PDA

View Full Version : European Football

sumitsehrawat
January 30th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Hey Guys,

Here are the latest club standings of the top three Football Leagues in the world.

1. English Premier League
Well, the old rivalry is still continuing in England. This year it is Mancheter Utd and Arsenal who are fighting out at the top. Chelsea is not far behind still. Each side has got 15 matches still to play and I expect a tough fight among the biggies here.

Man Utd 54 points in 23 matches (leading Arsenal on Goal difference)
Arsenal 57 points in 24 matches
Chelsea 50 points in 23 matches

2. Italian Serie A
Surprises, the powerhouse AC Milan is nowhere to be seen this year. Struggling at 7th position with half season already gone they have almost no chance to finish at the top. The surprise leaders this year are Inter Milan. They have outsmarted every other team in the toughest league in the world this year. AS roma has done well this season too and are placed second just 5 points behind leaders Inter. Juventus, who missed last year because of match fixing, are placed third at 40 points. Still 18 matches are to go and no one can predict an easy ride for Inter as Juventus will eat grass to win this year.

Inter Milan: 50 points in 20 matches
AS Roma : 45 points in 20 matches
Juventus : 40 points in 20 matches
AC Milan : 27 points in 18 matches

3. Spanish Primera Liga
Its Real Real and Real who are shining right from the beginning of this season. Barcelona had the team but then the team wins and not big names. Barcelona did not learn from the earlier mistakes made by Real Madrid few seasons ago and instead of the best team they only have the best players. The table standings show the same. Real lead the Catalans by 9 points with 21 matches already gone. By no means they can afford to be complacent. With 17 matches still to go a lot can happen. Spanish league is always known for the fierce competition and the last day deciders have decided the winners in the past. Valencia, this year, has been a disappointment and are struggling at 11th position.

Real Madrid : 53 points in 21 matches
Barcelona : 44 points in 21 matches
Villarreal : 38 points in 21 matches

Thanks,
Sumit

sumitsehrawat
January 30th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Hi guys,

Many of us, I am sure, follow European football with keen interest. Players keep on moving from one FCs to others but the attachment that we have with certain clubs do not really change. Let's share what all clubs are our favorites.

In EPL, I love Liverpool and Man Utd the most. Juventus in Serie A and Barcelona in Spain. My all time favorite Football club is the Turin powerhouse Juventus. Close second is the Nou Camp bunch...Barcelona.

Hoping to read and then discuss your take on the most beautiful game in the world.

Thanks,
Sumit

asuhag
January 30th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Barca, Milan, Man Utd, Sao Paulo, Fayenoord are my favorite in their respective leagues. I dont get German league.

Liverpool's a good team. Got some good blokes there but sadly they aren't doing well. I feel Rafa is too defensive and shuffles his team way too much. I've been following Man Utd from good old days ... Cantona, Keane etc... though most of my fav players are gone and the team is quite young, they are doing very well and will only get better if they stay together. Ferggie is really a master of the trade.

Sadly my fav barca is also not playing at their top. They are such an entertaining team otherwise.

sumitsehrawat
January 30th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Talking about Liverpool, I too agree that Rafael Benitez has a defensive mindset which doesn't actually appeal in EPL. However, with the signing of Spanish wonderkid Fernando Torres I think they have done a wonderful thing. He's played awesome so far. But the question is till when can the Merseysiders hold on Torres. Bigger and richer clubs are eyeing him already.
I too wish to see Liverpool's days of 1980s back. The Club was huge in Europe.

I do not get to see Brazilian league and the Dutch League so cannot comment on Sao Paulo and Feyenoord. There used to be a programme on DD Sports once which showed Ajax Amsterdam training school. Used to love it and that is all I know about Dutch club football. Bayern Munich is who I support in Bundesliga.

Anyways... it seems this is Rafa's last season at Liverpool. Who do you think are the likely candidates to succeed him? I don't think they can shell out enough money for Mourhinho or Lippi. And, maybe they themselves woouln't want to come to Liverpool.

Barca, Milan, Man Utd, Sao Paulo, Fayenoord are my favorite in their respective leagues. I dont get German league.

Liverpool's a good team. Got some good blokes there but sadly they aren't doing well. I feel Rafa is too defensive and shuffles his team way too much. I've been following Man Utd from good old days ... Cantona, Keane etc... though most of my fav players are gone and the team is quite young, they are doing very well and will only get better if they stay together. Ferggie is really a master of the trade.

Sadly my fav barca is also not playing at their top. They are such an entertaining team otherwise.

kabir
January 30th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Whatever, Benitez's tactics are, they'd been fairly successful in knockout competitions -- be that Champions League or FA CUP. Defend well and let someone like Gerrard produce a stroke of genius upfront.

Curiously, they are the best team in the world when the chips are down!

sumitsehrawat
January 30th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Hey Kabir, you are right. Defence is also an important part of football. And Benitez has been successful in a sense that he won Champions League against all odds. But then, the point is that they dont only play knockout tournaments. EPL requires them to be consistent for 38 matches. To finish at the top after 38 matches require the patience which generally runs out given the pressure players are under for a continous period of time. The fact is that despite his success at the club he could not be consistent. The primary job that he is supposed to do is to win Liverpool the Premiership title. Benitez has failed in that regard. To be frank, Benitez has been a so-so manager and someone better is required here at Anfield to get them really going. This season end I, for sure, see some new face getting to coach under-performing Liverpool.

You are absolutely right when you talk about the dependency on Steven Gerrard. In my humble opinion Gerrard is the best player in EPL.

Whatever, Benitez's tactics are, they'd been fairly successful in knockout competitions -- be that Champions League or FA CUP. Defend well and let someone like Gerrard produce a stroke of genius upfront.

Curiously, they are the best team in the world when the chips are down!

fatehsingh
March 4th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Hi guys,

Many of us, I am sure, follow European football with keen interest. Players keep on moving from one FCs to others but the attachment that we have with certain clubs do not really change. Let's share what all clubs are our favorites.

In EPL, I love Liverpool and Man Utd the most. Juventus in Serie A and Barcelona in Spain. My all time favorite Football club is the Turin powerhouse Juventus. Close second is the Nou Camp bunch...Barcelona.

Hoping to read and then discuss your take on the most beautiful game in the world.

Thanks,
Sumit
impossible.....if you love Man U you will hate liverpool and vice versa.....don`t you know the history between these two teams....go to anfield area in a MAN U kit...people will cut you into pieces....trust me its ugly:o

sumitsehrawat
March 4th, 2008, 02:48 PM
"if you love Man U you will hate liverpool and vice versa"

matab agar aapko aam ache lagte hai to Gaajar acchi nahi lag sakti???.... [:d]
I do very well know the history between both these teams ans yet I love both these clubs. Now what??
I won't trust you here...there are considerable number of ManUtd fans in Anfield
.....they do come out in open when the Reds play in Anfield. hmmm....don't you know that??

[:)]! If I am sounding any harsh, please excuse me because I am actually not meaning so. [:)]!

Thanks,
Sumit

impossible.....if you love Man U you will hate liverpool and vice versa.....don`t you know the history between these two teams....go to anfield area in a MAN U kit...people will cut you into pieces....trust me its ugly:o