PDA

View Full Version : Men in Blue: Greg Chappell and Long Run:

raj2rif
March 31st, 2007, 12:34 AM
Dear Members,

http://blogs.cricinfo.com/meninwhite/archives/2007/03/greg_chappell_and_the_long_run.php#more

Please read this article. I think Mr. Mukul Kesavan has brought out some real good issues based on the press conference answers by Mr. Greg Chappell after India's loss to Sri Lanka in the world cup.

It is not only interesting but also thougth provoking for those who love the game of Cricket.

Kindly post your views on the answers by the Coach. I think one should be brave enough to assume the responsibilities. Mr. Chappell looked to me as a person who seems to be Chickened out. If that be true, I don't think we need him any more.

kabir
April 1st, 2007, 01:54 AM
Dear Members,

http://blogs.cricinfo.com/meninwhite/archives/2007/03/greg_chappell_and_the_long_run.php#more

Please read this article. I think Mr. Mukul Kesavan has brought out some real good issues based on the press conference answers by Mr. Greg Chappell after India's loss to Sri Lanka in the world cup.

It is not only interesting but also thougth provoking for those who love the game of Cricket.

Kindly post your views on the answers by the Coach. I think one should be brave enough to assume the responsibilities. Mr. Chappell looked to me as a person who seems to be Chickened out. If that be true, I don't think we need him any more.

Chappell did assume the responsiblity for the debacle. Didn't he? But why should he take more than his fair share of the responsibilty? He was quite right when he said it was a ''collective responsiblity''.

His month-old SMS, which if at all is his, to a journalist clearly shows that he was not satisfied with the team. Alright, it could be understood that the players he was seeking to fit in the squad were not good enough to earn us the Cup but lets not forget that his much-flayed ''process'' was not implemented in toto.

It is easy to indict Chappell/ Dravid -- the obvious-- but why leave alone the evil behind the scene -- the administrators?

All this while the BCCI was minting billions and I m talking in terms of US dollars but what did they give back to the game? Where's the structure? Where are the lively pitches? (forget about it. Murali, a spinner undid us in WC) All gas, no substance. All we have is more and more matches - Kuala Lumpur, Abu Dhabi, Ireland and where not.

In my view, Chappell was the best man for the job. But seems even the best was not nearly good enough.

Anyway, high time we should stop glorifying cricketers every time they win and crucifying them when they lose. For it is just a game.

satyeshwar
April 2nd, 2007, 03:25 AM
In my opinion, Chappell's not the only one to be blamed. Afterall, it wasn't him playing the matches. Coach can only do so much for a team. People are mad about his experimenting ways or the fact that he got rid of Ganguly. Seems like a year ago, those same experiements were yielding perfect results and no one was complaining. About Ganguly, look how well he has played recently. All I can think of is that when players know that their positions are not in any jeopardy, they tend to lose that cutting edge. Sehwag had to come back and prove himself as well and he has done quite okay for now.

Lastly, the problem is not with one person, be it coach, captain or a key individual of the team. Just look at Pakistan, they did not have Chappell as their coach or Dravid as their captain and they played an even more uninspiring game in this world cup. No, the problem is with the entire structure of Indian first class cricket. Until that is improved, we cannot expect to win any games! It's natural to find a scapegoat and blame everything on them but it would be prudent to find the real problem!

yatinder19
April 3rd, 2007, 02:54 PM
The crisis in the Indian cricket team appears to be far worse than earlier believed. Sources close to coach Greg Chappell have told NDTV that he is particularly angry at the senior players and the selectors.
The source said that the coach believed that the biggest problem was that senior players operate like a mafia. They "hammer" and "abuse" them because they feel threatened by the junior players and don't give them a chance.

gsvijay1
April 3rd, 2007, 03:53 PM
Check this link

http://www.ibnlive.com/videos/37608/village-in-haryana-bans-cricket.html

yatinder19
April 4th, 2007, 02:10 PM
“ I have given my heart and my soul for 17 years. No coach had mentioned even in passing that my attitude was not correct. Cricket has been my life for all these years and will always be ”

- Sachin Tendulkar

gsvijay1
April 4th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Check following link, our cricketers, including Sachin, fail to delivery outside India. I personally feel that its time for Sachin to retire.

http://content-www.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/288746.html

yatinder19
April 4th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Agree with you,sachin should retire now...
He was like king in cricket,if he retire now he will known as legend otherwise he will be ordinary with ordinary performance

yatinder19
April 4th, 2007, 06:36 PM
In view of India's disastrous WC campaign leading to an undeclared war of words with 'Seniors', Greg Chappell has resigned as coach of the Indian team...
Is it good for indian cricket or Is it last nail in the coffin for indian cricket...

kabir
April 4th, 2007, 09:00 PM
In view of India's disastrous WC campaign leading to an undeclared war of words with 'Seniors', Greg Chappell has resigned as coach of the Indian team...
Is it good for indian cricket or Is it last nail in the coffin for indian cricket...

I don't know how to react to it. They were all baying for his head. Now that they got it, what next?

I admire Sachin a lot (worshipped him at one time) but time has come for him to call it quits, at least from ODIs. (He may even assume the role of Team India coach now that Greg Chappell ahs decided not to seek an extension. Sachin's remarks in TOI seems to suggest he know a thing or two about coaching?) Don't drag yourself, great man. Exit gracefully.

yatinder19
April 5th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Sachin know how to play with the emotions of the people...Thats why he came in front of media and said his mind...For 17 years he never needs to come as his bat was speaking but now he needs to tell his stand.

raj2rif
April 7th, 2007, 05:30 PM
The famous BCCI meeting is over. I don't see any thing concerete coming out of it. All intrim measures and half hearted attempt. Scrapping the players contract and restrictions on endorsements may be one thing that would shake up some of the big money earners a little bit. But then it would be incorrect on part of the board to restricts players to spent time for advertisements since they no longer on the contract payment option.

Appointing Ravi Shastri as manager is a good step. He has been a shrewed cricketer and have some good strategic brain. I think along with Ravi Shastri, Kapil Dev should also be roped in to improve the state of affairs. Shastri should be given more powers. I don't know with the differences between players and the captain being unearthed, how would it be possible to retain Dravid as Captain. I think we may have to change the composition of the team or the Captain.

I also feel, that Sr, or Jr, system must be scrapped. Some one who makes it to team should be treated equal, whether he is playing his first test or 100th Test, since the runs they score, catches they take, runs they save and wicket they take in the match have equal impact on teams winning or loosing.

yatinder19
April 9th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Agree with you sir,There should not be any senior - junior issue in the team...All are equal and its performance that matters...Ravi Shastri is new Manager.He does not have the stature of Greg Chappel...So its still a question wheather players like ganguly,tendulkar,dravid,sehwag will follow his advise....

raj2rif
April 9th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Agree with you sir,There should not be any senior - junior issue in the team...All are equal and its performance that matters...Ravi Shastri is new Manager.He does not have the stature of Greg Chappel...So its still a question wheather players like ganguly,tendulkar,dravid,sehwag will follow his advise....

Dear Mr. Yatinder,

I agree with you that Shastri does not have the stature of Greg Chappell, but I know for sure that he is a deep thinker and a good strategist of the game.

I admire him for the hard work he put in to achieve what he actually did. He started as # 10 or 11 batsman and finished as an opener and scored number of centuries. He was considered a slow grafter of innings yet, he was champion of champions in one day world championship in 1984-85.

Since he himself worked his way up the ladder purely due to hard work, I guess, he should be able to get it done by players. Normally, best players are not always are the best coaches. We have a proof in Dav Whatmore, who was a mediocre player having played only 7 tests. He coached Sri Lanka to win the World Cup and doing an excellent job with Bangladesh now.

Among the former Indian Players, probably he is my first choice followed by Kapil Dev. I think Kapil Dev to be the bowling coach along with Bedi/Prassanna. Robin Singh is a good choice for fielding. We need some one to take care of batting for which my vote would be for Sanjay Manjrekar and Gundappa Vishwanath.

yatinder19
April 10th, 2007, 10:48 AM
You are correct sir,Dav Whatmore has got no record experience and he made srilanka win the world cup.But you missed one thing,In 1996 there was hardly any star player(except if u say de-silva or ranatunga to some extent),so he was able to bind them as team.And after winning world cup there started problems between coach and newly star players..And finally Dav has to resign..Similarly there is no star player in bangladesh,so they are following his advice and returning good results...But in case of india scenario is different.We worship players.We cant take if coach say anything to sachin,ganguly,sehwaag etc etc.And when coach has not excellent record to back him,then he will be down in confidance.This is applicable everywhere.I have seen if teacher in the class is not smart and intelligent then usually he dont have control of the class.
Let me give you example...Madanlal is regular entry on AAjTAK to talk about cricket.last to last year he was coach of Delhi team.Delhi played so badly and lost mostly matches and was under pressure for removal from elite divison.The only success for Madanlal was that he was able to make his son Kunaal Lal played for delhi and he was not deserving but still he played bcoz of his father...So this is story of most of the indian coaches..
Ravi Shastri and Gavaskar they talk so much abt cricket and abt other countries but after world cup debacle they havent said any single thing abt BCCI and Indian cricketers bcoz they r frm mumbai n sharad pawar n sachin r frm mumbai..n May be they r eyeing fruitful jobs under BCCI...
Kapil dev was on NDTV..He gave very balanced views and very diplomatically handled the subjects..Why he talkd like this????If he want good for indian cricket he Should say correct things rather than things which looks correct...
Except frm Gavaskar there was not a single cricketer who retired frm cricket in dignified way..wheather its kapil dev or ravi shastri or manjrekar...all r like that..they r after money....

netrapalsingh
April 10th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Kya koi bataye ga koi bhee team bagar coach ke kyo nahi khel saktee? Koach ka kya kam hota hai? Greg ne Indian team me kya sudhar kiya? Shastri se kya umeed hai? Kapildev ne kya kiya? Aaj har koi apne view de raha hai circket ke bare me par mere in prashno ka jawab dega koi...?

Aaj sab ek hee cheej chahte hai Paisa or wo hee ho raha hai khiladee kama rahe hai BCCI kama raha hai, Prayojak kama rahe hai, commentry karne wale
expert cricketoar vibhinn channelo par kama rahe hai. Kya aap mante hai
expert sahee bat bolenge. aap to coach kee bat kar rahe hai usne bhee paisa banaya hai maidan me computer le kar sare match ko copy kiya hai khiladiyo ko dikhaya hai or e-mail se sab jagah bat kee hai. or kya kiya hai
aaj hamare khiladiyo kee chahe wo sachin ho ya viroo sab kee ek kamjoree hai wo hai andar atee hooyee ball, coach ne usme kya sudhar kiya?

Indian cricket ka beda garg hona tha ho gaya. Sab kahte hai lat maoro shehwag ke, sachin ke, sabke nai team bano kaha hai khiladee aap ke paas
aphee ek bhai ne kaha hai mandan lal ka ladka delhi ranji me khela jab kee wah kabil hee nahi hai to aise sifarishi khiladi sab jagah hai aap unse kya umeed rakh sakte hai?

Indian cricket kapil dev ke bad hee khatam ho gaya tha, or sachin kay mumbai walo se to mujhe kabhee bhee umeed nahi thee, or n ab hai.

netra......