PDA

View Full Version : Menace of begging/child exploitation

navingulia
June 27th, 2008, 12:21 PM
In my time spent with beggar kids I have seen that there are two types of beggars/begging children.
1. Those who have comfortable houses with fridge and tv and make a living by begging in front of temples (shani dev) and market places because that can fetch them 250rs or more a day, per child. No manual labour job can get them that amount. They shouldnt be encouraged for satisfying our urge of charity by giving spare coins.
2. beggar children migrated/brought from remote places to beg. A malnutritioned/starved child who hasnt been bathed for 2 months and is wearing some piece of torn/tattered shirt if at all, can fetch 100-300rs a day for the man/woman who has sent him to beg. The man may use it for alchohol, drugs whatever. The child will not recieve anything from the amount he fetches. he has to look starved. Infants, toddlers and babies are an asset and are arranged and sent in pathetic conditions to beg. Because people give easy/useless coins to satisfy the charity urge, the tormentors of these children are encouraged to arrange more and more children and exploit them more and more. this is truth, i know what i am talking. i am yet to come accross a single child who has come to beg for himself/his own need.

What can you do?
1. please dont give coins. put little effort, give them a food item.
2. if you see an infant/baby being exploited - shout at the person whos doing it. ask him why the child is not with the mother. ask him where the parents are. your silence encourages them. please dont be silent and turn your face other way, this is our society, we are responsible for it. it is only our good luck that we are not where that child is.
Please spread this word.

brahmtewatia
June 27th, 2008, 12:35 PM
i remember an old avert abt a child begging nd a person helping him...the end of the advert said: आपने इसकी मदद तो ज़रूर की, पर इसे हमेशा के लिए भिखारी बना दिया.
i do admit tht we hv a role to play to eradicate this problem, but at the same time since it involves law to be taken at hands...i guess we owe it a lot to govt./NGO's to reach out for those persons who r forcing these children for begging...gud post navin bhai...guess a lot needs to b discussed on the issue.

rajivsp
June 27th, 2008, 10:55 PM
1. our contry is the only contry of beggers.
2. there is huge crowd in temples (Shirdi, Vaishnodevi...), why people go there and what you will call them........BHAKT
3. RESERVATION .......is it not begging..........
4. new Law - children below 14 can not be employed.........What they will do??
----govt. failed in SARVA SHIKSHA ABHIYAN
------failed to solve emplyment ploblem
When a child is not going to school, not going for work......what they will do.

In Dwarka, NCR........a Riksha Puller earns only 2500-3000 Rs. a month

if a begger child can earn 250 Rs. or more a day.....ITS a BETTER JOB????

navingulia
June 28th, 2008, 09:14 AM
sir, you are missing he main point of 'child exploitation and abuse' for begging that i have tried to bring out in my post.

raka
June 28th, 2008, 11:43 AM
1. our contry is the only contry of beggers.
2. there is huge crowd in temples (Shirdi, Vaishnodevi...), why people go there and what you will call them........BHAKT
3. RESERVATION .......is it not begging..........
4. new Law - children below 14 can not be employed.........What they will do??
----govt. failed in SARVA SHIKSHA ABHIYAN
------failed to solve emplyment ploblem
When a child is not going to school, not going for work......what they will do.

In Dwarka, NCR........a Riksha Puller earns only 2500-3000 Rs. a month

if a begger child can earn 250 Rs. or more a day.....ITS a BETTER JOB????
bhai Rajeev k baat reservation k kya ta itna khilaf s . bhai hum k aap ta reservation manga sa , aur rahi baat iss reservation ki bhikh ki to ya to hum le k rahwange. bhai rajeev aade navin bhai aur bhikh ki baat kare sain kyo iss bhai ki salah ka naas kare sain...

rajivsp
June 29th, 2008, 12:39 AM
These are my general thoughts about begging and not at all related to Navin Bhai. Just value added texts, not against Navin Bhai's observations/advice. The thread started by Navin bhai about begging kids and I found the place to post my thoughts.

I have mentioned general Reservation, not Harayana Reservation, but the reservation system anywhere in this world.

Kindly do not take it personal. I am not supposed to comment on anybody.

Strong always exploited Weak. And they will ........... Even without knowing what they are doing..........

sidchhikara
June 29th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Navin bhai, you are doing good work, I am really proud of you.

My mother's maid has 7 kids. She brings 2-3 of them everday to work. These kids donot go to school.
These kids will grow up to have 5-7 kids of their own, who will be used by their mothers to help them with work.
Their future generations have no future.

I think the only way to get them out of this mess is to educate them, but there is a big problem with that - their parents don't want them to go to school because that takes them away from work.
These kids can be bribed to school with the promise of mid-day meal, but I am not sure if that will help because the kid will certainly earn more on the streets begging.
It all comes down to parents. most poor parents are so miserable and clueless that they donot look into the future beyond their next meal. It is hard to think straight with a growling stomach.

In most developed country if a person is found endangering the safety of a child or making underage kids work, Child Protective Services steps in takes the child in and the parent / guardian is sent to jail.

In India this will not happen because our traitorous politicians want people to remain poor and hungry because during election time, politicians can herd these people to their camp by offering them incentives like liquor, 50 Rs etc.

But that should not stop individuals from helping these kids - I think if they can be helped with education, that will affect their lives in the most positive way. Most people must've heard this proverb from Eastern Philosophy ...
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime."
Infact their is such an educational organization in the UK... here is the link

http://www.teachamantofish.org.uk/

I have a friend who does the whole education stuff in his free time. My mother has also done it off and on.

navingulia
June 29th, 2008, 09:33 AM
bhai sid
1. citizens, administration and social workers need to combine efforts to put an end to this problem.
2. will to do is missing, the politicians want to address issues which can help them cling to power a little longer.
3. i want to form a citizens anti-begging and anti-child exploitation/abuse team to check this menace in gurgaon to begin with. This team will divide areas where they would check and stop any case of child abuse and exploitation.

Wars are not won by generals, they are won by soldiers. We want soldiers, soldiers and more soldiers. In Geeta it is written that the soldier is the biggest yogi because he willingly sacrifices his everything for literally nothing in return. How many soldiers do we have?

VivekGathwala
July 2nd, 2008, 02:49 PM
`1. vivek gathwala ........reporting sir

navingulia
July 3rd, 2008, 09:48 AM
good josh bhai vivek, let us meet, come over 9810245996

ram6april
July 3rd, 2008, 06:07 PM
2. Ramlal Hooda ... reporting bhai sahb.... but only problem cant come over.. but with u always to work for humanity....

regards...

Ram

navingulia
July 3rd, 2008, 11:01 PM
Ramlal Bhaisab, aapne to himmat bandha di, aap to 20-25 soldiers ke barabar ho. AAge ginti 26 se shuru hogi. :)

DrPhalswal
September 12th, 2008, 10:53 AM
26. Dr Satendra for the noble cause. Lets join hands to prevent child exploitation

siwach2767
September 12th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Bhai i m also with u.

vicky84
September 12th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Gud on you sir...

Ramlal Bhaisab, aapne to himmat bandha di, aap to 20-25 soldiers ke barabar ho. AAge ginti 26 se shuru hogi. :)

navingulia
September 13th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Wonderful! every one.
One uncle of mine says 'Do whatever little you can, where ever you can, in what ever small ways you can.'
Let us motivate ourselves to work.

dkumars
September 13th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Sipoy Devender Kumar reporting sir :)
Count me in ... i do that anyway but not always i uy food for thm .. But i hardly give them money

sktomer777
September 15th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Navin bhai
You certainly have a point here. I never realised that the coins which i casually give away frequently to kids out of pity are actually adding to their mysaries. Point taken sir.....
will make sure that i dn't give coins anymore..and its some food item instead..