PDA

View Full Version : Documentary Filmmaking

manojsehrawat
October 30th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Hi everyone,

i'm currently doing graduation and also a software engineering course from NIIT but i want to take documentary film making as my profession
can anybody guide me how to start. I don't want to enter the corporate world instead i want to tell the stories of villages in india

ssindhu
October 31st, 2007, 11:52 AM
Hi everyone,

i'm currently doing graduation and also a software engineering course from NIIT but i want to take documentary film making as my profession
can anybody guide me how to start. I don't want to enter the corporate world instead i want to tell the stories of villages in india
first pursue a course in filmaking and then i will suggest that you start with DD. no other channel allocates as much funds for rural projects as much DD does, the only prob is DD people dont take it seriously. For filmmaking FTII, Pune is no. 1 in india. diploma course you can pursue from YMCA, delhi also

manojsehrawat
October 31st, 2007, 08:04 PM
Thanks for your help i must have to join some filmmaking. But i don't want any DD to help me out on my carrier even i don't think that its a carrier. I want to make films because i want to satisfy my soul. i wanted to become an independant documentary filmmaker. Will you please tell me is it right to go against my parents cause they want me to do some 9-5 job which i'm not.
well thanks again for your help very much

ssindhu
November 1st, 2007, 10:37 AM
Thanks for your help i must have to join some filmmaking. But i don't want any DD to help me out on my carrier even i don't think that its a carrier. I want to make films because i want to satisfy my soul. i wanted to become an independant documentary filmmaker. Will you please tell me is it right to go against my parents cause they want me to do some 9-5 job which i'm not.
well thanks again for your help very much
well it might sound bit rebellion, but personally i think that there has to be some individuality line between all the relations. you must follow your heart more than anybody else because you only will do job, not your parents. so the choice in any case should be yours. career and marriage are two very personal things. decision has to be the person's only

bls31
November 1st, 2007, 01:18 PM
well it might sound bit rebellion, but personally i think that there has to be some individuality line between all the relations. you must follow your heart more than anybody else because you only will do job, not your parents. so the choice in any case should be yours. career and marriage are two very personal things. decision has to be the person's only

Youth has ambition to fly some times on wings that are still not strong enough. So one need to be careful and cautious.

About producing documentaries making involves , many more facets,:Story , Script, Location, Equipment , Finance and a one has to form a team . Photographer, sound recordist, Light man etc etc. First you do a course of at least three months in Production and direction. Getting in film institute POONA is not easy I myself did a course , when I was all of sixty years at AAFT Noida specializing in Videography.Post the course you will also realize as to how serious you are in your mission BLS

raj2rif
November 1st, 2007, 04:26 PM
The most important aspect of film making is writing a script and then converting it into screen play.

My son had graduated from Tish School of Arts, New York University, with a GPA which I shall ever remain very proud. (3.94/4.0, with 77 credits in 2 years).

What he tells me that he has learnt more on the job than in the school. It was expensive education, but I did it for only one reason, I could not pursue a career in films even though I got selected for FTI Pune when doing my Bachelors degree. Well probably, that was a blessing for I loved being a soldier even though it was not by design, and would love to be part of the same battalion if incarnation of soul is a true thing.

I guess, make a plan first. I shall speak to my son, and may be he can guide you. There are couple of Jatlanders who are into film making and may be of more help to you, then us who just have a vague idea.

Another important aspect is, finance. Unfortunately, it is difficult to get financing for a new venture specially if it is not commercial. Film making does cost a lot of money.

I believe what Seema has said. Career you must choose that you like. Not all of us are lucky in that, as at the end of the day one has to put food on the table specially if you are the sole bread winner of your household. My son told me one thing which I really liked: He told me "Dad, I don't want to make a lot of money, but I want to adopt a career which I can enjoy doing for rest of my life." I think it is a great thought. If you do what you enjoy, the success is just a matter of time.

I wish you good luck in your venture. It is a good cause and you must fulfill the desire of your soul as it would help a lot of people too. If I could be of any help, please don't hesitate to write a personal email, or a phone call.

crsnadar
November 2nd, 2007, 08:00 PM
Strive out hard enough to make your dreams come true......man..!

All the best

sidchhikara
November 2nd, 2007, 09:34 PM
Pick up a camera and start shooting - put your clips on youtube. See if you get a good response.

desijat
November 2nd, 2007, 11:37 PM
Alternatively, try and make short 5 minute movies. They are best and most inexpensive alternate to showcase your talent and try for some funding.

I think this should help - http://www.freedomfilmsindia.org/