PDA

View Full Version : Dark Delhi Diwali

sumitsehrawat
January 8th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Hello friends,

Felt like sharing something from my past life. This I had written during during the Diwali time in 2005. The message still remains the same.

-----------------

Dark Delhi Diwali

Don't think putting my real life experiences on paper would ever stop. Yes, things have been happening in my life. A saline experience I would term this one as. It was the biggest terrorist strike ever in Delhi. It was a festive weekend gone horribly wrong. Three bombs and Delhi went haywire.

Two days to Diwali, Dhanteras eve it was. People usually buy new utensils/vessels on this day, buying element silver in any form is considered as auspicious. 29th Oct 2005 was no different. Like the other parts of the capital, Sarojini Nagar too was crowded. I happened to visit the ever reliable SN market the same evening with Devender, a close pal who stays in the near-by Laxmibai Nagar. Spent about 5 minutes waiting for my turn in the public toilet. Little did I know how crucial these 5 minutes would turn out for me. Five minutes that I would remember all my life. People could hardly move in the heavily crowded SN market. Despite this we entered and had just moved about 20 meters when the sound of a loud explosion ran through our ears. What followed was absolute silence. Shocked and astonished I stood there. Feet trembled for a second.

"It must have been a heck of a cracker" came from Devender's lips. I thought I fooled myself in public. Nobody seemed to care. No exclamations. Everybody around me observed the sky for a second and continued moving. Two minutes later "A cylinder burst....a cylinder burst" cries were heard from some stranger who was closing in for the exit. I could see people making space and moving out of the market as early as they could. We could sense some residual matter in the market air, later we would know it was smell of burnt human skin. While Devender and I were discussing how important it is for people to keep their calm and not to panic in such a situation, a bomb call came from somewhere near. Internally terrified (though I never show that with my outer self), I thought of calling up my parents informing them about my safety. Second later I realized roaming on my cell was not activated. As I looked forward police constables were entering the market telling people to move out. They slapped and hit with their batons some of the hawkers and fragile looking people on their way inside. Later I would feel I could have stayed but it all happened with such haste that we made an exit. Huge black smoke covering almost the entire sky we noticed as we looked back to the place we just rushed out from.

Now, I could see people running frantically, helter-skelter, some without their footwear, towards the market as we moved into the Sarojini Nagar housing society. We could make out their love for their loved ones. "Quite natural" I thought, only later I would know it was a bomb blast with so many casualties. Reached Devender's home and called up at my home number.

"WHERE ARE YOU??? ARE YOU OK????" yelled my mother half crying half speaking on the phone. She knew I had gone to the SN market. Earlier in the day I had remarked "...will bring a sack full of fresh fruits from SN" as I left my Mahipalpur home. Got to know about the blasts from her and thanked God for all in my family, of course except me, were at home. "It would take me some time to reach home. The roads around this place are jammed. Cell isn't working; call me on Devender's number if you need to. I am here till things outside clear up." was enough to calm my mother, I thought. Mother's love, undoubtedly, is something which has no bounds. Its holy huge, immense, deep and sacred. I cried a few tears while whispering "I love you Mom" as I put the phone down. On the contrary, I knew she wouldn't rest until she sees me next. Forthwith, I rushed for my home and quite luckily I reached back in about 20-25 minutes only to find my mother waiting for me on the main gate of my house, my temple. She knew I would rush, she knew how much I care about her, loved her. She knows everything.

Got a few scoldings from Dad. Fathers are like that only, no matter how good or bad right or wrong you do they always keep few scoldings reserved for you. Quite a different stare from my innocent-faced brother followed. Got to know about the severity of the blasts only when I sat in front of an already switched ON TV. Had no other option but to say a big "sorry" (yes, finger tips touching the bottom part of my ears) to my family for taking such a risk and promised them never to go out to any market or any crowded place during and/or on festive occasions. But again, such incidents can happen anytime anywhere. I do not trust the culprits.

Once again, my memories flash back to the five minutes I spent in the public toilet. How important they were for me. Had it not been the case, in all probability I would have been on the famous, now infamous "Shyam Lal" fruit stall having my share of juices. Lucky me. The blast took place near the same fruit shop where I have had numerous glasses of juice since my childhood days. What an escape. The same place now resembles a war-zone, it is heard.

Felt very sorry for the family members of all those who lost their lives. Maybe I could have done something better for the people with wounds but very frankly speaking I could do nothing. It never came to my mind. Maybe I am not that generous but certainly, I need to be. My family was the only thing I thought of that time. I regret for not offering any help to people in need. I accept my insincerity, my negligence. But at the same time, from the bottom of my heart I know how badly I would have loved to help.

60 people died on the tragic Delhi evening, 37 alone in SN. I know I could have been one among them but God had other plans. He shielded me and I survived. For the time being, He did not have a place in his abode for me.

One of my grandfather's best friends, a very close family friend, a solicitor expired the same evening. At some other place, in Andra about 100 people met with a watery grave when a train derailed.

Tsunamis…earthquakes…drowning cities. It is happening all around us. Time for us to realise the value of our lives. We should enjoy and cherish every moment of our life for who knows tomorrow it could be our turn.

Life is beautiful, it really is. Let's live it peacefully. Let's forget the hatred we have inside each one of us. Let's spread love. Let's help each other. Let's serve humanity. Let nothing dampen our spirits.

Somewhere else in Delhi my cousin gives birth to a cute baby girl. Yes, life is beautiful.

Yes, this festival was about thanking God for being alive.

$umit
0115 hours, 31/10/2005
-----------------------

Thanks,
Sumit