PDA

View Full Version : New York

bls31
June 25th, 2007, 06:19 PM
I was in New York a few years back . Brig lakshman BLs

NEW YORK-

Impressions of an Indian

After a long uncomfortable and tedious flight from New Delhi to New York the Jumbo jet took a turn and banked sharply and my wife Rosy who was sitting on the window seat shouted there I can see New York. Her excitement was justified, not keeping too well she had still willingly born the discomforts of the flight to see her daughter.
With the carry bags of both of us on my shoulders, and pushing the luggage cart through miles and miles of the exit tunnel to the baggage collecting point, we were possibly the last to reach there. My daughter Kalpana (Kal ) and her husband Rick by now had more or less had given up the hope of seeing us and decided that we had possibly missed the flight. Of course, and as usual with me, our suitcases were the last to emerge on the luggage belt.
Thrilled and excited, all four of us, talking at the same time, stepped out of the airport in to a different world. Every thing itched so sharply, colours so bright, the sky deep blue the foliage of the trees deep green the multicolour facade of the houses of the Long Island. The traffic too orderly to my eyes after being used to the chaotic situation of Delhi
My first shock and impression of New York was that cars and cabs possibly have defective horns, or that horn was not an essential accessory in USA. I did not hear even one single beep from JFK to Rick and Kal’s apartment in Clermont Street.
The Sacura Park, just opposite the apartment, a place to sit and relax, to watch the world go by. The Riverside Church so overpowering both from out side and inside the General Grant’s tomb so imposing. All at the same place combining to make a most powerful impression on a first time visitor.
People smile say sorry and thank you. Every one I meet in New York is from some where else, that is New York.
Strangely cars drive in their lanes, which are meant for cutting in India, here I did not notice any lane cutting. Strangely People stop and wait at ‘Don’t Walk’ signs and so does the traffic.
Very few people on the road just cars and utility vehicles, every where the effort is to minimize the manual labor may be a new building coming up a tree being cut or in the home.
The restaurant in the Columbia University area on the Broadway-lot of activity but very little output. Possibly the waiters (all students, earning pocket money) were more efficient, running and bumping in to each other than the kitchen staff in filling the order.
Every one merges in the crowed except Indians in there sarees and salwars –kameez also possibly Iranians, they both stand out as sore thumbs.
Litter bins every few steps forcing one to use them, small parks with attendents to clear the bins. Grime removing from the face of the buildings appears to be a major operation in the face lift of New York, the oldest city of America, but it does not look that. It is forward looking, improving, improvising and innovating all the time.
Shops full of attractive items, out to break ones sales resistance. Things you never thought were needed become necessities, if you have money in your pocket, more so plastic money, they will soon take it away from you.
Unchanging scenes, changing faces a cosmos of humanity, a melting pot of diverse cultures. Long avenues and tall buildings-sun playing hide and seek with light and shade. Repetitive facade of shops, buildings, restaurants, establishments on Broadway; same again and again, creating a visual overload.
A Hospital that does not look or feel like a hospital, patients who do not look like patients. Sitting, waiting as if on trial in a court. The museums, with some of the most famous and wonderful paintings and artifacts, strangely had more visitors sitting in the lobby, cafe or the restaurants rather than in the galleries enjoying and appreciating the items on display.
Central Park: Nannies with children of super-rich parents. Old gentlemen in fine suits, limping along and alone in the park, others being pushed in wheel chairs. Young lovers too and tourists like Rosy and me resting the tired limbs. Only a super rich country can maintain parks like these.
Indian Mission: Double doors, bells, bullet proof glass faded carpets, dumb receptionist, unflattering picture of the Prime-minister on the wall, the commercial attaché all agog about the coupe, that day, in Pakistan. To top it all, the only not so clean toilet in New York that I had the privilege to visit was in the mission
Sounds of New York. Sirens of police and fire department vehicles whizzing past, Subway trains hurtling between up and down town, the clap, clap of the propellers of the police helicopters, dashing about like grasshoppers, wind-milling all the time and adding their own share to the noise.
A sudden thunderclap, in the middle of the night, activating the alarms of the cars parked on Claremont Avenue, all going on in unison. The varying tones producing a strange cacophony of sound, quite an alarming experience.
Look up any time, a plane is climbing at a steep angle after take off or is descending for landing, all the time.
Fat blacks and some whites too. Blacks dressed better than others in suits and ties. Fat Blacks, smart Blacks, beautiful Blacks. Ditto Whites. Black girls with white husband and vice versa.
First Subway ride : Pretty girls, ugly girls, thin girls fat girls. Ditto Boys. How do the really fat manage to pass the turnstile? Boys and girls, young some very young, Old ,very old holding to one another. One wonders who is supporting whom! Don’t look, admonishes my daughter. Rosy helping to tie my shoe laces. The matrons around us, amazed and nearly choking with shock and surprise at this strange act of Rosy . Was it women’s lib or cross -culture shock.
Every one in hurrying, one wonders as to what for and where to! At Subway junctions the moving mass of humanity is in fast forward mode. All busy, all involved, Reading a book or Newspaper, while eating, in bus or subway standing, sitting, hanging. So much of energy. Health freaks, running and cycling all the time any time.
Rick’s office colleagues scandalized with In- law’s staying, as house -guests never heard of such things. Not Done. Waiting for a blow up and exodus any day, which never came, possibly due the Indian culture of adjustment and Rosy’s constant monitoring of my acts of commissions or omissions.
Long drive out of New York. The month of October ushering fall, breathtakingly lovely views, every where a riot of colors. The leaves changing from green to brown, violet, yellow, and red. How does one appreciate beauty if it is so much and all the same?
Clean Roads, Road Signs at every turn, traffic all moving in same direction, at a fast clip, cars, utility vehicles, tractor trailer combines all at same speed. No bulls, no buffaloes on the road. It looks that the roads are for cars and the cars the R Rs the Bentleys the Jaguars ,the Fords and GMs and the Japanese are for the roads. Now one can understand the politics of oil. The US economy, its energy needs all being so oil dependent. No oil, the engine of economy, it will all come to a grinding halt.
A planned visit to Ricks’ family in Cherry-hill throws every one in panic. Indians are coming, Indians are coming let’s circle the wagons. Daily telephone calls regarding the likes and dislikes, the food habits of the Indians. A gracious family we were received with open arms and made to feel as part of the whole. The food was delicious, even for a vegetarian like me who had been starving all this time.
Our six weeks of planned holiday was soon over and we were back home, as a matter of fact we were back home the moment we took our cramped seats in the Air India Jumbo Jet. A number of young mothers with howling children, indifferent cabin crew, overnight messed up cabin, advice for special meals for Rosy, a cancer patient not receiver the air hostess assigned to First Class reluctant to serve soup to Rosy, provided after special request to the Commander. Well we took it all in our stride. India will be India. However, we would still like to remain in India.

dndeswal
June 25th, 2007, 07:18 PM
This post compelled me to write a few lines about New York, the city where I spent a few years of my professional career. I still remember Manhattan skyline, the subway ride and Staten Island ferry. Manhattan is a place where you better walk or ride in bus/taxi/train rather than using your own car. The five boroughs (districts) of Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx and Staten Island have their own “counties” (municipalities), with different names, i.e. the Brooklyn County is called “Kings County”.

This reminds me of Satyeshwar’s “Signature” : There is a place in Delhi named "Rani Bagh". I say its irony at it's fullest! I also say that names like “Kings County” or “Queens County” are also an irony at their fullest! See Movie “Coming to America” and watch scenes of Queensborough which includes Flushing township, the “largest Asians’ colony outside Asia”. And Jackson Heights, where you will find all kind of Indian stuff, even some Sardarji offering sugarcane juice with traditional kolhoo ! See movie “The Godfather” which will remind you of Brooklyn and Marlon Brando.

During my last visit, I could not resist riding Staten Island ferry and snapping a few shots with my digital cameras. Alas, the famous twin towers where I used to visit quite often, are missing. In those days, I had even climbed to the top of Statue of Liberty, i.e. inside its “crown”, a spot which has now been closed to visitors, due to fear of Bin Ladens and the like.

Here is a recent photo of downtown Manhattan, shot by me from across the harbor area, at the time of sunset. Twin-towers (WTC) are missing now a days. Maybe, after some years, a similar tall building will change the scene ! New York – a city which never sleeps, the one which is accustomed to changing shapes regularly.

bls31
June 25th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I am glad my post brought back your memories, what is life but a collection of memories. Brig lakshman

deepakchoudhry
June 25th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Nice Article.

dev
June 25th, 2007, 11:56 PM
WITH DUE RESPECT SIR,
I AM REALLY HURT TO READ UR ARTICLE (IT IS VERY RIGHT ON UR PART TO APPRECIATE ANYTHING BETTER OR GOOD )BUT CALLING YOUR OWN (SORRY I MAY BE WRONG INDIANS MIGHT NOT BE YOUR OWN) SORE THUMBS IS MORE HUMILIATING FOR US THAN ANY DAMN GORA CALLING AN INDIAN A PAKI/DOG/ETC, ETC.

FURTHER COMING FROM SUCH A HIGHLY RANKED PERSON , IT IS MORE DISGUSTING(SORRY FOR MY TERMINOLOGY).
Again Sir it may right to consider your Samdhis(or daughter's in laws) more sophisticated/better cultured BUT referring -INDIANS are coming(AND BE BEWARE OF THEM) is like an insult to all so called INDIANS.

SIR I AM JUST A NOVICE IN FRONT OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU BUT AGAIN WITH ADVANCED APOLOGIES I WOULD LIKE TO REGISTER MY GRUDGES.

HOPE YOU WILL NOT MIND THE MINDLESS BLOGGING OF A STUPID/ILL CULTURED/POOR/DIRTY /JAAT/ INDIAN LIKE ME.

vijay123
June 26th, 2007, 02:37 AM
Very nicely written sir. I used to feel the same when I came to US first time but I could not have even verbally narrated the feeling so well, the way you have done in writing.

Thanks for taking us through the journey.

sidchhikara
June 26th, 2007, 03:19 AM
New York is indeed a very vibrant city, good observations. All the action happens in New York - especially Wall St.

poonam
June 26th, 2007, 03:30 AM
Very nice portrayal! I almost went visual. I guess, its applicable to downtowns of any big city here in the US, SFO city for instance, one city very close to my heart. Such an ambience it holds….so very beautiful! But then, the parents visiting have a slightly different perspective which is totally acceptable.

P.S. Why does almost every downtown has Broadway, Market Street…:D Ran out of creativity or wot…..hehehhe….I love them though....:)

bls31
June 26th, 2007, 07:51 AM
WITH DUE RESPECT SIR,
I AM REALLY HURT TO READ UR ARTICLE (IT IS VERY RIGHT ON UR PART TO APPRECIATE ANYTHING BETTER OR GOOD )BUT CALLING YOUR OWN (SORRY I MAY BE WRONG INDIANS MIGHT NOT BE YOUR OWN) SORE THUMBS IS MORE HUMILIATING FOR US THAN ANY DAMN GORA CALLING AN INDIAN A PAKI/DOG/ETC, ETC.

FURTHER COMING FROM SUCH A HIGHLY RANKED PERSON , IT IS MORE DISGUSTING(SORRY FOR MY TERMINOLOGY).
Again Sir it may right to consider your Samdhis(or daughter's in laws) more sophisticated/better cultured BUT referring -INDIANS are coming(AND BE BEWARE OF THEM) is like an insult to all so called INDIANS.

SIR I AM JUST A NOVICE IN FRONT OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU BUT AGAIN WITH ADVANCED APOLOGIES I WOULD LIKE TO REGISTER MY GRUDGES.

HOPE YOU WILL NOT MIND THE MINDLESS BLOGGING OF A STUPID/ILL CULTURED/POOR/DIRTY /JAAT/ INDIAN LIKE ME.

My daughter's In-law's are Americans of Irish origin, they wanted to look after as well as possible with our short visit to Cherry Hill, having never earlier hosted persons of Indian origin and concerned, serve food of our choice at dinner, many phone call were made to ascertain our choice.Noticing their worry , I my self coined the phrase 'Indians are Coming' and not they.

On the other hand while having dinner at an Indian High Commissioner's residence long back, I went nearly hungry, a vegetarian, was served nothing but fish and chicken.

I also remained hungry during our stay in New York, eating bland Chinese ,except on the days when my wife cooked dinner.

Some times to make the writing racy an author tends to bring in phrases of his own . Hope you will now understand what I had written about those who went overboard in caring for me and my sick wife.

Incidentally this article is an extract from my Book The One way Street, you may like to see some of my extracts from the book under the Post My New book. regards Brig lakshman

raj_rathee
June 26th, 2007, 08:15 AM
WITH DUE RESPECT SIR,

Dev...what did you read to come up with all this? Couldn't have been Brig.
Chacha's post.

dahiyarules
June 26th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Sir! you were fortunate to have landed in a nice part when you first came to America. I landed in the ghettoest of all parts of Jersey City. Spent my first few days in a rat-infested apartment that I shared with bunch of other people. Fortunately, I was sheduled to leave for Florida soon enough. Once in Florida, things got better as cost of living came down incredibly and I got a Job that paid my way through school.

Everything else aside, I miss that blaring horns and the messed up traffic, and other jams caused by bovines. India has its own charm. The majestic neiborhoods of Lutyens put the best suburban neighborhoods in America to shame. A 15 minute drive to old Delhi will put you in touch with a historic timeline. The street in old Delhi that you may be standing on was bustlin just as it does today, even before the first European set foot on America.

I always tell my friends that coming to America is like getting stuck in quick sand. I do not want to return as of now because I fear loosing all that I have acheived, and I would hate to miss all that I am yet to achieve.

Life runs parallel to my bank balance. Every day is better than yesterday. That just gives me another reason to avoid turning around and looking back.

dahiyarules
June 26th, 2007, 08:34 AM
WITH DUE RESPECT SIR,

I think Indians are sore thumbs. It takes courage and honest opinion to refer them as such.

There is a saying, when in Rome live like Romans. I come across a lot of Indians who live like Romans or live like Barbarians (just a reference).

The least we can do to show our appreciation is by assimilating in other countries. I have seen Indians in middle-Eastern countries. Even non-muslim women put on their Hijab. Same goes for some African countries where Indian women dress like locals.

So, why does it become a matter of national/cultural pride when we prefer to stick out as sore thumbs in western societies?

dndeswal
June 26th, 2007, 12:11 PM
P.S. Why does almost every downtown has Broadway, Market Street…:D Ran out of creativity or wot…..hehehhe….I love them though....:)

One more NY related riddle. “Brooklyn Bridge” goes to Brooklyn, “Manhattan Bridge” to Manhattan, “Queenboro Bridge” to Queens, “Triboro Bridge” to 3 respective boroughs (districts), “Midtown Tunnel” to NY midtown. How come “Holland Tunnel” goes to New Jersey? hehehe ! :)

dev
June 27th, 2007, 11:03 PM
I think Indians are sore thumbs. It takes courage and honest opinion to refer them as such.

There is a saying, when in Rome live like Romans. I come across a lot of Indians who live like Romans or live like Barbarians (just a reference).

The least we can do to show our appreciation is by assimilating in other countries. I have seen Indians in middle-Eastern countries. Even non-muslim women put on their Hijab. Same goes for some African countries where Indian women dress like locals.

So, why does it become a matter of national/cultural pride when we prefer to stick out as sore thumbs in western societies?

Ooops

Sorry, sir and thanx for upgrading my knowledge .
i never had the faintest of ideas that wearing ur own dresses or salwar kameezs/etc. is being sore thumbs (then to my dadi par dadi/ maa/ bhua/ tai / chachi / dada/ babu/ , every body is a sore thumb)
AND i CONSIDER BEING SORE THUMBS WE PEOPLE ARE NOT EVEN FIT ENOUGH TO SIT WITH THE SO CALLED HIGHLY CULTURED/ETC. ETC. WESTERN OR SO CALLED WESTERNIZED PEOPLE( SORRY FOR THE TERMINOLOGY--KAALE ANGREZ)

Thank u ( now i understand why the peolpe in India have coined the frame JAT- JUST AVOID THEM/- AS IT IS RIGHTLY SAID BY SOME SCHOLAR THAT THOSE WHO CAN,T RESPECT THEIR OWN THEY ARE .......................- don,t even want to mention )

dev
June 27th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Dev...what did you read to come up with all this? Couldn't have been Brig.
Chacha's post.

Rathi bhai
i have the greatest regard for Brig. uncle and reale it was a nic e article
But bhai may be he is right that we people are sore thumbs - it might be right for me but i am not convinced that my maa/ dadi/ dada/ bhua/chaci/etc. etc. who wear the traditional dresses are or can be sore thumbs .

Sorry if u felt offended

raj_rathee
June 28th, 2007, 01:05 AM
Rathi bhai
i have the greatest regard for Brig. uncle and reale it was a nic e article
But bhai may be he is right that we people are sore thumbs - it might be right for me but i am not convinced that my maa/ dadi/ dada/ bhua/chaci/etc. etc. who wear the traditional dresses are or can be sore thumbs .

Sorry if u felt offended

Dev, I think you are missing the point or reading it outside of context.
When saying XYZ sticks out like a sore thumb, it does not imply anything
about XYZ except to say that it is visibly different from the surroundings.

A "gora" standing amongst a crowd of Indians also "sticks out like a
sore thumb". Saying so does not imply that the gora is any way
inferior etc. than the rest.

You simply cannot make any conclusions about the author's
view or perceptions from reading this statement...except that he does
have a pair of eyes that can quickly pick out what is different.

anujdahiya
June 28th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Dev,

I think you misunderstood the context. The term just meant that the girls in salwar kameez were easily noticable among the crowd, due to the dress. I could not find anything objectionable in it.

Anuj

WITH DUE RESPECT SIR,

bls31
June 28th, 2007, 02:00 AM
This is getting interesting and as there are two views on what I had written of my impressions of New York a couple of years back need debating. the sore thumbs I had mentioned in any case were not Jats, as the only three Jats present in the near vicinity my wife, my daughter and my self were all dressed in Jackets and trousers. I was referring to the Pakistanis, Iranians, the Bangladashis and of course us Indians with their different shape ,shine, and shadow stood out of the multitude of humanity an became an object of interest and curiosity bestowed by at least a passing glance.
About the Dadi and Amman my mother in her 35 yard Tukri and couple Kelos of silver ornaments covering most part of anatomy was no doubt part of the scene of her native village in her younger days but would have definitely looked out of place dressed and ornamented like that as the wife of the District Magistrate Nanital in her later years.
Why in any case are we partial to the ladies, How many of the expatriates Indians , clutching their work permits or green cards attend their offices or business dressed in native Dhoti Kurta or even the national dress Achkan and Churidar as Friday dress, what to say of week days. Yes on the other hand I did stand lie a sore-thumb when as a young boy I visited our village with my parents dressed in Khaki Half Pants and Sola Hat in the height of the hot summers inviting jokes and snide comments from young and old.

It is is a free world and and one can dress any way as long local sensibilities are taken care of lie Turban in France, Religious symbols in EU the Burka and Hizab In UK.
Things are really getting hot here back in India if one goes by the No PILs and FIRs being filed and registered by the day, with the religious or cultural sensibilities of one or other getting hurt in infamous kiss of Shilpa Shetty, dressing sby someone as a Sikh saint, Salman Rushid' Knight hoods even a condom being sold in MP And last but not the least the dance perfprmance, dressed in a body suit by our own Mallika Sharawt a full bloode Jat the list is endless BLS

dahiyarules
June 28th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Ooops

Sorry, sir and thanx for upgrading my knowledge .
i never had the faintest of ideas that wearing ur own dresses or salwar kameezs/etc. is being sore thumbs (then to my dadi par dadi/ maa/ bhua/ tai / chachi / dada/ babu/ , every body is a sore thumb)
AND i CONSIDER BEING SORE THUMBS WE PEOPLE ARE NOT EVEN FIT ENOUGH TO SIT WITH THE SO CALLED HIGHLY CULTURED/ETC. ETC. WESTERN OR SO CALLED WESTERNIZED PEOPLE( SORRY FOR THE TERMINOLOGY--KAALE ANGREZ)

Thank u ( now i understand why the peolpe in India have coined the frame JAT- JUST AVOID THEM/- AS IT IS RIGHTLY SAID BY SOME SCHOLAR THAT THOSE WHO CAN,T RESPECT THEIR OWN THEY ARE .......................- don,t even want to mention )

You are jumping to ill-founded conclusion bro.

When my mother visits me, she wears a Salwar-Kameez, all over the place. And trust me, when I am out with here, I believe that she is the most graceful lady around.

But, point is that my mother does not reside here. And so is the case with millions of tourists who come to America every year. I do not expect them to totally change their lifestyle for the few days they spend in this country.

But, on the other hand there are people who came to America to stay here. Most of them come here to have a better economic status and standard of living.

All this while we must not forget that this country and its people have their own heritage. We must respect their heritage by trying to adopt it. We can always celebrate our own heritage at the same time. We have the freedom to do that. But, we must show our appreciation for our host countries by adopting and celebrating their heritage along with ours.

If we have a problem doing so, then it is an indication of our lack of gratitude for those who are willing to share their country with us.

You still have the freedom to opt out of this process of celebrating each other's heritage. But, then dont complain about being a sore thumb.

shailendra
June 28th, 2007, 08:47 PM
All this while we must not forget that this (or any other country you decide to reside in) that country and its people have their own heritage...we must show our appreciation for our host countries by adopting and celebrating their heritage along with ours.

...Hmmm, quite well and smartly put (...well, I mean I am surprised man...;))

pnauhwar21
July 1st, 2007, 07:41 AM
Don't you guys think that its actually better that most of Indian ladies stick to traditional dresses of our country like Suits or Sarees.. just imagine if our Indian aunties with their great figure walk around in a bikini on US beaches or wear tight jeans and tops in an attempt to mingle in the culture of their host country. As for indian guys, imagine them walking to the mall in 4X jeans size hanging around below waist and 10X t-shirt going below knees and funky caps turned around all trying to be like their American friends.

Obviously when you talk of traditional dresses, it doesn't mean that Indians need to go out in dhoti-kurta or lungi and girls in ghagra-choli. These are not daily wear dress that you will go out in your office in them (even in India). End of the day, you need to wear whats comfortable to you and which matches with the place you are at.

As for the original intent of this thread, it was very apt description of the place and made it almost lively to the reader. Hats off to Brig. BLS ji.

ravileo
July 1st, 2007, 12:52 PM
wow sir
when was goin thorugh article i just felt that i was there on spot
nice article
keep witing sir

bls31
July 2nd, 2007, 10:25 AM
you may like to go to the Post My new book for some interseting extracts from my new book BLS