PDA

View Full Version : Solutions to our Country's problems - Electricity

pnauhwar21
December 13th, 2006, 03:33 AM
Hi All,

I wanted to start these series of threads for some of the major problems in our country and what could be the solution to them as per us - a common citizen. And what could be done as a common citizen to get these solutions implemented. I know almost all of us blame govt., their policies or other people for almost all problems so lets do some introspection and suggest some practical solutions.

So, the first series is electricity. Why even after more than 50 years of independence, we can't provide electricity to every part of India. Let alone the villages and small towns, even the major Metro cities can't boast of 24 hr electricity till now. As far as I know, the metropolitan cities themselve have 4-5 hrs cut during summer season while smaller towns easily have a cut of 8-15 hrs almost on a daily basis. Also, we get a notification every summer from state electricity dept to turn off the AC's and Coolers - why? What is the benefit of buying these if we can't even use them when needed? What is the major reason for such acute problem and solution? In my view and as per my knowledge, probably following :

1) Create more Nuclear plants to generate more electricity

2) Provide alternative energy options viz. Gobar Gas, Solar power to all villages as that will be cost effective and can be implemented easily.

3) Create an effective revenue collection mechanism for electricity usage. Probably if the collection process is given to Private companies, it will be much more efficient especially if their commission is linked with the revenue collected.

4) Improve the loss of electricity by creating a better infrastructure especially for the Electricity sub-stations.

What else?

VPannu
December 13th, 2006, 05:38 AM
What else?
You missed the most important thing here.
Energy saved is energy produced.I think it stands above everything.No matter whatever kind of power we produce but we wont be able to solve this crisis unless we make power saving our habit.
I dont think that we should make government as scapegoat in this scenario.I could recall that about 7-8 years ago we had 54 crores households having power connections which was a record in itself(it only includes connections having meters:p ).
So make saving your habit from right now.:)

pnauhwar21
December 13th, 2006, 08:34 AM
You missed the most important thing here.
Energy saved is energy produced.

I agree on that but that will automatically be done when your Electricity bill rises :). My main point is tha if US can give almost 24 hr electricity to everyone, what can be done in India for the same. If somebody doesn't save power, you are charging for the same from him.

VPannu
December 13th, 2006, 09:08 AM
If somebody doesn't save power, you are charging for the same from him.
You can apply this fact to the countries like UK USA AUS etc., I mean to all of those who have sufficient power resources to pacify the need of their relatively lesser population.But in India if we use dont use power wisely and economically then its definite that we are going to have a power crisis as we are having now.Just compare this with petrol situation. We use petrol (maybe economically or extravagantly) despite knowing the fact that its a non renewable source of energy.
How about superconductivity? If that thing is feasible at higher temperatures then I feel we can think of wasting power.

amitrajora
December 14th, 2006, 08:33 AM
I think this is a very relevant point which is often overlooked. The world is fast running out of fossil fuels and the upcoming economies are rushing to mop up any source of energy they can lay their hands on. Govts are ready to invest billions of dollars in building pipelines to transport fuels across difficult terrain and hostile borders. We are surely going to face a crisis in about half a century(our grandchildren)
we seriously need to invest in alternative sources of energy. Japan seems to be the only country serious about it so far.

There won't be any development without electricity, that is for sure.

netrapalsingh
December 14th, 2006, 12:58 PM
India me ek hee mukhya kendra hai beejlee paida karne ka Bhakhra Nangal or bhee hai par we chote star ke hai jitna oonme kharcha aata hai
oonkee maintenance kaa ootnee bijli we paida bhee nahi kar sakte.

India me main bijli kee khapat- Delhi, Mumbai, UP State, Rajasthan State
Punjab, Haryana me hai Jabkee Rajasthan me Kota Tharmal Power ko
chod kar ek bhee bada utpaadan kendra india me nahi hai.

Utpaadan kam hai or khapat jyada hai jo ooska kaya solution ho sakta hai.
Duree jaroorat hai jagrookta kee log electricity kaa kitna missuse karte
hai ye aap apne gharo or colleges me dekh sakte hai. Paisa koi dena nahi
chahta Chage Udyogpatee ho ya kissan ya MLA, MP or is desh kee doosre
upbhokta fir kaha se ayegee electricy. Aaj sahar me 5Rs per unit bijlee
kaa kharcha ataa hai jiskee mar jhelnee padti hai imandaar aadmee ko

Kisano kee fasal chopat ho rahee hai gaon me single phase bijli bhee 4-6 ghante tak hee atee hai fasal ka utpaadan ghat ta ja rahaaa hai kissan
apnee jameen bechne lage hai.

netra...

brainspeak
December 14th, 2006, 01:48 PM
at present India is dependent on thermal power plants for its electricity requirements(around 70%)....then comes the hydroelectric power plants(around 25%)...nd nuclear power plants account for only 3% of the total electricity requirements.....
all these forms of electricity generation have their positive nd negative points...
thermal--coal is available;but it causes pollution nd coal as fossil fuel is limited...
hydro--water is inexhaustible source;but the controversy regarding dams nd their high gestation period r its limitations...
nuclear--constant source of power;but high gestation period in setting up the plant nd non availability of nuclear fuel are its limitatons....

further,there r huge transmission nd distribution losses...nd the different grids keep on failing...
also regarding the electricity bills-- people dont like to pay...in villages they look for "maafi" of the pending bills....in the urban areas...there is unauthorised use of electricity....popularly known as "taanka maarna"...so there is loss of revenue nd electricity..

developing new sources of energy is indeed required but wht is required most is the improvement of the Transmission nd Distribution mechanisms...storage mechanisms...improvement in the attitude of the people towards electricity--paying their bills on time nd stop misusing electricity...

India me ek hee mukhya kendra hai beejlee paida karne ka Bhakhra Nangal or bhee hai par we chote star ke hai jitna oonme kharcha aata hai
oonkee maintenance kaa ootnee bijli we paida bhee nahi kar sakte.

India me main bijli kee khapat- Delhi, Mumbai, UP State, Rajasthan State
Punjab, Haryana me hai Jabkee Rajasthan me Kota Tharmal Power ko
chod kar ek bhee bada utpaadan kendra india me nahi hai.

Utpaadan kam hai or khapat jyada hai jo ooska kaya solution ho sakta hai.
Duree jaroorat hai jagrookta kee log electricity kaa kitna missuse karte
hai ye aap apne gharo or colleges me dekh sakte hai. Paisa koi dena nahi
chahta Chage Udyogpatee ho ya kissan ya MLA, MP or is desh kee doosre
upbhokta fir kaha se ayegee electricy. Aaj sahar me 5Rs per unit bijlee
kaa kharcha ataa hai jiskee mar jhelnee padti hai imandaar aadmee ko

Kisano kee fasal chopat ho rahee hai gaon me single phase bijli bhee 4-6 ghante tak hee atee hai fasal ka utpaadan ghat ta ja rahaaa hai kissan
apnee jameen bechne lage hai.

netra...

netra, aap Maharashtra,Tamil Nadu,Karnataka, Chattisgarh etc. ko bhool rahe hain...bijli ka utpadan in rajyon mein bhi kafi matra mein hota hai..
aur bhakra nangal sirf uttar bharat ka ek kendra hai...woh bhi Hydro Electric..

netrapalsingh
December 14th, 2006, 02:48 PM
at present India is dependent on thermal power plants for its electricity requirements(around 70%)....then comes the hydroelectric power plants(around 25%)...nd nuclear power plants account for only 3% of the total electricity requirements.....
all these forms of electricity generation have their positive nd negative points...
thermal--coal is available;but it causes pollution nd coal as fossil fuel is limited...
hydro--water is inexhaustible source;but the controversy regarding dams nd their high gestation period r its limitations...
nuclear--constant source of power;but high gestation period in setting up the plant nd non availability of nuclear fuel are its limitatons....

further,there r huge transmission nd distribution losses...nd the different grids keep on failing...
also regarding the electricity bills-- people dont like to pay...in villages they look for "maafi" of the pending bills....in the urban areas...there is unauthorised use of electricity....popularly known as "taanka maarna"...so there is loss of revenue nd electricity..

developing new sources of energy is indeed required but wht is required most is the improvement of the Transmission nd Distribution mechanisms...storage mechanisms...improvement in the attitude of the people towards electricity--paying their bills on time nd stop misusing electricity...

netra, aap Maharashtra,Tamil Nadu,Karnataka, Chattisgarh etc. ko bhool rahe hain...bijli ka utpadan in rajyon mein bhi kafi matra mein hota hai..
aur bhakra nangal sirf uttar bharat ka ek kendra hai...woh bhi Hydro Electric..

Maharashtra,Tamil Nadu,Karnataka, Chattisgarh me bhee bijlee ke utpaadan
hota hai par kitni matra me. Rajasthan me do thermalpower station hai ek kota or ek suratgarh. Lekin agar inkee maitenance sahe tor par hoo to
kam se kam rajasthan me bijlee ke kahmee nahi hogi par ooske liye kharcha
itna aata hai kee akele rajasthan sarkar ke baske baat nahi hai or ye
rajasthan ka durbhagya raha hai ke center or rajasthan state me sada
alag alag party kee sarkaar rahee hai. is liye rajasthan sarkar ko poora
paisa kendra se nahi mil pata.

Ab rajasthan me Pawan Bijli ghar bhee banne lage hai abhi ek naya prayog
sikar ke paas Harsh Parwat hai waha pawan chakki se bijli ka utpaadan ek chote roop me kiya ja raha hai agar ye prayog safal hota hao
to rajasthan me aravali parvat kafee door tak hai or iska fayada oothaya
ja skata hai.

rajasthan me paani kee samsaya nahar se door kee ja rahee hai kam se
kam barsat ke samay to in nahro me paane ayega or isse krishi me bijli
kee khapat kafee kam hogi.

netra...

brainspeak
December 14th, 2006, 07:08 PM
the southern states do produce electricity...nd not a small amount at tht...
i will give the figures...soon...
the belief tht whole of the electricity is produced nd consumed in northern India isnt correct..

rajasthan also has a nuclear power plant...at Rawat Bhatta