PDA

View Full Version : Do anybody know what is "Halloweens day"?

ravileo
November 3rd, 2007, 10:55 AM
Hey JLs

How many you know about Halloweens day?
If you know about the day plz. share your knowledge not only with me but all of us.

I only know that it is celebrated in US
or some western countries.:confused:

dndeswal
November 3rd, 2007, 08:47 PM

During my stay in the US, I was amazed to see American kids begging candies from door to door and elders busy in wearing horror-masks, looking like ghosts, on 31st October. One American friend explained that Halloween is basically the crop festival. Today, technology has made our life easy but just a few centuries back, life was totally dependant on agriculture all over the world. In Europe or in North America, harvesting of crops completes by end-October before the start of severe winter.

Most of the festivals all the over the world have their roots in agriculture – in India too. Even Diwali and Holi are crop festivals despite several folk-tales attached to them in course of time.

See the following link for finding more information about Halloween:

http://www.holidays.net/halloween/story.htm (http://www.holidays.net/halloween/story.htm)

ravileo
November 4th, 2007, 06:46 PM
thank you sir
For sharing such a nice information with all.

I have also come to know that people there make feirce faces by cutting huge pumpkings.

shashiverma
November 5th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Well the way it is celebrated nowdays.......Its about fooling world by making fool of yourself.

ravileo
November 5th, 2007, 09:32 PM
plz. tell shashji in detail.

thank you

ritu
November 7th, 2007, 07:56 AM
ravi halloveen is like lohri festival of punjab.like lohri on halloveen kids go door to door for candies and say trick or treat.kids and even adults wear scary costumes and decorate their houses with ghostly images.

aabhisheksirohi
November 7th, 2007, 11:37 AM
How many you know about Halloweens day?

Brother !!

You can phrase Halloweens Day as "Desi Bhoot Day" !! ;):p

ravileo
November 8th, 2007, 07:33 AM
desi bhoot day.......... yahan per India mein kab se shuru hoova

Maniisha
November 8th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Hey Ravi..:)
While browsing through some site i came across this which i want to share with u all ...:)

The word "Halloween" is derived from All Hallows Eve, which occurs on November 1. The "All Hollows Day" or "All Saints Day". It is an important date on the Catholic calendar, a time to observe and honor saints.

People believed that the souls of the dead come back to earth to visit their families or friends. People began to call November 1st as a holy or "Hallowed" day. It was to be called Al Hallow's Day. Which was later shortened to what we know today as Halloween.

In the 5th century BC, in Celtic Ireland, summer officially ended on October 31. This was called Samhain pronounced sow-en). This was the Celtic New Year.

The disembodied spirits of everyone who had died throughout the year would return to seek living bodies to possess for the following year. It was their aterlife or Panati.

On the night of October 31, all those living used to extinguish fires in their homes and make them cold and undesirable. They also dressed in ghoulish costumes and made noisy parades as a way to discourage and frighten away these spirits.

Several stories spak of Celts burning someone at the stake who was perceived to be evil or possessed, as a demonstration to those spirits.

In the first century AD, Romans abandoned the sacrifice of humans in favor of burning effigies.

Over the centuries, as people became less believing in the supernatural, the practices became more ritualized. However people still enjoyed dressing up as: hobgoblins, ghosts, and witches. This became increasingly more ceremonial.

In the 1840's, Halloween traditions were brought to America by Irish immigrants fleeing their country's potato famine.

The favorite pranks in New England included tipping over outhouses and unhinging fence gates.

Trick-or-Treating is believed to have originated with a ninth-century European custom called "souling". All Souls Day (November 2), early Christians used to walk from village to village begging for "soul cakes". These cakes were made out of square pieces of bread with currants. The more soul cakes the beggars would receive, the more prayers they would promise to say on behalf of the dead relatives of the donors. At the time, it was believed that the dead remained in limbo after death. People thought that prayers could help hasten a soul's passage to heaven.

Jack O'Lantern's Story is fascinating one about the Irishman named Jack who was a notorious drunkard and trickster.

Halloween has grown out of rituals of the Celts celebrating a new year, from Medieval prayer rituals of Europeans, and the Irish legend of Jack O'Lantern.