PDA

View Full Version : Euro 2008

sumitsehrawat
January 31st, 2008, 05:11 PM
Hey friends,

So it is time. All the foot-action would be in Switzerland and Austria mid-2008.
I have been a devout fan of Italian football (Roberto Baggio made me one). It was awesome when Italy won the World Cup in Germany. Would love to see them winning the Euro 2008 too though the configuration is quite different. Wonder if Donadoni has enough in his head to crack the Group of Death. Italy, France, Romania and Netherlands constitute this group. Lippi ofcourse would be missed.

Let's share who all are supporting what all countries.

Thanks,
Sumit

VPannu
January 31st, 2008, 05:44 PM
All the ammunition lies in Group C.
I would love to watch either Spain or Portugal lifting the cup.
Players to watch Deco, Maniche, C.Ronaldo, Hugo Almeida, Luis GarcĂ*a Fernández, David Albelda.

kabir
January 31st, 2008, 06:15 PM
England-where are they?!!! heheheheh.

Anyway, I've given up on predicting the winners, especially after Euro-2004. Everybody thought it was France's, Portugal's or England's. Lo and behold! Greece came out of nowhere to win the tournament.

So far as backing a team is concerned, I'll root for Spain -- high time they win a silverware.

shashiverma
January 31st, 2008, 06:43 PM
Well the bull-headed men (although they are not that bull-headed ;-) when its not about games) rightly deserve it...and why not...they are simply crazy about football (and ofcourse car race as well) and they do play well.
Just talk to a common man.....job hoga nahin hoga thats a second thing...lets concentrate on football match first he he :) ....So obviously they have list of quality players....Lets see who lift this time...

sumitsehrawat
January 31st, 2008, 08:10 PM
Well let's wait n watch. Deco is superb. Sorry but in my opinion Maniche doesn't belong to THE category though. C. Ronaldo....well what to say of him. Talent wise he seems to be the best in the world but then he should be told what and how Denilson suffered. The day he is not selfish on pitch he would be lethal. Portugal, naah.... I have a silly reason for never supporting them. In Europe they seem more South Americans :-)!

Spain, well yes.... they have been the underachievers. Their style of football is awesome to watch. I bet Fernando Torres can be a hero of Euro 2008. He's just electric.

All eyes, still, would be on the Group of Death. France, Netherlands and Italy. Romania need some George Hagi to see them through there.

Let's see.

All the ammunition lies in Group C.
I would love to watch either Spain or Portugal lifting the cup.
Players to watch Deco, Maniche, C.Ronaldo, Hugo Almeida, Luis GarcĂ*a Fernández, David Albelda.

sumitsehrawat
January 31st, 2008, 08:17 PM
Right Kabir. Greece surprised the entire world in 2004. Their back to back performance against France, the Czech and Portugal shocked the entire world. And, importantly, they were loved for it.

I would love to see a repeat of Euro 2000 finals though with the results reversed. Italy scoring the winner with just 13 seconds to go. The heart that broke in 2004 needs only the same but reversed ointment.

Anyway, I've given up on predicting the winners, especially after Euro-2004. Everybody thought it was France's, Portugal's or England's. Lo and behold! Greece came out of nowhere to win the tournament.

So far as backing a team is concerned, I'll root for Spain -- high time they win a silverware.

fatehsingh
March 4th, 2008, 02:25 AM

i was in birminhgam on that day(21st november)........people were really not so excited about the match as a draw was enough for the three lions to go the euro cup.....and the english team was in realy good form at that time...after winning three games in a row away from home.....but that silly mistake by robinson in the 5th minute of the match was a blunder.........and again in second half....do you remember the amazing goal of peter crouch on beckham free kick was the highlight of the match.........but the croats scored again in the second half and england lost 2-3......next day everyone was so sad....i still remember when people where singing god saves the english football....instead of queen.....

VPannu
June 7th, 2008, 05:52 PM
In less than 4 hours time the first match of much awaited EURO 08 will be kicking off at Basel in SUI, when Czech Republic takes on Switzerland. I root for the Czechs. Would be a tough task to hit the Czech net when Cech is there. Moreover, Milan Baros and Jaroslav Plasil would be players to watch in my opinion. Wat u say all soccer frenzy jatlanders.

sumitsehrawat
June 7th, 2008, 08:42 PM
So finally the action is about to start. Cool :)! Czech should win this one.
According to me Milan Baros will start on bench....Tomas Rosicky would be missed...and the guy from Juventus...(Grygera) should get a chance tonight.

Forza Italia!!

In less than 4 hours time the first match of much awaited EURO 08 will be kicking off at Basel in SUI, when Czech Republic takes on Switzerland. I root for the Czechs. Would be a tough task to hit the Czech net when Cech is there. Moreover, Milan Baros and Jaroslav Plasil would be players to watch in my opinion. Wat u say all soccer frenzy jatlanders.

VPannu
June 7th, 2008, 11:31 PM
CZECH won the opener match.
Hail the spirit of the game.
Live up to it people.

sumitsehrawat
June 8th, 2008, 02:47 AM
If I were to choose one dark-horse of this edition of Euro.... it would be Guus Hiddink's Russia. Russia is the reason of England's absence in Euro 2008.

Not to mention the other day Zenit beat Rangers 2-0 to win UEFA cup. Previously, in semis they had outclassed Bayern Munich 5-1 on aggregate.

However, Russia’s captain and best player, Andrei Arshavin, is suspended for the first two games of the tournament. That's a major blow, because he’s not a player easily replaced right now considering his magic during Zenit’s UEFA Cup run. Pavel Pogrebnyak is another player who is hugely gifted....again from Zenit.

Would love to see them do well. btw, Guus never disappoints:)!

devdahiya
June 8th, 2008, 09:08 AM
all the best sumit...hope your dream comes true

sumitsehrawat
June 8th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Thanks Dev Sir.

Waise... dream is to see Italy win all the matches they play till I die.... he he he [:)]! Team Azzurri is my heartbeat ever since 'The Divine Ponytail' shone in US'94.

Forza Italia!!

sumitsehrawat
June 8th, 2008, 10:52 AM
It is so disappointing to know that major stars from Netherlands would not be playing against Italy on Monday. :mad::mad:!!

Van Persie and Robben have been ruled out for this clash against Italy as they are injured. Latest dutch teen sensation Babel was earlier ruled out of the competition when he picked up injury. Seedorf had also earlier publicly snubbed coach Van Basten and embarrassed every lover of "total football". Dutch football seems to be in tatters.

Italy would miss captain Cannavaro but then if one remembers well, they also missed their then best defender 'Nesta' in the world cup...but still won the tournament. They are 'THE TEAM'.

Forza Italia...... :)!!

sumitsehrawat
June 8th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Injured Pogrebnyak Accepts Fate

Russia striker Pavel Pogrebnyak has grudgingly accepted his fate after being ruled out of UEFA EURO 2008.

The 24-year-old Zenit St. Petersburg striker has failed to recover from a knee cartilage problem that has plagued him since the 2-1 friendly win against Serbia on 28 May – and has now been ruled out of the tournament.
The news comes as a major blow to the forward, who was beginning to enjoy greater prominence on both the club and international scene.

If I were to choose one dark-horse of this edition of Euro.... it would be Guus Hiddink's Russia. Russia is the reason of England's absence in Euro 2008.

Not to mention the other day Zenit beat Rangers 2-0 to win UEFA cup. Previously, in semis they had outclassed Bayern Munich 5-1 on aggregate.

However, Russia’s captain and best player, Andrei Arshavin, is suspended for the first two games of the tournament. That's a major blow, because he’s not a player easily replaced right now considering his magic during Zenit’s UEFA Cup run. Pavel Pogrebnyak is another player who is hugely gifted....again from Zenit.

ygulia
June 8th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I think either Germany or Portugal will win Euro2008.

sumitsehrawat
June 8th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Germany is one of the favourites to win this tournament. Tonight they play their first game of the tournament...against Poland. There are many good players in this German squad but my eyes would be on Schweinsteiger, Podolski and Lahm. The German Gerrard (Schweinsteiger) is simply awesome with those kicks of his from 30-35 yards from goal. Ballack, I hope, does well...at Chelsea he's no more than a puppet...but does well in German shirt. Klose scores but his game is very boring. Frings could be treat to eyes as well. Podolski and Schweinsteiger are my favs in this German Squad.

Also... http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=688561

Forza Italia!!

sumitsehrawat
June 9th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Podolski, Lahm and Frings were the best players of the night. Schweinsteiger started on bench and despite a poor season he did quite ok.

So, the day comes.... Italy play Netherlands tonight. Dutch are not even half of their strength and many major players are missing for tonight's clash with the mighty Azzurri. That is sad. I hope and pray Italy wins this one. Well, they all are champions I cannot just keep my eyes only on a selected few of them. Still... Buffon, Pirlo, Zambrotta would be my favourites for tonight's clash. Not sure who all will play upfront. Camaronesi and Toni definitely will play...third could be Di Natale to begin with. Cassano and Del Piero might be the substitutes. In their last meeting in Euro 200 semis... (I almost had an heart attack that day), Zambrotta was red carded in 34th minute and despite getting two penalties in normal time Netherlands went on to lose in penalty shoot-out.

And don't I love Gattuso...well he seems like a JAT in Azzurri. The bull can run 10000 kilometers on pitch. he hehe :)! Number 10 jersey is with De Rossi, the AS Roma midfielder. Del Piero hasn't been a success at international level, I hope and pray that he turns the table upside down and scores tonight. He belongs to my favourite Juventus and has been an icon for the powerhouse club and so has my backing. Go Del Piero.....score.

Italia Italia Italia.... :)!

Germany is one of the favourites to win this tournament. Tonight they play their first game of the tournament...against Poland. There are many good players in this German squad but my eyes would be on Schweinsteiger, Podolski and Lahm. The German Gerrard (Schweinsteiger) is simply awesome with those kicks of his from 30-35 yards from goal. Ballack, I hope, does well...at Chelsea he's no more than a puppet...but does well in German shirt. Klose scores but his game is very boring. Frings could be treat to eyes as well. Podolski and Schweinsteiger are my favs in this German Squad.

Also... http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=688561

Forza Italia!!

Nishantrathi82
June 9th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Football i love this game even i like Cricket a lot but still watching football is amazing feeling, its full 90 minute adventure.
And my favourite team is Germany i wish they won Euro2008 ,
Michael Ballack is the reason why i like germany and offcourse Klose, Podolski , Gomez makes them favourite.:rock
I wish they will win Euro cup 2008

sandeepkadian05
June 9th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Sorry but Robinson dint play that game.....

i was in birminhgam on that day(21st november)........people were really not so excited about the match as a draw was enough for the three lions to go the euro cup.....and the english team was in realy good form at that time...after winning three games in a row away from home.....but that silly mistake by robinson in the 5th minute of the match was a blunder.........and again in second half....do you remember the amazing goal of peter crouch on beckham free kick was the highlight of the match.........but the croats scored again in the second half and england lost 2-3......next day everyone was so sad....i still remember when people where singing god saves the english football....instead of queen.....

sandeepkadian05
June 9th, 2008, 10:29 AM
The Dutch will triumph....;)

Podolski, Lahm and Frings were the best players of the night. Schweinsteiger started on bench and despite a poor season he did quite ok.

So, the day comes.... Italy play Netherlands tonight. Dutch are not even half of their strength and many major players are missing for tonight's clash with the mighty Azzurri. That is sad. I hope and pray Italy wins this one. Well, they all are champions I cannot just keep my eyes only on a selected few of them. Still... Buffon, Pirlo, Zambrotta would be my favourites for tonight's clash. Not sure who all will play upfront. Camaronesi and Toni definitely will play...third could be Di Natale to begin with. Cassano and Del Piero might be the substitutes. In their last meeting in Euro 200 semis... (I almost had an heart attack that day), Zambrotta was red carded in 34th minute and despite getting two penalties in normal time Netherlands went on to lose in penalty shoot-out.

And don't I love Gattuso...well he seems like a JAT in Azzurri. The bull can run 10000 kilometers on pitch. he hehe :)! Number 10 jersey is with De Rossi, the AS Roma midfielder. Del Piero hasn't been a success at international level, I hope and pray that he turns the table upside down and scores tonight. He belongs to my favourite Juventus and has been an icon for the powerhouse club and so has my backing. Go Del Piero.....score.

Italia Italia Italia.... :)!

sumitsehrawat
June 9th, 2008, 07:51 PM
In the other match in the Group of Death, France faces Romania. Many have claimed that Romania could bring up nice surprise in this group. Well, for that we will have to wait and watch.

France is a good team, one of the favourites but I am sad. Flamini has not been included in the team for Euro and Nicholas Anelka is expected to start. Anelka to me has been the worst French footballer of all time. All his life he's been changing clubs. I hope I dont have to eat my words after this tournament. he he he :)! But then, seriously..... Anelka??? My goodness!! Juventine goal machine Trezeguet was in form having scored 20 goals in Serie A. But anyways, I dont know what's up with Domenech. An adamant coach that he is.

Anyways... Ribery is supposed to continue with his stupendous form with Bayern Munich. Not to mention he is the prime target for Chelsea the coming season. Henry, though had a pathetic season at Nou Camp, hopefully would show what he was at Arsenal once. Gallas, Thuram and Makelele are expected to play at positions they have been playing for more than a decade now.

All in all a good contest coming up...though Ribery is no Zidane but then he too can inspire fellow French on pitch. And, did I forget to mention Benzema. How silly of me. He's awesome and can prove his worth in this tournament.

May the better team win. France hi jeetna chhaiye yaar. :)!

Aur Italy bhi jeetni chhaiye .... one of the best goalkeepers of all times -- Buffon has been appointed as Azzurri captain. Dutch are not at their full strength and better players are not playing this against Italy....Robben, Babel, Van Persie are far better than Schneider and Van der Vaart...anyday. Let's see what happens....

May Italy win :)!

VPannu
June 9th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Anelka to me has been the worst French footballer of all time. All his life he's been changing clubs.
If thats your criterion for choosing the best and the worst then Luca Toni (Italian) could be the worst. In his comparatively short career he has changed 10 clubs, not staying in a single club for more than 2 years.
And mind you Dear Sumit,Nicolas Anelka is the costliest footballer of all time because combined value of his transfer fees (€108m) makes him.

sumitsehrawat
June 9th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Yes, you caught me right. It is my personal hatred for Anelka. he he he :)!

You are very right about Toni switching max no. of clubs but then he's done exceptionally well atleast for the last season in Bayern. He was next to only Cristiano Ronaldo this season. Are players not selected for their recent performances? What has Anelka done till date? I do not seem to have an answer for that.

Anelka being the costliest footballer?? Seems you didn't understand the trick behind this statement. The 87 Million pounds spent on him are the total money spent on him by all FCs since he left PSG in 1997. This is NOT one transaction. What he was spent on after 8 transfers is something good players can account for in 2 or say 3 transfers. Ok yes, you can talk about the time value of Money also .... 1997-2008. If this is analyzed properly then blve me this achievement (I wonder if it is) is of no proud to Nicholas. Performance is what matters and performance is one area he's disappointed many around the world.

Real Madrid once took him only for him to sit on bench. Chelsea is already reconsidering his stay at Stamford Bridge. Whatever little good time he had was at Man City. Oh yes, you can say he did quite ok at Bolton too. But then, he's been switching because all these clubs seem to have miscalculated his talent. And, you are right .... Luca Toni is no great player. I agree. He's just ordinary... but then his height could be used and so has been used by Bayern and Fiorentina and Palermo in the past. If you look at Toni's record then he might not have played in great clubs as actually Anelka managed to do but then talking about performance.... forget that Anelka can match Toni. He cannot. 110 odd goals in last 180 odd matches is no joke. And just for your knowledge, it is Toni who has been dictating his transfers since 2003. This includes the deal when he left Baggio (at Brecia) to move to Palermo in 2003 and then to Fiorentina two years later and then again after two years to Munich. And it is him who recently rejected moving to Milan despite Ancelotti cryings. Ancelotti's finding it tough to protect his own position at San Siro though.

At International level, Anelka's record is poor as compared to the Juventus hero. Not that I like Trezequet...(the silly boy took Euro out of Italy's hands in 2000...) but fact is a fact. Anelka is no match for 'Trezegol'.

Only way I can eat my words is if Anelka performs in this tournament which atleast I doubt he will. You please wish he does. I'll be happy to change my viewpoint on the flop star.

P.S.: Well I love Italy the TEAM and not just Toni.... so your indirect message nullifies. (Brackets me ...Italian)

If thats your criterion for choosing the best and the worst then Luca Toni (Italian) could be the worst. In his comparatively short career he has changed 10 clubs, not staying in a single club for more than 2 years.
And mind you Dear Sumit,Nicolas Anelka is the costliest footballer of all time because combined value of his transfer fees (€108m) makes him.

sumitsehrawat
June 9th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Get your calculators out Vivek.

1. Luca Toni has been playing for 14 years as compared to Anelka's 13.

2. Luca Toni has played 414 matches while Anelka 396.

3. Luca Toni has scored 200 goals while Anelka is struggling at 125 goals in 13 years.

4. Luca Toni has 15 goals out of 34 matches he's played for Italy while Mr Anelka has only 11 goals in 48 matches for France.

Luca Toni won European Golden Shoe for year 2005-06, he was Serie A top scorer in 2006, Bundesliga Top scorer in 2007-08, UEFA cup top scorer in 2007-08 .... .what on earth was Anelka doing all this while?

So who's having a comparatively shorter career and who's the flop show??

Luca Toni (Italian) could be the worst. In his comparatively short career ....

sumitsehrawat
June 10th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Dear Sandeep, you speculated it right. :)!

Half-strength Netherlands thrashed world champions Italy.

Ruud’s goal was a poor decision by the referee. Sad, but such mistakes happen so let’s not make an excuse of that. Sneijder, Van Der Vaart and Van Bronckhorst were outstanding. Netherlands completely outplayed Italy in the first half. With Cannavaro gone I blve its time to get Nesta out of retirement. Irony was that Italian defence was its pathetic best. :mad:!!

Netherlands took revenge of their dramatic Euro 2000 semi-final loss to Italy. Today, Netherlands outclassed Italy. Poor football from Italy. Only Pirlo and Grosso were good. Donadoni needs to do a lot of work out there. Kudos to Van Basten. With Robben to return, this dutch side seems to be serious about the tournament.

BEST GAME OF THE TOURNAMENT so far. Somehow I managed to avoid a heart attack and so happened to write this post. he he he :)!

This group certainly is the group of Death. Italy Vs France should be one hell of a match. And I shall be able to watch it in Delhi… no more Sopcast... finally I'll be watching on my TV. Come on Italia….. got to win all matches now.

The Dutch will triumph....;)

Nishantrathi82
June 10th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Netherlands beats Italy 3-0 unexpected and another one Russia Vs Romania 0-0. Correctly said Pool of Death now Euro is going be more hotter lets wait and see other blunders which may happen in next matches. :tamatar

sumitsehrawat
June 10th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Spain plays Russia. Cool!

Spain Vs Yugoslavia at Euro 2000 was the best international football match I ever watched. The way Spain came from behind and beat Yugoslavia 4-3 after scoring 2 goals in last 5 mins…. Only put cherry on the cake. Right from minute one that was THE MATCH. Spain has always been my second favorite (in Europe) after Italy despite the fact they both have very different styles of playing. But sadly, they have not won at senior level international stage since 1968. In Euro'84 they were the finalists....

So, the underachievers begin their campaign tonight. Spain, like always, has wonderful players. Of what Spanish football has given to the world, I believe they deserve to win this tournament. Raul isn’t there… but the Villa is in fine form and what to say of Torres…the striker who’s considered as to be the next Raul if not better. “El Nino” as he’s known is actually not a kid to word football. I would rate him as the best striker in Europe. He’s simply amazing. The fantabulous Fabregas, Xavi, Xabi Alonso and Iniesta are very good in midfield. At back Casillas and Sergio Ramos should be enough to thwart Russia’s attacks but the tiring legs of Puyol can provide Russians a chance. Puyol is a very good defender but then he’s become very slow nowadays. If I were the coach I would not start him.

For Russia, Arshavin is suspended while Pogrebnyak has been ruled out of the tournament. But then Russia’s biggest strength I believe is in their coach Mr Guus Hiddink.

Spain should win this one…and the tournament (just in case Italy bows out early…)

In another match, defending champions Greece play Swedan. Well, it was so good to see Greece beating France, the Czech and Portugal (two times) in the last edition to win the tournament. But then I have not much hope from them this time. And, I cannot even spell or pronounce any of their player’s names so I cannot talk much about them.

Sweden…. hmm… Ibrahimovic is injured but still may start the game. He had a good season but these days is more confused weighing options of playing in Barcelona or under Mourinho at Inter. Ljungberg, not sure if he still can create those runs of his. The best Swedish footballer of all time -- Larsson, has once again come out of retirement to play for the national team. Hoping he does well.

I bet on Torres for the highest goal scorer in this tournament. Germany’s Podolski would definitely be among the top ones.

sumitsehrawat
June 10th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I agree with this....point by point. Especially the "Defence" and "What's next?" paragraphs.
http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=730741#Comm

VPannu
June 14th, 2008, 02:40 AM
Fabulous football from the Dutch side especially Robin Persie and Arjen Robben. I loved the 2nd dutch goal, a move totally created by Robben and what a clinical finish from Persie. Sneijder rubbed salt on French wounds as the game was moments away from full time. A number of chances were fumbled by the French and dont know what was wrong with Henry. He is a prolific scorer in league games but not when it comes to big ties like this. Anyway he found himself lucky to get his name on scoresheet.

anujdahiya
June 14th, 2008, 03:32 AM
I am all for the Dutchies this time.

Nishantrathi82
June 17th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Yesterday my favourite Ballack's 30 meter goal ensures Germany place in Quater finals. And its going to be Hot favourite Portugal Vs My Favourite Germany , what a match its going to be.
And todays its going to be Elimination match between Italy and france.
Now Football at its best...................:rock:rock

sandeepkadian05
June 22nd, 2008, 10:44 AM
Getting a bit funny eh???? This tournament..... Russia and Turkey may well be contesting the final.........

Nishantrathi82
June 23rd, 2008, 09:43 AM
Getting a bit funny eh???? This tournament..... Russia and Turkey may well be contesting the final.........

Ya sandeep that can also happen but i wish Germany will win the Euro cup but they have to be carefull from Turkeish Goal keeper he is doing damn good. Let's see what happen next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

VPannu
June 23rd, 2008, 09:59 AM
Ya sandeep that can also happen but i wish Germany will win the Euro cup but they have to be carefull from Turkeish Goal keeper he is doing damn good. Let's see what happen next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:If thats the case what do you reckon of Casillas? He flew left, right and produced priceless magical saves to sail the Spanish ship through to the semis. I so want Spain to lift the cup.
GER >> :boxing <<ESP

sandeepkadian05
June 23rd, 2008, 10:58 AM
Turkish first choice goalkeeper is injured mate, he is not playing. As for Rustu their second choice you saw in the QF, he is old and slow and it was just that the croats kept shooting wide of the post...

Ya sandeep that can also happen but i wish Germany will win the Euro cup but they have to be carefull from Turkeish Goal keeper he is doing damn good. Let's see what happen next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

sumitsehrawat
June 24th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Dutch were never so good in this tournament...just that they were finishing well n the opponents were not. Italy weren't bad against them, neither were the French. Dutch defence was well exploited by the Hiddink army. That was the match of the tournament, for me.

Portugal?? Well, they were more concerned with Real Madrids (stupid Ronaldo) and Chelseas (stubborn Scolari). They were the Talent but got what they deserved. For a change I liked Ricardo at the goal. He was very good.

Italy vs Spain was one of the most boring matches of recent times. Italy were bad. Without Pirlo they were absolutely ZERO in midfield. De Rossi was playing more defensive. King Buffon is always diving the wrong side in shootouts(not in match penalties ...hehehe). The Juve man - Chellini, was outstanding though. Toni proved he is no less than Anelka. Never scored. Spain are not going into the semis with a good match. They were very disappointing against Italy. The strategy was to keep the ball and I think Spain played at their slowest pace. Never in history I saw Spain playing so slow. But their stategy payed off, they held Italy and later threw them out in shootouts. Italy were slower. Russia, as predicted, has continued the flair with which Zenit played UEFA Cup last season. Arshavin inspires...

Would love to see Russia winning....n if not then let Spain enjoy the glory. But no Germany and definitely not Turkey. But the way Turkey has, so far, finished matches in this tournament...wow!! Football is a wonderful game.

Hiddink turned down Chelsea (dollars) only to guide Russia to (and IN)South Africa in 2010. He loves challenges. btw "All India Football Federation" got any money??? ..............Hiddink:o!!

May Russia/Spain win:)!!

sandeeprathee
June 24th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Turkey is the best finisher as of now....it seems they are on Mission Istanbul :). who knows there might be another surprise this time also like the greeks did last time..... best part is that soccer is the winner with some stunning performances....

sad for sumit's fav Italy's loss...better luk nxt time :)

Would love to see Russia winning....n if not then let Spain enjoy the glory. But no Germany and definitely not Turkey. But the way Turkey has, so far, finished matches in this tournament...wow!! Football is a wonderful game.

May Russia/Spain win:)!!

ygulia
June 24th, 2008, 03:15 PM
My guess, Germany and Russia will play final.

sumitsehrawat
June 24th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I can only wish (not expect) Italy win all. hehehe:)!
Outside Europe, Europeans don't win. 2010 is (Messi + Aguero)'s World Cup. Argentina jeetegi... :)!

sad for sumit's fav Italy's loss...better luk nxt time :)

Nishantrathi82
June 25th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I can only wish (not expect) Italy win all. hehehe:)!
Outside Europe, Europeans don't win. 2010 is (Messi + Aguero)'s World Cup. Argentina jeetegi... :)!

Agree sir even i thought ke Argentine jeetaga(Next World cup) Messi he is awesome
But for now i wish Germany will win.

VPannu
June 29th, 2008, 09:29 PM
In about 5 hours from now Europe is going to get a new soccer champion. I wish that'd be Spain. Reports are that David Villa and Michael Ballack might have to sit on the bench due to injuries. So hopefully Francesc Fabregas might get place in the starting line up. Its a bit disappointing for Villa. But still he might finish as the top scorer of the tournament. Spain and Germany both have been in their top forms in their last matches. So we can expect a thrilling encounter in the finals.
SPAIN SPAIN SPAIN SPAIN SPAIN SPAIN SPAIN SPAIN SPAIN !!!!!:rock

VPannu
June 30th, 2008, 02:07 AM
SPAIN SPAIN SPAIN SPAIN SPAIN SPAIN SPAIN SPAIN SPAIN !!!!!:rock
See, what I told you:rolleyes: SPAIN SPAIN SPAIN SPAIN :rock:tamatar:boxing

cooljat
June 30th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Yeah, it was all the way Spain! :) Spain played like champs!

I really like the way they played with cool heads & with tactics, their passes were very accurate n small and their passing game was incredible!! :)

I really admire their mental balance & pro approach!

They certainly deserved it!!!!

Rock on
Jit

See, what I told you:rolleyes: SPAIN SPAIN SPAIN SPAIN :rock:tamatar:boxing

sumitsehrawat
July 1st, 2008, 10:09 AM
Well the underachievers finally won it. Very good football throughout the tournament by most of the European powerhouses.

Barca man Xavi was the player of the tournament even though he played very less (had to accomodate Fabregas). Russia was the find of the tournament. Guus recently declined Chelsea offer just to help Russia become a footballing force in Europe. And well, have they not started? Brilliant football from the Russians. Spain, well deservingly, rule Europe.

As for my fav... The Azzurri... the Juve icon 'Lippi' is back at helm... SA'10, here we come. btw Argentina should win SA'10 :)!

amans
July 17th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I disagree with the above poster. Italy is only a defensive team. It won the World cup by unsportsman like behaviour. Materrazzi deliberately provoked Zidane. Actually france with its over 30 players was in possession of ball for most of the game. With Zidane out, Italy won on penalty kicks. That is no way to win a game. France would have been the winner if Zidane was not expelled from the game.
Zidane was the best player of the world cup. He single handedly controlled the game against Brazil and Spain. The single goal he scored in Final against Italy was a beauty.
Strangely the above poster fails to mention Brazil. The team that plays the game with remarkable skill. That is the country that is known all over the World for the quality and calibre of players it keeps on producing non-stop.
What about Argentina. They got good players but most of them are little in stature. That showed when they lost to germany in the World cup.

sumitsehrawat
July 17th, 2008, 03:17 PM
1. Italy won the World Cup because they, for a change, were attacking at Germany'06. Period.

2. How many times have you seen Italy losing out on penalties? I have seen many a times. And, you said it is no way to lose/win a game. Btw... provocation happens all the time.... if you ever played any sport.

3. Baichung Bhutia would have single handedly won India world cup had they qualified. Ugh!!

4. Where was Zidane in the group stages...?? Three matches in the group. Zidane is great player ... no doubts but then he was NOT the best player of the tournament. Cannavaro won it ... but had it been for me I would have awarded Pirlo.

5. Zidane scored a penalty. Yes was a beauty but then a penalty is a penalty. And, were you sleeping when this happened? Did you not realize it was never a foul and penalty should never have been given? Materazzi scored a beautiful header. Did you not feel so? I too hate Materazzi but then if you talk about that match he was all around. Zidane is Zidane ... a legend... and I am not a fool to compare him with stupid Materazzi.

6. Strangely, "the above poster i.e. Bankelaal Sumit Sehrawat" wanted more people to come up and share. And, for your kind information he never doubted the 'Samba' football. Maybe he did not write because he hates Brazilians just for the same reason you hate Italy. ...m talking of US'94 where Brazil won against Italy on penalties. hehehe:)!

7. Argentina is great too. I predict the next world cup is theirs. The so called next-Maradonas (Lionel Messi and Sergio Aguero), if fit, will create havoc in opposition's defence area at SA'10.

1. Italy is only a defensive team.

2. It won the World cup by unsportsman like behaviour. Materrazzi deliberately provoked Zidane. Actually france with its over 30 players was in possession of ball for most of the game. With Zidane out, Italy won on penalty kicks. That is no way to win a game.

3. France would have been the winner if Zidane was not expelled from the game.

4. Zidane was the best player of the world cup. He single handedly controlled the game against Brazil and Spain.

5. The single goal he scored in Final against Italy was a beauty.

6. Strangely the above poster fails to mention Brazil. The team that plays the game with remarkable skill. That is the country that is known all over the World for the quality and calibre of players it keeps on producing non-stop.

7. What about Argentina. They got good players but most of them are little in stature. That showed when they lost to germany in the World cup.

amans
July 18th, 2008, 01:11 AM
1. Italy won the World Cup because they, for a change, were attacking at Germany'06. Period.

2. How many times have you seen Italy losing out on penalties? I have seen many a times. And, you said it is no way to lose/win a game. Btw... provocation happens all the time.... if you ever played any sport.

3. Baichung Bhutia would have single handedly won India world cup had they qualified. Ugh!!

4. Where was Zidane in the group stages...?? Three matches in the group. Zidane is great player ... no doubts but then he was NOT the best player of the tournament. Cannavaro won it ... but had it been for me I would have awarded Pirlo.

5. Zidane scored a penalty. Yes was a beauty but then a penalty is a penalty. And, were you sleeping when this happened? Did you not realize it was never a foul and penalty should never have been given? Materazzi scored a beautiful header. Did you not feel so? I too hate Materazzi but then if you talk about that match he was all around. Zidane is Zidane ... a legend... and I am not a fool to compare him with stupid Materazzi.

6. Strangely, "the above poster i.e. Bankelaal Sumit Sehrawat" wanted more people to come up and share. And, for your kind information he never doubted the 'Samba' football. Maybe he did not write because he hates Brazilians just for the same reason you hate Italy. ...m talking of US'94 where Brazil won against Italy on penalties. hehehe:)!

7. Argentina is great too. I predict the next world cup is theirs. The so called next-Maradonas (Lionel Messi and Sergio Aguero), if fit, will create havoc in opposition's defence area at SA'10.

1. How many goals Italy scored in world cup? It is just a defensive team. That showed in semifinal against Spain in Euro.

2. Provocations don't systematically target a Teams best player. May be you too provoke to makeup for your lack of skills since you act as if that was normal part of a game and you played quite a number of games and witnessed it all the time. Bad players do it.

3. Bhutia? who the hell is he? No one knows him but the Indian team which ranks at the bottom in the World rankings. He is anndho me kaana raja if you know what I mean.

4. Zidane was awarded the best player of the tournament award in world cup. You don't know what you are talking about. Bahut kood raha hae but doesn't even know the basic fact.

5. Zidane controlled the midfield beautifully. He played the best when it mattered the most. That is why he was awarded the trophy for the best player of the World cup. The penalty goal was one of the best ever. It was rightfully awarded. No one complained.

6. I never said I hate Italy. But they are just a defensive team. That is why it is not easy to score against them.

7. Argentina won't win the next world cup. It has good players but there are better teams then them. Even a second string Brazilian team beat them last year. Brazil has a way of coming back in World cup.

VPannu
July 18th, 2008, 09:02 AM
3. Bhutia? who the hell is he? No one knows him but the Indian team which ranks at the bottom in the World rankings. He is anndho me kaana raja if you know what I mean.
Given the standard of Soccer in India his performance has always been above par.
Till date he is the only Indian footballer who has played in European league. Though he was unsuccessful after trials for Aston Villa and Fulham. Only Indian star who shone in the all star match at Munich 12 Jul 08.
A humble sportsperson in spite of all these achievements. First sportsperson who turned down the offer to carry the Olympic 08 torch.
What the hell is he supposed to do if every youth in the country wants to play bloody cricket?
I apologize for deluding off the topic but have to save Mr. Bhutia from unwanted wrath of the people. You may carry on now.

sumitsehrawat
July 18th, 2008, 03:46 PM
My comments inline...

1. How many goals Italy scored in world cup? It is just a defensive team. That showed in semifinal against Spain in Euro.
[Sumit]: Did Italy play in semis at Euro'08?? Anyways... they scored 12 goals in 7 matches. "Just defensive" teams never win. Btw... France scored 9 goals in 7 matches.

2. Provocations don't systematically target a Teams best player. May be you too provoke to makeup for your lack of skills since you act as if that was normal part of a game and you played quite a number of games and witnessed it all the time. Bad players do it.
[Sumit]: Implied judgement...quite sick.

[Sumit]: Vivek has answered very well.

4. Zidane was awarded the best player of the tournament award in world cup. You don't know what you are talking about. Bahut kood raha hae but doesn't even know the basic fact.
[Sumit]: Yes, Zidane was the best player of the tournament. Same Zidane was beaten by Cannavaro for World player of the Year award for year 2006. Zidane got the golden ball NOT because of being best at the cup but more because of being the legend that was retiring. He was great in games against Spain and Brazil. Against Italy Pirlo ruled in midfield but Zidane had his chances but Buffon was better than him saving that thunderous header of his.

5. Zidane controlled the midfield beautifully. He played the best when it mattered the most. That is why he was awarded the trophy for the best player of the World cup. The penalty goal was one of the best ever. It was rightfully awarded. No one complained.
[Sumit]: Only in games against Spain and Brazil. He played his headbutt at the time when it mattered the most. Again, Zidane got the golden ball NOT because of being best at the cup but more because of being the legend that was retiring. Penalty that he converted was one of the best ever.... I agree. Only if you had watched that match... penalty wasn't justified.

6. I never said I hate Italy. But they are just a defensive team. That is why it is not easy to score against them.
[Sumit]: Just a defensive team? "Just"??

7. Argentina won't win the next world cup. It has good players but there are better teams then them. Even a second string Brazilian team beat them last year. Brazil has a way of coming back in World cup.
[Sumit]: No comments...let's wait till SA'20 happens.

You're right Aman...mujhe khoodna pasand hai...

satyeshwar
July 19th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Closed upon the request of the author as the discussion is going elsewhere.