PDA

View Full Version : IQ versus EQ

neels
February 4th, 2007, 04:31 PM
All are familiar with the term IQ (Intelligent Quotient) which has become so much of public parlance that the term is greatly distorted and many a times used as malicious abuse that such and such person has no IQ (Akal). On a scientific note, IQ is the measure of cognitive abilities, such as the ability to learn, to understand, to think rationally and to deal with new situations. A person's IQ greatly predicts what he shall make out of life. So far so good.

But Psychologists have lately been focusing attention on EQ (Emotional Quotient) which is a measure of your emotional intelligence, or your ability to use both your emotions and cognitive skills in your life. The Greek Philosopher Aristotle had a recipe for handling relationships smoothly. You must be able; he said “to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose, and in the right way”. Psychologists call such self-control “Emotional Intelligence”. It is a major element of satisfying life.

Emotional Intelligence refers to a combination of skills. These include empathy, self-control, self-awareness, sensitivity to the feelings of others, persistence, self-motivation, intuition, creativity, flexibility, resilience, coping, stress management, leadership, integrity, authenticity, intrapersonal skills and interpersonal skills and above all, ability to maintain hope and an optimistic outlook in the face of disappointments and difficulties - all those traits that are prerequisites to make success in life.

People who excel in life tend to be emotionally intelligent. On the other hand, the costs of poor emotional skills can be high. They range from the problems in social life to poor physical health. A lack of emotional intelligence can ruin careers and sabotage achievement. Perhaps the greatest toll falls on children and teenagers. For them, poor emotional skills can contribute to depression, eating problems, unwanted pregnancy, aggression, and violent crime.
Recent research shows that your emotional quotient (EQ) might be a better predictor of success than your intellectual quotient (IQ), despite an assumption that people with high IQs will naturally accomplish more in life. People with higher EQ are more likely to do well in life as it defines how good one feels about oneself and how tuned they are to themselves. If you are on a ride of high self-esteem then you will be more likely to perform better than others suffering lowered self-esteem. As simple as that! Sometimes it has been seen that individuals with higher EQ and not higher IQ necessarily make more success in their lives in comparison to individuals who have higher IQ but lower EQ. It may be because EQ prepares a person to lead his peers, take decisions and nurture better relationships.

Moreover, unlike IQ, your emotional quotient is not an inborn trait rather is a skill that can be taught and facilitated in individuals who deviate significantly from the norm in their intellectual intelligence (IQ). Sometimes it is found that highly intelligent children can not develop bonds with their peers and may feel left out from the group. As a result, such children may enter their adulthood with weak self-esteem and defensive behavior designed to ward off uncomfortable and unrewarding personal interactions. Loneliness and feelings of isolation are common features of highly gifted people who have not been taught to bridge the emotional and social gulf between themselves and the majority population. Thus EQ is much more imporatnt for success in life rather than IQ and the best part is that EQ can be fostered. With proper nurturing of EQ, gifted children can be brought into mainstream while children with lower IQs be fostered with abilities to march ahead in life.

Despite EQ being a more reliable predictor of academic achievement than is the IQ and can be learned, yet, it is neglected in our education both at home and at school to the peril of young students. Thus, need of the hour is to make it integral part of curriculum since in today’s consumerist world, children often seem to lack the ability to empathize, negotiate and cooperate, and also suffer from lack of optimism and feel hopeless about the future due to the demands and pressures that pull them in various directions. This void has potentially negative consequences, first on their academic achievement and second on their interpersonal relationships which ultimately have dire consequences with regard to their psychosocial development and lead to behavior problems, alienation, and even aggression and violence. Hence, inclusion of nurturing EQ in education is important so that these young children grow up into confident adults.

cooljat
February 4th, 2007, 07:21 PM
EQ scored certainly more then IQ!!

Rock on
Jit

sumeetmalik
February 5th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Very interesting article Dr. Neelam. I like the part how it connects self-esteem with emotional quotient.

Do you have any specific studies regarding this article? They will just be an icing on the cake.

cooljat
February 5th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Well, I dont know if ur aware of it or not Neels.....that we've one fellow Jatlander who's done Phd in EQ & even published a book on EQ too!!

His name is Dr. Vinod Sanwal.....he was very active member earlier but nowdays missing here...u guys can get in touch with him!!

just click this link for more info about this great Jat : http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6816

Rock on
Jit

Samarkadian
February 5th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Indeed EQ nurturing in current cut throat comptetion is not only mandatory in acedemics, but also if trained properly , parents would never be complaining generation gap.It wud definatly bridge the gap between kids n parents.A well concretised programe both for parents n young aspirants can help in reduing stress leval n hence inbalance in society and family.

How do you see it could be implemented at grass root leval Neelam ji?

Despite EQ being a more reliable predictor of academic achievement than is the IQ and can be learned, yet, it is neglected in our education both at home and at school to the peril of young students. Thus, need of the hour is to make it integral part of curriculum since in today’s consumerist world, children often seem to lack the ability to empathize, negotiate and cooperate, and also suffer from lack of optimism and feel hopeless about the future due to the demands and pressures that pull them in various directions. This void has potentially negative consequences, first on their academic achievement and second on their interpersonal relationships which ultimately have dire consequences with regard to their psychosocial development and lead to behavior problems, alienation, and even aggression and violence. Hence, inclusion of nurturing EQ in education is important so that these young children grow up into confident adults. [/QUOTE]

neels
February 5th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Very interesting article Dr. Neelam. I like the part how it connects self-esteem with emotional quotient.

Do you have any specific studies regarding this article? They will just be an icing on the cake.

Thanks Sumit.
Basically my research area is Experimental/Physiological, not social. But yea I ve done one research paper in EI, and that was a study of relationship among Self-Esteem, EI, and Alienation. And found them (EI & Self-Esteem) positively correlated.
Rest while writing this article here at Jatland, I consciously tried to keep at very basic level, to suit the interest of layman; thats why didn't quote references and studies.

neels
February 5th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Well, I dont know if ur aware of it or not Neels.....that we've one fellow Jatlander who's done Phd in EQ & even published a book on EQ too!!

His name is Dr. Vinod Sanwal.....he was very active member earlier but nowdays missing here...u guys can get in touch with him!!

just click this link for more info about this great Jat : http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6816

Rock on
Jit

Thanks Jit , It was good to know about Dr Sarwal, and his research interests. I came to know about him from someone else also yesterday only.
Hmmm... the man has mastery over the subject (EQ).

kiran.takhar
February 8th, 2007, 05:09 PM
very interesting and useful article neelam
add some more!

kiran

neels
March 26th, 2007, 06:15 PM
IQ, EQ & SQ

For long, the world gave much importance to Intelligence Quotient. In mid-1990s, findings in neuroscience and psychology stressed the importance of Emotional Quotient (EQ). Last year, however, a new dimension to human intelligence was introduced, i.e. Spiritual Quotient (or SQ). Spiritual intelligence is the ultimate intelligence. This is the intelligence used to solve problems of meaning and value. "Is my job giving me the fulfillment I seek?" "Am I relating to the people in my life in a way that contributes to their happiness and mine?" Answers to these questions determine whether we will find happiness or not. IQ and EQ are inadequate in such issues.

On a spiritual note, EQ involves freeing ourselves from our own emotional baggage and the conditioning of our early life and the expectations of others. Such shedding of 'stuff' is a prerequisite of any spiritual journey. Because then only we become aware of ourselves, and 'why' of the feelings and needs of others. Also, it helps realizing those values which we had heard about—like acceptance and unconditional love.

Spiritual Intelligence is about compassion and creativity, self-awareness and self-esteem, flexibility and gratitude. Thus what were once espoused by the great philosophers of the likes of Swami Vivekananda are once again being exhorted by the modern day corporate world.

SQ is about the growth of a human being. It is about moving on in life. About having a direction in life and being able to heal ourselves of all the resentment we carry. It is thinking of ourselves as an expression of a higher reality. It is also about how we look at the resources available to us. We realize that nature is not meant to be exploited. Ultimately, we discover freedom from our sense of limitation as human beings and attain "moksha".

SQ is about pondering over life's purpose. Just being in touch with that question is fulfilling. As we move along the path, deeper levels of self get unfolded, leading to fulfillment. Humans are essentially spiritual beings, evolved to ask fundamental questions. "Who am I?" "Where am I going?" "What do others mean to me?" It is an ability to answer questions like these that lead people to personal growth workshops.

Spiritual intelligence also addresses the need to place one's life in a shared context of value. The transformative power of SQ distinguishes it from IQ and EQ. IQ primarily solves logical problems. EQ allows us to judge the situation we are in and behave appropriately. SQ allows us to ask if we want to be in that situation in the first place. It might motivate us to create a new one.

SQ has little connection to formal religion. Atheists and humanists may have high SQ while someone actively religious may not. It’s more concerned about the humanist point of view. Of course, this is culture specific, with Westerners responding to ideas of 'God' and Buddhists and Hindus responding to certain symbols.

The awakening of our spiritual intelligence may be a time of great joy and meaning and may pave a way for personal growth and a feeling of being in control. We use spiritual intelligence to transform ourselves and others, heal relationship, cope with grief, and move beyond conditioned habits of the past. To develop high SQ, each person needs to approach the task according to his/her personality.

cooljat
March 26th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Hey Neels,
very gud info about SQ, well for the first time Im hearin about SQ!!
but indeed very useful info...thanks a ton for sharing.

keep posting

Rock on
Jit

harsha
March 28th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Hi Dr.Neelam,

Really very good and thought provoking article.Thanks for sharing this with us.
While reading this I was comparing EQ and SQ and still I believe that EQ carries far more points than IQ and SQ .I feel that EQ is pillar of succesfull life as it keeps a balance between intelligence + emotions where as it needs lots of patience and experince in life to attain a SQ.
And it was good to know the aspects realted to all three of them.As now we can improve ourself on these points and can improve our life accordingly.

I also agree that these type of topics should also be made part of school or colleges curriculum so that we can nurture these thoughts in young minds from starting itself.

Looking forward for some more articles on this topic.:)

Thanks,
Harsha

arundagar
April 6th, 2007, 11:11 AM
I am no master but just read the book "Emotional Intelligence- why it can matter more than IQ" by Daniel Goleman. A good book to read indeed!

rsdalal
April 7th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Nice thread, Thanks for posting ...

neels
April 7th, 2007, 07:03 PM
I am no master but just read the book "Emotional Intelligence- why it can matter more than IQ" by Daniel Goleman. A good book to read indeed!
Yes you are right Mr Dagar, it is Daniel Goleman who coined the concept of Emotional Intelligence. He agued that EQ was the basic requirement for the use of IQ. If the areas of our brain that feel are damaged, our ability to think effcetively is diminshed.

scsheorayan
April 8th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Good subject Neelam and very relevant in modern jat society. Please see previous threads on this topic e.g.

http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1262&highlight=Emotional+Intelligence

http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4625&highlight=what+makes+you+angry

Now a days EQ is receiving greater attention in management issues. Not surprised that some people can manage life better than others. There is a great lesson for all to learn. IQ,EQ,SQ are just attempts at measuring certain tendencies in humans. Who knows to-morrow there may be new scales of measurement. What Geeta tells us is that understanding human mind is almost impossible, the reason being that the means by which we try to understand the mind is also a mind with it's own limitations. That is one of the reasons why superstition has received acceptance in our society. It is too hard to accept our limitations and achieve lofty goals in life. In the search for happiness we tend to grab on things which we like and avoid things which we dislike. Those who can narrow down the gap between likes,dislikes and their duty are usually contended ones. Happiness in itself can not be a destination but is experienced in the journey of life by those who concentrate on making their contributions to making the world a better place to live. Unfortunately masses are easily misled by self proclaimed Gurus who compete with each other in attracting followers.The results is strife in every sphere of life and struggle to find peace. Peace is a prerequisite for progress in any sphere, whether it is emotional, intelligence or spiritual.

neels
April 8th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Good subject Neelam and very relevant in modern jat society. Please see previous threads on this topic e.g.

http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1262&highlight=Emotional+Intelligence

http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4625&highlight=what+makes+you+angry

Happiness in itself can not be a destination but is experienced in the journey of life by those who concentrate on making their contributions to making the world a better place to live. The results is strife in every sphere of life and struggle to find peace. Peace is a prerequisite for progress in any sphere, whether it is emotional, intelligence or spiritual.

Thanks a lot Mr Sheorayan for the word of encouragement and the links which led to the important relevant information about the topic,, and splly for these lines of essence which I ve now quoted in bold.

scsheorayan
April 9th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Dear Neelam, it is a pleasure to read such meaningful posts from young jats. Another young person Dr. Vinod is also very active in this field. He is also a member of Jatland. Keep up good work and help make this world a better place for all.