PDA

View Full Version : " Why are Indian's doing so good in ICT?"

rakeshdahiya
January 30th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Recently, after my presntation in a Singapore school on ICT(Information and Communication Technology) in Education, one of the teachers walked up to me and asked " Why are Indian's doing so good in ICT?"

At that point in time what came immediately to my mind was the following, as I tried to answer his question:

a) Indians have traditionally been very good in maths and sciences (right from Aryabhatt times)

b) Because of a large pool of english speaking people

c) Looking at the initial success of Indian IT industry the government has also decided to promote it more vigorously by setting up IT Parks in different parts of the country.

Besides the above, what do other worthy Jatlander's feel are the reasons for India doing exceptionally good in ICT??

narendra81
January 30th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Rakesh you are true that indians are good in maths and sciences and they have prooved it already.
Now IT era came and we accepted it with open arms. At the same time like industrial revolution in last century, it is IT revolution in this century so high requirment is there. Indians are ahead because unlike poor engineering education in last century (because we were just got freedom), india is now capable of providing world class IT education.
Then, response was great (IT grauduates got good jobs and IT companies are doing fine) so we took the lead.
What I want to say is that Indians were always sound in logical thinking but it is reflected much clearly in this case because of the factors mentioned above.
further, ppl can add or correct to my views...
thanks..

pmalhan
January 31st, 2007, 12:48 PM
Very true Narender, also earlier Govt. policies shielded India from any technological or Industrial developments. When the govt opened the industry all sectors grew. IT got special status because at the time the govt changed its policies IT revolution was taking place across the globe.

We became the leader in this sector.

anujgoliya
February 1st, 2007, 11:22 AM
Dear

The no of Indians doing well in high Tech technology is still miniscule. Most of us are basically doing well in level two s/w related projects. Looking at the trends i see a bright future as more and more multinationals are setting up R&D centers in India.

Br// Anuj

narendra81
February 1st, 2007, 11:45 AM
you r r8 anuj..
stil level 2 s/w related projects are with us....
moving to R/D will really give us the gr8 lead over others...
But it is a gradual process which may take time and i m quite hopefull that this procees will contribute a lot towards our India 2020 mission.
Further, not only foreign multinationals but even indian multinationals will also start their R/D centers after they get saturated financially.
Because in service base projects (level 2), financial returns are quick but in R/D products, returns will take time (need heavy investments also ) and after that they can change lives like what happened with microsoft after lounching Windows.

regards,
Narendra

deepakchoudhry
February 1st, 2007, 01:12 PM
Recently, after my presntation in a Singapore school on ICT(Information and Communication Technology) in Education, one of the teachers walked up to me and asked " Why are Indian's doing so good in ICT?"

At that point in time what came immediately to my mind was the following, as I tried to answer his question:

a) Indians have traditionally been very good in maths and sciences (right from Aryabhatt times)

b) Because of a large pool of english speaking people

c) Looking at the initial success of Indian IT industry the government has also decided to promote it more vigorously by setting up IT Parks in different parts of the country.

Besides the above, what do other worthy Jatlander's feel are the reasons for India doing exceptionally good in ICT??

This is a perception created by IT Outsourcing in recent times.

But it is a Good perception so make hay while the "IT" sun shines on India.