PDA

View Full Version : Starnded in London

bls31
July 13th, 2007, 10:58 AM
It happened long back BLS

Stranded in London
It was a weekend and I was alone in my eighth floor room with the others members of the delegation away to enjoy the free day. A hotel room with thing to do can be terribly oppressive and boring.

Feeling adventures and a bit bold, I came out of Hotel Imperial, in Russell Square, where I was staying, with the earlier experience of travelling by the tube along with Shamsher, an expert on London streets and my unofficial guide, I felt confident of managing the outing on my own, I took the tube to Piccadilly Circus and

After a random walk of window shopping and looking around I bought a ticket to a movie, one of those that run in an unending loop where one can buy a ticket, walk in or walkout any time one feels like.

It was late by the time the movie over, or possibly I got bored with it, and I decided to return back to the hotel, when to my horror and constraint I found that the tube had downed the shutters for the night, to add to my misery, with no umbrella at hand, it also started to rain, the typical English, falling in light sprays.

I, totally unfamiliar with the mega polis, having arrived only a couple of days back and scheduled to leave the next day, felt utterly lost and was a worried Indian . Though stranded in the middle of London, there appeared to be no one around, Gentleman or lady, Indian or English, willing to help m.

The worry of getting stranded increasing by the minute also of the possibility of some untoward incident happening, at back of my mind and a real possibility, making the Headline News the next morning, asking a question as to what a senior Indian Army officer was doing that late in night at a place where he should not have been and more so of getting mugged and loosing the Passport and the precious Pounds in my pocket; the human brain is capable of conjecturing all sort of frightening scenarios.
Many taxis cruised past, some to my surprise driven by ladies, as luck would have it all occupied.
Fortunately the scenarios remained a figment of imagination and never became real, Nothing like what I had been imagining all the time happened and with an unoccupied taxi mercifully appearing and dropping me safe and sound at the hotel, except that throughout the drive I had my eyes riveted on the green digital displays speedily scrolling numerals indicating the alarmingly rising fare by the mile, with me all the time counting the limited cash in my pocket.

The next day at the check out there was a problem ,the instructions from our High Commissioner’s office who were supposed to clear the delegation’s bill ,were not to clear and the hotel clerk insisted on ourselves clearing the bill. It did require some time and effort to sort-out the mess. Half way to the Heathrow airport, I realised that my passport and air ticket was missing, the worst that can happen to any one in a foreign country, especially on a Sunday in UK.

Frantic drive back to the hotel ,exhaustive search of the hotel lobby and the room from I had checked-out produced no results, with tension mounting and a depressed mood I came back to the waiting car, I sat on the front seat, not too sure as to what my next step would be when my hand happen to slide down to the floor of the car and touched the edge of some thing jutting out from under the seat, low and behold it was the missing passport with the air ticket , that had some how slipped and found it’s way under the seat.

In the process we missed the flight on which we were booked and had to take a later flight to Hamburg, our next stop, with the result that there was no one to receive and guide us to the hotel on arrival.

shailendra
July 13th, 2007, 10:15 PM
...Hope you Enjoy it as much as I did sketching it!!! :D:D:D

Note: I added some minor changes...

dahiyarules
July 13th, 2007, 11:03 PM
...Hope you Enjoy it as much as I did sketching it!!! :D:D:D

Ha Ha Ha!

Shailendra Bhai! You are just too awesome. Stick to your sketches. thats what you do the best.

bls31
July 13th, 2007, 11:06 PM
You got the hair right the mustache are a bit different , but where was the enjoyment I was worried sick. Thanks Lakshman

bls31
July 13th, 2007, 11:08 PM
with your permission I will put the Cartoon in my book which in the pre publication stage and contains lost in london asa smm incident during that trip BLS

bharti
July 13th, 2007, 11:21 PM
I wish I too were stranded somewhere so someone would picture me so well:p
I had been a fan of RK Laxman's work... no longer.

Shailendra ji, each caricature by you leaves a Blazing Trail.

Great work indeed.

regards,
Bharti.

shailendra
July 14th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Ha Ha Ha!

Shailendra Bhai! You are just too awesome. Stick to your sketches. thats what you do the best.

LOL! You mean, stick to ONLY sketches and not try and write anything anywhere else, right?....Heh! Heh! Just kidding!

Thanks for enjoying the caricature! ;)

shailendra
July 14th, 2007, 12:34 AM
You got the hair right the mustache are a bit different , but where was the enjoyment I was worried sick. Thanks Lakshman

Oh I am sure, was trying to squint into the screen and try and make out your features for the cartoon, the picture was kinda small to make out everything....

ps. As to the enjoyment visible in there, of course the smile was only at having now found the Passport etc.!!! (while the cabbie wonders what's with the Indian dude running in and out of my cab all excited like...;))

shailendra
July 14th, 2007, 12:35 AM
with your permission I will put the Cartoon in my book which in the pre publication stage and contains lost in london asa smm incident during that trip BLS

By all means!!!... :)

shailendra
July 14th, 2007, 12:42 AM
I wish I too were stranded somewhere so someone would picture me so well:p
I had been a fan of RK Laxman's work... no longer.

Shailendra ji, each caricature by you leaves a Blazing Trail.

Great work indeed.

regards,
Bharti.

Thanks Bharti! I am glad you enjoyed my work(s)...
Of course; RK Laxman is THE man, an iconic legend.... it feels good to be mentioned alongside his name anywhere. Made my day... :)

ps. Well, would surely wait for some stunning (as visually expressive) account of your own adventures here sometime...and then who knows! LOL...

sidchhikara
July 14th, 2007, 03:41 AM
Jabardast , I was wondering if you were tempted to make the taxi driver a sardar?

bls31
July 14th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Could you try your artist's Skill on some of the village scenes from my younger days as visualized by me BLS

It was here among other wonders of village life that I was initiated in the art of smoking a clay pipe, crafted from the mud of the pond and a small section from the reeds, for city bread, it was all pure thrill and fun.

There was always a herd of buffaloes in the pond, with just the nostrils and eyes showing above the surface. Some times the children would also gleefully jump, stark naked, and join the buffaloes in an effort to beat the heat.

Deeply embedded in the memory are the summer nights, the Grandmother, a AJ Rowling of her day, with her collection of fairy tails, telling stories to the cousins and me lying next to her, all ears in rapt attention, the ink black sky, as the back drop, with myriad of stars, some shining bright others twinkling, bringing the fairies, demons, Rajas and Rains, the ordinary folks, in the stories, like the Dhobi and the Tail, animals like the fox and jackal, all alive in our child's mind, the imagination running riot.

The children did not have much to do in the village except run in and out of the house aimlessly, I in tow, much to the annoyance of the ladies of the house and the peacefully sleeping dogs who fell in our random path.

For others, the general public, the only mode for travelling, available, was the SSLR (Sahadra -Saharanpur Light, narrow gauge, 2’-6” NG Line, Railway) with its head-office in far-of Calcutta.

Maddening slow paced and always overcrowded, about the speed of the train it was said that an agile young man from the front compartment could jump down, go to the nearest bush, do his trick and still have enough time to get in the last but one compartment.

Soon the engine pulling the compartments would chug-in, bellowing much steam and repeated blowing of the whistle as if announcing the joy of arriving; in actual fact it was to warn the multitude to move away from the railway line. As it steamed in noisily click clacking, I would be holding to my mother's skirt, like most of the other children of my age, for dear life.

spdeshwal
July 14th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Brigadier Sir,

I could give some lead to Shailendera if that can be of some interest to him as well.

I could visualize two half clad kids of about 10-12 years, one on top of the buffalo and other holding the tail and a stray dog barking at them!

Second could be the local crowd on top of a train compartment with some females with their belongings( Gathadee) on their heads.

Anyways, you are truely an awesome storyteller sir!

Regards!

bls31
July 14th, 2007, 11:16 PM
It were kids of Six or Seven BLS