PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming

jaydeshwal
July 7th, 2007, 03:07 PM
THIS IS A VERY SERIOUS MATTER TO DISCUSS. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE GROWTH, BESIDES IT WE CAN MAKE CHANGE BY OUR LITTLE EFFORTS. HOW WE CAN MAKE THE CHANGE IN THE CLIMATE, PLEASE SEND ME YOUR OPINIONS.

dahiyarules
July 7th, 2007, 08:44 PM
yeh lo! ek aur aa gaya....Bhai! this issue has been repeated often.

My understanding is that we need to cut our pollution, because pollution is a wastage. And wastage means a strain on our limited resources; financial and otherwise.

What I am doing to cut my wastage:

1. I drive less.

2. I think my next car will be a hybrid. Atleast it will save me gas money.

3. I wash more clothes in every washload, thus saving water, electricity and petroleum based detergents.

4. I try to use cold water as much as possible.

5. I try to avoid using airconditioning and heating.

There are other things that can be done, but these are what I can think of.

I think instead of banging our heads to debate global warming, we should share our ideas of cutting waste and thus conserving our precious resoureces.

ritikarathee
July 7th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Global warming is the greatest threat today to planet earth,even more daunting than the destruction caused by worl war 2.

Better use of concrete ,metals n timber in construction n less use of energy for everthing from air conditioner to lighting in homes n offices .
Avoid builiding a bigger house than u need.
i think it will help a lil' but matters a lot.

vivek
July 7th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Global Warming is just a bakwas concern....

http://www.suntimes.com/news/otherviews/450392,CST-EDT-REF30b.article

BTW...a study states that a hybrid car consumes more energy than even a Hummer over its lifetime. The majority of its consumption occurs during its manufacture.

http://www.reason.org/commentaries/dalmia_20060719.shtml

dahiyarules
July 7th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Global Warming is just a bakwas concern....

http://www.suntimes.com/news/otherviews/450392,CST-EDT-REF30b.article

BTW...a study states that a hybrid car consumes more energy than even a Hummer over its lifetime. The majority of its consumption occurs during its manufacture.

http://www.reason.org/commentaries/dalmia_20060719.shtml
\
He He he! The reason that I believe it is all bakwaas is because the kind of people this propaganda comes from. The leaders of this scam fly in jet planes, drive around in nice cars while their hybrids bite the dust in the driveway, and live in huge homes.

They want us to cut our consumption so that we leave more on the table for them.

Anyways, if we look at it logically, theres no harm in saving and being economical. So, cut your energy use and save some money.

navingulia
July 8th, 2007, 09:11 AM
dont use polethenes(they get burnt with garbage) and plant trees

if we dont take care of nature, nature can take care of itself and nature's ways can be very harsh. A species like dinosaurs couldnt survive, human beings are a nothing.

jaydeshwal
July 9th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Global warming is the greatest threat today to planet earth,even more daunting than the destruction caused by worl war 2.

Better use of concrete ,metals n timber in construction n less use of energy for everthing from air conditioner to lighting in homes n offices .
Avoid builiding a bigger house than u need.
i think it will help a lil' but matters a lot.

i think individual efforts as well as group efforts like participation of corporate houses will make a large impact. companies which indulges in construction works can make special green zones nearby their projects. share some other ideas what corporates can do.

priti
July 9th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Hi Jay

You can look at the sustainability/environmental reports of all global corporations in high impact sectors (most publish it annually), such as metals and mining, construction, oil and gas, airlines and transport, to get familiar with what corporations are doing...

Also, you can refer to this following thread for previous discussion on this topic:

http://www.jatland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18782

i think individual efforts as well as group efforts like participation of corporate houses will make a large impact. companies which indulges in construction works can make special green zones nearby their projects. share some other ideas what corporates can do.

dahiyars
July 10th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Encouraging Awareness -- Build capacity to Innovate & Decide
Climate Change: A concern
Recent phenomenon like global warming, depletion in ozone layer, forests, ground water, etc. are attributed to climate change. Rise in the levels of chloro fluro carbons (CFC) in atmosphere, enhanced levels of atmospheric pollution, deforestation, etc., directly or indirectly harm our environment and cause changes in the area specific climate and day to day weather. Some of these factors also indirectly or directly like weather extremes cause hazards like landslides, forest fires, floods, droughts and so on. This climate change is becoming an issue of major concern among governments, environmentalists , intelligensia and common masses.
We can take positive steps to save our earth from global warming and adverse effects of climate change by developing a better Understanding of Weather & Climate Change.
The Basics
Weather
The state of the atmosphere at a given time and place, with respect to variables such as temperature, moisture, wind velocity, and barometric pressure is called weather of that area.
Atmosphere
The Earth is surrounded by a blanket of air, which we call the atmosphere. Life on Earth is supported by the atmosphere, solar energy, and our planet's magnetic fields. The atmosphere protects us from high-energy radiation and the frigid vacuum of space.
Climate
Climate is commonly defined as the weather averaged over a long period of time. For practical uses the standard averaging period is 30 years, but other periods may be used depending on the purpose.
What is Climate Change?
Any significant change in measures of climate (weather parameters like temperature, wind velocity, humidity, rainfall etc.) over extended periods of time (decades or longer is called climate change.
Greenhouse Effect and Global warming
Certain gases like Carbon dioxide(Co2), Methane(CH4), Nitrous oxide, chloro floro carbons and fluorinated gases which are emitted into the atmosphere naturally as well as through human activities, trap heat in the atmosphere. Which results in warming up of atmosphere.

Global warming refers to an average increase in the Earth's temperature over a long period of time say a trend, earth’s temperature has risen by 1 degree over the past century, which in turn may cause changes in climate like glaciers melting, sea level rising and many areas facing droughts or floods, depletion in green belt, change in biodiversity, some rare species becoming extinct and so on. Scientists and environmentalists fear that recent changes in rainfall patterns, a rise in sea level, and a wide range of impact on plants, wildlife, and humans is due to global warming which can be further attributed to green house effect.

What can be done?
To address various concerns about planet earth a multimodal program on “Understanding Planet Earth” is being developed through a process of wide consultation. Rashtriya Vigyan Evam Evam Prodyogiki Sanchar Parishad is supporting programmes on these concerns.
Who can participate?
High school students, school science teachers, village leaders, small farmers and common masses all are encouraged to participate in this campaign.
1. Training of Resource Persons
We are developing hands-on module for high school science teachers. The topics are:
1) Understanding of atmosphere, cloud formation, cyclones and storms
2) Science behind Rainbows, Atmospheric optics
3) Study of climate change and factors responsible for it
4) Learning and taking scientifically valid measurements in the fields of meteorology, pollution levels, Air Quality Monitoring, etc.
5) Study of Hydrological, Carbon and Nitrogen Cycles
6) Sustainable practices for better rural economics
Theory and practical sessions will complement each other.

2. School based programmes

School students can engage in collection of essential weather data. In the process they can understand method of science like observation, collection and analysis of data, estimation, measurements, precision, usage of data and interpretation, etc.. Students will also do some hands-on activities for understanding concepts like acid rain, atmosphere, pressure, cloud formation, dew, lightening, and other related phenomenon, etc.

3. Field exposure visits to weather monitoring stations

Visit to such stations and other institutions where weather data is gathered compiled, processed etc., will create better understanding and awareness amongst various target groups about weather, climate and hazards, etc. and their scientific principles. Students may appreciate scientists who are dedicated to climate study and chose this as a career.

4. Project work, quiz programmes and learning- by- doing games, puzzles, etc. on meteorology

Students’ activities must lead to multi tier quiz programmes on weather, climate, hazards, etc. Winners of the regional level may participate in the State or higher competitions. Presentations of open ended project work can be done in state level competitions so that besides learning method of science, students also learn, communication skills, project presentation, team work, etc.

5. Meet the weather expert -- invited lecture demonstration

With the help of various meteorological departments, universities and institutional experts, lectures by eminent experts can be organised to create awareness about intricacies involved in weather forecasting, estimation of rainfall, temperature, natural hazards, actions by community to reduce the ‘impact’ .

6. Vigyan Vad-Vivad Sabhas

It is a matter of concern with intelligentsia and common masses alike the way day to day weather is changing and long term climate change due to global warming, deforestation, rapid urbanization, atmospheric pollution, etc. Debates and discussion in panchayats will try to bring forth diverse points of views of farmers, planners and administrators, choices available and cost on our eco-systems.
Some concrete things can be and sgould be done by us
R.S.Dahiya

gaganjat
August 18th, 2007, 03:32 PM
I have kept my boat ready ...will be gud fun living in a boat !

I suggest everyone to buy one now otherwise it will be too expensive to buy one in future.