PDA

View Full Version : Laptop shutdowns automatically!

pnauhwar21
June 7th, 2007, 08:37 PM
My home HP laptop has weird problem. For no apparent reason, it shutdowns any time automatically..Initially I thought, it could be due to heating up, so now it has Cooling pad under it but still no result..it has Anti-virus installed already..when I run it, the system crashes in between somewhere..any clue whats going on friends? btw, it has Windows XP Service pack 2..

prayas
June 7th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Prashant, its a problem with battery and not OS. Get your batteries replaced.

I used to work for HP technical support 3-4 years back and this problem was very prominent at that time and HP had even recalled all its batteris for replacmeent to resolve this.

prayas
June 7th, 2007, 10:51 PM
call there 800 number mentioned in the manual, they will replace it for free if ur laptop us less then 1 year old. lemme know if u need any more help. prayas_chaudhary10@yahoo.com
Cheers!
Jai Hind!

arunshamli
June 7th, 2007, 11:04 PM
If you have set the automatic updates on, it may also restart your computer.

dahiyarules
June 7th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Its the memory chip or the motherboard my friend.

1. Remove the memory chip and plug it back in securely. Make sure that it is inserted properly. When you do this make sure that you are standing barefeet on a non-wooden floor. The static in your body could destroy your laptop for good.

95% time the above trick will fix your problem. If it does not work then you motherboard is damaged.

5% of the times it is the battery or some loose connection. Does the comptuer restart after it crashes?

Do this and tell me what happened.

aabhisheksirohi
June 9th, 2007, 12:54 AM
it shutdowns any time automatically..when I run it, the system crashes in between somewhere..any clue whats going on friends?

Brother!! these are the common symptons of Power issue in the machines.

For laptop the problem lies in yur laptop batteries. In case if it is Desktop PC then the problem lies in SMPS.

Replace your batteries and then try out...!! As one of the member already recommend the same here.

It cannot be memory issue as one of the member says here cuz if it be memory issue a blue screen will appear and shows the message of Physical Dump of memory !! Does the blue screen appers once the system crashes or it appears black screen? Pls confirm

It cannot not setting of automatic updates as one of the member says here cuz for automatic updates system gave restarts alert and specific time is mention in the alert box yur system will restart with say 5-10 sec (click ok to restart or klick postpone till say 15 minutes or 1 hour whatever it may be but one thing is sure it never crashes accidently in between !!

pnauhwar21
June 9th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the quick replies friends.. I will try out all the suggestions.. just a quick recap :

1) The system doesn't restart after shutting down. It just shuts off - No blue screen..Sometimes it remains on for even 2 days at stretch and some days will shutdown 4-5 times a day.

2) If the issues would be in battery, would it shutdown the system even when its connected to power source? If yes, I can try to remove the batteries and just keep it on direct power and check if I see the same behavior. Abhishek/Prayas - pls confirm..

3) Will try checking memory last as will need to open system for that..

Its almost 2.5yr. old so can't so no chance of getting warranty support :( though I did see some suggestions at HP site too ..will check them too..

thanks again..
Prashant

prayas
June 10th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Brother, I don't think you can turn on ur laptop with out battery. Battery is required to compelte the power circuit, it just wont start.

All the best.

aabhisheksirohi
June 10th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Brother, I don't think you can turn on ur laptop with out battery. Battery is required to compelte the power circuit, it just wont start.

All the best.

Brother!! It will work if you have it plugged in via the A/C adapter !!

Not all Laptops works like dat but some of them do have such facilities:)

Self is using my Dell Inspiron 6400 without batteries I used batteries of 6 cell only during travelling or if not at home :)

pnauhwar21
June 11th, 2007, 11:30 PM
I removed the battery and started the system just on a/c power. It worked fine for 1 day and shutdown down thrice next day..so bad battery is out of the equation now..will explore other things incl. memory as suggested by Sumit..