PDA

View Full Version : India 2008 Under-19 World Cup Champion

sumitsehrawat
March 2nd, 2008, 08:28 PM
Thanks to rain ...India won[:)]!

Heavy rains reduced the under-19 World Cup final between India and South Africa to 25 overs. The target for South Africa was revised to 116 in 25 overs in reply to India’s score of 159. SA fell 12 runs short.

For more info... http://www.cricketndtv.com/convergence/ndtvcricket/cricketstory.aspx?id=SPOEN20080042839

Apart from the finals in which I thought we were lucky to win...the rest of the tournament we played quite decent.

Thanks,
Sumit

trueblueindian
March 2nd, 2008, 10:21 PM
what matters is we WON ... luck has been aganst india so many times and that has't gone in record books ...

on the other side SA's luck when it comes to be world champions i cricket is really bad ..

all in all celebrating the indian win ... many congrats to young guns of indian cricket

vijay
March 2nd, 2008, 11:44 PM
Record books always recognize the records only ........ doesn't care that how many times some Tendulkars given out wrongly .........

So, Our Under -19 folks are World Champs and that matters only :)

anilsinghd
March 3rd, 2008, 01:37 AM
Record books always recognize the records only ........ doesn't care that how many times some Tendulkars given out wrongly .........

So, Our Under -19 folks are World Champs and that matters only :)

Yup good work by the guys !! Hope we dont give them enough fame for them to get distracted !

LEt them continue their hard work !

trueblueindian
March 3rd, 2008, 11:58 AM
Yup good work by the guys !! Hope we dont give them enough fame for them to get distracted !

LEt them continue their hard work !

hahhaa for your info they have done this twice now .. guess they are on right track

cooljat
March 3rd, 2008, 01:06 PM
Congrats to them all!
keep rising!

Rock on
Jit

satyakarwasra
March 3rd, 2008, 02:25 PM
Pradeep Sangwan of Delhi, a left-arm medium pacer who swings the ball both ways at a nippy pace, had earlier crippled South Africa in league match by a devastating opening spell that fetched five wickets .

This 17 year old is ripping! Just as he ripped out all-comers in the Ranji to lead his team, Delhi to the Ranji title after more than a decade!

This boy is a future star!!

sumitsehrawat
March 3rd, 2008, 06:07 PM
Yup! Pradeep is very talented. I hope he continues working hard not just on his bowling but on his fitness as well. India, for sure, is producing good fast bowlers of late. I would give much of the credit for this to the MRF Pace Foundation. But sadly, Munaf and Pathan (even though they are doing ok) have lost their pace...Zaheer is nowhere to be seen...Balaji, Nehra could never 'actually' recover from injuries. Ishant has already started 'feeling' it.

We need to work on their fitness right from the stage Pradeep Sangwan is in today. We got to do that.

Thanks,
Sumit

Pradeep Sangwan of Delhi, a left-arm medium pacer who swings the ball both ways at a nippy pace, had earlier crippled South Africa in league match by a devastating opening spell that fetched five wickets .

This 17 year old is ripping! Just as he ripped out all-comers in the Ranji to lead his team, Delhi to the Ranji title after more than a decade!

This boy is a future star!!

anilsinghd
March 3rd, 2008, 08:44 PM
hahhaa for your info they have done this twice now .. guess they are on right track

I was not against the lads , ( sorry if u have felt that way ) ! I was against the over - hype that the media gives to these guys , sometimes , they tend to relax.

:)

trueblueindian
March 3rd, 2008, 09:17 PM
I was not against the lads , ( sorry if u have felt that way ) ! I was against the over - hype that the media gives to these guys , sometimes , they tend to relax.

:)

yup u r correct dear .. .. rahi media ki baat tae faltu log siwai faltu kaama key kar bhi sakkey sei ... never expect anything sensible from them as we all as indians know their standards ..

arrr sort of i laughed not after misreading your genuine concern ... but just commented that the guys are on right track as they repeated their efforts ... also the word MEDIA ... is gud enough reason to laugh ... hey hey

I DO WISH THE VERY BEST FOR SANGWAN CHAP ... wishing to see him doing excelent at senior level also in times to come ..

sumitsehrawat
March 20th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Source: http://cricket.indiatimes.com/quickiearticleshow/msid-2880201.cms

Whether IPL is a boon or bane to Indian cricket remains to be seen when it begins, but one thing is absolutely certain that young Indian cricketers will manipulate all possible loopholes in the system to make it to the under-19 or the under-22. This is especially crucial in the context of IPL now.The huge sums of money being doled out to these youngsters from the IPL will ensure that they will never "grow".

Recently, Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi and Bishan Singh Bedi said in a television programme that some of the boys in the India under-19 World Cup team didn’t look under-19. They aren’t too far from the truth. I’ve been following the careers of some of these cricketers and the date of birth that they provided to the BCCI and their physical appearance just don’t match up.

Let’s take the cases of Tanmay Srivastava, Saurabh Tiwary. Though Test bowler Piyush Chawla wasn’t part of the under-19 World Cup team, his case is very interesting. Srivastava of UP was born on November 7, 1989 and played his first match for UP under-14 against Rajasthan on October 31, 2000 at the age of (believe-it-or-faint)10. Is that ever possible? Tiwary, too, was 11 when he played for Bihar against Orissa in the under-14 match on December 20, 2000. Srivastava, according to website cricketarchive, has played a whopping total of 117 matches for the state whereas Chawla has played 118 matches. From 2002 onwards Srivastava was playing in under-15, under-17 and in 2003 he played his first under-19 match against MP. This means he has been playing under-19 for five years which is against the rules of the BCCI. Certainly, a world record of sorts, which the BCCI and the ICC must investigate.

His counterpart from UP, Piyush Chawla has done what no other junior cricketer could achieve. Born on November 24 ,1988 Chawla went on the tour of Sri Lanka in 2002 October with the India under-17 team. After returning from the tour on October 9, he played under-19 for UP on October 24, 2002 (he was yet to complete 14) and within seven weeks on December 15, 2002 he was with the India under-15 team for the Asia Cup. So in 2002, Chawla played all the three age group tournaments in a span of three months. Another record.

If that sounds ludicrous, sample this: Another UP player Ali Murtuza seems to have played under-14 when he wasn’t even ten and at the age of 14 he was playing the under-22 for the state. Funnily most of the UP cricketers are born in November or December. Mohammad Kaif and RP Singh in December, Raina, Srivastava and Chawla in November.

Tiwary, who has a hairstyle similar to Dhoni, didn’t play any cricket for Jharkhand for three years from 2003 to 2006 after he played under-15 in 2003. If he was so talented why was he not picked for the state’s under-17 team? He played for the under-19 last year and was in the India World Cup team.

And the BCCI has given Rs 15 lakhs to each player for winning the under-19 World Cup. Mr Pawar, aren’t we encouraging cheats ?

Prof Ratnakar Shetty, Chief Administrative Officer of the BCCI and the Treasurer of the MCA, has tackled this age menace in Mumbai by not letting selectors pick such players for the state. In fact, he was very consciously and diligently researching whether age verification tests can be carried out by the medico-legal experts.

It seems, there is no other solution than to stop the age group tournaments and instead have inter-school tournaments. The advantage of having the inter-school is not only that the overage problem could be sorted out but we will get to watch educated cricketers. The present generation of cricketers see education as a purposeless exercise. Why study if without it we can earn money is the oft-repeated question and inherent logic for shunning studies.

Serious issue

The overage trend is a serious issue and one expects Prof Shetty to take up the matter with the BCCI. He is the only BCCI official who understands the value of the cricketers having education. The rest seem to be preoccupied with the IPL and banning ICL.