PDA

View Full Version : Death Sentence to Saddam Hussain

dahiyars
November 9th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Death Sentence to Saddam Hussain
The death sentence on the ousted president of Iraq, Saddam Hussain is nothing but a totally rigged verdict delivered after a farcical trial. The defense lawyers representing Saddam Hussain were murdered and the Chief Judge was changed twice in the course of the trial. The British and US governments should realize that if executed, this sentence will be seen only as a ‘Judicial Assassinationand they will be held responsible for all the consequences.
R.S.Dahiya

pssangwan
November 11th, 2006, 07:25 PM
The death sentence on the ousted president of Iraq, Saddam Hussain is nothing but a totally rigged verdict delivered after a farcical trial. The defense lawyers representing Saddam Hussain were murdered and the Chief Judge was changed twice in the course of the trial. The British and US governments should realize that if executed, this sentence will be seen only as a ‘Judicial Assassinationand they will be held responsible for all the consequences.
R.S.Dahiya

What Bush did in Iraq was just high-handedness, an international GUNDAGARDI, to siphon the oil resources of Iraq to the family business of BANEEYAN BUSH, and even the Americans have realized it and they have slapped him on the face, in this election. Bush is and WAS only a businessman in politics like BHAJAN LAL AND OMPARKASH CHAUTALA. Let us shun such people everywhere and find and respect the persons who have some concern for the betterment of all.
Saddam Hussain WAS AND STILL IS a MARD. Though he was a dictator, but he was never a fanatic or terrorist.
Dr. Partap Singh Sangwan.
Sangwan Hospital
Uklana Mandi Distt. Hisar Haryana -125 113
Ph. 01693-233077, 233677, 235077, 9416044077
pssangwan@rediffmail.com

arunshamli
November 11th, 2006, 07:36 PM
R.S.Dahiya

Dahiya ji, according to you what should have been the right punishment for Saddam?

dahiyars
November 13th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Dear Dr Partap Singh ji and Sh. Arun Kumar ji,

Thanks for the comments. Really a difficult point to answer in a straight forward way. At one time Saddam was a blue eyed person of America till he towed their line.The moment he started challenging their line, he became their enemy.We All know what America has done to Iraq.In my view-

"Establishing the truth and ensuring accountability for the crimes committed during the past regime will assist in furthering national reconciliation and dialogue in Iraq in the future. The nature of the crimes as well as the necessity of national reconciliation mean that all the trials have to be conducted respecting all the requirements for a fair process,"
R.S.Dahiya

dndeswal
January 1st, 2007, 05:57 PM
The news about Saddam Hussain's hanging on 30 December 2006 has now supressed under New Year festivities all around. Here is an interesting article about the soft side of the man.

American nurse recalls softer side of Saddam (http://www.samachar.com/showurl.htm?rurl=http://headlines.sify.com/news/fullstory.php?id=14360429&headline=Nurse~recalls~softer~side~of~Saddam)

Monday, 01 January , 2007, 09:34

St Louis: An American nurse who cared for Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein after his capture has recalled a different side of the man than the usual brutal portrayal.

This Saddam - the Iraqi leader who was executed before dawn on Saturday for human rights crimes - wrote poetry, told of reading his children bedtime stories and fed birds crusts of bread saved from his meal.

From January 2004 until August 2005, Master Sgt Robert Ellis was the senior medical adviser at the compound near Baghdad where Saddam and other ‘high value detainees’ were jailed. Ellis, 56, an operating room nurse in St Charles, said he had been ordered to do whatever was needed to keep Saddam alive.

"That was my job: to keep him alive and healthy, so they could kill him at a later date," he told the St Louis Post-Dispatch for Sunday's edition.

Ellis said Saddam was confined to a 2-by-2.4-metre cell in solitary confinement at Camp Cropper. He had a cot and a small table where he kept some books and the Quran, two plastic chairs, a prayer rug and two wash basins. An adjoining cell kept basic medical supplies, a defibrillator, intravenous solutions and oxygen.

Ellis checked on Saddam twice a day. He wrote a thorough ‘situation’ report daily about Saddam's physical and emotional status.

Saddam told Ellis that cigars and coffee kept his blood pressure down, and it seemed to work. Saddam would insist that Ellis smoke with him.

At one point, Saddam went on a hunger strike, refusing to eat when the guards would slide food through the slot on the bottom of his door. But when they changed tactics and opened the door, he started eating again.

"He refused to be fed like a lion," Ellis said. When he was allowed short visits outside, Saddam would feed the birds crusts of bread saved from his meals. He also watered a dusty plot of weeds.

"He said he was a farmer when he was young and he never forgot where he came from," Ellis said.

He said Saddam never gave him trouble, and didn't complain much -- and if he did, it was usually legitimate.

"He had very good coping skills," Ellis said.

Saddam shared with Ellis happier times, when his children were young: how he told them bedtime stories and how he would give his daughter half a Tums when she complained of a stomach ache.

When Ellis told Saddam he had to leave for America because his brother was dying, Saddam hugged him and said he would be his brother.

"I was there to help him, and he respected that," Ellis said.

Saddam never discussed dying and expressed no regrets about his rule.
"He said everything he did was for Iraq," Ellis said. "One day when I went to see him, he asked why we invaded. Well, he made gestures like shooting a machine gun and asked why soldiers came and shot up the place. He said the laws in Iraq were fair and the weapons inspectors didn't find anything.”

"I said, 'That's politics. We soldiers don't get caught up in that sort of thing."

dahiyarules
January 1st, 2007, 07:28 PM
Let us not take everything to be at the face value. What we saw on TV an internet (execution videos of Saddam Husseing) was the result of a "well-oiled propaganda machine."

The US government used the trial and execution of Saddam as one final attempt at justifying the invasion of Iraq. The US government just wanted to show the entire world that how bad of a guy Saddam was. To sweeten the deal they spent millions of dollars of US-taxpayer dollars to arrange the sham trial of Saddam Hussein to give an impression of a changed Iraq that is a beacon of democracy and rule of law in the bad-lands of the middle-east.

But, Americans are not to be taken for suckers this time. There is a general opinion in America that even though Saddam got his just fate, the verdict was known the day Paul Bremer (then Governor or Iraq) put images of a captured Saddam Hussein on the television screens of the world. Whether Saddam lived or died, most Americans want an end to this war accoridng to just any poll.

The neo-conservatives and their cheerleaders at Fox News (Newscorp) are not missing any opportunity to tell this country how evil Saddam was. Even the so called liberal media is running reams of reports about how mercilessly Saddam killed his own people along with others in Iran and Iraq. The History Channel will be running a special documentary on Saddam's chemical and biological weapons, this weak.

But, no one in the media is talking about the now infamous Saddam-Rumsfeld handshake of 1984. It is not a mystery that Saddam got his bad-toys from the US and the UK. Just anyone who cares to read, know that the US and the UK supplied Saddam with the dirty weapons to kill Iranians. While Saddam followed his then masters' orders, he used the dirty weapons to suppress a Kurdish upsrising in the north. The US and UK turned a blind eye towards those massacres in return for Saddam using the same weapons on the Iranians. Infact, there was no hue and cry about Saddam's bad weapons until after the first Gulf War.

Even though the US won the fiest Gulf war, it created a couple of new problems for the west. First, Saddam turned his weapons on Israel during the war. Now, Israel was under threat from the very weapons that the US and UK had so gleefully supplied to their lapdog. Second, the world's second largest oil reserves were locked out for the major western oil companies after the first set of UN Security Council resolutions.

The UN Security Council resolutions were placed to resolve the first problem, i.e. to create economic crisis in Iraq that would force the removal of Saddam from power. But, the whole attempt backfired as Iraqi's would rather die of starvation than confront a tyrant who would do just anything to stay in power. Where were all these Muqtada Al-Sadr's during the 90's?'

To resolve the second problem, the western countries once again tried to tap Iraq's oil wealth by starting the oil for food program. This backfired too and also added to the first problem. Saddam accumulated insane amounts of wealth by selling oil. His people were still dying of hunger and disease as other UN resolutions prevented any other kind of trade with Iraq while Saddam pocketed all the proceeds from oil sales. This wealth helped Saddam strengthen his grip on Iraq.

Within a span of 10 years, Saddam became the worst nightmare for 3 American presidents. He was an imminent threat for America's favorite ally Israel. All the while the western oil companies wanted a bigger share in Iraq's oil wealth.

In 1998 Bill Clinton ordered missile strikes on Iraq for no reason. UN weapons inspectors had to pull out because of the hostilities. The American media told the Americans that the missile strikes were ordered because Saddam was not co-operating with the weapons inspectors. People bought it just like they have been for the past 100 years. Weapons inspections became the thread that the US and the UK pulled to disintegrate the entire fabric.

Even before 9/11 Bush was too keen to get Saddam out of power by hook or by crook. 9/11 just gave him the prestext to do so with force. The fact that Osama who is supposedly responsible for 9/11 is still at large while Saddam who was openly exonerated by the US Government for his connection with 9/11 is six feet under the ground speaks clearly of Bush's priorities.

I think that the US policy in Iraq has been flawed from the day the first bomb fell on Baghdad to the day Saddam walked the sixteen steps to the noose. America is under the impression that Iraq is a majorly Shia country. This may not be the case according to an article i read in Al-Jazeera. Thus, America may be once again wrong to play the "majority-appeasement" game by handing over the keys to iraq to the Shias.

The current rulers of Iraq, the Dawa party are a subsidiary of the Revolutionary party of Iran. After the Islamic take-over of Iran, the Shias tried to expand their sphere of influence over Iran. Saddam Hussein, a supposedly secular leader tried to stop it from happening by checking the Iraqi Shias. This became the reason for the rift between Saddam and Iraq's shiite population. This rift became wider in 1980 when Saddam executed the founder of the Iraqi Dawa party; the Shiite cleric Mohammed Baqir al-Sadr, was executed along with his sister.

Guess who was the most hasty at executing Saddam. None other than the Iraqi PM Nuri Al-Maliki who is also the leader of the present-day Dawa Party. For him, it was revenge for the slaughter of his former boss. PM Maliki has an interesting resume. He was taking refuge in Iran until he became Iraq's PM. Guess who his best friend is. None other than the nutacase Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who also happens to be America and Israel's arch-enemy number 1.

Boy! what a mess. Bush gave his enemy number one (Ahmadinejad) the object of his wet dreams: Saddam's head on a silver platter. It was equivalent to giving the nation of Israel to Saddam on a silver platter. Bush did everything for Iran, from getting rid of Saddam to handing over the control of Iraq to Iran which got the whole package without firing a single shot. it was something that Iran had been trying to do from the day of the Islamic revolution.

Either Bush hated Saddam more than he hates Iran, or he really is as stupid as most people assume him to be. As long as Iran is in control of Iraq, America is not going to have a vasal state in Iraq. That means that the Americans will be fighting in Iraq till the day another Saddam is born who is also anti-Iran and may be willing to be Washington and London's lapdog.

I hate Saddam just as much as I hate anyone who has anything to do with the institution of Government. I think that he should have been shot the day he surrendered. And the world should have seen his corpse instead of a US Army medic inspecting his teeth.

But, the whole idea of Saddam being replaced by fanatic Islamists just raises the world's troubles exponentially. the year 2007 just started with the sad milestone of 3000 US military dead in Iraq. I personally know scores of people in the US military including my own brother who have done tours of Iraq or would be doing so in the days to come. Some of them really do believe that they are there for a good cause, while others just curse the day they signed up for the military. But, at the end of the day most of these people with the exception of a few are wonderful human beings. they just have their convictions placed incorrectly. I wish I see them for years to come rather than see them return home in body bags because of a flawed foreign policy.

http://www.aljazeera.com/cgi-bin/review/article_full_story.asp?service_id=12491

http://www.lewrockwell.com/floyd/floyd51.html

http://www.lewrockwell.com/floyd/floyd51.html

dahiyarules
January 1st, 2007, 07:34 PM
"I said, 'That's politics. We soldiers don't get caught up in that sort of thing."[/FONT][/COLOR]

This is exactly my grime. Why shouldnt the soldiers question their government's logic for going to war. After all, they are the ones who may die. Governments come and go. Loved ones dont come and go.

I have seen in America that atleast a few people are well informed and dare to question their government's intentions.

But, in India there is never such disagreement between the people and the government on issues of war. Everyone just believes blindly that the government must be right.

Mothers take pride in sending off their sons to die. Fathers take pride in their sons being the cannon fodder.

I know that hardly anyone will agree with me. But, I have totally lost faith in the government's ability to protect us. They justify just every war they fight. No war is a bad war. All wars are just and thus must be supported by the people of our country. That is the general impression our government creates everytime they send our kids to die.

kharub
January 2nd, 2007, 06:53 AM
Saddam Hussein was just what Iraq needed .... he was a dictator no doubt , but loooking at Iraq now can anybody disagree that only a dictator with absolute power and control can rule Iraq.

Kurds are still being killed if not by bullets & poision gas then slowly but surely both by Iran & Turkey , but we have never heard anybody even mentioning Turkey when talking about atrocities on Kurds.

Saddam was not a religious fanatic .. he installed the first secular republic in the Arab World. The war with Iran however tragic was important to keep Iraq safe from the clutches of Islamic fundamentalists.

He has been killed to silence him .. so that the dirty secrets of the Western World would never come out.

Even when facing death he was brave, firm and unwavered ...... he is what we call a real man. He will go down in history books as a Martyr.

I pray to God to give peace to his soul.

(even though in a previous post I aggressively debated against the concept of soul & the existence of God)

dahiyarules
January 2nd, 2007, 02:43 PM
I am shocked by the kind of honors that some members are bestowing upon the tyrant called Saddam Hussein.

Someone calls him a real man. Others call him a lion.

What will be his legacy? He fought two very expesnsive wars that took the Iraqis from being the most prosperous to the most impoverished people in the region.

Who can forget the torture chambers and the rape rooms. Ironically, the execution chamber where Saddam was executed was built by Saddam himself where he executes a number of his adversaries.

He was truly the butcher of Baghdad. The true reason for the demise of Iraq.

Undeniably, he got his just fate.

But, hold on. What I said was just 50 percent of the story.

What has happened is that one tyrant has been replaced by other tyrants.

The bloodthirsty ayatollahs of Iraq are under Iran's leash. Iran is manipulating them to do exactly that same dirty work against the Sunni Iraqis, that Saddam did agains the Shia Iraqis to keep Iran's influece at bay.

What was happening in Iraq while Saddam was around was despicable. What is happening in Iraq after Saddam is just as despicable.

Indians havent lived under Dictatorships. They are just enamoured by oppulent tryants like Saddam, Mao Zedong, Stalin and others. Indians are seduced by the thought of being controlled by a despotic madman who hangs them upside down in cold cinder-block cells and crumbles each and every bone in their body with iron rods. Indians are too excited to have their daughters and mothers abduvted and raped in specially constructed rape rooms, by the unrestrained sons of such dictators.

If some day some despot does attemp to seaze power in India, it will be a cakewalk for him because our people are already having wet dreams of living under a dictatorship. Good Luck.

rohittewatia
January 2nd, 2007, 02:43 PM
A brave man and an able leader. Saddam had the guts. May we see more of such people.

Whatever most people hear about is always part of the US and western Propaganda and what people should hear. How is that whatever US does is the right course of action. Whenever things seem right, these western countries do whatever they like. What about bombing innocent civilians in Afghanistan or Palestine or some other part of the world. Even if we forget the muslim world, what about the other parts of the world.

US is a far and worse dictator than this small guy Saddam...Hopefully US people too learns this lesson someday.

jagmohan
January 2nd, 2007, 03:45 PM
I am shocked by the kind of honors that some members are bestowing upon the tyrant called Saddam Hussein.

What will be his legacy? He fought two very expesnsive wars that took the Iraqis from being the most prosperous to the most impoverished people in the region.

Who can forget the torture chambers and the rape rooms. Ironically, the execution chamber where Saddam was executed was built by Saddam himself where he executes a number of his adversaries.

The bloodthirsty ayatollahs of Iraq are under Iran's leash. Iran is manipulating them to do exactly that same dirty work against the Sunni Iraqis, that Saddam did agains the Shia Iraqis to keep Iran's influece at bay.

What was happening in Iraq while Saddam was around was despicable. What is happening in Iraq after Saddam is just as despicable.

Indians havent lived under Dictatorships. They are just enamoured by oppulent tryants like Saddam, Mao Zedong, Stalin and others. Indians are seduced by the thought of being controlled by a despotic madman who hangs them upside down in cold cinder-block cells and crumbles each and every bone in their body with iron rods. Indians are too excited to have their daughters and mothers abduvted and raped in specially constructed rape rooms, by the unrestrained sons of such dictators.

If some day some despot does attemp to seaze power in India, it will be a cakewalk for him because our people are already having wet dreams of living under a dictatorship. Good Luck.

I am in 100% agreement with Mr Sumit Dahiya.

shobhitdeshwal
January 2nd, 2007, 05:33 PM
Former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein was executed by hanging Saturday for crimes against humanity, just four days after the appeals court finalized the sentence handed down by the Iraqi High Tribunal.

However, I believe the execution was carried out too hastily and was political motivated. We need to assess how his execution will affect the reconstruction of Iraq, which desperately needs national reconciliation.

Saddam ruled Iraq with an iron fist for about 30 years and maintained stability in the country by oppressing the Shiites and Kurds. He had been the crowning symbol of Sunni rule of the country.

His execution might fuel the fire of sectarian conflict that has been intensifying and threatens to tear the country apart. Because of this, some observers predicted there would be room for political maneuvering about the timing of sending Saddam to the gallows.

Instead, the administration of Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, which is dominated by Shiites, rushed the process that resulted in Saddam's execution.

A major gamble

Did Maliki's administration try to sate the thirst for vengeance among Shiites and Kurds in order to display its authority over the country as the security situation threatens to spiral out of control? Did the administration think the current situation is so serious that it would not be affected significantly by the fate of Saddam?

Whatever the case, the execution must be viewed as a major gamble.

Maliki's most pressing priority is to bring about national reconciliation. Without this, any attempt to maintain his administration and rebuild the nation would be cut off at the knees.

After Saddam's execution, a bomb planted in a minibus killed more than 35 people in a fish market in a mostly Shiite town south of Baghdad. The bomb's connection with the execution was not immediately known, but the Maliki administration must have expected that Sunnis would intensify the offensive against his fragile administration in retribution for Saddam's death.

A chance missed?

Saddam's trial was an excellent chance to test Iraq's fledgling democracy, but the fairness of the trial was questioned by some observers. Allegations of intervention by political leaders also tainted the trial process. Iraq's new leaders, who were chosen through democratic elections, may have squandered a prime opportunity to leave as a precedent a democratically conducted trial of a dictator who regularly flouted the rule of law.

I also am concerned that Saddam's execution will make it very difficult to find out the truth about other crimes committed by his administration, such as mass killings of Kurds and the invasion of Kuwait.

Assistance for Iraq's reconstruction from the international community, especially by the United States, has taken on an even greater importance.

U.S. President George W. Bush is scheduled to reveal his new Iraq policy early next year. Forthright examinations of Bush's past Iraqi policy are crucial to determine what its flaws were and why it did not pan out as planned.

The Bush administration needs to devise a flexible, effective policy to ensure its assistance to Iraq's reconstruction achieves its goals.

Cheers!!

Shobhit Deshwal.

arunshamli
January 2nd, 2007, 05:37 PM

I fully agree.

I am not able to understand when most of Iraqis are celebrating the death of Saddam, why most of the Indians are unhappy about it?

shobhitdeshwal
January 2nd, 2007, 05:51 PM
I fully agree.

I am not able to understand when most of Iraqis are celebrating the death of Saddam, why most of the Indians are unhappy about it?

Iraqis don't have an option at this time!! They have to be happy!! Their ruler at this time is America!! Who has killed many of them and a voice against the bloody Bush will kill many others!!

Indian's on the other hand need to play safe.. to oppose what is wrong!! And not just give in to the demands of the capitalist world!! Let us not invite America for such an action ever again in the world!! let us start raising a voice!!

Cheers!!

Shobhit Deshwal.

parity
January 2nd, 2007, 07:40 PM
In my opinion "he" (dont want to take his name) got less than wat he deserved. He shud have been placed in the torture rooms, constructed by him only. But perhaps that wud have motivated terrorists to do inhuman things to free him.
Iraqis needed someone's help, wats wrong if America ??

How does it matter wat kind of ruler he was, dictator is alwz a dictator. Torturing players with hot rods if they failed to get medals, ye mardangi hai to i am sorry, we dont need mards here.
Slaughtering ppl on the basis of community, wat kind of secular approach is this !

I think these discussions wud give him unnecessary publicity n give birth to more terrorists. Still Posting my views coz cudnt resisted myself aftr seeing so much appreciation for him.

In my opinion, view point of masses is not ruling nations. Its personalised approaches of so called netas. we have CPM so lets focus more on labours than industrial growth, If BJP than more on rising the status of Hindus n hindi. Election are only a drama.

neels
January 2nd, 2007, 08:12 PM
Too much pro and cons about the man....
Well in my opinion Saddam Hussain had his share of qualities also, though howsoever he may be blamed for his cruelities is less.
He changed the face of Iraq, And he was a good friend of India. Yea he was a dictator, still no doubt he was a good ruler also.
I strongly condemn hanging him to death. It was no justice at least.

dahiyars
January 3rd, 2007, 02:05 AM
Dear All

Thank you all for very frank and realistic expressions on the issue. After his hanging my first reaction was as follows in form of a folk song--

R.S.Dahiya

pnauhwar21
January 3rd, 2007, 02:13 AM
Isn't it strange that Saddam was hanged for killing 148 Shiites when the headcount of US Military person who have died in Iraq was has crossed 3000 while No. of innocent Iraq's is in Lakhs who have died since US invaded Iraq for as simple a reason (Superficial though) as Possession of Chemical and Nuclear weapons which have never been found till date.

Its anybody's guess what a mess Iraq is. Daily thousands of people are dying since US invasion, why? There are some countries where democracy just can't work like Iraq, Pakistan or Afghanistan. Even if they are ruled by so called dictators, if they are better than so called democratically elected bunch of crap politicians whats the harm? Musharraf has been a far better president in my view than Sharif or Benazir. Similarly, with all his faults and misdoings, Saddam was still able to control Iraq. And whether its democracy or dictatorship, many people are killed through instrument of power if they dare to disagree with the persons in power. Do you think, India's situation is better than dictatorship? Reservations have been imposed on the country - isn't that dictatorship?, Politicians gobble crores of rs. in deals but no one is ever jailed, People who speak against the system are either transferred or killed - remember the guy who spoke against the irregularities in National Road Project - isn't that dictatorship?

So, hanging of Saddam just for a reason that he got some of his adversaries killed is a sham. He was hanged because he dared to go against US of A, he was hanged because he was still in power after Gulf War - 1, he was hanged because he controlled Iraq's oil while western countries want their share in that. All this itself is a reason enough that India should have a strong military power. Why US has reached into a nuclear agreement with India when all over the world its asking countries to stop nuclear ambitions - Simple reason, India's rising economic power, strong military and a never bending attitude. Also, India is the only country that can match China in case China tries to overgrow US militarily and economically. India is the only bet that US has and we should take advantage of that. But lets not let US guide our policies, control out political space else another Iraq could happen here.

As for Saddam, may his soul rest in peace as well as thousands of innocents who were killed by his regime or US's proxy regime now.

kharub
January 3rd, 2007, 11:33 AM

You read too many conspiracy theories web sites mate ........ grow out of the bubble ........ life is not black and white but GREY

Saddam is cursed for gassing the Kurds ....... Winston Churchill gassed the same Kurds ..... did you know that .... and he is an icon figure in the UK

The winner always (or most of the times) writes the history and thats what we learn about ........... the founding Fahters of America who are quoted everywhere, whenever liberty and justice is mentioned butchered Indians and enslaved blacks ..... but thats never mentioned either

WHY ??? because they were on the winning side ....

So dont judge Saddam from a civilins shoes ... He did was was needed to keep the country safe and united

Small sacrifices have to be made for the greater good ..... and when you are in the seat of power .. you have a different paradigm and set of prorities than a liberal running a conspiracy website.

He will command respect in my eyes.

I have read and have in my posession a book on him written in 2001 by an ex-CIA director ..... even though it was a bit biased .. I am sure this man had a lot of qualities to be admired ....

Every rulers hand are blood stained ..... that comes with teh responsibility to govern ..... Indian Police & Army is killing the Naxals and Militants ...... and its fair ...

For greater good - small sacrifices have to be made ....... and the greater good can only be discerned by the one in a position to do so ...

VPannu
January 3rd, 2007, 12:41 PM
How does it matter wat kind of ruler he was, dictator is alwz a dictator.
Sukarma, whats your say about Musharraf then? Shall the USA hang him too?
It has been quoted in this thread that he raped women and tortured people.Well, dont know whether or not that was true because I never get to see any proof of that.But what did the US Army do over there? Wasnt that more heinous.The more disgusting thing was that the female soldiers were more barbaric.
No UN, no ICJ but yes USA.Where were they all when they were needed the most?
If i say,Saddam=Raavan (a bit,not 100% ), now what would you say?:p
Some will certainly say Saddam=Mogambo;)

dahiyarules
January 3rd, 2007, 01:48 PM
You read too many conspiracy theories web sites mate ........ grow out of the bubble ........ life is not black and white but GREY

Saddam is cursed for gassing the Kurds ....... Winston Churchill gassed the same Kurds ..... did you know that .... and he is an icon figure in the UK

The winner always (or most of the times) writes the history and thats what we learn about ........... the founding Fahters of America who are quoted everywhere, whenever liberty and justice is mentioned butchered Indians and enslaved blacks ..... but thats never mentioned either

WHY ??? because they were on the winning side ....

So dont judge Saddam from a civilins shoes ... He did was was needed to keep the country safe and united

Small sacrifices have to be made for the greater good ..... and when you are in the seat of power .. you have a different paradigm and set of prorities than a liberal running a conspiracy website.

He will command respect in my eyes.

I have read and have in my posession a book on him written in 2001 by an ex-CIA director ..... even though it was a bit biased .. I am sure this man had a lot of qualities to be admired ....

Every rulers hand are blood stained ..... that comes with teh responsibility to govern ..... Indian Police & Army is killing the Naxals and Militants ...... and its fair ...

For greater good - small sacrifices have to be made ....... and the greater good can only be discerned by the one in a position to do so ...

Kharub Yaar!

I totally agree that Saddam's killing was a political move.

Infact, I dont know if you have seen the bootleg cellphone video of his execution. The execution room was full of Shiite extremists. Even one of the executioners was yelling long live Muqtada Al-Sadr (the most anti-US and anti-Saddam person in Iraq at the moment).

If anyone has gained the most out of Saddam's execution, it is the pro-Iran shiites who want Iraq to be an extension of Iran.

The US government wanted to showoff the advancement made by the puppet government of Iraq in terms of law and order. It was the case for the first 12hours after the execution. Some media personalities were hailing it as an achievement for Bush.

Then came the bootleg video, which smashed the earlier assumption and disclosed that the execution was a mere act of sectarian revenge.

Ever major media outlet in the US is bashing the US govt to have let this happen. Bush has totally failed to capitalize from the execution. Now the US govt is running for cover by saying that they tried to delay the execution.

Everything else aside, you are free to have your assumptions about Saddam. Trust me, once upon a time even I was in awe of the Dictator's personality. That cigar swigging shotgun holding storngman in the balcony with thousands hailing him was too much to handle for a young mind.

But, the fact that he mercilessly murdered thousands shattered my perception about Saddam. Now, I know that he modeled himself after Stalin. No wonder he made himself look so imperious. With his pictures all over the country and statues at every intersection, he definitely did look larger than life.

What I find really disturbing about your comments is that you find some sacrfices necessary. Do you mean the sacrifices of inocent people? I think that is really sick of you to think like that. Think of just one sacrifice. Let it be your mother, or father or your brother or your sister. If one of these loved ones had to be "sacrificed" to prevent the country form breaking up, would you be fine with it. And by that I dont mean that your loved one would eb sent to battle. I mean they would be slaughtered in front of thousands or maybe raped by the son of the president of India. Would this sacrifice be fine with you.

Saddam did not sacrifice people. He terrorized them by randomly killing their loved ones.

No civilized society must tolerate such tyranny.

The sad part is that what Saddam did is still happening in Iraq. People are being randomly butchered by death squads who work as US trained police forces during the day and work as Muqtada Al Sadrs death squads in the night. Others are just Sunni terrorists, both during day and night.

Just yesterday I read that innocent 12000 Iraqis died in 2006. Which I believe is a highly conservative figure. If on an average 92 people are dying every day, how can the total be only 12000?

But, why should even one person die?

We as Indians must be happy that our sectarian violence is always short lived. Whats happening in Iraq could happen in India too. And it does happen once in a while. Iraq is a lesson to be learned by every society. We must never have ruthless dictators like Saddam. And, we must never allow any sectarian tensions.

What do you say would have happened in India if we were a majority Muslim country? I dont think India would have been a peaceful place. See what they did to the Hindus when Pakistan was formed. They kicked out all of them, one at a time. Our Hindu extremists tried to follow suit, but there were too many Muslims to be kicked out. And then Gandhi had a habit of going on a diet every now and then.

But, I am glad that we dont have the Muslim numbers that other Muslim countries in the world do. Muslims in India understand the figures and behave themselves. And I am fine as long as they keep behaving themselves, or otherwise they will take no time to turn India into another Iraq.

romy
January 3rd, 2007, 01:54 PM
We are very easily swayed by what is potrayed by the media. and dont think about anything in all its pros & Cons.

The history of the arab world is very clear on one thing and that is that everyone first sees his own profit and then the rest of the country. Saddam has not done anything that any other arab would not have done in his place. even in India the countryand society comes after self, Family, Clan, Tribe, Race.
Both Saddam & bush are in the same boat but because of the power of the US Bush will never be tried for war crimes.

Saddam was bad but for his own people he was good.

brainspeak
January 3rd, 2007, 11:17 PM
i dunno saddam was good or bad while he lived...but after watching the execution clip i can say tht the guy showed no fear nd with the rope around his neck he smiled nd mocked the shouting al sadr supporters....he died like a man
i wonder how george bush nd tony blair might react when they r told tht they r abt to die???

parity
January 4th, 2007, 06:21 PM
It has been quoted in this thread that he raped women and tortured people.Well, dont know whether or not that was true because I never get to see any proof of that.

I didnt say anything in support of America. I said against Saddam. I talked about only 1 part.
U wud never get the opportunity to see proofs untill u go to Iraq urself :D n talk to real ppl. I have read some articles by Iraqi ppl (they were slaughtered later by terrorists)
Aftr this i wont comment to anything related to Saddam, as i dont want to give him any publicity :D

ritu
January 4th, 2007, 06:55 PM
i agree with u sumit.