PDA

View Full Version : Testing Ads on Jatland Forums

ndahiya
October 3rd, 2006, 05:49 AM
Hi

We are currently testing limited ads for non logged-in visitors on the forums. However, the ads will not appear once you log in.

The purpose of the ads is to help make the site self sustaining for a move to a faster server and to improve login rates.

Please discuss in this thread.

Nitin

arunshamli
October 3rd, 2006, 06:33 AM
Hi

We are currently testing limited ads for non logged-in visitors on the forums. However, the ads will not appear once you log in.

The purpose of the ads is to help make the site self sustaining for a move to a faster server and to improve login rates.

Nitin

As long as it is not a popup ad, its ok with me:) .

raj_rathee
October 3rd, 2006, 08:31 AM
Oh No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yahan par bhi ads? :(

anilsangwan
October 3rd, 2006, 09:01 AM
Nitin Bhai and other mods,

whether for login or not login members, I am against ads on our website.

My suggestion to all mods and members:

I can understand that we need financials for upkeep of the site, but most the members can very well contribute for a new and fast server. We can buy a new server and host the site on the same.

Putting ads is not a better option in my opinion and it will reflect bad on us and on our site part. The kind of attachment ppl get now will not be there. And, definitely a new user will think twice before joining in the site as he might not be aware that he will not get ads after login.

Also, if we want to increase the login rate, we can only show thread titles to non logged in users and prompt them to login to read the full article. Good threads will always make users login.

Other members - Request you to please share your views and correct me if I am wrong.

desijat
October 3rd, 2006, 10:19 AM
Even am against Ads on Jatland.

Community should not be matched with profitability.

However if liquidity is an issue, we all can come ahead and share the site running expenses.

rameshlakra
October 3rd, 2006, 10:19 AM
Hi

Nitin
I think it is a very good idea, provided the ads are decent and appear only prior to logging.

Regards

itsnavin
October 3rd, 2006, 01:32 PM
Why not? Google powered ads would be a great idea as they are content based. I support this idea if the ads are no too flashy and they don't appear as popups.
Moreover, it shouldn't matter whether you are logged in or not..revenue generation chakra should always be spinning!

Cheers

vijaykumar
October 3rd, 2006, 05:43 PM
I support adds as long as they are decent and not pop up based ...

anshumalik
October 3rd, 2006, 07:03 PM
Hi Nitin,

I think ads are not a bad idea at all. JATLAND needs to be self sustainble to start with and in the longer run should be a profit making venture and the revenue generated should be used for upliftment of the community.
We still have a long way to go before we are able to address issues like
education, child marrige, unemployment etc.

Keeping in mind the the sentiments of other JATLAND members who are not very keen for this development, I think pop-up ads should be avoided.

Another first can be to have ads of SWADESHI companies and organisation. A seperate section where all JAT enterprenure can post there ads/product specs etc can also be introduced so that intra-community trade and bussiness activities are encouraged.

Thanks n Regards

Anshu

dayvraj
October 3rd, 2006, 07:30 PM
is the site presently on a dedicated server ?

kharub
October 3rd, 2006, 09:16 PM
if the Ads target non-members i.e guests then why should we oppose it ......

as long as there are no ads in members forum its all good .......

It is good for the site .. why should only Nitin and a selected few members pay for the maintainence and upkeep of the site ..

If all the members oppose ...then they should also be willing to pay a nominal membership to keep the site ad free ... so that the burden is evenly shared among all members

Be ready to contribute if you want the site to be ad-free .. I however do not see any problem with this proposal

rkumar
October 3rd, 2006, 09:22 PM
I find nothing wrong if ads are selected and meaningful. After all ads are for services and products and we all need to know them. If get to know about them while visiting Jatland, what is wrong ? I therefore support meaningful ads.

RK^2

jeetahlawat
October 4th, 2006, 04:57 AM
as other worthy members have already suggested various reasons to have ads.... its a good idea to keep them limited to pre log-in only otherwise it will kill the charm of the website..........

GO AHEAD!!!!!

VPannu
October 4th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Its not a bad idea to show ads on here. They could be able to generate some revenue for upkeep of the website.
But they shouldnt be shown like cable tv, in which we could see less of movie and more of ads.
I hope my message is clear enough.:)

skarmveer
October 4th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Nothing wrong in it, if we are able to generate sum funds I think it is good.

Please make sure the limit.

Karmveer Chahal

ndahiya
October 4th, 2006, 05:44 PM
is the site presently on a dedicated server ?

Currently we are on a shared host, but the site has become somewhat sluggish. Do not think we need a dedicated server yet, but a VPS (virtual private server)should do. Also, based on initial data, the revenue from the ads will only be enough to cover a VPS...

I support adds as long as they are decent and not pop up based ...

No pop ups. just inline ads.

Please make sure the limit.

We hope to have one set of ads on top for non-logged in members. the second set at the bottom is really "static" for google tools, as they have a good payout ($1-$2 per download/use), and are arguably useful.

mann123
October 6th, 2006, 12:18 AM
It is good idea we should go a head to make the jatland.com self sustained and resoruceful.

anooplather
October 6th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Today Is The Era Of Advirtisment . There Should Not Be Any Hesitancy On Posting Ads Ifthe Raised Amount Is Spent For Anything In The Intrest Of The Jatland Or The Jats:)

ndahiya
October 6th, 2006, 03:51 PM
just an update: seeing fewer ad clicks than i would have thought... :(

vijay
October 9th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Nitin Sir,

Plz don't expect too much as members or guests are just interested in that what is happening at jatland and these type of ads are everywhere on Net.

If Jatland really need some financial support, just tell us frankly we will click on those ads or we can contribute to maintain it.

You decide.

Regards
Vijay

ndahiya
October 10th, 2006, 04:17 AM
it was merely an observation. as again, the idea is not to make it obstrusive or for it a money machine. but think it'll be able to cover the cost of the hosting...

i am also a little surprised that so many ppl are ok with the ads. :)

netrapalsingh
October 10th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Hi

Nitin

I think it is a very good idea

netra....

narenderkharb
October 10th, 2006, 12:53 PM
it was merely an observation. as again, the idea is not to make it obstrusive or for it a money machine. but think it'll be able to cover the cost of the hosting...

i am also a little surprised that so many ppl are ok with the ads. :)

Its a nice idea ,we just can't ignore economics.You are the best judge in this case .

WE CAN ONLY ASSURE YOU OUR BEST CONTRIBUTIONS WHETHER IT IS CLICKING ON ADS OR CONTRIBUTING FINANCILY.

shekhar_nehra
October 11th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Dear all,

I believe its good idea to raise funds and make JatLand self sustaining by introducing some useful adds [text only] for nonmembers/ members area as decided on this forum. The question remains what these adds will be ; similar to google supplied by some 3rd party or adds by Google itself ?

Regards

Shekhar Nehra

anilchahar
October 11th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Hello Mr. Nitin,

My full suport to u for site upgradation,
no problems in dispalying ads after all it is
in the benifit of our loving site and to all Jats

it is a good idea without putting any efforts we can
maintain the site in a better way .

or we can put a membership fees per year for maintenance purpose
of this site.
Nitin u r doing a good job for our community so we are always with you
thanks a lot dear for your sincere efforts

ndahiya
October 30th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Somewhat surprising that so many people are ok with ads.

For now, we'll restrict ads only for visitors (not logged in), though in the future, we might try and experiment with a more broad distn...

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

rgsverma
October 30th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Somewhat surprising that so many people are ok with ads.

For now, we'll restrict ads only for visitors (not logged in), though in the future, we might try and experiment with a more broad distn...

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Thats the good and feasible solution.
The ad should be visible only to non-logged
or guest members.

I think the site is lacking in some technical aspect, because it loads
up very slowly, compared to other sites, which opens up
very fast and quickly. May be some other reason is behind the snag,
but if we could improve it through the expenses either by ads or by
contribution (we can decide it), it will be better for all..It is so
slow sometimes, that it is very irritating.

Anyway, our support to the administrators for the better upkeep
and other issues, which they deem fit to decide.