PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista & VPN

poonam
June 22nd, 2007, 03:46 AM
Well, I'm having trouble connecting VPN with Windows Vista. I could install VPN but when I try to connect it fails.
It works with Windows XP though.
Anyone with some ideas on troubleshooting?
Any help is apprecited.

mann123
June 22nd, 2007, 02:27 PM
Hi Poonam

I think you are using cisco VPN. Please try Windows VPN, it will resolve the problem.

Thanks
Virender M.

poonam
June 22nd, 2007, 07:55 PM
Thanks Virender.

Yep, I'm using Cisco VPN. Actually I work at Stanford and its available for the Stanford people to download.
Hows the deal with Windows VPN? Do I need to buy it or is it available to download for free?

Another concern, since this is to connect to my server at Stanford from home, dont know if Windows VPN will be allowed (they might need some license I guess). Didn't hear anyone at work using other than Cisco!

Well, lil' naive here...not a computer person per se...Any help is appreciated.

Hi Poonam

I think you are using cisco VPN. Please try Windows VPN, it will resolve the problem.

Thanks
Virender M.

sandeepmehla
June 22nd, 2007, 08:47 PM
Hi,

Download latest version VPN which supports windows Vista. You can download it from the following location (Griffith Univeristy Australia , it worked in my case)
http://www.griffith.edu.au/ins/wireless/support/content_vpn_software.html
It will work -
Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Sandeep

aabhisheksirohi
June 23rd, 2007, 10:44 AM
Well, I'm having trouble connecting VPN with Windows Vista. I could install VPN but when I try to connect it fails.
It works with Windows XP though.
Anyone with some ideas on troubleshooting?
Any help is apprecited.

Humm, Itz because you are using older version of Cisco VPN client (4.8.02.0010 ) which is compatiable for Windows XP.

Cisco has released new version of VPN client compatiable for Windows Vista (5.0.00.0340).

Its a common problem everyone faced who upgraded from XP to Vista.

Regarding trouble shooting may i know kinda error it throws when trying to connect, also which edition of Vista ur using?

poonam
June 23rd, 2007, 11:21 AM
Humm, Itz because you are using older version of Cisco VPN client (4.8.02.0010 ) which is compatiable for Windows XP.

Cisco has released new version of VPN client compatiable for Windows Vista (5.0.00.0340).

Its a common problem everyone faced who upgraded from XP to Vista.

Regarding trouble shooting may i know kinda error it throws when trying to connect, also which edition of Vista ur using?

Nope buddy! I'm using the new version only, 5.0.00.0340, totally compatible with Vista. Installing is not a problem. Even locating my work server ( with an IP address) is not a problem.

Only trouble is it cant connect and the message it shows is something like " a remote firewall is not allowing to connect"!!

Well, even I heard its a common problem with Vista but gotta solve it..
Lemme know if you can think of something. Thanks!

aabhisheksirohi
June 23rd, 2007, 10:35 PM
Only trouble is it cant connect and the message it shows is something like " a remote firewall is not allowing to connect"!!

Auuf... bit technical !!

It is because the network connection between your computer and VPN server could not be established due to one of the network devices like firewalls,NAT, Routers between your computer and remote server is not configured to allow VPN connections.

Contact ur ISP as it need some ports to be open at router/Firewall.They will create a rule allowing triggering port UDP 500 to input UDP 49260-49290. Need to open TCP 1723 and Gre 47 to allow VPN pass through.

BTW

1) Is IP address of VPN connector pingable?

2) Turnoff the Vista firewall,Windows Defender also turn off Antivirus McAffee, Norton, Skype , ZoneAlarm bla bla...!! in case it is install on yur machine and then try to set up VPN connection without firewall settings.

poonam
June 23rd, 2007, 11:10 PM
yeah, I'll try! I'm bugging the compu. person at work too, lets see..
But anyway, thanks!

mann123
June 29th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Hi Poonam

No there is no need to buy it, it is a function inbuilt. You just need to have the public IP of the server and need to confirm if the Windows VPN can access the server. No separate license is required but you rightly said the server may be set only for Cisco.

Anyway you can try to create to Windows VPN using
Network connections --> Select Connect to my workplace --> Virtual Private Network --> Type the name of the server and last specifying the IP.

It will take couple of minutes and will work if allowed by server policy.

if it doesn't resolve with both CISCO or Windows VPN it could be some harware interface problem as Windows Vista has with 90% hardware currently.

Wish you luck.

Thanks
Virender M.

Thanks Virender.

Yep, I'm using Cisco VPN. Actually I work at Stanford and its available for the Stanford people to download.
Hows the deal with Windows VPN? Do I need to buy it or is it available to download for free?

Another concern, since this is to connect to my server at Stanford from home, dont know if Windows VPN will be allowed (they might need some license I guess). Didn't hear anyone at work using other than Cisco!

Well, lil' naive here...not a computer person per se...Any help is appreciated.