PDA

View Full Version : Impact of education

nehasinghaz
January 17th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I studied and thought a lot on this topic and still I am in dilemna. Does education really make a person a better human being ? Does it really civilise the people ?
After considerable deliberation I feel that education has not served its purpose fully with respect to the above mentioned aspect. It can help a person to attain a degree which leads him / her to fetch a fat remuneration. If we see the people who are educated they claim themselves as literate and civilised people but in reality most of the educated people of today's times behave immaturely and selfishly and contribute little to the society .
Our ancestors were not educated but they were better human beings than today's people. Knowledge should be utilised for the overall development of a human being's personality that eading to subsequent upliftment in the standard of living of both literate as well as illiterate people.
Only then we can say that education is playing a positive role in the development of the society

shailendra
January 17th, 2008, 11:27 PM
...sorry Neha, But I totally disagree with you on that statement! ("After considerable deliberation I feel that education has not served its purpose fully with respect to the above mentioned aspect")...

Education may not be the ONLY tool that makes us civil and better human beings; BUT it is definitely one of the MOST potent ones!!!

In my response also lies the answer to your question: Just like one cannot rely on Education as being the only tool... similarly one cannot place the blame on the doorstep of education alone, when it comes to the present ills of the society...
The fact of the matter is that were we to be all educated (at the basic minimum level) we would not be facing these very problems that have infiltrated and continue to nag our society ever since the times of our ancestors!

devdahiya
January 18th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I studied and thought a lot on this topic and still I am in dilemna. Does education really make a person a better human being ? Does it really civilise the people ?
After considerable deliberation I feel that education has not served its purpose fully with respect to the above mentioned aspect. It can help a person to attain a degree which leads him / her to fetch a fat remuneration. If we see the people who are educated they claim themselves as literate and civilised people but in reality most of the educated people of today's times behave immaturely and selfishly and contribute little to the society .
Our ancestors were not educated but they were better human beings than today's people. Knowledge should be utilised for the overall development of a human being's personality that eading to subsequent upliftment in the standard of living of both literate as well as illiterate people.
Only then we can say that education is playing a positive role in the development of the society

Now blaming Education will not be fair.There are no standard patterns of education.Education is not only what we get in schools and colleges...it is much beyond that....It starts at our homes as to what kind of atmosphere prevails in a particular house and what an individual learns from environment will leave a big mark on the psych of a person.No two individual are same in this world and there can not be two people who have been born and brought up in an identical atmosphere and hence generalization of this issue in itself will be unfair enough.There will be sensible people as well as unreasonable ones in every place because it is the INTERNAL WISDOM which drives us to behave in a particular manner and none of us are perfect and there is sou much to learn and life too short.In that sense we all are prone to commit mistakes and behave irrational to a certain degree depending upon the level of our learning and refinement.

True quality education must clean a person of Greed,Gluttony,False Ego,Hatred,Ill-will,Foul mouth,Anger and false pride.Thats what has been said in Geeta as well.But it is simpler said than done.

neels
January 18th, 2008, 12:31 AM

Gud Topic.
There's difference between being educated and being literate. Education is a very broad term encompassing many skills including the imparting of knowledge, positive judgment, well-developed wisdom and imparting of culture from generation to generation,,,,,, which our so called formal education system has failed to contribute.
The education of an individual human begins at birth and continues throughout life. One should never be dependent only on the formal education system to be really educated. The struggles and triumphs of daily life provide far more instruction than does formal schooling. Remember Mark Twain's admonition to "never let school interfere with your education".

shailendra
January 18th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Gud Topic.
Education is a very broad term encompassing many skills including the imparting of knowledge, positive judgment, well-developed wisdom and imparting of culture from generation to generation,,,,,, which our so called formal education system has failed to contribute.

...Wow, where did that come from??? You are saying the imparting of knowledge, positive judgment, well-developed wisdom and imparting of culture from generation to generation that let's say YOU may be blessed with for example; was not as a result (directly and partly, or fully)of YOUR own formal education?

[I politely detest the way 'system' is always the easiest target for anyone and relatively easy pickings when wanting to make a broad statement. Especially since the 'system' is not gonna stand up and defend itself]... But anyways, that's not where I was leading to with my query above....
I totally disagree that formal education has FAILED to contribute (and I would suspect maybe more than just partially) directly towards where today one (you or me or the next person) can stand up in any gathering and be able to engage confidently in discussions about general knowledge, personal views and judgements, wisdom, and/or discources on our or most other cultures!!!

amitchhikara
January 18th, 2008, 07:29 AM
There is a difference between being educated and being literate. Just holding a degree in your hand does not make one educated. Education is a life long task as we are learning on a daily basis.

But to get back to the discussion I would strongly disagree that education has played no part in the improvement of our society. In my view it is one of the most important factors responsible for where we stand today as a society. In fact I would say it the lack of education that is holding that Jat community back. The more education we can get as a community the more we will prosper.

mukeshkumar007
January 18th, 2008, 10:29 AM
The purpose of education is to open up the threads of blocked mind or I can say rationalization of mind. The more rational you are the more civilized you will be. But the current system of education is such that it is making people more materialistic then humanitarian. Sole purpose of the education got lost somewhere because of this rubbish system.

pscil
January 18th, 2008, 10:37 AM
There is a difference between being educated and being literate. Just holding a degree in your hand does not make one educated. Education is a life long task as we are learning on a daily basis.

But to get back to the discussion I would strongly disagree that education has played no part in the improvement of our society. In my view it is one of the most important factors responsible for where we stand today as a society. In fact I would say it the lack of education that is holding that Jat community back. The more education we can get as a community the more we will prosper.

Bina Pada Jat Pada jaisa Pada jat khuda jaisa.:D

Anyway the major difference is between knowledge and wisdom. Education can give you knowledge but only the proper application of knowledge leads to wisdom. In the Gita we also have different ways for the human development. It can be through gyan yog (knowledge) or bhakti yog (devotion) but whichever way you follow you still have to perform action or karm to realise yourself and to grow spiritually.

But Neha is correct to point out that the improper and unethical application of knowledge does make people feel whether education is a blessing or a curse."Knowledge is a dangerous thing if no one sid so; upon the instruments of death the twilight gently gleams and who will lay the wreath of love when silence drowns the screams" as a song would put it

sunitahooda
January 18th, 2008, 10:51 AM
A topic worth a discussion Neha. As most of them agreed that education alone cant change mindset of a person, todays corrupt education system fetces degrees easily and people can even buy degrees. The real behavior changes with time and going through other aspects of REAL LIFE. Recently i happened to meet a schedule caste employee for some legal work. Before listening to my query he exclaimed" I'm an illiterate and i dont want to listen to your request. I spontaneously said"Uncle if you are uneducated it diesn't mean you HAVE to behave like an UNEDUCATED....being uneducated is not a crime that you have committed and he felt embarrassed and got very soft after that. At times people behave that way as they are forced to adopt and develop a mindset of being uneducated. I came across numeroud people who never went to school but have immense knowledge and are wordly wise and can talk about any thing under the sun :)

There are many other fancy words like traits/ethics etc. that play a vital role in carving us as a GOOD PERSONALITY and we imbibe in our behavior( please read inner personality)

neels
January 18th, 2008, 01:57 PM
...Wow, where did that come from??? You are saying the imparting of knowledge, positive judgment, well-developed wisdom and imparting of culture from generation to generation that let's say YOU may be blessed with for example; was not as a result (directly and partly, or fully)of YOUR own formal education?

[I politely detest the way 'system' is always the easiest target for anyone and relatively easy pickings when wanting to make a broad statement. Especially since the 'system' is not gonna stand up and defend itself]... But anyways, that's not where I was leading to with my query above....
I totally disagree that formal education has FAILED to contribute (and I would suspect maybe more than just partially) directly towards where today one (you or me or the next person) can stand up in any gathering and be able to engage confidently in discussions about general knowledge, personal views and judgements, wisdom, and/or discources on our or most other cultures!!!

The words seem to give the meaning that you have interpreted... but I never meant so. Actually didnt elaborate it well. I am not against the system, nor against education... n ofcourse I value what I or in case anyone learns through education...... what I meant by failure of education system was that...it has not been very successful in the overall development of the taughts. It is more theoritical based,,, which hardly helps in the lessons and virtues of life. And the role of other agencies besides formal education is also very important in educating beings in true sense. As Sunita ve mentioned the example....... simply being illiterate doesn't mean one is uneducated,,,, as well only being literate doesn't gaurantee that one will be fully groomed.

Hope this makes clear my stand....:)

devdahiya
January 18th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Human beings are very complex creatures as brought out by Col Jagmohan else where in some thread.There are no set agendas and paths on which we all move.Hence it is useless expecting an ideal world when petty greeds and haphazard living dominate the world.Education in the sense of this thread is a different ball game all together.It can only come by self realization with in as to what is morally correct and what is not.In a country where 80% people fend for minimal requirement of Food,There is hardly any time with them for pondering over such refined virtues.Let us not search for solutions in the back yard by pushing our point of view in a vague manner and and in unspecified directions all over.

devdahiya
January 18th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Bina Pada Jat Pada jaisa Pada jat khuda jaisa.:D

Anyway the major difference is between knowledge and wisdom. Education can give you knowledge but only the proper application of knowledge leads to wisdom. In the Gita we also have different ways for the human development. It can be through gyan yog (knowledge) or bhakti yog (devotion) but whichever way you follow you still have to perform action or karm to realise yourself and to grow spiritually.

But Neha is correct to point out that the improper and unethical application of knowledge does make people feel whether education is a blessing or a curse."Knowledge is a dangerous thing if no one sid so; upon the instruments of death the twilight gently gleams and who will lay the wreath of love when silence drowns the screams" as a song would put it

I second your mature thoughts.But i would like to say that Knowledge is never dangerous, it's application wrongly is.

shashiverma
January 20th, 2008, 11:33 PM

Education.....Nothing other than this can make this society predictable. But its not merely education but whats important is right education.....
Hitler was educated and so was Mother Teresa....It depends upon individual what they want to perceive...At the same time it also depends a lot on the person who is teaching them......what they could make interesting to their students....
Its a matter of developing right interest among students and then construct the building on right foundation.
Before giving sword in someoneĀ“s hand......one should ensure that you have taught the person about the value and importance of sword.....whether its for protection and strength or just for violence and power.
Do not take it for granted that students will follow a right path if you have never taught them to think about right and wrong ...

Teaching and parenting are jobs of high responsibility. But unfortunately the kind of teachers we have in our present society do not fullfill the needs of the job. And frankly speaking I do not blame teachers at all.....this is the country where the jobs of high responsibilty are paid least.....nd then parents expect the teachers to be ideals.......a person who is finding diffcult to fullfill the needs of their family...and so would obviously be more frustrated...because at the end of day..they are living in the same society..which is beyond their reach nowdays.....
Recently i came across someone telling a person that you are so qualified..you should not opt for the job of teaching..as you will be paid less and will not get work satistfaction.... you do have other better choices as well
.......At the same time the person says.....in todays world its not easy to find good teachers....How can you expect that to happen?
Teachers are not saints..they are ordinary person like us...their needs are very much like us......why do you want them to be idealisitic when you yourself are not willing to be a part of it........or if you want them to fullfill their responsibilities than you also have to ensure that they get suitable enviroment to fullfill their responsibilties.

anilsinghd
January 20th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Once i came across a person who was well educated , earning nice , well settled in life , young , achiever in sports but on internet ( on orkut to be specific ) he was behaving like total illiterate and abusing everyone coming his way and at random as well . He called that " his sense of humour " pretty strange.

Well the narrative was to get to a quote which i now use every now and then ( although i have forgotten whether i copied it from somewhere :confused: or it is my own creation ) !!

IT is :

Ignorance is not lack of education, it is the lack of culture. :)

That kind of sums it all for me ! Education is not the only factor , and i would like to agree with most who have already contributed to the topic in that "Education does not deserve a scolding " because not everyone who has taken advantage of the education behaves as educated.

And would strongly second Super Man ji :D on his thought that although it is common to blame the system for everything , it is certainly not the right way.

I would wish to take it on myself to try and improve , first on a personal level and then may be make it contagious ! :)

krchaudhary
January 30th, 2008, 11:16 PM
No doubt education is the prime factor for development of individual as well as group or socity as a whole. Education has many facets and in its narrowest sense it is correlated with bookish literate techniques. Education does not mean only reading and writing of various combinations of alphabets and numerals but to understand and interpretation and correlation of knowledge with the culture n upliftment of conscienceness in a true manner. So if a person has got true education he is a asset for self,family,community and nation otherwise a selfish and liabilty.

lrburdak
January 31st, 2008, 08:32 AM
Hi,

Welcome to Jatland Kishanaramji !!!

I do fully agree with you. We compare our society with that about 100 years back and find the result. It is the education which has brought the results. Education does not simply mean getting bookish knowledge.

Regards,

No doubt education is the prime factor for development of individual as well as group or socity as a whole. Education has many facets and in its narrowest sense it is correlated with bookish literate techniques. Education does not mean only reading and writing of various combinations of alphabets and numerals but to understand and interpretation and correlation of knowledge with the culture n upliftment of conscienceness in a true manner. So if a person has got true education he is a asset for self,family,community and nation otherwise a selfish and liabilty.

scsheorayan
February 1st, 2008, 04:59 PM
As a young man I had strong opinions about merits and demerits of modern education.A simple class assignment resulted in a complete note book of 64 pages being filled but the essay did not finish. After almost half a century I do not have such strong views on education. You may wonder, why ? There are always merits and demerits of any process including education. Education simply makes a person knowledegable which can be used to enhance one's capacity. Capacity to do what ?
It depends on the application of that knowledge. It can be applied to accumulate material things, acquire knowledge or serve society or a combination of them. Main difference I can see in last 50 years is the change in focus of entire society. Then the focus was more on personal growth and individual's integrity. Now it has shifted more towards accumulation of material things at any cost. Why blame education for it. Uneducated ones are not far behind. These are just signs of time. Human beings crave for what they do not have. When they get that they crave for some thing else. Our society is going through the phase of materialism at what cost ? Only time will tell.

vijay
February 4th, 2008, 10:51 PM
It depends on the application of that knowledge.

I think this sentence can conclude it as a whole. Otherwise i had seen some illetrated much better than literated illetrates. :)