PDA

View Full Version : Ganpati Bappa…Morya

nmalik121
September 27th, 2007, 12:11 AM
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/7241/ganeshafy2.jpg

Ganpati Bappa…Morya

“Aai, please let me play, all of my friends must have reached the ground already!” Apu pleaded with his mother.

“Finish your homework first, only then you can go,” Aai replied.

“Pleeeeaseeeeeee…….my lovely mother, my sweet mother,” Apu unleashed his weapon of flattery mixed with innocence that always worked with his mother.

“Okay…but you will be back within two hours, no playing after dark. Ok?” Aai relented.

“Promise aai, I will be back soon,” Apu closed his notebook and ran towards the door with his tiny feet.

“Badmaash,” Aai smiled. After all, her world revolved around her only son Apu. Her gaze shifted from the trail of dust that a running Apu left behind him to a few photographs hanging on the wall. Apu was playing in his father’s lap in one of the photographs taken at the Mount Mary fair when he was barely a year old. Another photograph had her, Apu’s father and then two-year-old Apu, all smiling, cutting his birthday cake. There were few more pictures--as a little baby posing with his father.

Apu was hardly three when Ramakant, his father, was killed in a road accident. After her husband’s death, Mugdha tried hard to ensure that Apu never feels the void left behind by his Appa. And she had done it with a great measure of success.

As Apu reached the small playground, he could see his friends gathered in one corner of the ground discussing in hushed voices, their bats on their shoulders, looking all grown up. A few yards away from them few men were laying blue tarpaulin sheets over the wooden skeleton of a pandal. An idol of Ganesha was to be installed and elaborate arrangements were in store for lighting and decoration.

It was clear that the boys were forbidden from playing on the ground.

“Narayan, what are these people doing?” Apu tucked at Narayan’s sleeve and asked ingenuously. Apu, at six years of age, was the youngest amongst his friends.

Ten year old Narayan was the eldest, and by default the leader of their group. To his younger groupies, he had the answers to everything that they did not know.

This time too, Narayan didn’t disappoint.

“Aree buddhu, tomorrow is Ganesh Chaturthi. You even don’t know this?” Narayan asked him in an I-know-all tone.

“Ganesh Chaturthi?” Apu asked incredulously.

“Yes…Ganpati festival. Ganpati comes to our homes and give us whatever we pray for to Him,” Shibu, another friend of Apu, pitched in grinning widely, “It’s so much fun, we will have sweets, new clothes, and gifts. Ganpati will come to my home; I will dance and then with my father, I will carry the idol to the sea to immerse Him. Ganpati will give us whatever we want.”

“Anything we ask for?” Apu asked with eyes wide open.

“Haan re khajoor, after all Ganpati is God, don’t you know?” Narayan replied.

……………

Apu entered his home silently, lost in his own thoughts. His clothes and feet were not dusty like they always were post play time.

“Aree Apu, You are back so early?” Aai asked.

Apu rushed towards his mother swaying his head side-to-side, and hugged her. He was so small that he couldn’t even reach her waist. Aai picked him up.

“What happened Apu? Did you again fight with Shibu?” Aai asked running her fingers through his hair.

“Aai, is Ganapati God? Can Ganpati give us anything?”

“Yes son, Ganpati is God and he can grant anything one prays for…but why are you asking this?” she was amused by his questions.

“Shibu said that tomorrow Ganpati will come and he will give us everything that we pray for,” Apu asked looking at his mother. Innocence was breathing in lively through his eyes, voice and posture.

“Hmmm…Well…Yes…That’s true dear but what do you want from God?” she unfolded her arms and made him sit on the bed.

“First tell me, is it true that tomorrow Ganpati will visit our home?” Apu hurled another question at his mother. He wanted his questions to be answered first; all his questions weren't answered yet.

“Yes son, Ganpati will surely come tomorrow morning,” she gave in to her son’s inquisitiveness, “Now tell me, what my ssona beta will ask for from Ganpati?”

“Aai, I will ask for lots of chocolates, gifts and….” Apu stopped midway.

“And…?”

Apu sat silently.

“Apu…?” she questioned again.

There was no answer.

She put her hands around his face and asked softly, “My son, won’t you tell your Aai?”

For a second, she found his silence very uncomfortable. Now, Apu was testing his mother’s patience.

“Tell me Apu…please son,” her patience was running out.

nmalik121
September 27th, 2007, 12:13 AM
“And….Baba,” Apu whispered softly, looked at his mother and sank tightly onto her bosom. His words were almost inaudible. His tears wet her sari.

For a second, she went numb. First time since Ramakant’s death, she sensed how deeply Apu missed his father. For a moment, flood of tears broke its boundary and she gave in to her misery of loneliness. She closed her eyes and tears, pregnant with feelings, ran slowly down her cheeks.

She hurriedly wiped away the last traces of her misery, stopping them at the threshold of her luminous eyes and faked a smile.

“Let’s get up, now Apu will watch cartoon network and have his delicious dinner,” she said trying to steady her voice.

“No…I want Baba,” Apu made his wish obvious.

“Today, I have made your favorite dish Kheer, full of kaju-kishmish,” she tried to divert his attention but it was not working.

“No, I don’t want anything, bring me my Baba,” Apu had started to growl loudly, “All of my friends have Baba except me, am I that bad, Aai?”

“No Apu, my son, no,” Apu’s words almost brought her again to the brink of breakdown. Every single word he said was hammering her mind thousand times, as if all the blood had been soaked out of her body.

“Aai, why don’t you tell me where is my Baba? I want Baba right now,” Apu continued in his stubborn ways unaware of his mother’s misery.

“I told you to just have dinner and sleep,” she yelled. She really didn’t know what to tell to Apu.

Apu started crying inconsolably. Apu kept crying till late night. Her efforts to console him went in vain.

“Tomorrow, I will ask Ganpati to give me my Baba,” Apu uttered amidst muffled sobs and finally slept.

Today, Apu had slept without eating anything for first time. Her little boy was big enough to take his own decisions now.

“My son, I am helpless,” she said looking at sleeping Apu’s face, “Oh God, I am really broken today.” Apu’s face was still wet with tears.

…………..

“Apu….Apu…….I am here,”

Apu turned back and saw a large figure with a long trunk hanging from his nose was sitting beside him on his bed.

“Aree…who are you?”

“I am Ganpati, your friend, for whom you were waiting to meet…”

“Ganpati…” Apu gazed at Ganpati in disbelief, “but you were supposed to come in the morning na?”

“I came especially for you…see…I have brought laddoos and gifts for you…would you like to be my friend, Apu?” This cute teddy with imploring eyes brought a gift of friendship that was sure to melt the heart.

“Yes Ganpati, but I want something more than these gifts…will you give me that?”

“Yeah sure, anything for my dear Apu…we are now friends; aren’t we?”

“Yes… we are…” Apu stopped for a second and then continued, “Ganpati, I want my Baba, please give me my Baba.”

Ganpati smiled and kissed Apu’s forehead, and said, “Sure Apu…I promise…you will meet your Baba very soon.”

“Tomorrow?” Apu asked excitedly.

“No…but soon you will meet your Baba, it’s my promise.”

“Thank You Ganpati,” Apu smiled all the while struggling with the gifts in his hands.

…………

“Apu…Apu…get up son…its eight’ o clock already,” Aayi called out Apu from the kitchen.

Apu got up rubbing his eyes with sight of Ganpati still fresh in mind. The sharp rays of sun coming through the windows made seeing clearly a little difficult. As soon as his eyes could bear the light, he looked around for Ganpati but there was no one. For a moment, he was stung by deep sadness. As he walked toward the bathroom, his eyes stopped at the few wrapped packet of laddoos and gifts on a table in the corner. Suddenly, he felt a spring added in his steps. Apu ran towards the kitchen.

“Aayi, do you know whom I met last night?” Apu said standing near the pot. His eyes had a glint of joy, shining through his merry voice.

“Last night? No, I don’t know,” Aayi could sense his cheery mood so she too pitched in with her chirpiness, “who was it haan?”

“Ganpati!” Apu grinned with full gusto as he came nearer to his mother.

“Really??” she was pleasantly surprised to hear this, “then what happened, Apu?”

“Yes Aayi, Ganpati was sitting with me on my bed,” Apu pointed towards his bed and continued in his pleased tone, “Ganpati is so nice, and he gave me laddoos and gifts. Didn’t you see the gifts kept on the table near T.V.?”

nmalik121
September 27th, 2007, 12:13 AM
“Wow…” she sat next to him on the floor. She was enjoying this sweet conversation and Apu’s bright mood, “So Ganpati brought those gifts for my lovely son? I am so happy.”

“Yes…and there is one surprise for you.” Apu was excited.

“Another surprise…what is that?” She smiled and turned to him, tousling his hair with affection.

“Guess?” Apu said rolling his eyes.

“Please tell na,” Aayi showed artificial curiosity.

“Ganpati has promised me to give my Baba very soon, just little wait and he will be with us again,” his voice raised as he finished.

For one moment, she was shocked. She thought that Apu is happy because of gifts she had bought for him in the morning and had forgotten about his Baba. But, he was still looking for his Baba. She stood like a statue staring at him with sadness in her eyes. Suddenly she held him close to her bosom with a passionate cry.

“Apu…my son…your Baba will never come…never ever…” she revealed the bare truth.

“No, he will surely come; my friend Ganpati has promised me to give me my Baba. Ganpati won’t lie to me, Aayi,” he said, coming out of her arms. Apu’s desperation of shattered hope was obvious in his sound.

“My son…please understand…and then…I am with you na, your mother is with you, Apu,” she almost pleaded.

“But I want Baba too,” Apu said bluntly. Ganpati’s promise had made Apu more convinced.

The mother kept looking at the sheer stubbornness or say, determination of six-years old with her empty eyes.

………..

Shouts of “Ganpati bappa Morya… pudchya varshi lavkar ya”, beating drums, devotional songs, accompanied the procession converged towards the beach to immerse the holy idols in the sea. The teenagers, elders and children sprinkled gulal while dancing to the tune of drums amidst the chanting of ‘Ganesh Maharaj Ki Jai!’ and ‘Ganpati bappa morya’ loudly. Many other followers were inching along in the flooded street.

At sunset, loaded down with enthusiasm, their faces happy, their shouts filling the air with Ganpati charm, procession came near to Apu’s home. Apu brought his face out of the school book, got up from the bed and ran towards the door. Aai looked at Apu with concerned eyes. Even before she could stop him, Apu had crossed the threshold and started chanting “Ganpati bappa Morya… pudchya varshi lavkar ya” in his soft voice which drowned in the heavy drumming. She could see Apu from the courtyard swing.

Apu turned, came inside and stood in front of her. His eyes were glued to her face, questioning his mother. Apu’s eyes, she could see, were searching for permission to go for the immersion. They were pleading her to take him to the sea.

He was patient from past ten days just because what really mattered at all was Ganpati, his friend’s assurance to him. She got up from the swing and walked up to Apu. She had given up on everything she could do to make Apu accept the truth. But a child’s heart knew nothing of worldly logics. For him, Ganpati’s promise was the biggest reason to ignore the rest of world.

“Apu,” Aai said looking at Apu smiling, “I am going to beach, do you want to come along or you want to stay here and finish your homework?”

It brightened up his heart and brought in a feeling of inexplicable joy on his face. Apu was bit hesitating or say, afraid to request his mother but here Aai herself was asking him to go for the same.

She locked the door and joined the procession with Apu.

Vast stretches of polluted sands, bathed in the golden sunshine were a spectacular sight to watch. A light drizzle had failed to dampen the spirit of revelers swinging to the tunes of traditional dhol and tashas and sprinkling of gulal, vermilion. All this way, Apu, full of joy, holding his mother’s hand, was chanting loudly with other devotees. Dadar chowpaty was packed with surging mass of humanity as the idols of Ganesh were carried towards their watery rest among chants.

As the moment of immersion was approaching fast, Apu was getting restless. He was looking all around, to all the strange faces in large crowd, searching for his Baba. Every passing second was making him restless. She was conscious of his impatience and was worried too for Apu’s impulsive reaction. The red color gulal wet with rain drops was merged in Apu’s white check shirt.

Curtains finally rolled down on the 10-day Ganesh festival, as people bid adieu to the elephant-headed-God amidst chants of “Ganpati bappa Morya… pudchya varshi lavkar ya”.

Ganesh idol were immersed in the sea where special arrangements were made for immersion of 21 feet tall Ganesh idol. Apu, standing on the shore of the sea, found his last hope of meeting his Baba, going away deep into the water.

With barely any time to think, let alone act for mother, Apu sprang upon his feet and ran towards the sea with stalwart resolve. He got the strong power to run hard even with his tiny steps. As he ran through, her hands trembled and heartbeat sped up.

nmalik121
September 27th, 2007, 12:14 AM
“Apu…stop son….Apu stop,” she shouted with all her strength. But Apu made no answer. Apu was now standing in the mid of waves, trying to see a glimpse of his friend Ganesha. His eyes scanned every tiny drop of water looking for Ganesha who was immersing fast in the sea.

“Ganpati…” Apu shouted, “Where is my Baba, please give me my Baba Ganpati.”

The moment Aai saw Apu, a strong wave rolled and pushed him towards the sea. An eerie cry broke from Apu, his breathe choking in his throat. Apu was drowning. She too ran hard and sprang into the sea, arms outstretched. She cried out in pain trying to hold his hand. But waves were too strong for Apu’s little body.

Throwing her hands around in the deep water, she somehow managed to swim with her amateur swimming skills, but there was no sign of her son. Her worst fear had come true. Apu was drowned. Her lips felt the salty water as it mixed with her tears. Suddenly one wave rolled up, splashed over her.

As some of the water went down her neck, she saw a little glimpse of Apu, trying hard to come up against strong wave; she mustered her courage and moved ahead. Slipping, stumbling, she continued to struggle against the python of waves and for a moment caught hold of Apu’s hand. One false move could spell death. Apu too hold his Aai’s hand tightly like the drowning man would clutch at straws. Within few moments, Apu was sitting on the shore, breathless and gasping. It took few minutes for Apu to come to his senses.

Few people including Shibu’s mother, who witnessed all this, were amazed at mother’s undying spirit and courage she showed to save her son.

“What a brave woman she is?” a man gushed standing at the shore.

“She has done something that a father could have done to save his son,” another man said.

“Who needs a father when one has such brave loving mother? She is more than a father to her son,” Shibu’s mother said smilingly.

Apu heard everything attentively. He looked towards the sky and whispered, “I got my Baba, Ganpati, I got my Baba…” Apu stretched his arms to hug his Aayi. Today she was a complete mother. Her soul was smiling through her tears. That night a new moon rose, showering its soothing light on giant sea and broken souls equally.

………….

(“Ganpati bappa Morya… pudchya varshi lavkar ya” --- Come back soon next year, Oh Victorious Lord Ganesh).