PDA

View Full Version : Reservation: My Views

nmalik121
July 16th, 2007, 02:04 PM
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/7890/gandhihm8.jpg

From the very beginning, I have been an ardent patriot and always have been a bit sentimental about Bharat. I am an ordinary Indian citizen and I am pretty proud of that while knowing both positives and negatives about India as a whole.

In any case, I am a person who never believed in being ‘Best’ but better and better. After being best, there would be no difference between me and a book kept in the library which can’t be modified, improved or added to something for its betterment. And there is nothing or no one in this world, who/which don’t have a space for improvement. So I heartily accept all the challenges, obstacles and stigmas attached with my country in its various corners.

I am just putting my thoughts/views on one of the very important (and burning one too) issue that is:

Reservation
The reservation based on caste system should be abolished completely and initiate another quota system based on just and just poverty. And this quota system would not be applied for education. Poor people would get quota in every sphere of life which would help them in getting out of the vicious cycle of extreme poverty. Here, my idea is not to make everyone rich like Ambanis or Mittals. The idea is to provide every human being a respectable life with basic amenities without any hindrance, which are important to live an average life such as education, health, employment, and crime-free life. The poverty level would be decided based on basic points like:

Where did a child get birth, at home, in a government hospital, or some costly private hospital?
Which school he or she has gone to study (if he is educated up to a certain level, if he is uneducated, then he automatically comes under quota system up to the age of 21-years provided other conditioned fulfilled)
How much his parents earn or pay taxes? (If he/she is an orphan, he/she would be under quota up to the age of 21-years)
There would be minimum level of marks (60%) for availing reservation in IIT or IIM, AIIMS like institutes. No entry for non-performers from any caste.
In every family, only one generation would be given quota facility. After that no quota would be available for his/her family members assuming that 21-years of quota would help me a person find a job and a decent future too.
The person who is passed out from reputed institutes IIT, IIM, AIIMs etc. and has decided to be in teaching profession for the same field/institutes, would be given quota to his/her another family member. This needs to be done considering the lack of faculty in top-level institutes.
The quota would be given to those families whose any family member/members have sacrificed their life for nation in any form.
Quota would be based on states-wise too. There are few states in India which are far poorer than others. So, the youth from those troubled states (Aasam, Kashmir, Chattisgarh, Uttranachal, UP, Arunachal Pardesh, Kerla etc.) would be given preference for all kind of rehabilitations. There would be a long list of other minute-minute but very significant points which would be the base for availing the quota. And this entire quota facility would be strictly availed till the age of 21-years. India has a large population, so we have to ensure that seats and attached facilities with quota would be shifted from one person to another one quickly. One more important thing, There would be no quota available in jobs for anyone. There would be equal opportunity available for everyone to educate and make them-selves eligible for a good job. Don’t expect anything more than that.

There are many other initiatives can be launched to make it more fair and useful enough.

I will continue with this series in parts for presenting my views on different aspects of “Should Be” and “Should Not Be”.

kumar655
July 29th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Nice thoughts, Nitin. You have provided some good options to address the complicated/ controversial issue of reservation. The challenge for now for India could be how to track and verify the background information. Nonetheless, new and likely workable options must be considered. Keep writing.

Best regards,
Ajay

sumeetmalik
July 29th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Man, I almost entirely disagree with your suggestions. You want to replace one reservation by another. What is the difference then. It will soon be fested with the same problems that the present reservations has.
Reservations are always crippling. They cripple the country. Politicians realise their crippling power more than us and they use it to their maximum advantage.

But I like your wider thought. I would say there should be a system of scholarships. That almost doesnt exist here. Tap the young talent. Poor kids (if they are deserving) get scholarships and rich kids pay the education system. Now how does that sound? A child or individual is then encouraged on his and his abilities only thus raising his self-esteem. Rather than going with the attitude that he has a reserved seat, no matter what. Soon he starts to think its his right to walk in to a job as well but then you have abolished Job reservation.

The love for the country is all right and all but reserving seat for the son of a freedon fighter is ridiculous. Its almost a disservice to the country and making fun of the supreme sacrifice. The father would like to see his son to be independent and strong not get a seat in an institution. And 60% cutoff for IIMs/IITs etc. is a juvenile thought.

(Nothing personal here, Nitin. Just critiquing the thoughts.)

nmalik121
July 29th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Thanks for your comment Sumeet!!! Well, If one think that reservation doesn't need at all dear, to be frank, it needs to certain section in the society right now, it is just that we need to select that section carefully. India has been a country where equal opportunity was never ever provided to every citizen based on caste, education, religion and many others ridiculous reasons. And, i dont agree that my reservation is same as the current one. becoz Sumeet, my reservation system is aimed at eradicating the poverty and not for gaining the votes. To be honest, poor people in India still needs a preferred treatment becoz of wide-spread impairty in the society.

Man, I almost entirely disagree with your suggestions. You want to replace one reservation by another. What is the difference then. It will soon be fested with the same problems that the present reservations has.
Reservations are always crippling. They cripple the country. Politicians realise their crippling power more than us and they use it to their maximum advantage.

But I like your wider thought. I would say there should be a system of scholarships. That almost doesnt exist here. Tap the young talent. Poor kids (if they are deserving) get scholarships and rich kids pay the education system. Now how does that sound? A child or individual is then encouraged on his and his abilities only thus raising his self-esteem. Rather than going with the attitude that he has a reserved seat, no matter what. Soon he starts to think its his right to walk in to a job as well but then you have abolished Job reservation.

The love for the country is all right and all but reserving seat for the son of a freedon fighter is ridiculous. Its almost a disservice to the country and making fun of the supreme sacrifice. The father would like to see his son to be independent and strong not get a seat in an institution. And 60% cutoff for IIMs/IITs etc. is a juvenile thought.

(Nothing personal here, Nitin. Just critiquing the thoughts.)