PDA

View Full Version : What is Real Patriotism???

xpwhistler
October 15th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Hi Friends,
This is my first 2 cents contribution to the Discussion Forums on this great website. I have been a constant visitor to this site for the last some 18 months or so and been reading the views and trying to understand exactly how people behave in different situations, at different places and in different needs.
Well, I must say, my views may offend some readers, and I tender my sincerest apologies for any discomfort caused. Coming to what I have to say in my very first public contribution to this site, is this.
We, Jats, have been well recognised for our loyalty and bravery to serve our country in various situations. We have been acknowledged as a force to reckon with in different wars, our great country (India) has been forced upon. No one can doubt the bravery and bravado of a jat in any situation whenever and wherever the country needs.
Now, the million dollar question is,, what happens to this feeling when Jats decide to leave India and settle either in US, UK, Australia or any other country for that matter. I have not come across even one person who has shown any allegiance to their present country, rather, they are still floating in the ocean of dreams that in reality they had to abondan long time ago. Whats the point in becoming a Chaudhary sitting in sydney or in NY or in London and passing judgements on the system that they couldnt cope with and left. We still pat on our backs for being brave and blah blah blah,, we rave on our proud history of jat heroes and list just goes on.
So, who are we in the first place, a Jat or an Indian or the citizen of the country that gave us shelter, refuge, oppportunity to fulfil our dreams?
Please comment.
Apologies for any displeasure caused to anyone.

rkumar
October 15th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Points raised are very valid. However, If one has the will, he/ she can serve the nation and community from USA, UK etc. There are people who are doing it. Also there are people who don't do it whether they are in India or outside. Distance is not an issue anymore. Major issue is attitude and commitment. If Bil Gates can run his business in all the countries sitting in USA, I find no reason why same can not be done by a Jat or anyone else. Its just a matter of will power and commitment to the cause. I agree with you that empty words won't take us far. These words have to be translated into action on the ground. Jatland is certainly serving well in shaping our views. People like Ram Arya have done great job for community and have become role models for many of us.

Let us not look at glass half empty.. Ofcourse our members can do much more than what they are doing. May be in course of time they will join hands for greater national cause.

RK^2

kharub
October 15th, 2006, 08:21 PM
I totally agree with Rajender Ji there ........

deepakchoudhry
October 16th, 2006, 02:39 AM
Hi Friends,
This is my first 2 cents contribution to the Discussion Forums on this great website. I have been a constant visitor to this site for the last some 18 months or so and been reading the views and trying to understand exactly how people behave in different situations, at different places and in different needs.
Well, I must say, my views may offend some readers, and I tender my sincerest apologies for any discomfort caused. Coming to what I have to say in my very first public contribution to this site, is this.
We, Jats, have been well recognised for our loyalty and bravery to serve our country in various situations. We have been acknowledged as a force to reckon with in different wars, our great country (India) has been forced upon. No one can doubt the bravery and bravado of a jat in any situation whenever and wherever the country needs.
Now, the million dollar question is,, what happens to this feeling when Jats decide to leave India and settle either in US, UK, Australia or any other country for that matter. I have not come across even one person who has shown any allegiance to their present country, rather, they are still floating in the ocean of dreams that in reality they had to abondan long time ago. Whats the point in becoming a Chaudhary sitting in sydney or in NY or in London and passing judgements on the system that they couldnt cope with and left. We still pat on our backs for being brave and blah blah blah,, we rave on our proud history of jat heroes and list just goes on.
So, who are we in the first place, a Jat or an Indian or the citizen of the country that gave us shelter, refuge, oppportunity to fulfil our dreams?
Please comment.
Apologies for any displeasure caused to anyone.

As you have asked the question, Can you also pls give your views on this subject. :)

skarmveer
October 16th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Yash Brother,

Its not mattered where we settle, for me we do something for well being of
first for Family, second for Cast, thired for state and than for our Nation and
after that we definately do some good things for place we are liveing in.

If we are doing some thing for our family we are paying our first instalment of loan to the socitey then cast-state-nation and the palce if we are not in our countery.

Karmveer

xpwhistler
October 16th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Bhai Karamveer,
Nice one.. Couple of things though, I would like to throw some light on..
1. What you are implying is that the country (our adopted country) that gave us the opportunity to fulfil our dreams, gave us the chance to earn money, gave us basically everything that we have today, should still come last in our order of priority. Jahan ka namak khate hain, wohi country sabse neeche list mein. Ye Namak Harami nahi hai to phir kya hai Bhai? Most of the people who have settled abroad, become citizens of other countries (me included) decided to leave India either because of our greed or to achieve something that was not possible in India or for greener pastures or out of frustration with the system.
2. Whenever they become citizens of any other country they have to take a pledge of total allegiance to their country by the mind and body. They take the oath to defend their new country in any circumstance. I doubt most of them have any intention of doing so in real life situation. We all hate being used by anyone, but most of us do exactly the same to our adopted country.
Thats why I posted this thread titled, "What is real patriotism???"
I know most the reader will not agree to what I said publicly, but they know the truth inside their hearts......

skarmveer
October 16th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Bhai Yash,

From where you get these dream, are that countery(adopted by you) accept you without your basic eduction and good health--from where
you got these things.

Brother :- without your family tell me your existance.
without your brotherhood(Cast) tell me about your childhood.
without the state belongs to your family, tell me about your
basic education.
Without our Nation tell me your nationality.
And without your adopted countery every body tell you your
existance.

Out of first four you are uable to delete any single step but without your
adopted countery you show your existance. That adopted countery is
till now your last step. You are able to sustain without your last step but
you are unable to show your existance with first four.

I am sorry if I hurt you--Nature says first come first serve.

When ever you are able to pay your loans-you pay first loan first then
only you are a good pay master.

Karmveer Chahal

Bhai Karamveer,
Nice one.. Couple of things though, I would like to throw some light on..
1. What you are implying is that the country (our adopted country) that gave us the opportunity to fulfil our dreams, gave us the chance to earn money, gave us basically everything that we have today, should still come last in our order of priority. Jahan ka namak khate hain, wohi country sabse neeche list mein. Ye Namak Harami nahi hai to phir kya hai Bhai? Most of the people who have settled abroad, become citizens of other countries (me included) decided to leave India either because of our greed or to achieve something that was not possible in India or for greener pastures or out of frustration with the system.
2. Whenever they become citizens of any other country they have to take a pledge of total allegiance to their country by the mind and body. They take the oath to defend their new country in any circumstance. I doubt most of them have any intention of doing so in real life situation. We all hate being used by anyone, but most of us do exactly the same to our adopted country.
Thats why I posted this thread titled, "What is real patriotism???"
I know most the reader will not agree to what I said publicly, but they know the truth inside their hearts......

vikaskajal
October 16th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Everyone has affection for his/her roots. And Jats are not the only one who posses this feeling. For e.g. take Australia.Untill today Queen of England, is the constitutional head of Australia. Same is the case with Canada.
It doesn't mean citizens of these countries are not patriotic. But only that they still regard their roots and hereditary.
To me this is another effect of globalisation.People spend their life in different countries but still ,they wanna belong to country of their birth. You wont find this conflict in the second or third generation of migrants.
Today we have the option of second citizenship etc and I think its healthy realization of dilemma which migrants have to face.

downtoearth
October 16th, 2006, 10:34 PM
we r nuts n tearing this society.....drink sm wine ,eat sm food,, eat sm pig if u feel like,, get over urself n b nice. the world wouldb better off...:rolleyes::cool::rolleyes:...

shailendra
October 17th, 2006, 02:46 AM
...Hmmm, interesting!
Let me try and squeeze the main concern from your original post. (jiase ke kahve hai na,"Sau baton ki ek baat!")

The main premise of your post:
Jat (Born in India)=goes to a Foreign Country= Lo and behold but Sorry, Not Patriotic anymore!
Right? Was that the basic 'nikaal' of the post?...

Sorry, but that is the most convoluted, cockeyed and baseless theory I have ever heard about us NRI's ever!...

This is a discussion that will take all forms and meanings in all kinds of posts and heated arguments in the past and will continue to do so in the future, but let me tell you the roots of this argument have been based even on the age old theory that jab ek maanas gaon chod kae sheher jaata hai, to bade-boodhe yehi kehte hain,"Ake beta, ude kae milega? Kyalein apne gaon nae paaraya kare sai???"....Now the right or wrong to that major decision by the youth depends who you talk to....the bada-boodha, who are proud inheritors of the 'Gaon-meri-janam-bhoomi' or the young educated guy out to make the best for himself in the sometimes even the big bad world of the City....... Now all I can tell you is that it doesn't take a Rocket scientist (or an elaborate discussion on 'Patriotism') to decipher that the lad out trying to make the best in the City has nothing to do with his or her love for the Gaon, his ties and his patriotism! Period.

Stop being guilty like some national traitor of what you ended up chosing of life and with a head held high at least try and be an Indian wherever you go or be, or in whatever form you can or be!!! :rolleyes:

yashmalik
October 17th, 2006, 11:10 AM
NRI Yash bhai

Have you ever thought the feelings you expressed here might have been experienced by other NRIs also. I agree that not every NRI is patriotic but the majority of them is. Leaving the motherland can be a bad thing but serving isnt, no matter where you are.

India in 2005 received approx. 24 billion USD from NRIs around the world and stood at the top of the charts followed by China with 23 billion USD. There are appoximately 20 million NRIs living around the world. Not everyone send or contribute but most of them do.

If eveyone would think like this then we wouldnt have Lakshmi Mittal, Lord Swraj Paul, Bobby Jindal, Hinduja's, Patel's marking their presence in the world bussiness news and calling themselves "proud to be Indian". Mittal steel faced problems in taking over arcelor due to Mittal's Indian passport and yet he didnt left it and at last he won.

pnauhwar21
October 17th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Real patriotism for your country is that you consider it as close as your family..it could be as simple as not throwing your empty food pack on road, not breaking the redlights, doing things as you do in the foreign country (though in fear of hefty fines!!)..

Being patriotic is nothing to do with where you stay. As far as you care about your people, you care about your country and try to mend the wrong things in your country however small the contribution may be you are patriotic to your county. And there is no point in measuring other peoples patriotism as it will require a much much big mass of positive energy to correct the mindset of all people in our country. So, start with doing small things for your country whenever you go there or help the needy persons by sending dollars.

Every Indian staying in india is not patriotic and every person staying in US/ Australia/ Britain is not a traitor. Its all about money, career, your needs and priorities and a little bit of selfishness but still you can keep your patriotism alive and be a socially good person.

vijay
October 18th, 2006, 03:48 AM
Real patriotism for your country is that you consider it as close as your family..it could be as simple as not throwing your empty food pack on road, not breaking the redlights, doing things as you do in the foreign country (though in fear of hefty fines!!)..

Being patriotic is nothing to do with where you stay. As far as you care about your people, you care about your country and try to mend the wrong things in your country however small the contribution may be you are patriotic to your county. And there is no point in measuring other peoples patriotism as it will require a much much big mass of positive energy to correct the mindset of all people in our country. So, start with doing small things for your country whenever you go there or help the needy persons by sending dollars.

Every Indian staying in india is not patriotic and every person staying in US/ Australia/ Britain is not a traitor. Its all about money, career, your needs and priorities and a little bit of selfishness but still you can keep your patriotism alive and be a socially good person.

I agree with Prashant word to word. Nothing else to say.