be beyond all doubts.

rohittewatia
August 12th, 2006, 01:48 AM
I guess it is better to make such people handicapped for life rather killing them.

poonam
August 12th, 2006, 02:08 AM
Well, for me, the idea of punishing someone would be to make him realize where he went wrong and try my best to make sure he never repeats it irrespective of the nature of the crime committed. Period!

I'm not an advocate of capital punishment at all. What do you think, all those countries who have a system of capital punishment for ages got complete eradication of all the heinous crimes. The answer is NO.

For the pro Death penalty: Mark my words, there could be punishments worse than death if deserved.

mothsara1st
August 12th, 2006, 09:47 AM

Definitely that is case of capital punishment ....but we can not cosider a single case .....duniya bahut badi ...aur isme har kism ke kam bhi hote hain ....in each case u can get such..evidance ...but yet cases may be more complicated....then what they seem to be.

shamshermalik
August 15th, 2006, 01:41 AM
Well, for me, the idea of punishing someone would be to make him realize where he went wrong and try my best to make sure he never repeats it irrespective of the nature of the crime committed. Period!

I'm not an advocate of capital punishment at all. What do you think, all those countries who have a system of capital punishment for ages got complete eradication of all the heinous crimes. The answer is NO.

For the pro Death penalty: Mark my words, there could be punishments worse than death if deserved.

Poonam if you see the prison records..you will find many such prisoners who are historysheetors..habitual offenders..they do crime get caught and then get free..then again repeat the crime and so goes on the cycle for them.

I will tell you a case that happened in Punjab..no region bias here just mentioning a case. A man more than 40 years raped a minor girl..got imrisonment and then got free after prison term..then he raped more than 10 girls of age between about 6-14or 15 and even murdered many of them.

And he proudly accepted that he raped all these girls to take revenge of previous imprisonment...and all his crimes were well planned. We cannot call such planned crime to be because of psychiatric disorder other than anti social personality/

You must be knowing of mass murders done by gangsters and sometime also for property. In Haryana few years ago a MLA Relu Ram and his family was killed by his own daughter just because of money. If these gangsters are allowed to be in prison then they run their network from prison. There are some cases which qualify for capital punishment.

I am not in favour of capitall punishment for each case but yes in some henious crimes its better to illiminate that person but only in few beyond doubt cases.

Punishments only donot illiminate crime..but its a check for those who sometime may commit a crime in rage or due to circumstances.

THere are worse punishments then death penalty but then these persons become a liabilty on our society.

Shamsher

poonam
August 15th, 2006, 02:21 AM
I am not in favour of capitall punishment for each case but yes in some henious crimes its better to illiminate that person but only in few beyond doubt cases.
Shamsher

Shamsher, you have a point there.

Guess, its just me, I would not end someone's life and would prefer,perhaps, life sentence in isolation over death sentence (those criminals deserve punishment which they can feel, death is too little and easy a punishment for them..)

shamshermalik
August 15th, 2006, 03:11 AM
Shamsher, you have a point there.

Guess, its just me, I would not end someone's life and would prefer,perhaps, life sentence in isolation over death sentence (those criminals deserve punishment which they can feel, death is too little and easy a punishment for them..)

Poonam i would agree to that if that life sentence with isolation is followed these crminals will find various reasons to end up in hospitals..and moreover than their relatives will start bribing the prison officials and believe me in a country like India where there is too much corruption it will only add to corruption.

You are right in your openion but then I am sure in India it would never be followed..there are many loop holes and corruption in our system..so thats why I said they will become a liability on our society when they donot deserve it.

keshavdahiya
August 16th, 2006, 09:04 AM
...for justice to prevail, some killers just need to die

I wud say that becoz, When someone takes a life, the balance of justice is disturbed. Unless that balance is restored, society succumbs to a rule of violence. Only the taking of the murderer's life restores the balance and allows society to show convincingly that murder is an intolerable crime which will be punished in kind. Retribution has its basis in religious values, which have historically maintained that it is proper to take an "eye for an eye" and a life for a life. For the most cruel and heinous crimes, the ones for which the death penalty is applied, offenders deserve the worst punishment under our system of law, and that is the death penalty as we consider under law. Any lesser punishment would undermine the value society places on protecting lives.

Although the victim and the victim's family cannot be restored to the status which preceded the murder, at least an execution brings closure to the murderer's crime (and closure to the ordeal for the victim's family) and ensures that the murderer will create no more victims....

just imagine the following situation..."a young mother was rendered helpless and made to watch as her baby was executed. The mother was then mutilated and killed. The killer should not lie in some prison with three meals a day, clean sheets, cable TV, family visits and endless appeals. For justice to prevail, some killers just need to die" and so death penalty justifies the situation although not true in all cases as dicussed by our freinds where the case is made up and the culprit escapes and the sufferer is someone else.....:(

sumitsingh
August 23rd, 2006, 08:26 PM
i dont knw exactly wher it is legalised and where it is not!!!

for me personally, i dont think so that another human being has this right to kill an human !!!!!! when a person kils some one , how we give him punishment is by killing himsellf too..... that is like our society is killing him legally!!! i mdont think so that human being has this right to kill some one evenlegally!!!!!!! if thy really want to pacify that person he should be keep in the prison!!!!!!!!!! waise toh i am an extreme athiest...but in commanment 5 of chrstianity it is written that " thou shall not kill anyone" means our society( ourself) dont hav any rite to kill anyone who is human, atleast!!!!

i dont bthink so tht all ihav written is absurd!!! if u think so , can give ur relative n rational queries n reply!
all d best! hac ggod day

Question is that whether Capital punishment/penalty is justified or not..?
and how many countries have this punishment till date..?

Capital punishment means condemning a criminal to death, regardless of the method of execution used. Execution by the state has a long history, and legislation around the issue is still changing.
Amnesty International keeps an updated tally of countries with and without (http://web.amnesty.org/pages/deathpenalty-countries-eng) death penalty laws. The organization also notes which countries have a moratorium on capital punishment or haven't had executions in many years. Currently, 87 countries (http://web.amnesty.org/pages/deathpenalty-abolitionist1-eng) have completely abolished the death penalty, and another 27 countries do not use capital punishment in practice. One of the earliest death penalty bans was in Venezuela in 1863. The most recent was the Philippines in June of 2006.

All European Union countries (http://ec.europa.eu/comm/external_relations/human_rights/adp/index.htm) have abolished the death penalty. Any country wishing to join the Union must follow suit. As this map shows, capital punishment is most often found in Asia and Africa, plus the United States.

Countries and territories still using capital punishment include Afghanistan, the Bahamas, China, Cuba, Egypt, India, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, North and South Korea, Libya, Malaysia, Pakistan, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Sudan, Syria, Thailand, Uganda, and Vietnam.

The U.S. government and its military allow the death penalty. Capital punishment is legal in 38 American states. Meanwhile, these states have abolished it: Alaska, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. The District of Columbia also doesn't have the death penalty.

shamshermalik
August 25th, 2006, 08:57 AM
waise toh i am an extreme athiest...but in commanment 5 of chrstianity it is written that " thou shall not kill anyone" means our society( ourself) dont hav any rite to kill anyone who is human, atleast!!!!

And What does Bhagwad Geeta says..hope you knows that too. What Sri Krishn says to Arjun when he was not ready to fight with his gurus and relatives.

sumitsingh
August 25th, 2006, 12:24 PM
sir, i can understand your felling about those brutal and inhuman persons .who commit such kind of crimes! me too hate them and obviously eveybody does the same!

but if you think by giving them death sentense you can repay the life of a raped girl or...... it can nhot be! secondly, you are in favour of them because you believe in judicial system here.. that is not always right,people can easily evade their sins! so better we have a system where we should firrstly prevent people to commit such crimes, 2ndly, those whi did so0 shopuld be degraded and give uncompromisng life impressionment,without any exumption!! but death panelty i shoulnt think a viable way!! acoording to you , if we give them death panelty. everyday 1000 people will get that!!
and persons who are giveng them death panelty are human too!!!!so it is very complicated to kill someone for his or her sins that is nt always sure that been commited or not in reality!

BYE BYE ..

SIR MAY I KNW YOU,, do u knw jagvir singh sinhmar or dr. pardeep bamel...

And What does Bhagwad Geeta says..hope you knows that too. What Sri Krishn says to Arjun when he was not ready to fight with his gurus and relatives.

roopak
August 25th, 2006, 06:17 PM
My Dear Emerging Director/Producer,

Well if you think keeping and feeding a hardcore/Habutual Offender in prison will make this society sin free or heaven...............thn u've absolutely taken birth in wrong era............

this will be like mudrers ko jamai banna ke khatir daari karna..............i m not saying every mudrer or rapist should be hanged but it should depend upon the circumstances and the mensrea involved in tht crime............(hope u understand mensrea coz i knw u appeared for law entrance but cudn't make it)

In a way u r right whn u say v cant repay the life but atleast by hanging the offender we can set an example so that these filthy crimes should not take place again.....nobody should even think of attemting the same...........we already have our prisons over crowded for one reason or another (due to corrupt system , slow judiciary and sant mahatma like u.....who really luv to feed these criminals..................

I'll give you an example.............the kandhar episode would have not happnd if the terrorist who were demanded in exchage of Passengers, were killed in encounter rather thn kept in prison................

And wht do you think killing a person means , just taking one life..........nahi bhai sahab..........see the number of humanbeings who gets affected due to his death..............................indirectly its like playing with number of life so i think u need to think again on ur view................

killing is fun for those but keeping thm under imprisonment is not........no i dnt think so.

kill those right away!

it wil save rtime,money,life everything!

Rupender Singh

sir, i can understand your felling about those brutal and inhuman persons .who commit such kind of crimes! me too hate them and obviously eveybody does the same!

but if you think by giving them death sentense you can repay the life of a raped girl or...... it can nhot be! secondly, you are in favour of them because you believe in judicial system here.. that is not always right,people can easily evade their sins! so better we have a system where we should firrstly prevent people to commit such crimes, 2ndly, those whi did so0 shopuld be degraded and give uncompromisng life impressionment,without any exumption!! but death panelty i shoulnt think a viable way!! acoording to you , if we give them death panelty. everyday 1000 people will get that!!
and persons who are giveng them death panelty are human too!!!!so it is very complicated to kill someone for his or her sins that is nt always sure that been commited or not in reality!

BYE BYE ..

SIR MAY I KNW YOU,, do u knw jagvir singh sinhmar or dr. pardeep bamel...

sumitsingh
August 25th, 2006, 07:51 PM
sir , i would like to quote u on quandhar case!!! sir, do u8 think legal system is responsible to take on such matter here!
that i would like to be done by military......... that is a diffrent case, those were not social crimanals.do u consider them human being.. i dont!!
so let them be apart from this issue!!!!! there can be many other ways to set an examples.... anways bhai talk to u phn,, tired now!!1 have lods of work to be done,,,, phn von kar liya kar!

take care

My Dear Emerging Director/Producer,

Well if you think keeping and feeding a hardcore/Habutual Offender in prison will make this society sin free or heaven...............thn u've absolutely taken birth in wrong era............

this will be like mudrers ko jamai banna ke khatir daari karna..............i m not saying every mudrer or rapist should be hanged but it should depend upon the circumstances and the mensrea involved in tht crime............(hope u understand mensrea coz i knw u appeared for law entrance but cudn't make it)

In a way u r right whn u say v cant repay the life but atleast by hanging the offender we can set an example so that these filthy crimes should not take place again.....nobody should even think of attemting the same...........we already have our prisons over crowded for one reason or another (due to corrupt system , slow judiciary and sant mahatma like u.....who really luv to feed these criminals..................

I'll give you an example.............the kandhar episode would have not happnd if the terrorist who were demanded in exchage of Passengers, were killed in encounter rather thn kept in prison................

And wht do you think killing a person means , just taking one life..........nahi bhai sahab..........see the number of humanbeings who gets affected due to his death..............................indirectly its like playing with number of life so i think u need to think again on ur view................

killing is fun for those but keeping thm under imprisonment is not........no i dnt think so.

kill those right away!

it wil save rtime,money,life everything!

Rupender Singh

chhillar
December 6th, 2006, 12:29 AM
The real test is when somebody's own child is raped and then murdered, opinion of all these parent's of the victims as to whether the capital punishment is justified or not is the real opinion to me