PDA

View Full Version : Mumbai: A City of Contradictions

nmalik121
May 7th, 2007, 03:17 PM
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/3569/bussh9.jpg
I have completed my one and half year in Mumbai. Before coming to Mumbai, I had heard a lot about this dream city (of course both -ve and +ve things). I had certain expectations from this city as well certain apprehensions that actually exist in this part of world. Few of them have got confirmed, and few others shattered. Personally an evolving experience, just sharing them with all my friends at Jatland.

Extremely Crowded: No prize for guessing, that Mumbai is a very-2 crowded city. Or I must say a frustratingly crowded city. I found visiting famous beach of Mumbai a good idea of getting rid of this crowd, but alas, even the beaches are attacked by countless numbers of people (seemed they were also there for the same purpose).

Time is Money: Utilizing time is a problem for you? Learn it from mumbaikars. Here, Time means money. In other parts of the world, especially Delhi, people will prefer to give their 20 minutes instead of 20 rupees. Here, Time scores over everything. Every one is hopelessly professional. This funda of "Time is Money" applies to every class of society here from high-profile corporate executive to our popular Dabbawallahs.

Biggest Strength of Mumbai, Its People: I have lived in Punjab, Haryana, U.P., Delhi, and Gujarat, but mumbaikars are the most cooperative, helpful and receptive people when it comes to one-to one interaction in the society. It is more important since they are living in a very-2 tough city, a city that never sleeps.

Nonstop Mad Run: Mumbai is on the move, literally true. The sense of hurry or say urgency is always in the air. Though, in this respect, Delhi is also not far behind. However for someone like me, who comes from a very small village in Haryana, it can feel awkward. I got habitual to this mad chase in Delhi itself so it really didn’t bother me much.

Mumbai Local: Known as the lifeline of Mumbai, its local trains are the one that helps this city move so fast in true sense. However, I must say that now, the system is falling apart. Local trains are just not trains; they are the backbone of city’s economic health. So, they need a re-look by the government.

Life is Too Cheap: Unfortunately, this is a city where I never feel safe. Especially, with the ever-increasing terror, a sense of insecurity is creeping in me. And this is happening not only with me, but every person who lives here, can sense that fear. I lived in Delhi for 6 years, moved in local trains as well as in badly managed DTC and Blue line buses (though here in Mumbai, BEST buses are better managed) but never felt threatened there though Delhi is also equally vulnerable city.

Poor Infrastructure: Unfortunately (I afraid I have to use this word several times while talking about Mumbai) people here are used to live a congested life. High rise buildings are coming-up without any proper planning. Open spaces are now history. Roads are dug incessantly and repair work goes on for years. Before coming to Mumbai, I have my own doubts about God’s existence but after watching this city functioning as it does is a strong proof that there is SOMEONE up there.

Too Pricey: Being the financial capital of India has its own pitfalls. More earning but equally extremely expensive city. A single tablet for headache is easily available in any other city but here you have to buy the complete pack of tablets. You can’t ask for quarter or half butter pack, only have to buy the full packet. There are so many things to pin-point the market mafia. Just ridiculous. It is official that Mumbai is a city that welcomes only rich people, not the poor ones.

Mumbai Spirit, A Myth: Mumbai spirit has become a sort of joke.And this is not a joke. Mumbai administration is the one that has misused this phrase to avoid the responsibility. No doubt that the mumbaikars are tough to crack but when your family members are killed on the roads, platforms, and the culprits gets scot-free, how can you expect them to keep their spirits soaring. Now, this phrase has become a laughing matter that mumbaikars will tolerate anything on the name of “MUMBAI SPIRIT”. God help us.

A Bright Future: For a financially secure future you need money, and Mumbai provides it in abundance. It provides you all the opportunities that you can believe only in fairy tales. No city in India comes near to Mumbai in that aspect. As we all know, money makes the world go, so Mumbai is the home for all the ambitious souls in the world.

Open Culture: People are open and accessible here professionally. Especially, the name culture (calling all your seniors or juniors by their name) makes lots of difference truly. Only someone who has worked in Delhi ’s beaurocratic corporate environment can feel the difference. I love my job and my helpful colleagues. Amit, Suman, Ankita, Deepak, Alvina, Shamshad and so many others have made it easier for me to work peacefully.

Rain: Most beautiful thing about this city is its RAIN. For me summers meant a very-2 tough time. In North India, rain is almost negligible as compared to Mumbai. You won’t believe but this summer has been the best summer of my life in terms of ambience, mood, physical comfort and so many other things that can’t be explained in adequate words. Within last 2 months, I fell in love with the city. Rain is now synonymous of Mumbai. Both are inseparable part. I can’t imagine Mumbai without rain.

Overall, I love rain and I love Mumbai. I won’t hesitate to say that rain has confirmed my belief that God compensates you in some or the other way for all that you may lack of. I know that I need to give myself more time to feel in tune with the city’s rhythm.

I hope I ll do it sooner than later.

shailendra
May 7th, 2007, 07:19 PM
...An awesome picture though, Nitin!
(The Bombay VT station I am guessing) either way that is simply such a cool example of Gothic/Colonial British architecture [with Hindu temple design influence] and details, at it's absolute best!

BTW, is the photograph an attachment from somewhere or you yourself took that amazing picture? if yes, great job!!!

nmalik121
May 7th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Thanks Shailendra, You are right, this pic is so captivating Truely amazing. I haven't taken this picture, took it from Flicker.

yatinder19
May 8th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Hi Nitin
U missed Dabbawalas...Bollywood...Riots...

nmalik121
May 8th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Well....I have mentioned Dabbahwallahs in my post and where as regarding the Bollywood and Riots.....honestly speaking......a common man in mumbai doesn't have to do anything with Bollywood at ground level. Outsiders think that average man of mumbai is very much near to Bollywood....it's just another myth like several others. Though living in same city, film stars and bollywood as a whole exist as altogether different world for a common mumbaikar who has to travel in local trains/Best buses and work hard to earn his/her living through thick and thin. And in my past one and half year, i haven't faced any riot threat. So no mention of riots. I give this credit to Mumbaites' raised level of harmony. Hale Mumbai......Hale Mumbaikars........:)

dahiyarules
May 8th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I once landed at the Mumbai International Airport. I was schocked. The ceilings were dripping and there were puddles of water on the floor. The airport was nothing better than the ISBT in Delhi. The immigration personnel were nasty. blah blah blah..........If thats what the airport is like, what would the city be like.

I drove through the city and it was just a mirror image of the airport.

In my opinion Delhi is the best city in India. It has all kind of places. I can just have an endless number of splendid evenings in Delhi. I am yet to see such a city elsewhere in the world.

sidchhikara
May 8th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Couple of years ago I was at the customs counter of IGI airport. A cat jumped in through the ventilator and found a nice spot where the tile had come out of the floor - did the customary dig out and took a dump - the foreign tourists were quick to snap a few pictures - they were happy because they were getting what they came for! Anyway, the custom officer then told the constable to go and shoo the cat away, the cat hung around anyways - maybe because it was cooler inside the airport.

Based on personal experience, the good thing about Delhi airport is that it is quicker than London Heathrow, JFK new york and EWR new jersey - when clearing customs and such - but it is in a pathetic shape and stinks.

gill7da
May 9th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Time is money and survival and thats why a nonstop mad run... life is too cramped and thats why one comes to witness how cheap it is .. else where too it is cheap but one just cannot figure it out from a distance. Its polite but has its frustrations.

If any one can answer what were the sins committed by mumbaites as a result of which they deserved such pathetic locals?

aabhisheksirohi
May 10th, 2007, 01:34 AM
Good stuff brother !!

Capture a lot on Mumbai in your 18 monts stay here ....
Hope you are enjoying your life, get ready for rain ..!!

sumeetmalik
May 14th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Great Stuff, Nitin. Quite an insight into Mumbai's life.

I know many people, especially from up north, find it difficult to digest that a Mumbaikar is the gentlest soul. I was shocked when in scorching sunlight an auto driver crossed the road to explain me the way. That was almost two years ago. I have fallen in love with its work culture and people since.

Mumbai has many shortcomings like failing to provide its people with hygiene and space. And touching the level of Shanghai is a wild dream. But I guess that's why you aptly called it a city of contradictions.

mamtadg
May 19th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Hi Nitin,
Quite colse to want mumbai is coz today i m seeing it throug ur outlook.But believe me i see other side of it which u did not mention.
By now i travelled across few places but MOST SAFEST PLACE FOR FEMALES is without doubts mumbai.At times i have left my office 10-11pm but i never felt insecure.
N yes RAIN................ ya its too beautiful............... but now i really petrify it coz i was also part of 26 july05....... but then wht u say spirit of mumbai .......... i saw it . it is there truly.

aabhisheksirohi
May 21st, 2007, 03:04 AM
But believe me i see other side of it which u did not mention.

Auuff... sab kuch bation likhi nahi jatii .. kuch to raaz hi rehne do pls...sab ko pata hai Mumbai jitni zameen se uppar hai utni hi zameen ke niche bhi hai ..

Btw Nitin Bro you miss out few points in your detailed explanation on Mumbai.

1) Local Mumbaiya language.
2) Influence of Shiv Sena .
3) Underworld nexus .

desijat
May 29th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Nonstop Mad Run: Mumbai is on the move, literally true. The sense of hurry or say urgency is always in the air. Though, in this respect, Delhi is also not far behind. However for someone like me, who comes from a very small village in Haryana, it can feel awkward. I got habitual to this mad chase in Delhi itself so it really didn’t bother me much.

Trust me this makes me hate mumbai like anything..... People move just like you see flock of sheeps moving together.

Open Culture: People are open and accessible here professionally. Especially, the name culture (calling all your seniors or juniors by their name) makes lots of difference truly. Only someone who has worked in Delhi ’s beaurocratic corporate environment can feel the difference. I love my job and my helpful colleagues. Amit, Suman, Ankita, Deepak, Alvina, Shamshad and so many others have made it easier for me to work peacefully. [/B]

Bro, dont know where did you work in Delhi that you came accross this culture. It is true to Govt office and limited till there, it depends more on HR Policy when it comes to calling your colleagues.

Being into public relations,I have worked with a lot of MNCs as my clients change, to name a few Ericsson and MasterCard, and at all the places people are called by their first names and not as sir and madams.

But really liked your picturisation of Mumbai, have been there thrice, was about to shift and allmost got all formalities done a couple of months back, but personally since i dont like that city very much i didnt shift....... Waiting to see Mumbai from your eye sometime .... to feel the difference

nmalik121
May 29th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Thankx for visting and a detailed comment...First thing is that i have tried to write this article in a very objective manner...becoz i love Delhi very muc and miss it too (i spent my precious 8 yeras there)...but whatever i have written, it is absed on true personal experienecs, and this applies to both cities....anyways...keep visting...keep commenting....keep in touch...:)