PDA

View Full Version : autism

ritu
February 19th, 2007, 08:44 PM
I have never heard this word untill two of my friends kids r diagnosed with this.one of them is in india and other one here.
autism is a developmental disorder .autistic children are not able to connect to the outside world.they remain aloof and resistant to any changes.its very hard to bring up a autistic child.but what i learnt from my friend is if u get to know about this early u can do a lot.In america state pays for the therapy of these kind of developmental disorders.my friend in india could not get the diagnosis of autism in her child early and went from doctor to doctor.one doctor told tht her son has a thyroid disease and gave him medications to treat the thyroid which only made his symptoms worse.finally some other doctor gave them the right diagnosis and by that time her son has turned five .
common symptoms od autistic children are
no or very less verbal communication even after their second bithday
2autistic children hesitate to make eye contact
3they do some activities very repitatively like flapping their hands, rocking
most important thing is the early diagnosis.
most of the autistic children r very bright acaedemically.they r very intelligent.only lacking the social skills.there r many movies on autistic persons.i heard even albert einstein was also autistic.

misguidedyouth
March 8th, 2007, 03:24 AM
I have never heard this word untill two of my friends kids r diagnosed with this.one of them is in india and other one here.
autism is a developmental disorder .autistic children are not able to connect to the outside world.they remain aloof and resistant to any changes.its very hard to bring up a autistic child.but what i learnt from my friend is if u get to know about this early u can do a lot.In america state pays for the therapy of these kind of developmental disorders.my friend in india could not get the diagnosis of autism in her child early and went from doctor to doctor.one doctor told tht her son has a thyroid disease and gave him medications to treat the thyroid which only made his symptoms worse.finally some other doctor gave them the right diagnosis and by that time her son has turned five .
common symptoms od autistic children are
no or very less verbal communication even after their second bithday
2autistic children hesitate to make eye contact
3they do some activities very repitatively like flapping their hands, rocking
most important thing is the early diagnosis.
most of the autistic children r very bright acaedemically.they r very intelligent.only lacking the social skills.there r many movies on autistic persons.i heard even albert einstein was also autistic.

ritu.. one of my frnd is working wid down sydrome n autism kids, she is working in kohima civil hospital (naga hospital) n now going to open a school 4 such kids.
she usually comes to me 4 computer n internet help........... if u can provide any guidelines 4 her... i'll b thankful 2 u.

ritu
March 8th, 2007, 04:21 AM
ravinder I do not know much except what i have seen in these friends kids and what these friends told me about the disorder.there is a range for the degree of autism.some kids r at borderline and can be absolutely normal with therapy.she can get some info from the internet.there r several sites
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/autism/detail_autism.htm (http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/autism/detail_autism.htm)
ritu.. one of my frnd is working wid down sydrome n autism kids, she is working in kohima civil hospital (naga hospital) n now going to open a school 4 such kids.
she usually comes to me 4 computer n internet help........... if u can provide any guidelines 4 her... i'll b thankful 2 u.

ravichaud
April 29th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Hello Ritu,

All of the things you are saying about autism are exactly correct. My son, Krishan, was diagnosed with Autism when he was 18 months. It happened right about the same time I was deployed in the USAF. I say this because major life changes sometimes trigger symptoms.

We have attacked autism at every angle since then. From the traditional speech and occupational therapy to complex floortime methods, extensive dietary restrictions, and sports. I've attended formal training to apply these methods with my wife, who also has applied direct therapy. However, we've had to make sure we remain parents as well.

Collectively, all methods have had a tremendous impact and we feel that Krishan's hard work has allowed him to overcome this challenge. He's a very brave kid. I'm convinced that some cases of autism can be reversed if early intervention is applied. However, more severe cases can be almost impossible to reverse.

It's also a blessing that my wife, Uma, is a speech pathologist and has secured the right path for him. Krishan now attends a regular kindergarten class, and is able to socialize appropriately, as well as amaze his teachers with his extremely bright intellect (at 5, he's memorized every country in the world). But it has been a long road for us as a family, with many obstacles still ahead.

Great to see you start this amazing threat. If you are every passing through NJ, do not hesisate to contact us. We'd love to meet you.
sincerely
Ravi, Uma Krishan (6) and Nina (2)
Chaudhary
McGuire AFB, New Jersey