PDA

View Full Version : why are we jats like this

pscil
January 11th, 2008, 10:36 PM
I quoted the fastest computing guy in the world Philip Emeagwali - Inventor and Computer Wizard but not a single comment on techonology the root of all evil. Technology which has enslaved us from generations but on a stupid thing like astrology we have many people commenting. I just want to ask how long will we enslaved before we become conscious of it.:mad::o:confused::(

skadian123
January 11th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Parvir ji,

Though I have not read your thread on the fastest computing guy, I am sure it must be an interesting read.

I very much agree with you when you say that we have time to go through pieces on astrology and the like but keep distance from thought provoking issues. There are some issues which concern and affect us all as a community but which do not elicit the response expected from an 'awakened community'. Time is running out before we either do something about it or tamely land up in a situation we as a community blissfully ignore. Well, the answer that comes to mind in those situations is that maybe this is not the right forum for those issues/concerns. This is where we differentiate ourselves from other communities in terms of community/collective efforts and networking. Unlike in the west where people rally around an issue and the way everyone associates with that issue in someway or the other is as is somewhat sadly evident some distance away as far as our community is concerned. It can only be hoped that in the interest of the community, we would someday come out of the 'I don't care' syndrome.

Anyways coming to your point of technology - a boon or a bane, I would like to say it's the biggest gift mankind has ever got. Though science and technology is being developed and practiced from time immemorial, a more structured form of it has evolved only in the last around two centuries or so. As it is rightly said 'with great power comes great responsibility', it is direction that we impart to the movement of science and technology. Two sides of the same coin - Nuclear energy for meeting the energy needs of mankind and the same nuclear energy for decimating the very existence of mankind - which use is better we all know - yet we have nuclear weapons developed and stockpiles maintained till date and moved on to the next level of space warfare.

pscil
January 12th, 2008, 10:02 PM
[QUOTE=skadian123;158781]Parvir ji,

Though I have not read your thread on the fastest computing guy, I am sure it must be an interesting read.

Hello Sunil

Please read below his thoughts :

"Historically technology has been used by the powerful to exploit the weak. Today with the internet the tool of wisdom should be used to prepare our great journey into the cyberspace of the future. Our image of the future inspires our present and the present serves to create the future".

This should provoke in us thoughts to harness technology to come out of the drudgery our many generations have faced and the wars we have lost due to the lack of technology. I wish to believe that we are one of the bravest and fiercest races in the world, but not keeping pace with technology has marginalized us in the current scenario.

Thanks for your thoughts Sunil. I wish more can speak on this burning issue.

Regards
Parvir

neels
January 13th, 2008, 01:38 PM
"Historically technology has been used by the powerful to exploit the weak. Today with the internet the tool of wisdom should be used to prepare our great journey into the cyberspace of the future. Our image of the future inspires our present and the present serves to create the future".

Not only historically,,, still the scenario is quite similar. Otherwise the debate on the launch of Tata's Nano-The Rs. 1 Lakh Car- would not have triggered. The Upper class of Indians were never so conscious and worried about the issues like pollution/clean air, global warming, congestion on roads. Instead of welcoming the dream car of the millions, the resistance coming from a section of society is not because of the concering environmental issues or the scarcity of resources,, but that is the resistance to the democratisation of resouces that once seperated the rich from the poor.

Well coming to the technology's abuse or uses,,I fully agree to what Sunil has written. Every coin has two sides,,, its upon us if we look at the glass half full or at the glass half empty !!!

Yes India is dragging behind the developed countries for the lack of using technological resources at par. Thou' we have best of the best in every field of development,,, bt still we are not able to match pace. If try to narrow down on the factors responsible for this slower pace , then we find that the discrimination between classes in India is much more than any of the developed countries. and many reasons behind this... poverty, lack of education.. and the biggest one- the enormous size of the population.

vijay
January 13th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Technology which has enslaved us from generations but on a stupid thing like astrology we have many people commenting.

There are a lot of examples, but i would like to mention a few of them here.

Aeroplanes :

Someone suggested the STUPID idea of making Aeroplanes. The very first reaction from the wise, learned and practical people :

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." (Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895)

Only a few years later Aeroplanes came into existance. Again same reaction on the Stupid invention :

"Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value." (Marshal Ferdinand Foch, French commander of Allied forces during the closing months of World War I, 1918)

Computers :

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." (Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943)

"There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home." (Ken Olsen, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977)

So, who was stupid and why ?
The people who wanted to discuss about their ideas or the people who discarded those ideas at first hand without any logical/technical discussion just becoz of their "i don't believe'' attitude !!! :)

vijay
January 13th, 2008, 06:38 PM
"Historically technology has been used by the powerful to exploit the weak".

I would like to disagree here that technology itself is the root of all evils. It's the human mind which is root of all the evil as after all it's human mind who use the technology ... for good or bad. Technology is a boon for mankind wothout any doubt provided that we know how and where to use it.

Bring forward any technical invention that can be used for bad purpose ( read Evil ) only. Nuclear Energy, Computers, Dynamite, Klashnikovs, Explosives everything was invented to serve us humans. But if we want to be bad master than why to blame technology. Bad guys will remain bad guys, with or without the technology. So it's better to arm ourselves with the latest technology rather than accusing the medium.

Germans designed missiles to destroy major British and French cities during World War 2 and Soviets took few of those missiles with them back home after the war. They studied the technology and created history by designing rockets/spacecrafts. The way it must be used.

Good and bad use of technology will be there as long as we are using it. Bad guys wud keep using it to harm mankind while gud people will continue to counter attack with latest enhancements.

It's not right to say that powerful use technology to exploits the weaks but instead we can conclude that its the technology which make us powerful :)

This should provoke in us thoughts to harness technology to come out of the drudgery our many generations have faced and the wars we have lost due to the lack of technology. I wish to believe that we are one of the bravest and fiercest races in the world, but not keeping pace with technology has marginalized us in the current scenario.

Regarding India, yes i agree that we are not upto the mark where we should be. I think poor education is the major factor behind this. First of all education is not available to everybody, secondly people can't study due to poverty and/or some other issues and finally ( most important ) the courseware (syllabus) we study is hardly revised or updated since last 60 years ( after Independence ). What is being updated is just a few chapters on some political figures instead of making the courseware technology oriented ( read as career oriented too). This scenario hardly motivate people to study if they have to choose only one option either study or work to earn bread.

asuhag
January 14th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Ever wondered why there are so few inventors / innovators in India as compared to other western countries?

The top 2 reasons that come to my mind are:

1) There are way too many bozos in India who will grind you to the point that you have either no desire or enthusiasm left for the adventure, it takes to create something new.

2) Then there are the second kind of bozos - whom i call "excess baggage" and their job is to pull you down or drag your progress or will to progress. They do this by not appreciating the new/good and instead combat it with stupid counter logic and drag you down. This excess baggage are slowing down the country & dragging our development.

Indian's on the average are far more smarter & academically more potent than compared to those in the developed countries but it's only our inhibitions to appreciate technology, the "Value of creating the new", very little encouragement from the govt & people and worse in many cases the habit to rest on old laurels - drag us down or brain drain the talent to other countries which happily welcome our genius.

Go back 10 years from now & take a look how Indians dominated the world of technology, even if their mother country had changed. Look at now & you will see so many other races have come up... Chineese & Pakistanis topping the list!

asuhag
January 14th, 2008, 03:28 AM
[quote=neels;158900] Not only historically,,, still the scenario is quite similar. Otherwise the debate on the launch of Tata's Nano-The Rs. 1 Lakh Car- would not have triggered....
/quote]
Now this may take the topic of fthe original thread but I would like to disagree here a little ... Very little :)

While I appreciate Ratan Tata's resolve & innvoation and I'm quite proud of him for the achievement, I'm quite concerned in general about the potential it carries to give a beating to India's (current) infrastructure & environment!

I've been upset with our Govt. (even before the launch of Nano) for failing to foresee the growing car sales & make arrangements to create infrastructure to support it while also ensuring checks are in place to rein in air pollution & other environmental hazzards. This applies to all types of automobiles & all brands alike!

I'm not talking from the point of creating a divide between the rich & the poor but I'm altogether on a different plane which however will take a solid beating due to the Nano innovation. This is largely because we as a nation are not ready for this!

The Nano may emit much less than several other brands esp their diesel variants but what makes Nano the most dangerous is the multiplier effect it will create!

Multiply the number of cars; Road infrastructure, parkings failing to multiply with similar effect will further clog the roads & create chaos. The larger the jams & for greater the duration, the longer the engine runs consuming fuel & emitting harmful stuff polluting the air further. From psychological perspective too I see the situation leading to greater agression on the road, fighing for space, further flouting of traffic rules... and all this is because we're simply not ready for it. Be it infrastructure, load on environment or behaviorally... though only time'll tell, I personally believe we aren't quite there to take it.

I'd like to share a personal experience. For the last 4-5 years I've been away from Delhi, the city that had been home since birth. It used to have extremely polluted air, with haze due to smog & other factors reducing visibility to less than 50m even on a clear evening. Then the govt woke up and threw out all 2 stroke engines, factories & brought in the CNG. Within a year's time the Air was so much more cleaner. Infrastructure was also being worked. Roads widened, flyovers, traffic was planned, greater regulation & even the people seemed to have developed a greater traffic sense. It was a joy to go out on a drive. It was easy for me to feel the change as i was visiting Delhi after almost 2 years post the implementation (I'm refering to Xmas of 2005).

Last I visited Delhi in Nov 2007 and if not worse, its back to being the same polluted and hazy city it was before the CNG drive. There's so much traffic... so many cars on the roads... It's crazy! No more clean air, no more joy to drive. The road rage has ever increased. Only I wonder what it'd be a year from the date Nano's out for sale!

asuhag
January 14th, 2008, 03:46 AM
I quoted the fastest computing guy in the world Philip Emeagwali - Inventor and Computer Wizard but not a single comment on techonology the root of all evil. Technology which has enslaved us from generations but on a stupid thing like astrology we have many people commenting. I just want to ask how long will we enslaved before we become conscious of it.:mad::o:confused::(

Uncle (as I fondly call you:)) may i suggest the title of this discussion be changed to a more appropriate one - especially now that the ball's rolling.

I wasn't even aware of this interesting thread as I didnt care to peep in simply cuz of the title. I initially had thought... 'Wo there starts another of those typically time wasting discussions!'

And sorry for having missed the original one - I normally just check the "New Posts & must've missed it. Also I had been keeping away from JL for it was making me sick!"

ssindhu
January 14th, 2008, 10:59 AM

if you meant the bold stuff (as i didn't read your referring thread), i must say this is the most foolish thought. SOME PEOPLE HAVE A PROBLEM FOR EVERY SOLUTION, and this thought comes straight from the perfect case of such example.

yashmalik
January 14th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Sir, no1 can awaken the unconsious awaken. Most of the members on this site are young lads in their early or middle 20s so these kind of technical and valuable informations dont turn them on. This is unfortunately true.

pscil
January 14th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Uncle (as I fondly call you:)) may i suggest the title of this discussion be changed to a more appropriate one - especially now that the ball's rolling.

I wasn't even aware of this interesting thread as I didnt care to peep in simply cuz of the title. I initially had thought... 'Wo there starts another of those typically time wasting discussions!'

And sorry for having missed the original one - I normally just check the "New Posts & must've missed it. Also I had been keeping away from JL for it was making me sick!"

I also better learn to stay away from JL more often,as it is also making me sick but Asish but these our people how ever sick they are. We can hope for the best, atleast we have guys like you so hang on maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel maybe not.

pscil
January 14th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Ever wondered why there are so few inventors / innovators in India as compared to other western countries?

The top 2 reasons that come to my mind are:

1) There are way too many bozos in India who will grind you to the point that you have either no desire or enthusiasm left for the adventure, it takes to create something new.

2) Then there are the second kind of bozos - whom i call "excess baggage" and their job is to pull you down or drag your progress or will to progress. They do this by not appreciating the new/good and instead combat it with stupid counter logic and drag you down. This excess baggage are slowing down the country & dragging our development.

Indian's on the average are far more smarter & academically more potent than compared to those in the developed countries but it's only our inhibitions to appreciate technology, the "Value of creating the new", very little encouragement from the govt & people and worse in many cases the habit to rest on old laurels - drag us down or brain drain the talent to other countries which happily welcome our genius.

Go back 10 years from now & take a look how Indians dominated the world of technology, even if their mother country had changed. Look at now & you will see so many other races have come up... Chineese & Pakistanis topping the list!
Asish good thoughts to appreciate anything in life you need an open mind not bogged down by archaic traditions and counter logic or in Sanskrit we call it vikhandvad. Please read the book “Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance” for a finer appreciation of quality and technology. Vivekananda said give me five people and I will change the fate of India but all his life he could not find a single person that is life

pscil
January 14th, 2008, 09:33 PM
if you meant the bold stuff (as i didn't read your referring thread), i must say this is the most foolish thought. SOME PEOPLE HAVE A PROBLEM FOR EVERY SOLUTION, and this thought comes straight from the perfect case of such example.

Aye hayat laye kajala chale chale tum bhi chali chalo jab thak chali chale

pscil
January 15th, 2008, 02:15 PM

Hello Asish

Please change the title do what you like as long as we move forward. Just something for you I managed to fish out.

Hi Guys especially Ali

Jalal ad-Din Rumi of the famous spiritual author, sufi mystic and poet says "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there".This corresponds exactly with the samabhava (equability) of the Gita which is the opposite of duality, which forms, the basis of thought of the entire western civilization. So there is something beyond love and hate beyond good and evil as Nietzsche tried to explain and that something is pure consciousness,or chetan in Sanskrit. For those who do not know Rumi please read him.

Also now I am reading Fourier the great french thinker, who talks about simplisism or mono logical thought compared to the dialogical and trans logical and that is a whole new world but on that later.Simplisism is what lead to newton not unraveling the laws of nature which Einstein managed to reveal through his relativity.

Parvir SINGH
:cool: