PDA

View Full Version : Some unanswered questions !!!

pnauhwar21
January 19th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Not sure if I will get my answers here but thought of sharing some questions for which I didn't get any good answers till now..you can try to answer these or pose some unanswered questions you may have for others to answer..Somehow, I missed asking these questions to my science teachers in school :(

Hope this is not turned into a timepass thread so please avoid jokes

1) What is the composition of Fire - never read any chemical formula of fire or what it is made up of..how does it get created on clashing 2 rocks?

2) Water is made up of Hydrogen and oxygen- so can we create water in laboratory by mixing hydrogen and oxygen?

3) Why do we need oxygen to breathe & live and not any other gas viz. hydrogen which is far more abundant. How is oxygen different from hydrogen apart from some different atomic structure?

Will add some more later..

ritu
January 19th, 2007, 06:09 AM
hmm pahli baat to prashant ji ye ki answer batane ke paise lagege.doosri baat ye ki kya question free me pooch sakte h.

pnauhwar21
January 19th, 2007, 06:42 AM
hmm pahli baat to prashant ji ye ki answer batane ke paise lagege.doosri baat ye ki kya question free me pooch sakte h.

Rituji, if you are looking for money making here, then I am sorry..no paise will be given so you have your choice now..similarly you can ask ur questions for free..don't worry :)

and I missed putting my statement in bold so repeating 'hope this doesn't become a timepass thread so no jokes please' - I want this to be intellectually stimulating and not to tickle the funny bone :)

ritu
January 19th, 2007, 07:05 AM
ok sir no jokes.being a post graduate in chemistry i can try to answer all of ur questions.but let me first try to answer q no 3.
whatever we eat has carbon in it for eg in carbohydrates.and we need to get rid of it thats why we use oxygen from atmosphere to make carbon dioxide and breathe it out.

desijat
January 19th, 2007, 06:09 PM
ok sir no jokes.being a post graduate in chemistry i can try to answer all of ur questions.but let me first try to answer q no 3.
whatever we eat has carbon in it for eg in carbohydrates.and we need to get rid of it thats why we use oxygen from atmosphere to make carbon dioxide and breathe it out.

Hats off....

Let me try to answer 1st question...

Or rather add another question.... Is fire Liquid or Gas?

VPannu
January 19th, 2007, 06:14 PM
hmm pahli baat to prashant ji ye ki answer batane ke paise lagege.
HAHAHAHAHA Rituji.....paise nahi $$$$ lageinge.:p

being a post graduate in chemistry
manne to pahle e bera tha ak aap bahot shyaane ho.You are an intellectual human being:p

how does it get created on clashing 2 rocks?
Remember,Energy can neither be created nor be destroyed but it can be transferred/transformed from one form to the another.So when you strike 2 rocks they posses KE (Kinetic Energy) and that KE is converted into light(or fire in other words).

2) Water is made up of Hydrogen and oxygen- so can we create water in laboratory by mixing hydrogen and oxygen?
Yes this reaction is very much feasible if we apply the same atmospheric conditions.And Rituji has already answered the 3rd one.

abhishekphogat
January 19th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Tried to answer some unanswered questions

Not sure if I will get my answers here but thought of sharing some questions for which I didn't get any good answers till now..you can try to answer these or pose some unanswered questions you may have for others to answer..Somehow, I missed asking these questions to my science teachers in school :(

Hope this is not turned into a timepass thread so please avoid jokes

1) What is the composition of Fire - never read any chemical formula of fire or what it is made up of..how does it get created on clashing 2 rocks?

There is no formula of Fire, it is a type of energy. can u think of formula of sound, heat etc.
How come you feel heat while rubbing UR hands, u change one type of energy into other form of energy. when u clash two stones or any other hard surfaces, when the amount of Friction energy reches to its threashold, we see a small fire, that's it.:)

Yes Water gets created in Lab. usually byproduct of many reactions specially in reactions where energy is released.

3) Why do we need oxygen to breathe & live and not any other gas viz. hydrogen which is far more abundant. How is oxygen different from hydrogen apart from some different atomic structure?

In order for humans to survive, our bodies have figured out various ways to extract energy from out surroundings.
One of the ways is with food, which provides out cells with raw materials to make, repair and replace out cells as needed.
A different kind of energy we need is that which allows us to make use of these raw materials. The body has figured out a way to extract this from oxygen. When you inhale, the oxygen in the air is absorbed into your bloodstream through tiny sacs in your lungs, called alveoli.
As soon as the oxygen enters your blood, a passing protein molecule called hemoglobin picks it up. Each molecule of hemoglobin can transport four molecules of oxygen to almost anywhere in the body.
The hemoglobin transport the oxygen to your cells where another protein, called cytochrome C oxidase makes two molecules of water out of every molecules of oxygen delivered to it.
If you think about it, water is plentiful on earth. This tells us that if you have the individuals ingredients for water around each other, chances are water will be made. When this happens, there is a little bit of energy released. This protein cytochrome C oxidase, mixes the ingredients for water and harvests the released energy. The cells then use the energy to perform the everyday functions that your body needs.

Every Substance’s Characteristics depends upon substances Atomic structure, depending upon which it reacts with other substances, If u don’t consider atomic structure then uranium and oxygen in also equal as other substances are. I can’t even understand significance of this question.

Will add some more later..

pnauhwar21
January 23rd, 2007, 07:30 AM
Thanks for your answers folks though its still a little bit superficial..the point is that all these talk about carbon, atoms, energy is coined by man himself..everything has existed in nature..the terms like carbon, oxygen, atoms are given by man on the basis of discoveries over a period of time and identifying what works for us and what not but why are our bodies accustomed to oxygen and not some other gas? Can we live on hydrogen if we change something within our body..with so many talks about bio-genetic engineering, can we figure out a way where our internal system can collaborate with hydrogen rather than oxygen by identifying its atomic properties?

Secondly, its said that everything is made up of atoms. So, if we know the atomic structure of a thing, we should be able to create it in labs someday, maybe even oxygen, isnt it? Or may be change the atomic structure of hydrogen to that of oxygen :rolleyes:

Not sure if i am going overboard by overstretching my mind :)

ritu
January 23rd, 2007, 07:33 AM
Not sure if i am going overboard by overstretching my mind
yes u r and i am not joking .seriously

pnauhwar21
January 23rd, 2007, 07:43 AM
yes u r and i am not joking .seriously

Or may be I am another Einstein in the making :D 60 saal ki umar tak shayad ye funde samajh mein aa jayen :)

ritu
January 23rd, 2007, 07:47 AM
but never give up u never know tum bhi ban jayo einstein2 .fir bhool to nahi javoge koi nahi paise dikha k yad dil denge:rolleyes:
Or may be I am another Einstein in the making :D 60 saal ki umar tak shayad ye funde samajh mein aa jayen :)

cooljat
February 22nd, 2007, 11:24 AM
bhai prashant.....inne saawalon ka jawab paaye ki nahi...eib agar paa gaye ho to hume bhi batla de maada sa!

Rock on
Jit