PDA

View Full Version : Apple IPOD Vs. Microsoft Zune

dahiyarules
January 26th, 2007, 11:05 PM
I want to start a discussion about Apple IPOD and Microsoft Zune.

I have used an IPOD before. After I got rid of it I swore to myself that I will never buy an IPOD in my life. The player is very incompatible with Microsoft Windows and related file extensions.

Yesterday I got my Microsoft Zune. My first impression was that anyone who has ever used an IPOD will never use it again if they use Zune even once.

It is a marvelous piece of equipment. Lighter than an IPOD, the Zune features an impressively huge and sharp video display. The controls are so easy that even a novice may not need to look at the users manual to figure out how to play with their zune. The zune also has a FM tuner and wireless connectivity, some features that IPOD is going to steal for their next generation of IPOD.

If you are looking to buy an MP3 Player in the near future, check out the zune before you make your mind.

pnauhwar21
January 27th, 2007, 08:18 AM
One major drawback of Zune is that you can't use it as a usb hard drive which is always an extra feature with mp3 players like this especially when you are getting such disk space. Just can't think why Microsoft did that when every other mp3 player provides that feature..:confused:

sunnysangwan
January 27th, 2007, 10:01 AM
And what about Zune being almost twice the size of a nano? Personally, I'm waiting eagerly for the iPhone, gng to get it the first day :)

dahiyarules
January 27th, 2007, 10:20 AM
One major drawback of Zune is that you can't use it as a usb hard drive which is always an extra feature with mp3 players like this especially when you are getting such disk space. Just can't think why Microsoft did that when every other mp3 player provides that feature..:confused:

You cannot do that with an IPOD either.

I heard about some cracks on the internet that allowed you to do so. But, I never bothered to check them out.

dahiyarules
January 27th, 2007, 10:23 AM
And what about Zune being almost twice the size of a nano? Personally, I'm waiting eagerly for the iPhone, gng to get it the first day :)

Thanks for gauging your sentiments. Looking forward to make some money off impatient folks like you off ebay. He He He :D :D

sunnysangwan
January 27th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Thanks for gauging your sentiments. Looking forward to make some money off impatient folks like you off ebay. He He He :D :D

Don't worry, I never buy electronics off ebay, nyways I'll be lookin out for u on ebay.:D

dahiyarules
January 27th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Don't worry, I never buy electronics off ebay, nyways I'll be lookin out for u on ebay.:D

If you are willing to shell 5000 dollars, I can arrange you an Iphone in March.

It will fly for 400 a piece on July 1st.

I know someone who will be getting a shipment of "1000 pieces of test equipment IPhones" at the end of Februrary.

sunnysangwan
January 27th, 2007, 10:59 PM
If you are willing to shell 5000 dollars, I can arrange you an Iphone in March.

It will fly for 400 a piece on July 1st.

I know someone who will be getting a shipment of "1000 pieces of test equipment IPhones" at the end of Februrary.

I'd rather wait till July:)

pnauhwar21
January 28th, 2007, 12:52 AM
You cannot do that with an IPOD either.

I heard about some cracks on the internet that allowed you to do so. But, I never bothered to check them out.

You can do it easily with IPOD and don't even need a crack..its official on Apple's site itself..check here http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61131

I did see some unofficial crack listed for zune but seems dangerous as it plays around with registry and could corrupt something else..

So, you just enjoy your music for now :)

gaganjat
January 28th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Sumit good on you brother u raised this topic!

IPOD tai ghatiya cheez is poori duniya mai kuch nhi!

manne 'Ipod nano' kharida 30GB ka. the operations are useless , software is crap, battry cant even run for an hour. its such a piece of sh*t. U cant manage it on computer, cant even hadle it by itself.

after spending that $470 and $50 on case. I thought I should get a Fm tuner (for $120) for my Ipod to play it by tuning it to my car stereo. but that tuning thing is the worst thing u can buy from apple shop.

then I thought I have already spent so much lets spend some more and I changed my Holden's factory fitted car stereo and got a alpine Ipod compatable one (it comes with a lead which connects ur Ipod to stereo and charge it too, nd Ipod can be operated from car stereo). so I spent another $650. nd finally realised that those thousands of songs cant be browsed by stereo remote. and Ipod doesnt operate if u connect it to stereo.

If u want to go to song no 1500 from song no. 1 u have to press ur remote button 1500 times.

All this Ipod sh**t is stuffed.

I ended up spending $1300 on all I listed above and its still not practical to use.

So brothers stay away from Ipods buy something better

dahiyarules
January 28th, 2007, 10:08 PM

manne 'Ipod nano' kharida 30GB ka. the operations are useless , software is crap, battry cant even run for an hour. its such a piece of sh*t. U cant manage it on computer, cant even hadle it by itself.

after spending that $470 and $50 on case. I thought I should get a Fm tuner (for $120) for my Ipod to play it by tuning it to my car stereo. but that tuning thing is the worst thing u can buy from apple shop.

then I thought I have already spent so much lets spend some more and I changed my Holden's factory fitted car stereo and got a alpine Ipod compatable one (it comes with a lead which connects ur Ipod to stereo and charge it too, nd Ipod can be operated from car stereo). so I spent another $650. nd finally realised that those thousands of songs cant be browsed by stereo remote. and Ipod doesnt operate if u connect it to stereo.

If u want to go to song no 1500 from song no. 1 u have to press ur remote button 1500 times.

I ended up spending $1300 on all I listed above and its still not practical to use.

Ha Ha Ha

I went through a near similar mental torture.

Fortunately my IPOD had extended warranty. After 2 years of making trips to the repaid shop, Best Buy gave me a new IPOD Nano 60 GB which I put on Ebay the next day and sold at a loss of 80 dollars. I atleast managed to get out 80 percent of my investment.

The cover that I had bought for my IPOD fits well with my Zune.

As for the radio tuner, it will work in India only where they dont have a radio station at every 10th of a frequency. And still FM bandwidth is too low to benefit from the high Bitrate MP3s. So, I used a cassette adaptor to connect my IPOD/Zune to my sterio. Yea! my car has a cassette player. Cassette Plaayer + CD player + Radio tuners used to be standard on all Nissans till recently.

Its a cheap fix, but works damn well.

So far I cannot talk about the durability of a Zune. But, the functionality is several times better than an IPOD. No crazy complicated stuff. Every time I press a button my the Zune I still suffer from the fear of having my MP3 player freeze on me. But so far Zunes been a sweetheart. I will post it the very first time it disappoints me.

nonu
January 30th, 2007, 10:23 PM

i say you should have gone for ipod shufffle they have a long life battery that stays charged for atleast 8 hours and shuffles are pretty cheap

sunitahooda
January 31st, 2007, 10:28 AM
Sumit how much a Microsoft Zune cost?
I want to start a discussion about Apple IPOD and Microsoft Zune.

I have used an IPOD before. After I got rid of it I swore to myself that I will never buy an IPOD in my life. The player is very incompatible with Microsoft Windows and related file extensions.

Yesterday I got my Microsoft Zune. My first impression was that anyone who has ever used an IPOD will never use it again if they use Zune even once.

It is a marvelous piece of equipment. Lighter than an IPOD, the Zune features an impressively huge and sharp video display. The controls are so easy that even a novice may not need to look at the users manual to figure out how to play with their zune. The zune also has a FM tuner and wireless connectivity, some features that IPOD is going to steal for their next generation of IPOD.

If you are looking to buy an MP3 Player in the near future, check out the zune before you make your mind.

dahiyarules
January 31st, 2007, 03:12 PM
Sumit how much a Microsoft Zune cost?

Retail is 249 plus taxes (Appx. 270 to 275 in most states). I got mine off ebay for 227 incl shipping.

dahiyarules
January 31st, 2007, 03:16 PM
Here is another reason why Zune will win the war eventually.

Zune is a very simple piece of equipment compared to Apples very complicated IPOD.

Zune has been put together with just two screws. It has a board, LCD, Battery and a Hard Drive. Just like a windows based PC.

Anyone who has some knowledge of fixing PCs can fix a zune in no time. Already, third party zune parts are floating in the market. Some people have even upgraded their zunes to 80 GBs using toshiba drives.

Watch out for the Zune. It definitely will be a hit in places like India where repair and maintenance are big issues due to rugged use of such equipment.

sunitahooda
January 31st, 2007, 03:20 PM
Hmm...sounds reasonably priced ...thanks!
Retail is 249 plus taxes (Appx. 270 to 275 in most states). I got mine off ebay for 227 incl shipping.

d_dhankhar
February 13th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Hi Guys,

I am a huge supporter of iPOD, my first iPOD was the second gen 10 GB iPOD, which is still working (and I used it rigorously) and in pretty good condition. The only problem I am having with that is the battery life but after three years I understand you start loosing something. At that time I spent nearly over 700 $ for it. Which I think was worth.

First thing I liked about iPOD was the quality of sound. I tried so many other MP3 players but no one can beat the iPOD’s quality.
It basically depends on the user the way they use them. Since my first day I made it my duty that I discharge my iPOD’s battery once a week. Which gives your battery a very long life.

Second thing for which I support the iPOD is for the; innovation, the time they launched they faced all sort of issues in front of them, first the hard disk size, then battery size and its life. But slowly, they build this piece of equipment to be a winner. What Microsoft did, they looked at the iPOD’s success and then created there own music player, they kept all the good things from iPOD, (innovation, hard disk from Toshiba, the battery charging mechanism etc) and they put few other things on top of that which apple is never gonna do like sharing the music wirelessly which I think is piracy. It’s very easy to copy someone, but to create something new altogether is very hard.

Just like its all other technologies, Microsoft copied the iPOD in the form of zune. They copied PS2 in the form of XBOX, Oracle in the form of SQL Server, OS X in the form of windows Vista etc the list is long.

I just bought my second iPOD (30 GB iPOD video) which I think has some real good features like games I seriously don’t like them they are hard to play, so I don’t use them much coz I use it only as a music player. And quality wise no one can beat the iPOD just try using the Sennheiser earphone, I bet you all start loving the iPOD.

dahiyarules
February 13th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Hi Guys,

I am a huge supporter of iPOD, my first iPOD was the second gen 10 GB iPOD, which is still working (and I used it rigorously) and in pretty good condition. The only problem I am having with that is the battery life but after three years I understand you start loosing something. At that time I spent nearly over 700 $ for it. Which I think was worth.

First thing I liked about iPOD was the quality of sound. I tried so many other MP3 players but no one can beat the iPOD’s quality.
It basically depends on the user the way they use them. Since my first day I made it my duty that I discharge my iPOD’s battery once a week. Which gives your battery a very long life.

Second thing for which I support the iPOD is for the; innovation, the time they launched they faced all sort of issues in front of them, first the hard disk size, then battery size and its life. But slowly, they build this piece of equipment to be a winner. What Microsoft did, they looked at the iPOD’s success and then created there own music player, they kept all the good things from iPOD, (innovation, hard disk from Toshiba, the battery charging mechanism etc) and they put few other things on top of that which apple is never gonna do like sharing the music wirelessly which I think is piracy. It’s very easy to copy someone, but to create something new altogether is very hard.

Just like its all other technologies, Microsoft copied the iPOD in the form of zune. They copied PS2 in the form of XBOX, Oracle in the form of SQL Server, OS X in the form of windows Vista etc the list is long.

I just bought my second iPOD (30 GB iPOD video) which I think has some real good features like games I seriously don’t like them they are hard to play, so I don’t use them much coz I use it only as a music player. And quality wise no one can beat the iPOD just try using the Sennheiser earphone, I bet you all start loving the iPOD.

I will agree with you on the Sennheiser earphones. I have a pair of Bose headphones which are as perfect a pair of headphones could get.

But yesterday I tired a friends Senheiser CX300. They sell for around 80 dollars. You can get cheaper ones on Ebay. beware of piracy. coming to the point, the sennheiser earphones were so damn out of the world I cannot tell you. I felt like someone put concert quality speakers in my ears. If anyone is looking to ocmplement their MP3 player with earphones, try sennheiser.