PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions

rajeshrathee
February 16th, 2007, 08:19 PM
In order to reduce the space crunch on Jatland. I have some suggestions to be made to Jatland administration team. The evaluations and inputs from the members will be appretiated.

1. Instead of allowing any member to start a birthday thread, we should have a separate forum for birthdays etc where the system automatically generates a thread for the active members only, whose birthday falls on that day with a greeting from Jatland and then the users may be allowed to put their wishes and same should be taken off after one month. It would ensure equality among all the members.

2. I have seen whenever there is a thread in discussion, many members are in habit of highlighting the whole context with their remarks (usually 1/2 words or lines) thus taking a lot of space. So from now onward whenever a members highlights a particular portions, only a link specifying that particular input should appear, in the reply.

3. there has been a lot of discussions in the past regarding actions of the moderators etc so I suggest ;- Rules related to "what is expected from the users and possible actions by moderators" related to the threads may be formulated and posted on the site and whenever an action is taken, it should be taken by referring the concerned rules.

vijay
February 16th, 2007, 09:05 PM
1. Instead of allowing any member to start a birthday thread, we should have a separate forum for birthdays etc where the system automatically generates a thread for the active members only, whose birthday falls on that day with a greeting from Jatland and then the users may be allowed to put their wishes and same should be taken off after one month. It would ensure equality among all the members.

Rightly said Rajesh Bhai, i think this is not a gud practice to start HAPPY BIRTH DAY thread almost everyday as there are more than 5000 members of Jatland and i suppose that on all the 365 days of the year, there is B'day of one or more jatland members. If members want to wish them they can wish them in PMs or via e-mail.

dndeswal
February 16th, 2007, 10:38 PM

Thanks, Rajesh Bhai, for raising this matter. Traditionally, we Jats have been celebrating birthdays of great men and not of ourselves. This has never been a Jat tradition. I have myself been against this tendency of putting such threads, something which can best be conveyed through e-mails or PMs. I had posted a typical Tau’s comments (a self-composed poem) on this issue but hesitate to repeat it here.

At least old threads of this nature need to be deleted. Once this kind of personal event is over, there is no point in keeping the material on the site. Let the concerned member save the web-page for him.

Not only others’ birthdays, some have put threads for one’s own “wedding anniversary”. One example :

“I am pleased to share that aaj se theek ___ saal pehle ______ ko hum dono (me & my wife) shadi ke bandhan main bandhe the, yani ke aaj meri wedding anniversary hai. Seeking blessings and good wishes from all the jatlanders.”

LONG LIVE JATLAND !

vijay
February 16th, 2007, 11:45 PM
If any person have so much respect and love for his/her bebe, why can't he/she call her and tell her about his/her feelings.
Why this show off business at jatland ?

desijat
February 17th, 2007, 02:37 AM
We can have threads for people whom we dont know... praising those whom we have not even met....

But not for those whom we know and who are near and dear to us... Quite Strange and quite an Irony....

dndeswal
February 17th, 2007, 03:01 AM
[quote=desijat;131993]We can have threads for people whom we dont know... praising those whom we have not even met....

quote]

Alright Vikas, the idea is not bad. But what, if you write a thread for someone whom you do not know - and that member not even makes a login at the site for many months? It has happened. See this : happy birthday to sid ahlawat (http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18551) .

kharub
February 17th, 2007, 03:17 AM
these birthday bashes and all used to be very Punjabi & baniya business .. looks like we Jats have also been sucked into this ......

Its polite to wish somebody Happy Birthday if you know its their birthsday via a PM or an e-mail (i do this sometimes) ....

But lets not make a big deal about birthdays and anniversaries here on Jatland ... we can utilise this space in much better way .. or like Rathee bhai said .. everybody should get the same treatment

rajeshrathee
February 17th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Sir

Please give your inputs regardig other two suggestions also

rajesh

Samarkadian
February 17th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Its indeed a nice place to make Jatland worthy to community.Here goes some advices:-
1.Bringing Unsung heroes close to us,so that we can pay back a little by felicitating their contribution by recognising their efforts,condition of their family.Eg All Matrydom of wars,Artists(Pioneer Singers,sang artists).It will be a encouarging act as well for coming gen of community
2.To create a "Must Visit section" where every Jatlanders can contribute a little or atleast know.
3.A helpline or counselling section where both, members,visitors and Aam aadmi feel connected to Jatland.
4. And ofcourse,praising an act or an any person for his/her efforts without a biased mind.
5.Best Post of the month award would be a encouraging start.

desijat
February 17th, 2007, 03:15 PM
4. And ofcourse,praising an act or an any person for his/her efforts without a biased mind.
5.Best Post of the month award would be a encouraging start.

Bhai

4th Point is cant be activated and people put forward thr Ego before anything Else

And 5th point if implemented then would result in something that we saw with Shayari Competition happening.... Not saying who was right and who was wrong.... but i dont think it would happen fairly

dndeswal
February 17th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Sir

Please give your inputs regardig other two suggestions also

rajesh

Regarding highlighting of text, Rajesh, your point is alright. I myself do not highlight the large text.

Actions by Moderators: Today, Moderators are really overburdened and I myself feel pity for them. It is a selfless service. They are doing good jobs but not enough appreciation from members. If there is any slight lapse, lot of accusations ! Simply making more rules may not solve the problems. Members also should use their talent and wisdom to decide what is wrong or right. Some members unfortunately seem intolerant on petty issues. On my first post above, I quoted some text from a thread, without naming, highlighting or hyperlinking. The concerned member wrote back to moderators, quoting "objection" and that portion had to be removed. Is it the fault of moderators or members? We need more maturity and commonsense and think twice before blaming other fellow members or the moderators. If we are habitual of criticizing others, we should also be tolerant to accept criticism from others.

The registration process needs some changes. Sometimes we are unable to guess from a member's profile whether it is a 'he' or 'she' ! One member’s profile name (not username) appears as “noorchaudhary (http://www.jatland.com/forums/member.php?u=9081)” – what will you guess – ‘he’ or ‘she’ ? Changing a photo may be acceptable, but is it proper on the part of some members to change their profile name like changing dresses? This should not be permissible – only administrators should have the authority to change profile names upon request. Writing date of birth should be mandatory, not optional – although member should make a choice whether it should be visible to others or not.

The registration proforma may perhaps look like this:

1. Your full Name (first name AND last name)
(You will not be allowed to change the name after registration. This can be done by Administrators upon written request)

2. Sex : Male/ Female

3. Date of Birth (Compulsory - do not leave this column blank)

Day
Month
Year

Do you want your age and date of birth to be visible to other members? : Yes /No

4. Location (Where you live (city, state, country) -Mandatory - this cannot be left blank. You may make changes later on.

5. Your phone No. (optional)

6. Your occupation (optional)

VPannu
February 17th, 2007, 08:59 PM
First of all, I dont think that there is in any harm in Birthday wish post.
Reasons:
*an average birthday wish thread is not more than 30 posts in any case. It only contains simple plain text.It doesnt consume much space.
*if you think that there should be a thread for everyone's birthday then why dont you go for it? Who is stopping you? Its much better than posting any idiotic post and above all it will certainly bring some amount of happiness to the birthday boy/girl and Kharub bhai birthday to birthday hai, chaahe wo baniya ho yaa JAT.Its upto you to post in the thread or wish via PM.

we are unable to guess from a member's profile whether it is a 'he' or 'she' ! One member’s profile name (not username) appears as “noorchaudhary (http://www.jatland.com/forums/member.php?u=9081)” – what will you guess – ‘he’ or ‘she’ ?
But why should we bother about gender of any member? Is it any of our business? If anyone doesnt want to reveal his/her personal details such as gender, age, location then let it be.
Remember, Work smarter not harder. What I mean to say is that instead of worrying about space crunch just click on the advertisements before you logon. That might be helpful in generating some revenue for the upkeep of website, that is why they have been put there for.

dndeswal
February 17th, 2007, 11:16 PM
[quote=vivekpannu;132032]

But why should we bother about gender of any member? Is it any of our business? If anyone doesnt want to reveal his/her personal details such as gender, age, location then let it be.
quote]

Yaar Vivek, ye to koyi baat nahin huyi. This Jatland forum is like an open chaupal. If somebody walks into it, others have a right to know whether it is a 'he' or 'she'. One day or the other, fingers would be pointed to such a question if the member becomes active. If someone does not want to tell anything about oneself, let him not become a member at all.

All Active Members are known to each other by their profiles and we all know who is 'he' and who is 'she'. Members like 'noorchaudhary' have zero posts and even do not make a login, hence they are in oblivion and are unnoticed.

desijat
February 17th, 2007, 11:28 PM
On a serious note... Deswal uncle we can have an option for people who are neither male nor female. They deserve a place too.

vijay
February 18th, 2007, 12:29 AM

What you think Vivek ? Is Jatland a site for bogus people who just register themselves here with fake ids and we should take that easy and accept them.

It's not a dating site where ppl hide their real identity behind some psudo names. Nobody is asking about personal information like age or contact numbers but at least they must clarify that they are Jats and and male/female ........... nothing bad about this info.

And believe me Vivek if a person wants to hide about his/her gender that's not healthy for jatland by any means.

Every male feels proud to be a male and in the same manner every female feels proud to be a female here than why ppl hide their gender.

What's the matter ?

rsdalal
February 18th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Good suggestion Rajesh Bhai....

VPannu
February 18th, 2007, 11:02 AM
First of all I would like to deal with the 'noorchaudhary' case. DNDji , this member has been dormant for a considerable period of time and I believe he/she has never been involved in any kind of controversy. If he/she is just browsing the site then why are we bothering so much?

What you think Vivek ? Is Jatland a site for bogus people who just register themselves here with fake ids and we should take that easy and accept them.
VJ, whats the big deal if a member doesnt disclose his/her personal? Raat ko neend nahi aayegi kya agar ye pata nahi chala ki member male hai ya female. I dont think that it bears any importance. You tell me, why should anyone be obliged to disclose his/her gender to you? As long as a member is just browsing the site it doesnt matter but if you encounter such a member in Chaupal then you can ask about these details.

It's not a dating site where ppl hide their real identity behind some psudo names.
Who told you that people hide their ids on dating site? Can you hook up with anyone if you dont reveal your sex and age? Bro, these details are mandatory on any dating site. Moreover, if any member is found masquerading then simply ban him/her.Females have a tendency of being prudent while disclosing their identity. There had been several incidents of various types on internet which make a person think twice before he/she shares such things with others unless it becomes mandatory.

rameshlakra
February 18th, 2007, 11:14 AM
A very valied suggestion Rajesh ji, which makes jatland more lean-mean without these unwanted threads.

regards,

rajeshrathee
February 20th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Still waiting for Administrators opinion?

skarmveer
February 22nd, 2007, 12:37 PM
Good Things will add when ever required and Full details of every memver must be in record wheather its open for everybody or not. In my openion we
provide details like Real Name with Gotra, Gender, Date of birth, Location and occupation and if possible Native Place also.

Regards