PDA

View Full Version : Ronaldo: I'm The Best Player In The World

sumitsehrawat
February 8th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Ronaldo: I'm The Best Player In The World
Source: http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=577112

Cristiano Ronaldo is the best player in the world and does not need any awards to prove it - according to the man himself.
Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo was beaten to the accolade of European Footballer of the Year and FIFA World Player of the Year by AC Milan's Brazilian playmaker Kaka, but the Portuguese star, who has been in sensational form this season, scoring 27 goals in 29 matches, reckons he is the unofficial No.1.

He told The Mirror newspaper: "I don't need to demonstrate that I am the No.1 in the world.

"Over the nine months of the season the work you do will show who really is the best. If I am named the best in the world, it won't be a surprise to me.

"I'm 23 now and I never believed I would find myself in such a privileged position in the world of football, playing at the highest level for a club of United's standing.

"But now I am fully prepared for the biggest challenges that lie ahead for me as a player. I want to win everything - the Premier League, the Champions League and Euro 2008, because I am very ambitious."

His club manager, Sir Alex Ferguson, has backed Ronaldo's claim to be the best player in the world on current form, calling his goal-scoring form for the second season running "amazing."

Ronaldo scored 23 goals last season and has already exceeded that total with a third of the campaign still to go.

That is one of the things that persuades Ferguson Ronaldo is the world's best. Ronaldo is fast closing in on George Best's record 32-goal tally for a United winger in one season, set in 1967-68.

That year, Best was crowned European Footballer of the Year.

Ronaldo is already only five goals short of Best's haul, and with 14 games left for United in the Premier League, in addition to Champions League and FA Cup duties, has every chance of surpassing it and establishing a new scoring record.

Ferguson is impressed that Ronaldo has improved on his goals total in each season the has been at Old Trafford.

He joined United in the summer of 2003 as a relatively unknown 18-year old. He scored six goals in his first season, nine the next and 12 the season after that (2005-06).

Then last season he moved onto another level with 23 goals, and also won a Premier League winner's medal, plus the PFA Player of the Year and Footballer of the Year awards, which he could well win again this season.

However, although proving to be United's most influential player at he moment, Ronaldo has reitertated his wish to play in Spain in the future, and revealed his admiration for Italian football.

"I am certain over my desire to play in Spain at some stage," said Ronaldo.

"But that is not significant at the moment. I love playing for United and I am very happy in England. Italy is another league that is very attractive to me."

Ronaldo, who celebrated his 23rd birthday on Tuesday, told The Mirror: "I suffer many kicks, but I don't think that my rivals have a desire to injure me.

"My birthday was special. I was on international duty with the Portugal squad and without my family, but I was with good companions so I was content."

Thanks,
Sumit

fatehsingh
March 4th, 2008, 02:15 AM
if not the best thn surely one of the best with kaka........ronaldo poor record in champions league hurts his claim of being the best in the world,,,whereas kaka`s record in champions league is unmatchable.....his goal against liverpool in the final at athens last year was a cracker......but ronaldo`s record in English league is just great...he has already scored 25 goals this season..and still two months left in the season........surely best in the EPL