PDA

View Full Version : Anyone willing to share their weight-loss program's progress?

dahiyarules
December 22nd, 2006, 03:33 PM
Hello to all!

I know that quite a few Jatlanders were on weight-loss programs. Whats the progress with ya'll?

I went on Atkins and lost a 125 pounds but, as I gradually moved to a regular diet, I gained back 20 pounds. Do not forget that the last 2 months of intensive studying kept me away from the gym too.

So, I started working out along with a very diverse diet consisting of carbs, low fat, protein, fruits and vegetables.

The progress was sluggish compared to the 125 pounds I lost in under 6 months. But, now I am back to my target of 180-190 pounds and my weight is hanging on their.

I remember to stay away from fast food and keep a regular workout regimen.

deepshi
December 22nd, 2006, 04:19 PM
well Sumit, m pretty sure u might b havin vast knowledge of diets,,bt the basic fact is dat stay away frm Carbs.(means fruits moreso).they r hazardous.
stick to protein n fats,,yeah ..fats.

n a recently multiple studies have proven dat sleep is very much required to fight obesity...so doze time shud b increased.
(eludes me:o ,,bt i manage 2 compensate!!)

n yes,,Crunches.. whole body is affected, not only d abs

dahiyarules
December 22nd, 2006, 04:53 PM
well Sumit, m pretty sure u might b havin vast knowledge of diets,,bt the basic fact is dat stay away frm Carbs.(means fruits moreso).they r hazardous.
stick to protein n fats,,yeah ..fats.

n a recently multiple studies have proven dat sleep is very much required to fight obesity...so doze time shud b increased.
(eludes me:o ,,bt i manage 2 compensate!!)

n yes,,Crunches.. whole body is affected, not only d abs

Your body will loose weight very rapidly if you cut on the carbs because when there are no carbs in the body, it switched to the stored fat to derive energy. However, in the long run this is not a good strategy, because how long can you stay on a diet of chicken breasts and sea food. Do not forget that such diet is also very high in cholesterol.

I once tried shrimp for a month. I would eat shrimp day and night and nothing else. As you may know shrimp is naturally carb and fat free. I lost 35 pounds in a month. I went shopping for new pants twice that month. But, as a result I cannot stand the sight of shrimp. I hate shrimp.

If you stay on a regular diet along with a healthy workout regimen, you can easily loose all that weight in a longer period of time. But, it comes with the promise that you wont become big again if you stay off the bad food and stick to your workout.

I am not giving professional advice. Weight-loss programs need to be as individual as one's DNA. No two people have similar physical statistics. But, weight-loss strategies work in general if they are tweaked to personal requirements.

We the new generation, who are mostly on white-collar jobs are very different from our ancestors who slugged it out in the fields and then drank desi-ghee like water.

raj_rathee
December 22nd, 2006, 10:13 PM
Jitni try maari, utna hi ulta asar hua.

rajeshrathee
December 23rd, 2006, 05:35 AM
May someone give some inputs for the strict veggies for weightloss

netrapalsingh
December 23rd, 2006, 11:30 AM
Your body will loose weight very rapidly if you cut on the carbs because when there are no carbs in the body, it switched to the stored fat to derive energy. However, in the long run this is not a good strategy, because how long can you stay on a diet of chicken breasts and sea food. Do not forget that such diet is also very high in cholesterol.

I once tried shrimp for a month. I would eat shrimp day and night and nothing else. As you may know shrimp is naturally carb and fat free. I lost 35 pounds in a month. I went shopping for new pants twice that month. But, as a result I cannot stand the sight of shrimp. I hate shrimp.

If you stay on a regular diet along with a healthy workout regimen, you can easily loose all that weight in a longer period of time. But, it comes with the promise that you wont become big again if you stay off the bad food and stick to your workout.

I am not giving professional advice. Weight-loss programs need to be as individual as one's DNA. No two people have similar physical statistics. But, weight-loss strategies work in general if they are tweaked to personal requirements.

We the new generation, who are mostly on white-collar jobs are very different from our ancestors who slugged it out in the fields and then drank desi-ghee like water.

sumeet bhai ek baat batao food kis liye bana hai khane ke liye hee n
hamaree tulna me ek billi (cat) jyada food letee hai lekin kya ooska weight
badhta hai? nahi...ham kha to lete hai par oose ham kitna pacha pate hai
yah bhoot jaroori hai.

Hamare busurg desi ghee panee kee tarah peete the par kya kabhi
weight jyada hone kee problem oonko huyee? ye sab problems hamaree
khood kee creat kee huyee hai.

Pranayam agar koi kar sakta hai to sabse achaa tarika hai
weight control karne ka agar koi regular kar sakta hai for this
you can see www.divyajyoti.com.

netra........

amitchhikara
December 23rd, 2006, 07:32 PM
Sumit,

All these diet programs are fads and will only work temporarily. Also most of these diet plans take you away from proper nutrition. My advise would be to eat a balanced diet. You should cut things like sodas, cookies, chips or anything that has loads of corn syrup. Instead snack on a fruit when you get some sugar craving.

I try not to a fanatic as far as my diet is concerned. I allow myself anything i wish like pizza, burger etc one day a week and try to keep a good diet the rest of the week. As you very well might know that diet alone will never work. If you can also go to the gym and run for 30 min about 3-4 times a week it will be very effective. I have been following this for about 3 years and have been successful in keeping my body fat down. Also i would advise to not fixate yourself on numbers as to how much you weight. Two people with the same weight can look entirely different depending on how much of that weight is muscle and how much is fat.

I would be happy to help you further if you have any specific questions. I hope this helps.

brainspeak
December 24th, 2006, 12:11 PM
well i didnt go for any diet control mechanism.....but running nd rope skipping helped me loose weight...also, playing football helps a lot...
nd i dont think going to a gym nd being on a diet at the same time is useful....if u workout u have to have a good diet...

trueblueindian
December 24th, 2006, 01:34 PM

Raj bhai controll on diet is one gud way along wid regular workout...

Also tried and tested natural way is nimbu - sheahed (honey) emoty stomach in morning n in night does help a lot, i take this combination wid natural amla juice and widout disturbing my diet (doodh, gheee, makkhhan ) i managed to sheddd few inches in a month or two

dahiyarules
December 24th, 2006, 02:15 PM

Cut on fatty foods like whole milk and butter. And stop enjoying your ice cream. Let it melt. ;)

I was in India last year. There are no good jogging facilities in the urban areas. You can take the risk if you do not mind being run over by someone.

The next best alternative is to go to a gym with a very good tread mill. I have seen a wide array of tread mills. I prefer "Life Fitness" brand tread mills. They have a broader tread and are very durable.

I am on vegetarian food for now as I am cleaning my system of toxic materials that we consume along with supermarket meats.

I cook curries with near-zero fat. Use cooking oil just to make the surface of your pans slippery in order to prevent the onions from sticking.

Rest follow the recipe.

dahiyarules
December 24th, 2006, 02:27 PM
I would love to have baajre ki roti with seet and maakhan for breakfast. Churmaa for lunch. And wrap up my day with a dinner cooked with pure desi ghee.

Unfortunately I do not live a lifestyle that would complement such a diet. If I were to work in the field someday, I may switch to the diet mentioned above.

Till then, the best we can do is to watch what we eat and be active.

Just the other day I was contemplating buying a bicycle. I live 2 miles from my school. But I havent walked to school in 3 years. I remember my mother telling me how my father used to walk several miles to school each way everyday. It included a short swim across the canal outside our village of Nahra (Distt. Sonepat).

I want people to stop giving examples of our ancestors living a life of 100 years and lived on a diet of desi ghee from cradle to grave.

The white collar lifestyles do not match with blue collar diets.

Before I wrap up, let me ask what do you guys think blue collar Americans have for lunch. These guys are contruction workers and heavy machinery operators. And guess what they have for lunch. Fried chicken, mash potatoes, steaks, pies topped with whipped cream. I am sure that I wont live to be 30 if I was on such a diet. But these guys retire sometime after they turn 55. And most of them are in very good shape.

bls31
December 24th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Cancer News from Johns Hopkins:

1. No plastic containers in micro.
2. No water bottles in freezer.
3. No plastic wrap in microwave.

Johns Hopkins has recently sent this out in its newsletters. This information is being circulated at Walter Reed Army Medical Center as well.

Dioxin chemicals causes cancer, especially breast cancer. Dioxins are highly poisonous to the cells of our bodies. Don't freeze your plastic bottles with water in them as this releases dioxins from the plastic.

Recently, Dr. Edward Fujimoto, Wellness Program Manager at Castle Hospital, was on a TV program to explain this health hazard. He talked about dioxins and how bad they are for us.

He said that we should not be heating our food in the microwave using plastic containers. This especially applies to foods that contain fat.

He said that the combination of fat, high heat, and plastics releases dioxin into the food and ultimately into the cells of the body.

Instead, he recommends using glass, such as Corning Ware, Pyrex or ceramic containers for heating food. You get the same results, only without the dioxin.

So such things as TV dinners, instant ramen and soups, etc., should be removed from the container and heated in something else. Paper isn't bad but you don't know what is in the paper. It's just safer to use tempered glass, Corning Ware, etc.

He reminded us that a while ago some of the fast food restaurants moved away from the foam containers to paper. The dioxin problem is one of the reasons.

Also, he pointed out that plastic wrap, such as Saran, is just as dangerous when placed over foods to be cooked in the microwave. As the food is nuked, the high heat causes poisonous toxins to actually melt out of the plastic wrap and drip into the food.

Cover food with a paper towel instead

Brig Lakshman