PDA

View Full Version : Is It A Step Back?: Test Cricket Squad

raj2rif
December 1st, 2006, 03:00 AM
Dear Members,

The cricket team for tests in SA has been announced. I was wondering if it was selected by the selectors, or by the federal ministers, who feel that they don't have any important job to but to help selectors to do their job.

Few questions are raised. Experience Vs. Youth. The argument put forward by Vengsarkar does not hold much ground, for while they have selected Ganguly and Laxman against youth, dropping of Agarkar for VRV Singh is just opposite.

Youth or experience, I would say the performance should only be the criteria. The selectors should consider only the performance. The only problem is that if not tried how would the youth get experience or how the experience would become younger?

I am happy about Sehwag loosing his Vice Captain's job. The bloating waist line indicates his commitment to the game or lack of it. I think it is a wake up call for him, and I only hope that in his own interest and that of national and team's interest, he works hard to get his waist line under control. I am sure once that is done, he would become Sehwag that we all know. His game would improve automatically.

It probably can be a blessing in disguise. Players like Suresh Raina must understand that talent unless translated into performance has no meaning. I think, Kaif has been a bit unlucky. Gambhir's selection is a good sign. I wish he was there for one day series in place of Jaffar in first place.

Let us hope the change in team also changes the fortunes and the attitude of the players who had taken their place for granted.

The only question is that with World Cup being so close, have we taken a step back in team selection and building the so called bench strength.

vijay
December 1st, 2006, 03:32 AM
Ganguly and Laxman are still good than Raina etc. Agarkar is gud but he hardly deliver in recent times. But i still like Agarkar to be in squad.

If performence is only consideration than Sachin, Sehwag, Harbhajan etc must be dropped. what you say ?

Kaif is Ok but i hardly see any performance from him except once in a while. He is nowhere when we comapre him with Yuvraj Singh in middle order.

Gambhir is Ok and seems a positive sign for Indian Cricket

What about Chappel and his experiments with Indian Cricket and feelings ???

netrapalsingh
December 1st, 2006, 05:15 PM
selectors ne jo team test ke liye chunee hai usme mohammad kaif ka wikalp
kaha hai gautam gambhir ko jab chuna jana tha tha dilip vengserkar
ne maharashtra ke waseem jafar ko chuna ab gautam gambheer kya karega
jab sirf ek one day bacha hai?

shehwag se wice capitanship cheenkar uska moral down kiya gaya kya ye
sahee hai? shehwag ek shot playing bats man hai wo sanat jaysurya,
afreedi, gilkirist kee shreni ye sare bats man kitnee bar chalte hai
ye sab ko pata hai fir bhee inkee team wale inke sath ched chad nahi
kare n hee inke saath expriments kiye jate hai. Leking kya kaha jaye jab
pooree team ek ya do khiladiyo par nirbhar ho. opnner fail to poori team
fail team fail to shehwag doshi.

ajit agarkar ka 5.89 runs ka bolling average kya ye ek boller kee performance
hai? Lekin koi bhee selector ya gavaskar or ravishastri ko kabhi bhee
agarkar kee booraayee karte nahi dekh. saurabh ko kyo naikal gaya?
or ab kis base par ooska selection kiya gaya.

ye sab selectro ke bokhlahat hee hai. jika pareenam test matcho me
bhee pata lag jayeg.

kisi bhee khiladi ka vikalp nahi hai india ke paas chahe ganguli ho chage
shehwag ho chage dravid ho.

kapil dev or srikanth ke baad aap ke pas koi bollar hai jo apne dam par
team ko jita sakta ho.

netra.......

aabhisheksirohi
December 1st, 2006, 05:48 PM
Few questions are raised. Experience Vs. Youth. The argument put forward by Vengsarkar does not hold much ground, for while they have selected Ganguly and Laxman against youth, dropping of Agarkar for VRV Singh is just opposite.

Youth or experience, I would say the performance should only be the criteria. The selectors should consider only the performance. The only problem is that if not tried how would the youth get experience or how the experience would become younger?

I believe Selectors is looking for Youth + Experience. Not Youth Vs Experience. Ganguly's, Laxman's, Tendulkar's, Sehwag's , Dravid's, Dhoni's will ensure the rock solid experience in batting criteria. VRV's, Patel's, Khan's, Kumble's, Singh's will hold the key for Bowling departments.

Gambhir and Kartik will be use nicely to warm up the bench as they will lay the eggs over there..!!

shehwag se wice capitanship cheenkar uska moral down kiya gaya kya ye
sahee hai? shehwag ek shot playing bats man hai wo sanat jaysurya,
afreedi, gilkirist kee shreni ye sare bats man kitnee bar chalte hai

ajit agarkar ka 5.89 runs ka bolling average kya ye ek boller kee performance
hai? Lekin koi bhee selector ya gavaskar or ravishastri ko kabhi bhee
agarkar kee booraayee karte nahi dekh. saurabh ko kyo naikal gaya?
or ab kis base par ooska selection kiya gaya.

kapil dev or srikanth ke baad aap ke pas koi bollar hai jo apne dam par
team ko jita sakta ho.

netra.......

Sehwag's moral is already down opposite bowlers find his weakness of facing incoming deliveries and the delivery facing the rib case. So nothing wrong in taking back the Vice-Captionship. His strengths is Hand-eye coordination which works well once he is in full confidence as well as in form. Form is temporary and class is permanent does not suits on players like Sehwag and Afridi.

Ajith Agarkar is an average bowler and everyone knows his strength is to chip wickets randomly which works well on One-days.For test bowler it required line and length and above all control on his bowling which is lacking in this guy.He is criticized by Gavaskar's and Shastri's and Akram's too many times.

After Kapil Dev and Srinath i believe Kumble is the kind of bowler who can win matches for us . Kumble with Turbanator combination will work well against the SA team who are vulnerable to spin attacks.

Test team is not bad choice interesting to see how Ganguly and Laxman will adjust to Chappell shoes.

itsnavin
December 1st, 2006, 07:02 PM
Here are my inputs:

I think it's not a step backward but a step forward. This is the last chance for the 'old team' to perform. Youngsters failed miserably. In that case, elders should take charge and assume more responsibility.

Vengsarkar has better vision than More who kept postponing the things like removal of Kaif, Raina and stripping Sehwag of his Vice Captaincy.

Every batsman has flaws in his batting so do Sehwag but he's losing the mind game. For me he's double minded when on crease. So long as wickets are intact on the other end, he fires otherwise he just goes to backfoot and thereby losing his wicket. Coming test series is litmus test for Sehwag. If he fails, he'll be next one to be shown the door.

Chappell as a coach is good but he couldn't empower the team with confidence after losing a series with WI. Whereas Pakistan after losing ODI series to India are back with a bang. It's the same with WI as well who before thrashing India at home lost series to Pakistan and England but now they are reaching their peak at the right time.

Laxman as a vice captain can back fire as Laxman is back in international arena after a while and he was not in his best form in the last series he played. It can be a burden for him when he wants to concentrate more on his batting. Kumble would have made a better choice..I think!!

Last but not the least, I still have the confidence in our team.

netrapalsingh
December 2nd, 2006, 09:17 AM
bhoot khushi kee bat hai kee india 20-20 overs ka match shehwag ke
captainship me 6 wickets se jeet chukee hai or shehwag ne 27 balls
me 34 run banakar match me winning bhumika nibhayee hai.

netra.............

netrapalsingh
December 2nd, 2006, 09:22 AM
ESPN World sports kee ek latest news ye bhee hai kee ganguli ko team
me lane ke bare senior team members kee ray lee gayee thee jisme
vengesrkar, chappal, dravid ganguly ne ganguly ko team me n lenne
ke paksh me vote kiya sirf shehwag ne ganguly ko team me lene ke
wakalat kee jiska khamiyaja use wise captainship chinvakar chukanee
padee.

sharad pawar vengesarkar, gavaskar, ravi shastri shayad tendulkar
ko world cup ka captain bana cahte hai jiske liye tendulkar ne
apnee sahmtee bhee de dee aisa aaj tak or Z-News mai tha.

netra........

raj2rif
December 2nd, 2006, 07:09 PM
Here are my inputs:

I think it's not a step backward but a step forward. This is the last chance for the 'old team' to perform. Youngsters failed miserably. In that case, elders should take charge and assume more responsibility.
Vengsarkar has better vision than More who kept postponing the things like removal of Kaif, Raina and stripping Sehwag of his Vice Captaincy.
Every batsman has flaws in his batting so do Sehwag but he's losing the mind game. For me he's double minded when on crease. So long as wickets are intact on the other end, he fires otherwise he just goes to backfoot and thereby losing his wicket. Coming test series is litmus test for Sehwag. If he fails, he'll be next one to be shown the door.
Chappell as a coach is good but he couldn't empower the team with confidence after losing a series with WI. Whereas Pakistan after losing ODI series to India are back with a bang. It's the same with WI as well who before thrashing India at home lost series to Pakistan and England but now they are reaching their peak at the right time.
Laxman as a vice captain can back fire as Laxman is back in international arena after a while and he was not in his best form in the last series he played. It can be a burden for him when he wants to concentrate more on his batting. Kumble would have made a better choice..I thinkLast but not the least, I still have the confidence in our team.

Dear Navin Ji,
Very good observations and analysis. I agree with you on some points, but may not agree on a few of them.
Firstly: Laxman as Vice Captain. Usually we appoint Vice Captain in order to groom that person to graduate to become Captain at some point of time. If that be the rationale of having a Vice Captain then both Laxman and Kumble are the least suited players. Now comes the issue of having a Vice Captain who is not a liability and is sure to be selected in playing 11. Sehwag's current form may be the reason for him loosing his post. I have seen even Captain sitting out for a game or two if they are not in form and as such Sehwag should have been continued. If it was an attitude problem, which even I feel, looks like, then it is a nice decision. However the replacement is not wise. In that case probably, player like Dhoni or Pathan should have been picked up. More likely Dhoni for Pathan himself is struggling at this point of time. I would have continued with Sehwag for the entire tour unless it is a discipline problem.
I don't think Vengsarkar had a lot to say in selection. It looks to me a lot of interference from the politicians in selection of the team which is unfortunate. Both Ganguly and Laxman are young enough to play for a few more years so long they are physically fit and are not liability on the field. But then the selection should be best left to cricketers rather than Politicians who go more for public emotions rather than merits of a player.

raj2rif
December 2nd, 2006, 07:13 PM
bhoot khushi kee bat hai kee india 20-20 overs ka match shehwag ke
captainship me 6 wickets se jeet chukee hai or shehwag ne 27 balls
me 34 run banakar match me winning bhumika nibhayee hai.

netra.............

Dear Netrapal Ji,

Your comments in relation to Sehwag look to me a little biased. No player can be bigger than the team and the game. Sehwag's physical appreance ( the bloating waist line) itself speaks for his commitment for his game which is his profession. Probably if he looses a few pounds of weight, he would come back to form also. If his attitude is a problem, then I would not like to have such person in team itslef, however talented he may be.

itsnavin
December 18th, 2006, 07:49 PM
It's nice to see the faith in OLD players working. It was an excellent example of team efforts. Jaffar and Sehwag are still struggling but they must be given another match to come out good. Youngsters are accepting challenges very well. A lot of positives from this win.

vijay
December 18th, 2006, 07:58 PM
It was a nice move by selectors by including Ganguly, Laxman, Kumble and Zaheer Khan.

I think everybody knows what difference they made to down and almost out Indian Squad. :)

Cheers for the first Test Victory ever so far in South Africa. :)

Let's hope for some more good news from SA within few days.:)