PDA

View Full Version : Senior citizen's international day---1st October

dahiyars
September 30th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Dear All

Tomorrow we have International Senior Citizen's Day. All regards and best wishes to the senior citizen's of the world and of Haryana in particular!

In India they are forgotten and uncared for. There are the bunch of people, many of them had brought green revolution for us, many had made all these shining buildings for us, many had opportunity to settle abroad, instead have chosen to serve the motherland in Defence, or in civil service against emolument that was too meagre. If India is shining, if we have a proud legacy, if we are at the threshold to be the power to influence the world, it was largely due to the sacrifice and contribution made by the senior citizens of India. Truly in spirit and act they have sacrificed material prosperity and prime life time, for gifting the next generation a base to prospect and flourish. It is the India today. Their number is about 7-8 crore( total population of many countries)

I am yet to see senior citizen's line in hospitals, or a hospital ward specially for senior citizens. On the other hand depression problem is increasing in them and the suicide tendencies also beside the long age diseases.

Old age home in India as in developed countries cannot be the answer in Indian context. Then how to take care of our bujurg?

R.S.Dahiya

poonam
October 1st, 2007, 09:11 PM
Dear All

Tomorrow we have International Senior Citizen's Day. All regards and best wishes to the senior citizen's of the world and of Haryana in particular!

In India they are forgotten and uncared for. There are the bunch of people, many of them had brought green revolution for us, many had made all these shining buildings for us, many had opportunity to settle abroad, instead have chosen to serve the motherland in Defence, or in civil service against emolument that was too meagre. If India is shining, if we have a proud legacy, if we are at the threshold to be the power to influence the world, it was largely due to the sacrifice and contribution made by the senior citizens of India. Truly in spirit and act they have sacrificed material prosperity and prime life time, for gifting the next generation a base to prospect and flourish. It is the India today. Their number is about 7-8 crore( total population of many countries)

I am yet to see senior citizen's line in hospitals, or a hospital ward specially for senior citizens. On the other hand depression problem is increasing in them and the suicide tendencies also beside the long age diseases.

Old age home in India as in developed countries cannot be the answer in Indian context. Then how to take care of our bujurg?

R.S.Dahiya

Dear Dahiya Sir, every word is true and touching, My heart goes out for them. I dont know what can be done but (1) as you said, seperate lines in hospitals and other places etc (2) Making their commuting (buses, trains etc) free or very very minimal and reserved seats for them (3)last but not the least, some kind of awareness should be spread, perhaps through TV etc to respect (to say the least) the senior ciitizens which is most important of all and no law can make people to do that.

But one question, how could kids abandon their parents, that too in Indian context. I know this needs itself a separate thread and discussion at length. Barring those where parents dont want to live where kids work (abroad or a different city for eg), or for any other reasons, rest of us are surely guilty!!

shashiverma
October 1st, 2007, 09:54 PM
As far as paying respect is concerned I think most of the indians fortunately do still respect elderly people relative to any other part of the world. But inspite of all this we do have a problem in hand as mentioned by you.
The best institute I can think of is the home where kids can be taught to stay in harmony with the bujurgs of family. Its not the book and statistics which teaches us how to live with people but the atmosphere and experience decide how we behave with other individual. Its not easy because of the associated problems of old age and differences in attitudes (due to wat we call generation gap) but if we have seen how our parents handle the situation and how we do then only it would be possible for us to convey it to the coming generations. Its no point preaching the lessons if we ourself are not willing to be a part of it. So if we want to get rid of this problem we have to start from our own relations. There are good enough examples at our own houses to sort out and this would automatically resolve the problem of the society.
It is for us to decide how to carry on with this relation so that the bujurgs of the family do not feel neglected and at the same time the kids do not feel that there is too much interference in their lifes. I am sure this is defenitely going to be benefical to the family as whole, as together we learn a lot from each other. But at the same time I would also like to point out that Bujurgs should also behave like the most experienced and senior most person of the family, as respect is something you earn by your action. I know this statement do not sound appropriate here but some of the incidents I have come across in day to day life made me write this line. I know as kids they also ignore many of our mistakes and so y canĀ“t we. But still...relations are a bit more complex and sometimes do not work even u being very logical.

devdahiya
October 1st, 2007, 10:18 PM
When they were young, they brought us on this earth and made sure we enjoy every moment.While we were growing..we were the dreams of their eyes...their hope...their every thing.They could sacrifice any and every thing for our happiness without the blink of an eye lid.

When they are helpless...we are enjoying...we find them stinking...a problem......a liability.Please for God sake.....Lift them on your head and keep them close to your heart...they are precious and unique.They deserve our best of care,sacrifice and quality time.......Hope we IDIOTS are listening?

I will sacrifice my life for my parents in a friction of a second if time so demands.

dkumars
October 1st, 2007, 11:09 PM
When they were young, they brought us on this earth and made sure we enjoy every moment.While we were growing..we were the dreams of their eyes...their hope...their every thing.They could sacrifice any and every thing for our happiness without the blink of an eye lid.

When they are helpless...we are enjoying...we find them stinking...a problem......a liability.Please for God sake.....Lift them on your head and keep them close to your heart...they are precious and unique.They deserve our best of care,sacrifice and quality time.......Hope we IDIOTS are listening?

I will sacrifice my life for my parents in a friction of a second if time so demands.

Yeah Dahiya Saab this idot is listening and will take all possible care of my parents as well as our other senior citizens...
Thanks for the post and kp on posting same stuff to remind the youth abt their responsibilities... Although responsibilities are understood not reminded but anyways good post sir...

paveldahiya
October 1st, 2007, 11:43 PM
After 60 Yrs of Independence, INDIA also comes under senior Citizen category.....
So, I'll try to take care of it...Other senior citizens or not so senior citizens
will be included in this package free of cost. :D..Tnx alot kaka for bring up such a relevant and eye opening issue...:)

poonam
October 2nd, 2007, 08:32 AM
Yeah Dahiya Saab this idot is listening and will take all possible care of my parents as well as our other senior citizens... ...

Good Boy!!..:)

devdahiya
October 2nd, 2007, 11:09 AM

Good appreciation.

dkumars
October 2nd, 2007, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the appreciation:)

dahiyars
October 3rd, 2007, 08:37 PM
Resp poonam ji ,Shashi ji. Dev ji, Pavel ji, D kumarji ,

Thanks a lot for responding to the complex issue.Generation Gap is of course there . It is a question of mutual adjustment. It was in 1977, when we were married. We wanted to go to see a movie. we asked my father. He replied, " How can I allow a thing to my kids which I have not done in my life." Really a moral situation for us. we resolved that we will go to movie but not not as frequently as we wish so that the feelings of the elder are hurt minimum. May be many more situations like this. But the situation has becomr more difficult to adjust with the younger generation in general not in particular. We are adjusting very well with the younger generation also. Indian situation is peculiar and stillmore peculiar situation in Haryana. lot of inputs are required to understand the comlexities pointed out by Shash and Poonam ji.

Ch Devi lal gave a respect to senior ctizens of haryana by giving them "Old age pension"

R.S.Dahiya

jitendershooda
October 4th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Ch Devi lal gave a respect to senior ctizens of haryana by giving them "Old age pension"
R.S.Dahiya

Uncle ji, aacha topic leke aae aap .... you are right that Ch. Devilal gave respect to senior citizens and this Old age pension make them this much self dependent that they can .... buy beedi, tambakho etc. ... koe chori-bateu aajya to us tahi 10 rs den ne choryan-bahuan aage hath na pasarne padein ...

Kae jagah dekhya hai mene ek Boodhe pahelyan to apni jameen bant denge er pher balak unki seva karein na .... we hande bichare gali demte uneh .... kae jagah to kaid karke rakhe sein, kite oothan-baithan dein na ....

So, as you have asked what can be done to improve their position ....

"Govt. should bring a provision that Bujurg cant divide their share completly among their child. They can have only vasiyat kind of thing with a clause that he can change it if the guy is not helping him. An awareness should be there among oldies about their rights and these can be obtained from some panchayat office in villages"

I have already quoted once here about an old lady who was travelling from Rohtak to Nangloi. She was sitting besides me, She said beta mene Nangloi utarna hai Thane dhore .... maka tai tar dunga rukva ke. Thodi der mein pher .... pher samjhai ..... pher nue boli ek bhai kade na tare yo ,.... maka tai nye chintya na kare mein aap taar dyunga ... Itni haan mein ron lag-gi ... pher ek aur baithi thi adhed umar ki wa boojhan lagi to batai ... ek mein khadwali ki sun er mere 4 chore hein ... 3 aache afsar sein ... er eeb jis dhore jaon sun wo auto chalve se .... mein nue chali gae thi afsar dhore ek meri aankh banva dega ... par 2 din rakh ke ee aaj mere gohj mein 50 ka note ghal ke mein bitha di .... eeb yo bichara gareeb kukar ke karvavega ,..... mene sari apni jaydad bant di .... ankhyan mein ke paani pade bichari ke ....

So these kind of situations mostly occur due to the lack of knowledge of rights .... Paisa hoe te itna to hoga ek ye log nue shareer te dukhi na honge ... er paisa hoga in dhore to ye balak bhi kadar karenge lobh mein ... haan respect er time aali baat to aaj ke time pe dikkat se. This is not that only oldies are not getting respect, this trait is decreasing in overall behaviour itself.