PDA

View Full Version : Australian Open 2008 on Men's Tennis

sumitsehrawat
January 30th, 2008, 12:29 PM
2008 has started with promise especially in Men's Tennis. King Federer and Clay champion Nadal know that they may need to scratch their heads for the first time in their lives. The Mohammaed Ali lookalike Tsonga and the pinpoint Serb Djokovic have together brought competition in Men's Tennis which the fans were missing for a long time now.
Djokovic had shown promise in the previous tournaments as well even though he never won any Grand Slam. Tsonga too was equally impressive in this tournament. Such was the effect of these two in Men's tennis that crowd went crazy for both the players in the finals. Why not?? The Federer Express and the Spanish bull both were beaten in straight sets by Djokovic and Tsonga in the semis. Till now there were four levels in Men's tennis. Level one belonged to the Swiss ace Roger Federer who could not be deterred from this level. This is where he belonged till date and had literally no competition. Level Two had just one player too. The Spanish muscles in Nadal. He could not be moved. Level Three were the top 10-15 players who all were equally good and anyone could anyone anyday. Level Four consisted of players we really not be discussing about currently.

The rise of Djokovic and Tsonga would do wonders to Men's Tennis. For, one, Grand Slams would no longer be taken for granted as Federer vs Nadal finals. Taking inspiration from the likes of Djokovic and Tsonga more players would emerge and provide stiff comeptition to the likes of Federer and Nadal.

Not to mention, the quality of tennis we see these days were never existing before. Not in the times of Connors, McEnroe, Borg, Becker, Sampras, Agassi.

Thanks,
Sumit

kabir
January 30th, 2008, 07:52 PM
It's grossly unfair, but inevitable at the same time, to compare the players of different generations.
While Federer certainly is the most dominant player in the history of the game, he may not necessarily be the best. Emergence of Djokovic aside, there has been a huge gap between the No.1 one and No.2; something which was not there when, say, Sampras was playing. There was always an Agassi, Richard Krajicek or Rafter breathing down his neck.

You only have to look back to the US Open 2005 final when 34-year-old baseline maestro Agassi stretched FedEx to the limit.

Coming to the point, yes Djokovic's rise is a welcome change given that contemporary men's tennis, at best, is a two-horse race. Regarding Tsonga, I would say he an immense potential but I would reserve my verdict. A couple of seasons back, Cyproit Marcos Baghdatis did almost the same but that, till date, remains his claim to fame.

shashiverma
January 30th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Watching Sampras playing.....was used to be good enough to be sitting before TV screen. I just hope I could regain my interest in game.

kabir
January 30th, 2008, 08:46 PM
The Bold and the Beautiful and then the late-night Russian TB 6.
Before the satellite TV revolution turned me (and millions like me) blasé, a mere flash of Gabriela Sabatini's thighs during the Grand Slam telecast on an otherwise mundane DD used to send shivers down my spine (and a rush of blood somewhere else).;)

sumitsehrawat
January 30th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Absolutely correct Kabir. It is unfair to compare players of different generations. But then, I was talking not about the Federer or Sampras or Lendl. What I still maintain is that the level of tennis has only bettered with time. I have been following Tennis very closely since late 1980s and those players (Edbergs, Beckers, Couriers, Sampras's, Agassi's ) were the best that time and there used to be fierce competition between them. But watching the current players is sheer amazement in delight. The body language is quite different from the earlier players. We see shots those were never played during the late 80s. Even though the competition has been less among the top flight players for the last 4-5 years but the level of tennis played all around has been treat to eyes. This cannot be denied.

And the same I am talking about. The gap between the number one and number two and the number 3s and 4s has for quite sometime now been very high. But then, Djokovic seems different. I know it is too early to comment on him and Tsonga, but looking at the quality tennis they just played in the Aus open only strengthens their morals and confidence. Baghdatis, I think, is still doing well. He may not have reached another Grand Slam finals but has been beating top players in ATP tournaments consistently. He ain't done yet.

But I am surprised about Lleyton Hewitt's fall. His 'Aussie' arrogance may be blamed. Don't know.

It's grossly unfair, but inevitable at the same time, to compare the players of different generations.
While Federer certainly is the most dominant player in the history of the game, he may not necessarily be the best. Emergence of Djokovic aside, there has been a huge gap between the No.1 one and No.2; something which was not there when, say, Sampras was playing. There was always an Agassi, Richard Krajicek or Rafter breathing down his neck.

You only have to look back to the US Open 2005 final when 34-year-old baseline maestro Agassi stretched FedEx to the limit.

Coming to the point, yes Djokovic's rise is a welcome change given that contemporary men's tennis, at best, is a two-horse race. Regarding Tsonga, I would say he an immense potential but I would reserve my verdict. A couple of seasons back, Cyproit Marcos Baghdatis did almost the same but that, till date, remains his claim to fame.