PDA

View Full Version : Indecisiveness

navingulia
January 21st, 2007, 09:58 AM
we(includes me) often tend to put off things making indecisiveness our excuse. The reality is that we suffer much more from indecisiveness than from wrong decisions.

The principle i have been learning to follow over recent times is 'Do something straight away'. Rather than finding reasons why not to do a thing right now, find ways to do it straight away.

sukhda
January 21st, 2007, 01:19 PM
Exactly Navin bhaisahab......Action is always better than contemplation as no one knows what he can do till he tries!!! Action awakens interest and enthusiasm. Your hands at work will rouse your heart to back them. A bitter truth .......TOMORROWS NEVER COME!!! Hope ppl concerned understand it really soon!!

Sukhda

keshavdahiya
January 21st, 2007, 01:49 PM
we(includes me) often tend to put off things making indecisiveness our excuse. The reality is that we suffer much more from indecisiveness than from wrong decisions.

The principle i have been learning to follow over recent times is 'Do something straight away'. Rather than finding reasons why not to do a thing right now, find ways to do it straight away.

finally you stuck the Idea Naveen bhai....but tell me something...do you have any ideas about strategically planning as to how to implement what you want to do....all things cant be just done like that...OR do you just take your keys and start driving....at least you think about how you will manage the fuel, food, water, etc etc....

or tell me were you talking about things or you wanted to say the actions we perform in day to day life...???

neels
January 21st, 2007, 02:00 PM

I do not agree with it completely. Indecisiveness (difficulty in making decision) and Procratinating (to delay the action till another day or time) are two different things. Well we should not procrastinate the things without any genuine reasons. But at the same should not be impulsive also doing things straight away without giving a fair consideration to the pro n cons. Indecisiveness always comes with conflicts, and they are many times complex enough to resolve and to choose one way out of two or many.

sumeetmalik
January 21st, 2007, 02:15 PM
You are quite right, Navin. The idea that is catching up now and is similar to what you are proposing, is that of 'Blink' Decisions. This way you decide faster, based on your instincts, gut feel, the baggage you carry, your enviroment, etc.

Social Scientists are now concluding that taking time to decide does not necessarily result in right decisions. In fact some times 'blink' decisions are better than relaxed contemplated ones. It also stems from the fact that there is a 'moment' when we finally make up our mind. The idea is to attain that moment quickly. The rest is then 'waste of time'.

For some amazing insights do read the book by Malcom Gladwell titled, Blink (what else, eh?)

http://www.gladwell.com/blink/

neels
January 21st, 2007, 03:11 PM
You are quite right, Navin. The idea that is catching up now and is similar to what you are proposing, is that of 'Blink' Decisions. This way you decide faster, based on your instincts, gut feel, the baggage you carry, your enviroment, etc.

Social Scientists are now concluding that taking time to decide does not necessarily result in right decisions. In fact some times 'blink' decisions are better than relaxed contemplated ones. It also stems from the fact that there is a 'moment' when we finally make up our mind. The idea is to attain that moment quickly. The rest is then 'waste of time'.

For some amazing insights do read the book by Malcom Gladwell titled, Blink (what else, eh?)

http://www.gladwell.com/blink/

You are right Sumit, Instints, Gut, or say Blink can be helpful in making decisions, and mostly come up with right decisions... but not always. And one thing more sometimes instints can be impulsive also and impuses may not be right always !!!

sumeetmalik
January 21st, 2007, 07:23 PM
No. 'Blink' is not just about guts and instincts. The proponent of the theory Malcom Gladwell says it is infact the opposite of that. It is rapid cognition in his words. Or here at this thread (since it is titled indecisiveness), we can call it 'deciding fast'.

There are a lot of rational factors that go into it. Your environment, your position with regards to it, your world view, etc.

I thought I mentioned environment and personal baggage. If it didn't come out clearly, my bad. But the book explains the factors and the thinking process rationally and lucidly. Unlike me.

What really fascinates me is the fact that nobody knows if the decision one is making will be right or wrong. Whether you sit on it for days or few hours or few minutes. With 'blink' you certainly can decide faster and ten employ the rest of the time executing it. Sort of a corollary to the theory of Karma.

navingulia
January 21st, 2007, 09:46 PM
Bhai keshave,
You are right we have to plan things but everything cant be planned in advance, most of the solutions we get when we get on ground. Planning to have all the answers before we begin only delays the work indefinitely. When you are on ground you always find a way out. At times you may have to ‘sell the cow’ to raise funds/resources but that is adventurism. At a later stage in life do we want to look back at a life where we took decisions and made things happen or we want to look at a life where we waited for things to happen which didn’t happen.
We all always have good reasons for not having taken decisions or for losing in an effort. These reasons can give us some solace but they cant give us the joy or peace that comes with success. Victory goes to the one who wins. We have to take our decisions and put our energy into making them succeed.
In most cases it is not the rightness or wrongness of a decision that matters, it is the sincerity with which the decision is taken.

Neelam Ji,
I am not advocating impulsiveness. Yo impulsive behavior tai e jaat sab tai batti mare sain.
But it so many times happens that we keep decisions pending for days, weeks, months and years. A decision can never be perfect, the sincerity with which it is taken can be. Delaying a decision makes it more wrong than right.

Sumeet Ji,
I agree with that ‘blink’ decision. I will give one example to add to that. If you are walking on the road and unconsciously you pick up a stone and throw it at a pole it will hit the pole but if you think, aim and throw you will miss it every time.
It is because the subconscious mind makes the right calculations without being effected by emotions/sentiments where as a conscious mind gets influenced and either hesitates or makes wrong decisions.

Sukhda Ji,
Right. Hesitation/indecisiveness itself is a mistake.
If we take a chance we may win or we may lose but if we play safe we have as it is chosen to lose.

'I dont claim truth because I dont need to' - Nothing is a complete truth - even the sun doesnt rise from east on every planet. Truth is always related to a context.

sumeetmalik
January 21st, 2007, 11:04 PM
'In most cases it is not the rightness or wrongness of a decision that matters, it is the sincerity with which the decision is taken.'

I like it a lot.

navingulia
January 22nd, 2007, 07:09 PM
Bhai Sumeet,
The surrounding people and circumstances usually try to put a doubt in our minds destroying our decisons before they are taken.
Its a negative energy we ve to counter all the time.
Till date i have never regretted taking any decision. The only time i regret is when i want able to take a decision.

sumeetmalik
January 22nd, 2007, 07:36 PM
I am remembering idea of a "Regret Minimization Framework". Basically you decide thinking what will minimize your regrets. So you find what you regret in life, and then get on with the plan.

Most people in the world decide in "Risk Minimization Framework". Those seldomly are able to push the limits. And they bring the kind of negative energy you are talking about.

Most people say the real fun is in maximising risks. Don't think. Just do it. Life is short. etc.

I say it is in minimising regrets.;)

sjakhars
January 22nd, 2007, 08:16 PM
Agree with you word to word Navin Bhai.
As we delay decison making, the passsage between success and us increases. Its better to take decions than waiting for favorable circumstances. Indecisiveness only makes you weak in your efforts and increases the possibility of failure. Best thing is to take decison when its needed and than put all your resources to make it a success.

Regards.

In most cases it is not the rightness or wrongness of a decision that matters, it is the sincerity with which the decision is taken.

Neelam Ji,
I am not advocating impulsiveness. Yo impulsive behavior tai e jaat sab tai batti mare sain.
But it so many times happens that we keep decisions pending for days, weeks, months and years. A decision can never be perfect, the sincerity with which it is taken can be. Delaying a decision makes it more wrong than right.

Sumeet Ji,
I agree with that ‘blink’ decision. I will give one example to add to that. If you are walking on the road and unconsciously you pick up a stone and throw it at a pole it will hit the pole but if you think, aim and throw you will miss it every time.
It is because the subconscious mind makes the right calculations without being effected by emotions/sentiments where as a conscious mind gets influenced and either hesitates or makes wrong decisions.

Sukhda Ji,
Right. Hesitation/indecisiveness itself is a mistake.
If we take a chance we may win or we may lose but if we play safe we have as it is chosen to lose.

'I dont claim truth because I dont need to' - Nothing is a complete truth - even the sun doesnt rise from east on every planet. Truth is always related to a context.

cooljat
January 22nd, 2007, 09:01 PM
Navin Bhaisaab
very gud point raised!!

Well, I here agree with ur thinkin'.
like famous Nike punch line 'Just Do it'...I believe if its worthwile to do, dont think twice 'Just Do it!!

As for *strategic Planing* I exprienced plans often tend to fail...although a lil basic homework is always better but there's nothin like fool-proof planin...cuz things hardly go that way :)

Aur waise bhi Life mein Risk to lena hi padta hai...there's nothin like feelin the adrenaline rush & livin on the edge!!!

Rock on!
Jit

choudharysaaab
January 22nd, 2007, 11:55 PM
Navian bhaisaab,

I admit that we suffer much more from indecisiveness than from wrong decision. It is our indicisivenss only which alsways push us not to take actions at the right time, i also admit that these action may not always be the right one, or the most appropriate to the concerned situation. Yet, what is required ultimately that we, without, being affected from other so called *expected* results (failures), do our work, whatever we have thought of doing. Although, careful planning should have been done for actions/plan to take place, but, most of the time, we find ourselves in dilemma like ...should i do it or not ( of course we always fear of failures, had you been sure of success you would have taken that action, and hence no situation of indicisiveness in this case could appear). If you look at my signature you will see this quite suits to this kind of *undicisiveness*, I will urge to the members that they ought to work tuwards whatever they have dreamed about. No matter if it is a matter of LOVE, hahaha...or a matter of some entrance examination. You know if we dont do...we cant do, otherwise we at least would have some expectations for our dream to come true.

pnauhwar21
January 23rd, 2007, 08:16 AM
Navin bhai,

In practical life, I believe indecisiveness is sometimes really required or to stretch it a little bit, may be pessimism too.. For example, when I plan on doing something I like to think over all its pros and cons rather than deciding right away..it depends on situation to situation whether you want to be a little bit indecisive or a 'blink' doer. If I have to do bunjee jumping from a cliff, I wont think about pros n cons, I will just do it..but if I have to leave my stable job and start a business, I cannot 'Just Do it'. I will have to think about lot of things, find out the potential issues and my backup plans, think whether I should really go ahead or not especially if I dont have a big financial backup. So, there are various stages in life where so called indecisiveness actually helps you to take a better decision.

Though sometimes, indecisiveness also costs you if you delay it too much but its better to be safe than sorry as per my experience. So, a balance of both the thoughts are necessary. Again it all depends for what situation you are taking the decision.

yudhvirmor
January 23rd, 2007, 09:18 AM

Gullia bhai, i am just trying to rephrase your concern.

There are 4 kind of tasks:--
1. Critical and important
2. Non Critcal and important
3. Critical and not important
4. Non critical and not important.

Most of our activites lies in one category that is Non critical and important.
For example we know that we have to pay utility bills but we keep on delayind that thing till last date.
Then we take leave and stand in long queues and crib a lot about system.

That task was just important but not critical but we made that critical.

Intertia plays a big role in these kind of activites and i think we all suffer from this upto some extent.

In many cases Indecisiveness (http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?p=129136#post129136) leads to wrong decisions.

i should say act fast, but act smart:) :) :)

navingulia
January 23rd, 2007, 10:19 AM
Prashant Nauhar Ji,
I am 100% for the preparation part.
What I am meaning is say for e.g. say if you are not at all satisfied with your current stable job, so you straightaway decide that you are going to leave it and work on something you like, say a business or any project. You decide but you dont leav your job, you start working and planning on the decision/dream decision that you have made and you put all your passion into it.
We often tend to just wait for a suitable time to come when we can take a decision but the suitable time never comes.
We agree, Planning, preparation and hard work is the most important part of a decision. There cant be any compromises with that.

Bhai yudhvir,
You are right. Inertia rules our life. In some cases it is inertia of motion/activity and in most cases inertia of rest.
Decision and action are related. Decision is taken now, action may come later after preparation/homework has been done.
The decision to pay the bill was always there only the action was delayed.
Routine decisions we tend to delay or buy time so that our calculations and homework is done. Like shares/investing/buying property.

Hemant Bhai,
Yes, most of us often regret not having expressed our love when we should have.
Also, i am sure we always suffer for not expressing our love not only to our beloved but to everyone.

skarmveer
January 23rd, 2007, 12:30 PM
Navin Bhai Ram-Ram,

Bahut Badhiya hai Most of the time in my life I agreee with a faster decision
if the loss or profits belongs directly to me, but I take some time when its for our family, freinds or society or for my work place. I am fully agree with if a fast decesion taken with full sencierity then results will never hurt much.

Gyanvardhak Jankari key liyea dhanayawad.

Regards

Prashant Nauhar Ji,
I am 100% for the preparation part.
What I am meaning is say for e.g. say if you are not at all satisfied with your current stable job, so you straightaway decide that you are going to leave it and work on something you like, say a business or any project. You decide but you dont leav your job, you start working and planning on the decision/dream decision that you have made and you put all your passion into it.
We often tend to just wait for a suitable time to come when we can take a decision but the suitable time never comes.
We agree, Planning, preparation and hard work is the most important part of a decision. There cant be any compromises with that.

Bhai yudhvir,
You are right. Inertia rules our life. In some cases it is inertia of motion/activity and in most cases inertia of rest.
Decision and action are related. Decision is taken now, action may come later after preparation/homework has been done.
The decision to pay the bill was always there only the action was delayed.
Routine decisions we tend to delay or buy time so that our calculations and homework is done. Like shares/investing/buying property.

Hemant Bhai,
Yes, most of us often regret not having expressed our love when we should have.
Also, i am sure we always suffer for not expressing our love not only to our beloved but to everyone.

sumeetmalik
January 23rd, 2007, 01:51 PM
Dear Prashant,

Navin Bhai has said what I wanted to say on your comment. Prep and planning is most important in any endeavour. We are just talking about reaching that stage quickly.

The 'regret minimisation framework' I was talking about was infact mentioned by Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon, who quit his cushy job in Wall Street to start his own start up with his father's life savings. In a year he had 60 million dollars worth of investment. But he didn't just leave his job like that. He was working with the companies to train himself to be an enterpreneur. And even when he started on his own he says he was giving himself 30% chance to succeed(which by the way is three times of the success rate of start ups in US).
So the doubts and risks are always there. But no regrets. He says when he turns 80 he doesn't want to look back at his life and regret that he didn't give it a shot. Failure and success don't matter. But a sincere shot does. After all it takes a lifetime to create something worthwhile.

deepshi
January 23rd, 2007, 03:18 PM
biggest hurdle to succes-procastination.
Exactly Navin bhaisahab......Action is always better than contemplation as no one knows what he can do till he tries!!! Action awakens interest and enthusiasm. Your hands at work will rouse your heart to back them. A bitter truth .......TOMORROWS NEVER COME!!! Hope ppl concerned understand it really soon!!

Sukhda