PDA

View Full Version : Biased Media

sanjeetsparp
March 30th, 2008, 01:06 AM
These days i am noticing that Media is totally biased in every aspect now a days and perhaps out of news , as i have seen now a days Media is not a news media, they are the media of infotainment. Very little news and most of the induced analysis. All the channels now a days focusing on bollywood, cricket and no news other than this. The channels which has works now a days are business channels which gives atleast news related to their field and with very limited masala.

Very less aspects of community development, government schemes and their impact on public. All we can find is criticism of NDA/BJP and all praise for UPA/Congress and ofcourse their ladla Rahul Gandhi, who always talked about Amethi. Despite all his flop shows in UP, Gujarat, Himachal he is still the hero and getting more new than the chief ministers of state and prime minister.

All the talk shows and interviews are biased. Some are good like "Karan Thaper's" - The Devils Advocte and We the People.

Still the people like Prabhu Chawala - of Seedhi Baat Fame of Aaj Tak .... you can see the cheapness in the questions in this programme and infotainment in "Janta ki Adaalat"

Once in a summit of Correspondents and Journalists Former President Kalaam said " Media Should be a Media of 100 crore people not of 25% people who are living in cities.

But still the Indian Media is searching its roots and identity, which they always find in the feet of Government and Mighty people.

Let us Discuss here what should be the role of Indian Media.....

These are my views and i have written here what i observed from news quality now a days. This is not meant to heart anyone.

kabir
March 30th, 2008, 01:18 AM
As I can understand from your post, by media you meant electronic media. It has been slightly over a decade since we have started having private news channels. TRPs dictate the content and thus, media is showing what the people, I mean majority of the people, want to see.

Anyways, I won't read too much into it. As our society evolves, our media will evolve too.

ygulia
March 30th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Same story exists in other parts of the world as well. People think, in particular American, that whatever is shown on CNN is truth. CNN never gives a true picture of any event. The western world's media is more gaged than Indian media. I have noticed that in Indian TV channel you can play any video film which shows you and channel does not have consent to telecast it. The law in North America prohibits telecast of any such film. If some one takes your picture intentionaly without your consent(Which is normally done in divorce cases to prove something) then that picture is not admissible as evidence.
My experience says Indian media is more transparent than the western media.

desijat
March 30th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Everyone out there is doing a Business. None of the channels is making profits, it is a show running on margins.. where do you think money is flowing from?

Anyways coming back to topic.

With regards to electronic media, we have seen channels like IBN7, Aaj Tak and Star news changing themselves into entertainment channels with a bit of news element in it. The reason is simple, majority of 100 crore population sees it and they get TRPs which ultimately gets converted into Ads.

For instance, an Aaj Tak gets more TRP for showing Saif-Karina story than a NDTV India showing problems related to farmers in Vidharbha... Blaming media for our viewership is not fair.

With regards to Print - Times group is well known for its sale policy, we can buy space with them to put forward our story.... so where's the credibility?
If i was to blv the recent gossip then even HT is planning to the same.
Tabloids are known for gossips, Mid Day, Metro Now are surviving on masala news, though sales figures are not going up as they expected, but they are thr.

desijat
March 30th, 2008, 02:46 PM
By the way

for the third consecutive year Aaj Tak has been rated as best news channel and Prabhu Chawla as best anchor at yesterday held Sansui Awards

desijat
March 30th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Very less aspects of community development, government schemes and their impact on public. All we can find is criticism of NDA/BJP and all praise for UPA/Congress and ofcourse their ladla Rahul Gandhi, who always talked about Amethi. Despite all his flop shows in UP, Gujarat, Himachal he is still the hero and getting more new than the chief ministers of state and prime minister.

You might be a Pro-BJP that is why you are failing to see some of the issues that media made a hue n cry about recently. For instance:

Farmers suiciding
Inflation
Bus corridor in Delhi
Laid back attitude of govt in Delhi on Commenwealth preparation
Criticism of state govt in Maharashtra for delay in action againt Raj Thackrey

These are just a few cases which i have mentioned where in media was targetting Congress and putting it in bad lime-light.

If Rahul Gandhi is touring all India, meeting people, doing a campaign then Media is ought to do a story as a Rahul Gandhi is anyday more impactful than any of the current BJP leader(If they have decided who is the leader).

sumitsehrawat
March 30th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Star News is more biased than any other News channel in India. Not to mention they are absolutely Rubbish too:mad:. I remember how they once told "Captain ka laadla Sehwag muft me team me" when Sehwag went through a bad patch. There are many other absurd instances... here is one:

Just check this out...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZffwpbjfGwM&feature=related

Listen to the schlocky narration and see the cheap graphics...I think Star News should be banned.

1. "Deepika Padukone : Bindaas Baala"
2. "Deepika to jaise nyote ke intezaar me baithi thi..."
3. "Ishq ka diya jala to parwaana ud chala"
4. Deepika to Yuvi ke dil ke kamre me tikne pahuchi hai..."
5. "Matlab aag ander tak lagi hai"
6. "Dil ta tota bina bataye hi zazbaato ka pinjara khol kar ud gaya"
7. "Roomani hawa ke jhoke me jhool rahe hai dono prem panchi..."

aagey sunta to meri maut ho jaati so I gave up and closed the link.

:mad::mad:,
Sumit

brainspeak
March 30th, 2008, 07:22 PM
As I can understand from your post, by media you meant electronic media. It has been slightly over a decade since we have started having private news channels. TRPs dictate the content and thus, media is showing what the people, I mean majority of the people, want to see.

Anyways, I won't read too much into it. As our society evolves, our media will evolve too.

well...it cud be said tht people are just seeing wht they r bombarded with....they r not being given a choice...
i agree tht the hardcore analysis nd the issuebased approach towards is nt always appealing nd people do look for some "masala"....but only "masala" nd no news is also undesirable...all the crap in the name of news gets tiresome...

hopefully,things wud change for better...

brainspeak
March 30th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Star News is more biased than any other News channel in India. Not to mention they are absolutely Rubbish too:mad:. I remember how they once told "Captain ka laadla Sehwag muft me team me" when Sehwag went through a bad patch. There are many other absurd instances... here is one:

Just check this out...

Listen to the schlocky narration and see the cheap graphics...I think Star News should be banned.

Sumit

talking abt star news...these guys r obsessed with "great khali"..the WWE wrestler....every time i surf channels i come across khali throwing around his hapless opponents on star news...

desijat
March 30th, 2008, 11:18 PM
[QUOTE=brainspeak;164771]well...it cud be said tht people are just seeing wht they r bombarded with....they r not being given a choice...
[QUOTE]

Absolutely not!!!

People, specially in India are not used to see what they are bombarded with. It is their individual choice to see what they want.

Why dont people have a choice? talking about media only we still have sensible news channels but surprisingly their TRPs are not a great booster.... People are being served what they wish to see

desijat
March 30th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Some observations which put media in tight spot:

# Media is disconnected with 70 per cent of the population and is not talking to them. During elections, it is these 70 per cent who make news. During such time, all the opinion polls will be washed away due to huge under current of these voters.

# Except one TV channel and one newspaper in the whole country, not one media organisation thought Union agriculture minister Sharad Pawar admission in Parliament that about 1.6 lakh farmers committed suicide between 1997 and 2007, was news.

# Mass media even failed to report the outcome of a house-to-house survey of farmers, conducted by the Maharashtra government, which revealed that 2 million farming families were in a highly distressed state

# Indian media is giving importance only for the “elite” section of society. 512 media representatives cover a week-long fashion show held every year in Bombay, while six representatives of the national media do not wish to stay in villages to study and report the causes of farmers’ suicide in the Vidharabha region.

# Budget announcement of waiving of farm loans of over Rs. 50,000 crore has been described as “unprecedented” in the mass media, when such concessions were being given to the corporate sector every year.

# While the media spoke about the farmers and there were panel discussion on television channels, there were no farmers or somebody who knew about farming on the panel.

trueblueindian
March 31st, 2008, 12:52 AM
all i know is it is really pathetic to watch any news channel for that matter ... the headlines and especially the way they are put to a viewer's ear simply puts me off ..
CNN and BBC are any day better ... the human tendencey of knowing things allways exists and that persuades me also to watch news but mostly the channels mentioned above score might as well the news i am wathing relates to me or not atleast they are not a pain to one's ears ,,, and that makes you listen them also

Indian electronic media is pathetic no doubts about that ...

as far as the commercial aspect is concerned they hav a justified theory behind that and i do agree with vikas ... they show woy ppl largely are interested in

and as kabir said our media will evolve as our society will .. . .simply no doubts on this

brainspeak
March 31st, 2008, 01:54 AM
[QUOTE=brainspeak;164771]well...it cud be said tht people are just seeing wht they r bombarded with....they r not being given a choice...
[QUOTE]

Absolutely not!!!

People, specially in India are not used to see what they are bombarded with. It is their individual choice to see what they want.

Why dont people have a choice? talking about media only we still have sensible news channels but surprisingly their TRPs are not a great booster.... People are being served what they wish to see

well , lets discuss.....
the issue at hand is tht people want to see news and they r being provided the news....
nd the players involved can be divided into 2 categories....
category 1>> the "good channels"....those provide content based news nd proper analysis ...these r namely-- ndtv grp nd cnn-ibn grp ...(kindly add tp the list if u think some other channel is gud enuf..)
category 2>> the "bad channels"...their content is nuthing to write abt...nd the main culprits include-- aajtak,zee,indiatv,live india etc etc....

now the news channels in category 2 r the ones with higher trps...nd higher revenues...nd as it always happens good guys finish last....
i think u r in agreement with me upto this point...(u can disagree in the categorisation of channels)

now how to increase the trps..thts the main question...simple!!...sensationalize the news....expose the viewer to those aspects of the news item which he/she never knew ever existed....show them graphic visuals..add lots of ifs nd buts...nd u have the trps!!
eg-Indiatv launched itself by airing MMS scandals....
people began watching these items bcoz they were different from the routine reporting....nd were source of entertainment...infotainmnent- rightly mentioned by someone...but the regular reporting didnt lose its place...prabhu chawla was his regular fiery self who wud grill his guests...but then another thing happened....the market was flooded with news channels...nd to retain their place in the market nd take max share out of the ad revenues the channels resorted to cheap theatrics....gone were the days of decent nd issue based reporting....
another reason for higher trps-- their medium of transmission i.e. hindi....this segment is larger than english speaking one...so natural for category 2 channels to have higher trps...(NDTV-India nd IBN7 r the hindi news channels nd out of these IBN7 resorted to certain theatrics when it was first launched, maybe to get noticed but the core reporting was still there...while ndtvIndia has still maintained its dignity)....so wht started as infotainment has transformed itself into pure entertainment nd tht too of low quality...
as for people's willingness....they r willing to watch tv..tht much is clear...but do they really wanna watch the crap shown in the name of news, i m not so sure.

p.s- another question tht arises why so many news channels??....its pure economics....it is easier to setup nd sustain a news channel then a full fledged entertainment channel..

anilsinghd
March 31st, 2008, 04:29 AM
regarding the issue of whther the people are forced to see or the people choose , i believe its the way u look at it.

its like a circular kind of situation.

what they are forced to see becomes their choice at some point of time.

but i would tend to side with vikas , because i guess we all try and live in a fancy world , we wish to watch what is fascinating.

charm is the buzzword ! isnt it ?
some may call it masala!!!
being difft is considered being COOL !!!

sanjeetsparp
March 31st, 2008, 10:25 AM
You might be a Pro-BJP that is why you are failing to see some of the issues that media made a hue n cry about recently. For instance:

Farmers suiciding
Inflation
Bus corridor in Delhi
Laid back attitude of govt in Delhi on Commenwealth preparation
Criticism of state govt in Maharashtra for delay in action againt Raj Thackrey

These are some of the issues Media has tried to highlight .. but what was the impact of those news.
The bus corridors are still on the ways ... and now more corridors are coming up
yesterday there was a big debate about the infaltion on NDTV "Hum Log" nice one ...

But the problem is give news first ..... that this is the news in particular and analysis should be later on .... DD News is doing it. It first give the news and give the details and later on they go for the analysis.

But if the TRP is everything. I was a regular listener of News Channels but now a days if use to listen on DD News for 30 min and only watch the programmes done by some of the good analysists.

I am not associated with a party . but the programmes of NDA were more successful than the UPA at their regime. This is reality as i have done many social research about the government scheme during my tenure with ACNielsen and in that they were more realistic about the public policies than congress.

There are regular studies and analysis about the government policies and their pen India impact but the reports are getting dumped in ministries and no media channel go and show the results of those reports.

The analysis are also biased in these news channels. NDTV India in Hindi electronic media and CNN IBN and Times Now are doing Good. Rest all i can say are entertainment channels. India TV is Bandar Banderiya Channel. NDTV is also good but a bit slower than CNN IBN and Times Now.

No News channel is a channel of 100 Crore people of india and all are related to urban areas only.

desijat
March 31st, 2008, 10:50 AM
The bus corridors are still on the ways ... and now more corridors are coming up

The analysis are also biased in these news channels. NDTV India in Hindi electronic media and CNN IBN and Times Now are doing Good. Rest all i can say are entertainment channels. India TV is Bandar Banderiya Channel. NDTV is also good but a bit slower than CNN IBN and Times Now.

No News channel is a channel of 100 Crore people of india and all are related to urban areas only.

Govt will not speak untill Bus Corridors are completed(Trust me on this one)

Secondly... UPA Vs. NDA is a seprate debate, sounds good, let us keep it for another thread

desijat
March 31st, 2008, 10:58 AM
now the news channels in category 2 r the ones with higher trps...nd higher revenues...nd as it always happens good guys finish last....
i think u r in agreement with me upto this point...(u can disagree in the categorisation of channels)..

First disagreement ... NDTV and CNN IBN are making more profits. The reason is simple- Qualitu audience sees it and impact is more as products that place ads are are directly hitting the influencers

p.s- another question tht arises why so many news channels??....its pure economics....it is easier to setup nd sustain a news channel then a full fledged entertainment channel..
Just a little insight on upcoming channels -

Besides the chain that NDTV and Network 18 group has started and increasing here is a list of what more to expect soon-
9X group - Launching a couple channels focussing upon business and daily news (Lead by Peter Mukherjee of Star)
Triveni group of infrastructure - Launching 6 channels ranging from luxury to news
Miditech group - Starting with entertainment channels, might enter news channel arena soon

kabir
March 31st, 2008, 12:21 PM
I wouldn't venture to observe that there is a dearth of choice. Nothing against the vernacular media but the English channels generally more restrained. In Hindi as well, there is NDTV India and I must say, their one-hour programme by the title of 'Special Report', mostly featuring Ravish Kumar, is one of the very best programmes I have seen on any channel, any language.

well...it cud be said tht people are just seeing wht they r bombarded with....they r not being given a choice...
i agree tht the hardcore analysis nd the issuebased approach towards is nt always appealing nd people do look for some "masala"....but only "masala" nd no news is also undesirable...all the crap in the name of news gets tiresome...

hopefully,things wud change for better...

ajayrohtak
April 21st, 2008, 03:40 AM
ban star news..........its a shame on india...more than news they play saas-bahu and bollywood gossips:(

Samarkadian
April 21st, 2008, 04:48 AM
These days i am noticing that Media is totally biased in every aspect now a days and perhaps out of news , as i have seen now a days Media is not a news media, they are the media of infotainment. Very little news and most of the induced analysis. All the channels now a days focusing on bollywood, cricket and no news other than this. The channels which has works now a days are business channels which gives atleast news related to their field and with very limited masala.

All the talk shows and interviews are biased. Some are good like "Karan Thaper's" - The Devils Advocte and We the People.

Still the people like Prabhu Chawala - of Seedhi Baat Fame of Aaj Tak .... you can see the cheapness in the questions in this programme and infotainment in "Janta ki Adaalat"

Once in a summit of Correspondents and Journalists Former President Kalaam said " Media Should be a Media of 100 crore people not of 25% people who are living in cities.

But still the Indian Media is searching its roots and identity, which they always find in the feet of Government and Mighty people.

Let us Discuss here what should be the role of Indian Media.....

These are my views and i have written here what i observed from news quality now a days. This is not meant to heart anyone.

Right now role is just of an exclusive pimp.Next role I cant comprehend. During pre-independance there were fewer newspapers and effectively reaching to the people now there is 'media-industry' with low or no quality in feedback or follow up.To change it or improve it, corporatations behind media must be abolished which wont be and cant be done by hired journalists and reporters.Lets not behave like hired mourners on media. :)

jatriski99
April 21st, 2008, 03:47 PM
To some extent I agreed media is not focusing on certain things, which is what we called the 'social responsibility of the media'. for that we need to understand the whole structure. see we small journo are under control of our bosses, we do what we told to do.Our big bosses are under influence of some or other political people n businessmen. every channel supports some or other party becoz politicians help channels financially and also in many ways.see elections+ media+ politicians, 'aap bhi khao hum bhi khaate hain' tendency. but exceptions are alwys there no doubt NDTV is doing a good job.
see money is a big thing, I've been in media for the last one year n I've felt that the so called intellectuals holding news channels have lost their morality. some of them are misusing their powers. we are the small 'piyadas' 'badi machaliyan' are eating small one every day n big 'magarmachh' is enjoying .
It is happening every where. har kise ko chahiye paise ,system ko badal ne ke liye usme rehna is important usse takra yegne to system tume nikal fekega.

trueblueindian
April 21st, 2008, 10:54 PM
To some extent I agreed media is not focusing on certain things, which is what we called the 'social responsibility of the media'. for that we need to understand the whole structure. see we small journo are under control of our bosses, we do what we told to do.Our big bosses are under influence of some or other political people n businessmen. every channel supports some or other party becoz politicians help channels financially and also in many ways.see elections+ media+ politicians, 'aap bhi khao hum bhi khaate hain' tendency. but exceptions are alwys there no doubt NDTV is doing a good job.
see money is a big thing, I've been in media for the last one year n I've felt that the so called intellectuals holding news channels have lost their morality. some of them are misusing their powers. we are the small 'piyadas' 'badi machaliyan' are eating small one every day n big 'magarmachh' is enjoying .
It is happening every where. har kise ko chahiye paise ,system ko badal ne ke liye usme rehna is important usse takra yegne to system tume nikal fekega.

Pragya bring the change by your own self IF YOU CAN ... you have years to come ... if u dont fall into the same sloughter

wishing u the very best

Maniisha
April 22nd, 2008, 11:53 PM

As per my views television channels are now days following yellow page journalism or peeping tom journalism, where their prime concern is peeping into the private lives of rich and famous. They are not really bothered about the issues of the common man. They are just worried about their TRP’s. Even I feel the very journalists who were the voice of the common man have become the puppets of the media and political parties. Even the news items presented on these channels are biased in the favor of party or muscle power. So I feel instead of practicing the yellow page journalism these channels should try to improve their identity and reach out to common masses and help them to raise their voice against the anti social elements.

sidchhikara
April 23rd, 2008, 03:23 AM

Just check this out...

Sumit

Hahahaha !

Star TV is owned by Rupert Murdoch under parent company News Corp.
News corp has some of the worst channels in the US - namely Fox News, Fox Business Channel. These channels are totally biased and pro Bush administration. All their news and opinion shows (which are full of bull$hit) are made fun of by the other media outlets and independent orgs.

I have seen star news... I think it is totally retarded.

sanjeetsparp
April 23rd, 2008, 11:38 AM

Haan shayad aap theek keh rehi hain madam ..... aaj kel saara media ... kuch logon ka gulaam ho gaya hai or paisa kemaane ka jariya .. ek social responsibility naam ki cheej thee .. wo aajkel ye log Page - 3 wale logon ko cover ker ke poori ker rahe hain ..... nightout jaise programmes main ..... there is nothing can be more social then those.......

Media ki haalat dekh ke taras aata hai ....... aaj kel ye log shayad Dalal ho gaye hain netaon ke, business groups ke, criminals ke, police ke or aajkel Red Brigade ke bhi .... aaj kel dono taraf se khaate hain jis ki news dikhaani hai or jis ke nahi dikhaani hai ..... kisi din in logon ka sting operation kerna padega

sanjeetsparp
April 23rd, 2008, 11:43 AM
Right now role is just of an exclusive pimp.Next role I cant comprehend. During pre-independance there were fewer newspapers and effectively reaching to the people now there is 'media-industry' with low or no quality in feedback or follow up.To change it or improve it, corporatations behind media must be abolished which wont be and cant be done by hired journalists and reporters.Lets not behave like hired mourners on media. :)

Ya News channels are mushrooming up and now no one has deep reach in the rural India .. everyone has limited access to news and the access is to every channel .......... after some time they will start giving news to their own channels and will relay the exclusive programme of "bathroom of stars", "Pets of Stars". And after that they will give news of each and every channel.

And the information will be like the classified of Times of India
Only for 5 to 7 star guests
hotel home available
Open minded M/F available
Russian, Indian, Spanish
Call Lily XXXXXXXXXXXXX

that we will see as a news in media soon

ksphogat
April 23rd, 2008, 11:16 PM
:mad: You all are correct in describing the current status of the media. I am reading The Times of India since 1982, but of late has observed that their quality of news reporting is going down. They some times repeat the news just to fill up the columns of the paper. The times mag page 3 is more of soft pron then news. The Zee and Star news channel are more like manohar kahaniya then any news channel.

anjalidabas09
April 25th, 2008, 07:01 PM
i think realization of the responsibility towards the society is needed to solve this otherwise unresolved issue regarding the attitude of media.this realization should come from both the sides media as well as the members of our society..
its true that media has forgotten its role but we as the active members of the society can change this scenario.unfortunately people perhaps are more interested in a love strife of stars than nuclear deal.