PDA

View Full Version : Federer Vs Nadal: French Open 2008

sumitsehrawat
June 8th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Federer Vs Nadal

We all know about the legend that Roger Federer is. He’s being ruling men’s tennis for quite sometime now. For quite a few years there were really no challengers. The Hewitts, the Roddicks came and went. This post is dedicated to a player who rose to the occasion not once or twice but 10 times out of a total 16 times he played against the legend ------Rafael Nadal is the name. (Federer still rules, Nadal and Djokovic are ranked lower than him as per ATP rankings)

When Gustavo Kuerten used to play at Roland Garros I thought never in my life I would see anyone playing any better than him on clay. I was wrong. The King of Clay was yet to arrive. Rafael Nadal won my heart.

In 2005, he entered Roland Garros and despite being a debutant he was the favourite to win. Never before in the history of the game was a debutant considered as favourite. He did not disappoint and won the French Open 2005, and had beaten Federer in the semis. Year 2006 he won again beating Federer in finals…. Year 2007 was repeat of year 2006 finals. He again beat Federer in finals. Tomorrow again they play in the French Open final. Nadal would eye Borg’s record of four consecutive French Open titles while Federer would want to win his first French title and close in the gap on legendary Pete Sampras for the maximum number of grand slams titles.

In the last two meetings, Nadal beat Federer in Master’s in Monte Carlo (April) and Hamburg(May) this year. You can also checkout the legendary Bjorn Borg sitting in the President’s box.

As usual, I back Nadal to lift his fourth tomorrow.

Out of sixteen matches thet have played, Rafael has won 10 and Federer 6. 9 of those matches were on clay and Nadal has won 8 of them. For more details on the rivalry…. Please go through… http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/2008news/federer_nadal.asp

Thanks… :)!!

P.S.: {Euro 2008 update: Pepe's just scored against Turkey. Despite having the worst season of his lifetime at Barcelona this year....my favourite Portuguese 'Deco' did not disappoint me at international level. He's had a good game so far. I see Ronaldo heading US.... Beckham's way. Get lost to Bernabeu you silly boy...u too will end up in LA Galaxy one day:) hehehe :D:D!!

dkumars
June 8th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Federer Vs Nadal

We all know about the legend that Roger Federer is. He’s being ruling men’s tennis for quite sometime now. For quite a few years there were really no challengers. The Hewitts, the Roddicks came and went. This post is dedicated to a player who rose to the occasion not once or twice but 10 times out of a total 16 times he played against the legend ------Rafael Nadal is the name. (Federer still rules, Nadal and Djokovic are ranked lower than him as per ATP rankings)

When Gustavo Kuerten used to play at Roland Garros I thought never in my life I would see anyone playing any better than him on clay. I was wrong. The King of Clay was yet to arrive. Rafael Nadal won my heart.

In 2005, he entered Roland Garros and despite being a debutant he was the favourite to win. Never before in the history of the game was a debutant considered as favourite. He did not disappoint and won the French Open 2005, and had beaten Federer in the semis. Year 2006 he won again beating Federer in finals…. Year 2007 was repeat of year 2006 finals. He again beat Federer in finals. Tomorrow again they play in the French Open final. Nadal would eye Borg’s record of four consecutive French Open titles while Federer would want to win his first French title and close in the gap on legendary Pete Sampras for the maximum number of grand slams titles.

In the last two meetings, Nadal beat Federer in Master’s in Monte Carlo (April) and Hamburg(May) this year. You can also checkout the legendary Bjorn Borg sitting in the President’s box.

As usual, I back Nadal to lift his fourth tomorrow.

Out of sixteen matches thet have played, Rafael has won 10 and Federer 6. 9 of those matches were on clay and Nadal has won 8 of them. For more details on the rivalry…. Please go through… http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/2008news/federer_nadal.asp

Thanks… :)!!

P.S.: {Euro 2008 update: Pepe's just scored against Turkey. Despite having the worst season of his lifetime at Barcelona this year....my favourite Portuguese 'Deco' did not disappoint me at international level. He's had a good game so far. I see Ronaldo heading US.... Beckham's way. Get lost to Bernabeu you silly boy...u too will end up in LA Galaxy one day:) hehehe :D:D!!

I bet on Federer. Lets see :)

sumitsehrawat
June 8th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Nadal beats Federer 6-1, 6-3, 6-0 and completes the formality. Today, Federer was playing like a school kid. Nadal gave him no chance.

Nadal has no match on clay. He is the KING OF CLAY.

Nishantrathi82
June 9th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Nadal beats Federer 6-1, 6-3, 6-0 and completes the formality. Today, Federer was playing like a school kid. Nadal gave him no chance.

Correct sumit Nadal is the king of clay he has never losse a match on clay court since his debut in 2005.
But yesterday's match was really a disappointed one from Federer's side, i had never expected for such a bad performance from federer.
Although Nadal wins but still my Favourite is Federer.

sumitsehrawat
July 7th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Nadal broke many records as he amazed Federer 6-4, 6-4, 6-7, 6-7, 9-7 to lift Wimbledon Cup in one of the finest finals ever played. Great quality, supreme tennis...for its not everyday you see Federer sweating on grass.

Last year, at Wimbledon, he had almost beaten Federer, this year he won. He continues to amaze people around the world with his capability to play awesome tennis on both grass and clay. Wonderful player! Winning Roland Garros and Wimbledon back to back...Gosh! this boy's got something in him.

sumitsehrawat
July 7th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/7490443.stm

Rafael Nadal held off an incredible fightback from Roger Federer to win his first Wimbledon title and end the Swiss star's reign at the All England Club.

The Spaniard missed two championship points in the fourth set but recovered to win a dramatic rain-interrupted match 6-4 6-4 6-7 (3-7) 6-7 (8-10) 9-7. The final shot was struck in near darkness on Centre Court at 2115 BST. Nadal, 22, is the the first man since Bjorn Borg in 1980 to win the French Open and Wimbledon back to back.

Asked about the moment of victory, Nadal told BBC Sport: "It's impossible to explain what I felt in that moment but I'm very very happy. "It is a dream to play on this court, my favourite tournament, but to win I never imagined." Federer said: "I tried everything, got a little late, but look, Rafa is a deserving champion, he just played fantastic.

"(The rain) didn't make it easier but you have to expect the worst and he's the worst opponent on the best court. It's a pity I couldn't win it but I'll be back next year." Federer, 26, had been trying to become only the second man to win six consecutive Wimbledon titles, and so surpass Borg to match Willie Renshaw, who played in the 1880s. The defeat brought to an end his unbeaten run of 65 matches on grass, and arguably his reign as the undisputed king of tennis.

On sealing victory, a tearful Nadal climbed through the stands to celebrate with his family and supporters before heading to the royal box to speak to members of the Spanish royal family. Federer, meanwhile, suffered the unpleasant experience of watching, dejected, from his chair as he came to terms with finishing runner-up for the first time. It may be little consolation but he played his part in one of the great finals. The pre-match billing had it down as tennis's version of a world heavyweight title fight and it lived up to the hype, Nadal finally winning the longest Wimbledon men's singles final ever after four hours, 48 minutes.

He now adds the Wimbledon crown to the four French Open titles he has won, while Federer will look to defend his one remaining Grand Slam title at the US Open next month. Nadal went into the match as the favourite in some people's eyes, having thrashed Federer in last month's Roland Garros final and with an 11-6 head-to-head record against the Swiss. And after a half-hour delay to the start because of rain, the Mallorcan made the better start with a break in game three, saving three break points on his way to the first set. The momentum shifted at the start of the second as Federer raced to a 4-1 lead, whipping a vicious cross-court forehand for a winner to finally convert a break point in game two, but Nadal came roaring back with five straight games for a two-set lead. With dark clouds gathering overhead, Federer looked ready to be put out of his misery at 3-3, 0-40, in the third but the champion roused himself superbly, reeling off five straight points and holding serve to lead 5-4 when rain stopped play after two hours and 14 minutes. Play resumed following a break of 80 minutes and when it came down to a tie-break, Federer dominated with some huge forehands and unstoppable serving, sealing it with an ace.

The fourth set saw both men inspired and by the closing stages the enthralled Centre Court crowd were chanting the names of both men. Another tie-break was required to separate the pair - and it was an all-time classic. Federer recovered from 5-2 down only to miss a set point with a wayward forehand. Nadal then lost his first championship point at 7-6 when Federer hit a winning serve, and the Swiss saved a second match point with an outrageous backhand winner. The match was destined for a fifth set, and Federer obliged with a service winner to the delight of an enraptured 15,000 spectators.

When the rain returned at 1933 BST with the score at 2-2 in the decider it seemed likely that everyone would be back on Monday, but the shower passed after 50 minutes and battle was rejoined. Despite the gathering gloom, the fifth set was simply breathtaking. Federer earned a set point in game eight, Nadal two in game 11, but both players remained rock solid under the pressure until they were locked at 7-7. Three more break points were saved by Federer but the champion was rocking, and Nadal finally landed the knockout blow when the world number one was forced into a forehand error.

All that remained was for Nadal to serve out for the title and, after Federer saved championship point number three with a rasping backhand, the Spaniard sealed it when the Swiss netted a forehand. Watched by his parents, and coach and uncle, Toni, the 22-year-old fell to the floor before beginning his journey through the stands to celebrate.