PDA

View Full Version : Beijing 2008

VPannu
July 31st, 2008, 08:47 AM
In 8 days time world's biggest sporting event, the summer Olympiad 08, will be starting on 08.08.08. , with 10650 athletes (approx) from 205 countries. 9 new events have been included this time. We could see women first time participating in 3000m steeplechase
Can we see India in the final medal tally with a couple...is that too much to ask?? Or even a single medal? Be it silver, bronze or maybe gold. The Indian contingent comprises of 57 participants. The athletic contingent is largest with 17. A total of 28 sports! 302 events! And India is sending a contingent of just 57 (USA is sending 596, China has 639 and even tiny Estonia sends 47).
Millions of Indian eyes would be staring at the following competents to see if they are able to clinch glory for the country:
BOXING: Vijender, Akhil LONG JUMP: Anju B. George SHOOTING: Abhinav Bindra
Anjali Bhagwat Lt. Col. R. S. Rathore TENNIS: Leander & Bhupathi
What you say people which country would top the tally this time or history is going to repeat itself?
PS: I was happy to see a few JAT/JATNIs included in the squad. I am just quoting them as far as I know. Krishna Poonia (RAJ) event 400m discuss throw, Vijender (HAR) 75Kg boxing, Sandeep Sejwal (DEL) 100/200m Breast stroke, Rajiv Tomar 120Kg freestyle Wresting.

sumeetmalik
July 31st, 2008, 09:00 AM
The 'Flying Sikh' remembers

Sports columnist Rohit Brijnath talks to the 'Flying Sikh' Milkha Singh, the finest athlete India has ever produced, ahead of the Beijing Olympics.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44875000/jpg/_44875233_milkha.jpg 'He was always the almost hero'

Now in his 70s, voice still strong, Milkha Singh knows it's Olympic year, he knows journalists (like me) will call and ask him about that day 48 years ago and dredge up a memory so piercingly painful. He has won four Asian Games gold medals, and one Commonwealth Games gold, yet it is not his many victories but one failure that people ask about. He sighs. He speaks.
India has won a fistful of individual Olympic medals, bronzes by KD Jadhav (wrestling, 1952), Leander Paes (tennis, 1996), Karnam Malleswari (weightlifting, 2000) and a silver from Rajyavendra Singh Rathore (shooting, 2004). Yet Milkha's story of a bronze missed in Rome 1960, is the most irresistible, the one we return to constantly.
Perhaps because heartbreak, as a story, is often more powerful, and poignant, than triumph. Perhaps because in 2008 India expects medals, but then in 1960, in a country that had savoured independence for just 13 years, where facilities were few, contending for medals was a more romantic pursuit.
Different world
India's progress in sport has not yet manifested itself in medals, but its strides are quiet and surer. Last year swimmer Virdhawal Khade's parents, from Kolhapur in Maharashtra state, agreed to the once unthinkable: letting him delay his class 10 examinations to qualify for Beijing. He did.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/start_quote_rb.gif One of these days, hopefully, India will give back to him by producing a runner who wins an Olympic medal http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/end_quote_rb.gif

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/inline_dashed_line.gif

Send your views on Rohit Brijnath's column (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7532626.stm#map)

Technology is no longer foreign to Indian athletes. Khade has been priviliged to use Speedo's breakthrough LZR Racer suit. World champion shooter Abhinav Bindra has been hooking himself up to a machine that identifies what activity is going on in his brain when he is shooting well. As he told me: "The key is how to train that area of the mind so it is routine to get into that state."
Milkha's world bore no resemblance to this. With a straightforwardness that is immediately disarming, he says that when he joined the army, "I came from a remote village, I didn't know what running was, or the Olympics".

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44875000/jpg/_44875232_milka226.jpg 'I wasn't even scared of death'

Context gives Milkha's story its searing beauty, the environment in which he ran gives his tale uniqueness. PT Usha would lose Olympic bronze in 1984 by an even crueller margin, yet in a comparison of tragedies he wins because of where he came from, what he endured. Usha did not work less hard, but it's impossible to compete with a man whose parents were killed, some reports say in front of him, in the carnage of India's partition. Whose temporary home for a month was a platform on Delhi's railway station.
His beginnings as an athlete can be linked, he says, to a five-mile cross-country run that every jawan (soldier) had to run. The top 10 were to be given further training, and so he ran it, was stricken by a stomach pain after just half a mile, sat down, but then got up, telling himself, "I have to come in the top 10". He came sixth, he says. The legend had started.
He was told then to run 400 metres, whereupon he asked, "how long is that?"
"Ek round," they said. One round, he thought, could not be such a big deal.
He was not familiar with spikes. Nor a tracksuit. But what he had couldn't be manufactured in a factory. "Aag thah andar," he says in Hindi ("I had a fire inside").
Discipline, hard work, will power: he says the words with the devotion of a man nursing prayer beads. His own perseverance takes many forms, in the blood he reportedly urinated because he worked so hard, in the oxygen that was supposedly used to revive him after practice. In an interview in 1996, he told me: "My experience made me so hard that I wasn't even scared of death." But one story reflects his desire clearest.
Almost hero
In 1956, he journeyed to the Melbourne Olympics, just a novice who exited early in the heats. The 400-metre gold medallist that year was Charles Jenkins, and Milkha, taking with him an interpreter who spoke "tuta-phuta" (broken) English, met the American and asked for his training schedule.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44875000/jpg/_44875231_miljkhaa226.jpg 'It was bad luck for India and Milkha Singh'

Come back after a few days, Jenkins told him. "So we went," says Milkha, "and he gave me his coaching schedule, for hill running, for sprints, for starts, for weights."
"And I decided unless I beat his record (46.7, hand-timed) I won't stop."
Two years after Melbourne, he did beat that time, in Cuttack, his run eliciting such disbelief that the track was measured again.
Four years after Melbourne, he was a medal contender at the Rome Olympics. He'd run and won so often around the world that he says he had 20 passports. He was ready, an athlete poised for his moment.
And this is when the story must be hard for him to tell, for however many times he tells it, the result never alters. He is always fourth. He is always .1 of a second too late. He is always the almost hero.
What happened in the 400 final? Was it the fact the final was held, for the first time since 1912, on a different day from the semis, and Milkha says "that killed me, I was alone thinking about the race, no one was allowed to meet me".
Was it, as he always says, that he went out too quick when the gun went off? "It went in my mind that I was running too fast and I may not finish." So he slowed, broke his rhythm, couldn't regain it. Goddamn it.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44875000/jpg/_44875235_milkhagandhi226.jpg 'Milkha gave India determination and pride'

"It was bad luck", says this proud man, "for India and Milkha Singh." And it was, for both nation and man in 1960 were trying to make themselves heard, be noticed, and perhaps this is why he still sits in the memory. In a land not given to nicknames, this Flying Sikh almost everyone Indian knows.

Milkha gave India medals in Asia, determination, pride, an unforgettable story and a terrific son called Jeev. One of these days, hopefully, India will give back to him by producing a runner who wins an Olympic medal. I think he'll like that.

sumeetmalik
July 31st, 2008, 10:31 AM
In 8 days time world's biggest sporting event, the summer Olympiad 08, will be starting on 08.08.08. , with 10650 athletes (approx) from 205 countries. 9 new events have been included this time. We could see women first time participating in 3000m steeplechase
Can we see India in the final medal tally with a couple...is that too much to ask?? Or even a single medal? Be it silver, bronze or maybe gold. The Indian contingent comprises of 57 participants. The athletic contingent is largest with 17. A total of 28 sports! 302 events! And India is sending a contingent of just 57 (USA is sending 596, China has 639 and even tiny Estonia sends 47).
Millions of Indian eyes would be staring at the following competents to see if they are able to clinch glory for the country:
BOXING: Vijender, Akhil LONG JUMP: Anju B. George SHOOTING: Abhinav Bindra
Anjali Bhagwat Lt. Col. R. S. Rathore TENNIS: Leander & Bhupathi
What you say people which country would top the tally this time or history is going to repeat itself?
PS: I was happy to see a few JAT/JATNIs included in the squad. I am just quoting them as far as I know. Krishna Poonia (RAJ) event 400m discuss throw, Vijender (HAR) 75Kg boxing, Sandeep Sejwal (DEL) 100/200m Breast stroke, Rajiv Tomar 120Kg freestyle Wresting.

Good to see some Jat names there. Out of 57, it doesn't look like a bad ratio for Jats. I would be rooting for all of them. Go Jats!
However any medal should come as a pleasant surprise. For example what the hell is Anju George going again to Olympics for? She is way past her prime. I would have put an upcoming youngster instead of her.
I would also like to see how China does in these Olympics both, in and out of the field. They might have to put 90% of their cars off the roads in Beijing. Plus their PR exercise seems to be failing right now.
It would be interesting to see if they can top the tally. Come strong in some events that are not traditionally their bastion.
Then there will be some great athletes to watch out for - like Phelps. The ones who make the tournament worthwhile and are simply an inspiring story to humanity.

cooljat
July 31st, 2008, 11:44 AM
Pannu, gud effort ... :)

Btw, some more Jats are there ... infact its great to see so much Jat athletes are goin to shine in the Olumpic!

Include some more - couple of more Boxers in the Boxing Squad (all frm Haryana), Bajrang Takhar (Raj) in Roving!! :)

Rock on
Jit

sumitsehrawat
July 31st, 2008, 08:07 PM
Have always drawn inspiration from the legendary 'Flying Sikh' Milkha Singh. He's my idol sportsperson. Wishing "Good Luck" to all representing our India. India is much better than just being a "one-medal" winners. May we see at least two medals this time.

Ian Thorpe yesterday said winning 8 golds by one person(in swimming) is next-to-impossible while Grant Hackett has hopes on Micheal Phelps. I would love to see Phelps winning all golds in all swimming events he's participating in. At Athens he won 6 gold and two bronze...still remember how disappointed I was when he lost 200m freestyle :(!....and also in a 4x200 freestyle relay :(! May he will all 8 this time. According to me, Micheal Phelps will be the hero of Beijing'2008. He is one the finest swimmers of all time and aims to break existing World Records (often he's broken his own world records) every time he enters the pool.

Also Russia should win more golds this time. China took most of theirs at Athens. China was second even though in total they won only 2/3rds of total medals won by Russia. Disgusting! "1. US -- 2. Russia -- 3. China" will be better than "1. US -- 2. China -- 3. Russia" [ ...Personal take!!]

For our very own India, I hope and pray we get better than what we have been getting on medals table since Atlanta'96. Leander Paes (Atlanta'96)--> Karnam Malleshwari (Sydney'2000) --> Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore (Athens'2004) .... three medals in 12 years ain't enough. Hope the ratio improves.

For the first time in 80 years... Indian contingent at Olympics will not have the men’s hockey team :mad:!!

VPannu
August 1st, 2008, 08:41 AM
Perhaps the most watched event in the olympics is 100m men and 50/100m freestyle men. On the track: Jamaicans seem to have captured the track in the past and even in the present. Usain 'the lightening' Bolt is another product, who recently broke the WR held by his compatriot Asafa.
In the pool: The battle has always been fought between US,AUS,NED. At the moment 50m WR holders are Australians both in men and women category. And yeah, Phelps is the champ with 25 World records under his belt (22 individual + 3 relay). Won 6 golds at Athens 04. He would be definitely watchable.

coolphool
August 2nd, 2008, 02:12 AM
We just do not have the right athletic genes. Talk of facilities and resources and look at he poor Africans who win the gold medals.

sumeetmalik
August 2nd, 2008, 02:26 AM
We just do not have the right athletic genes. Talk of facilities and resources and look at he poor Africans who win the gold medals.
thats bullshit man. What are poor Africans winning btw? They are running the long distance because they can do it with light weight and less food and no shoes. Do you think Chinese have the right genes. They won the 110 hurdles last time which no body thought they could.
To win medals in Olympics today, it requires not just genes but technology and both individual and collective will.

cooljat
August 2nd, 2008, 07:55 AM
More then agreed!
thats bullshit man. What are poor Africans winning btw? They are running the long distance because they can do it with light weight and less food and no shoes. Do you think Chinese have the right genes. They won the 110 hurdles last time which no body thought they could.
To win medals in Olympics today, it requires not just genes but technology and both individual and collective will.

sumeetmalik
August 2nd, 2008, 09:36 AM
And we have the right genes. All of us on and in Jatland.

brahmtewatia
August 2nd, 2008, 02:27 PM

i quite like this quote. :D

cooljat
August 2nd, 2008, 05:03 PM
Rather we have Alpha Genes, Jats are arguably the superior race among human!

sandeepkadian05
August 3rd, 2008, 02:29 AM
The only realistic medal hope india has is in shooting, so i guess 1 medal agin for us.. this is really shameful.. And no use blaming the government, Indian govt spent a record sum on training and coaching before athens on most of the participants but nothing happened..... lets just face it, we are terrible at olympic sports.... pity cricket, billiards, chess are not there

shailendra
August 8th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Alright, so they are here... The greatest spectacle on sports!
I feel that everything said and done... (the whole China-Tibet controversy, the level of pollution in China, freedom of reporting etc. etc.)... The games are always so cool and above everything else, just this whole notion of people and nations ... their athletes... competeing to push the human sports capabilities even furthur is always a delight to comprehend!!!...

I dunno, but I guess there is something of that sportsperson inside of me that is simply moving with a certain excitement today... apparently even the opening ceremony (unfortunately we here in the US shall get to see it all live only at 8pm in the evening!) was supposedly a very huge spectacular bang!...

But then it's not just that only... the excitement is also maybe to see the likes of Michael Phelps try and surpass Mark spitz's record of seven golds in one Olympics in swimming (Phelps is apparently gunning for eight! in these Beijing olympics!).... or seeing all the biggest NBA superstars of the US basketball (Wayne, Lebron, Kobe etc.) all in ONE team out to dazzle the others... or simply for the love of sports; like athletics... (those 100 mt dash's, or the 400mt competition that is supposed to be th psrint of endurace, stamina and speed...the High jump, or even the long jump!) etc. etc.

Anyways, I propose let's use this thread to talk about the days to come and to discuss any amazing events that one witnessed to be shared here just so that the other unfortunate ones (who missed it) can then watch subsequently (online on places like maybe U-tube or other possible TV re-runs!:D)...

Of course how can I end this introductory post without a mention of good 'ol India!!!
(though it still beats me how a Billion plus nation cannot produce athletes that can win them truckloads of medals!?!....) especially just look at the size of the contingent that went there.... (The shooter Rathore is the flag bearer here!)...
Hopefully we can sneak some medals by surprise... BUT anyways, let's see how that goes.................. only the some few days shall tell! :confused:

choudharyneelam
August 8th, 2008, 09:49 PM
ofcourse the excitement is on peak among all interested in watching or performing sports.....but dear please don't underestimate yourself by using words like SNEAK OR SURPRISE in case of grabbing medals which is not everybody's cup of tea....what one gets is all by his/her complete and determined efforts

cooljat
August 8th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Olympics are no doubt greatest and biggest sports show on the planet and I eagerly wait for it :) Well, the opening ceremony was mesmerizing & mindblowing, just hard to explain in words!! ...

Am looking forward for more medals this time, I wish Jat Brigade win some and make our country n community proud !

My best wishes are with whole Indian athletes in India and a special one to Jat Brigade ( Takhar, Punia, Sejwal, Tomer & Boxing triology) All the Best guys! U'll be the champs! :)

All the Very Best !! ... Way to Go!!..

Rock on
Jit

spdeshwal
August 9th, 2008, 03:20 AM
The Opening Ceremony in the 'Birds Nest' was fabulous, awesome with great synchronization by the participants. I wish Indian Team would bring some gold this time. My main hope is from the Boxers and wrestlers!

I join all of you in wishing the Indian participants all the best!

Cheers!

sumeetmalik
August 9th, 2008, 06:36 AM
I go to Pepperdine and hence I have some more names to add to my list of athletes and coaches to watch out for. Marv Dunphy already has a legendary status here.

Pepperdine Athletes Prepare for Beijing Olympics

http://www.pepperdine.edu/pr/images/releases/olympics-large.jpg
Pepperdine University will be well represented in the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, China, where five former Pepperdine student-athletes will compete and four more will serve as coaches.

At least 12 Pepperdine graduates will play a role in the Beijing games. Three of the athletes will be taking part in their first Olympics, bringing Pepperdine’s all-time total to 40 Olympians.

“It’s very special when we see our former student-athletes taking part in such a prestigious event,” says John Watson, director of athletics. “All of Pepperdine commends them for their achievements and the dedication they have shown throughout their careers to get to this point. Pepperdine has had a strong record of success producing Olympians, both for the U.S. and internationally, and the 2008 games are no different.”

Athletes

Tennis player Simon Aspelin (’98) is appearing in his first Olympics. He will play doubles with fellow Swede Thomas Johannson. Currently ranked #11 in the world in doubles by the ITF, Aspelin won the 2007 U.S. Open doubles title and earned All-American honors at Pepperdine all four years.

Merrill Moses (’99) will compete on the USA water polo team in his first appearance at the Olympic games. Moses first played for the senior national team in 2001. He led Pepperdine to the NCAA championship in 1997 and earned three All-American honors.

Canadian baseball player Ryan Radmanovich (’93) is appearing in his second Olympics. Radmanovich reached the Major Leagues in 1998 with the Seattle Mariners and currently plays in the independent Northern League. He played one season for the Waves and following that turned pro as a fourth-round draft pick of the Minnesota Twins.

Sean Rooney (’05) will compete on the USA men’s volleyball team in his first Olympic appearance. He joined the AVP tour in 2004, played in the Korean League, and made the USA national team in 2007. A four-time All-American for the Waves, Rooney was the 2005 National Player of the Year and the MVP of the NCAA Championships when Pepperdine captured the national title.

Jesse Smith (’05) is appearing in his second Olympics with the USA water polo team. The team took seventh place in 2004 with Smith was one of the top scorers. He made his senior national team debut in 2001 and was a three-time All-American at Pepperdine.

Coaches

Marv Dunphy (’74) is heading to the Olympics for the fifth time as a coach. The head coach for the Waves men’s volleyball team will be consulting coach for the USA men’s volleyball team. He served as the USA national and Olympic team coach from 1985 to 1988, when the team won gold. His US team maintained a No. 1 world ranking while he was coaching.

Brian Goorjian (’76) will lead the Australian men’s basketball team in this year’s games. This is his second Olympic appearance as a coach, having led Australia to a ninth-place finish in 2004. After graduating from Pepperdine, Goorjian played for the Melbourne Tigers. He has been coaching since 1985, and has been named Coach of the Year five times, including 2007 to 2008.

Terry Schroeder (’81) is taking the USA national and Olympic water polo team to Beijing. He is currently on leave as the Waves head water polo coach. Though this is his first Olympic appearance as coach, Schroeder has participated in three Olympics as a player, winning silver medals in 1984 and 1988 and finishing in fourth place in 1992. He was a three-time All-American at Pepperdine and remains the school’s all-time leading goal scorer.

Troy Tanner (’92) will coach USA women’s beach volleyball players Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh in his first Olympic appearance. Tanner won the gold medal in 1988 with the men’s volleyball team. He was a three-time All-American at Pepperdine.

Other Roles

Kevin Barnett (’97) will be the NBC sports commentator for the volleyball competitions. Barnett competed in the 2000 and 2004 Olympics in Sydney and Athens, and at Pepperdine earned two All-American honors.

Bob Ctvrtlik (’85) is vice president international for the U.S. Olympic Committee and a member of the International Olympic Committee. A three-time Olympic volleyball player for the US, Ctvrtlik won a gold medal in 1988 and a bronze medal in 1992. He earned NCAA Player of the Year honors and won a national championship in 1985, his only season at Pepperdine.

Gary Moy (’84) will be working at his ninth Olympic games and servicing 32 National Olympic Committees at the Casa Americas in Beijing. He previously served as team manager for Marv Dunphy’s 1988 gold medal squad and as the USA Olympic team delegation director at the 2002 Salt Lake Winter Olympics.

sidchhikara
August 9th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Bhai ... yeh te saare Shahrukh ban rahe sein photo mein.
Apne tau ke byaah mein aa rahe sein saare.
Woh ganja kunsa sport khele se? Sardar phone karan laag raha se ... datta nahi jaata.

Total bhikhari dress. WTF !! I have never worn that dress.... nobody in my family has either. We need to have a national consensus on whether that dress should be worn by men or women... I say women.

Chinese ne kasuta pisa gaal diya ceremony mein.

I think Rathore might get a medal.... and one of the women weightlifters .. best of luck to them... will definitely watch their events.

sumitsehrawat
August 9th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Source: http://www.ptinews.com/pti%5Cptisite.nsf/0/207BF9C359AA758A6525749F005509DA?OpenDocument

Amlan Chakraborty
Beijing, Aug 8 (PTI) A slipshod India cut a sorry figure in the Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony with the female members of the contingent making it a veritable go-as-you-like with their contrasting outfits that made them look completely misfit for the occasion.

With Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore carrying the tri-colour, the contingent looked good from far, as the male members decked out in off-white sherwanis. But as they came closer, things looked hardly impressive.

The tennis duo of Sania Mirza and Sunitha Rao, attired in black trousers and practice jackets, looked completely out of sorts and the contrast was even more jarring to the eyes as going side by side was Delhi paddler Neha Aggarwal who chose a greenish saree for the occasion.

Though the generous crowd at the Bird's Nest stadium roared to greet the Indians, it was a shoddy fashion statement by the Indians.

The moment they entered the Congress President Sonia Gandhi was on her feet and waved at them and the athletes also reciprocated. PTI

positivelook
August 9th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Hi Jatlanders

Today Vijender in his 75 kg middle weight and dinesh kumar in 81 kg will kick on the contest for boxng gold. Lets see how they go iwish them good luck. Good luck to whole indian squad.
Kuch kar lye bhai Vijender there uppar poori aas lagaye baithe hain.

Abhimanyu Phougat

spdeshwal
August 9th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Bhai Abhimanyu, ibbe to nue theek se ak jiski khao baankli uske khao geet. 14 australian including Stephenie rice and Grant Hackett have qualified for the finals!

I wish the Indian Boxers and wrestlers very best and good luck!

2nd goal of the Chinese women soccer team was superb!

Cheers!

narenderkharb
August 9th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Good day for Jat brigade...

http://specials.rediff.com/sports/2008/aug/09slide8.htm

cooljat
August 9th, 2008, 11:15 PM
I watched both Vijender & Dinesh's Boxing matche; Vijender was indeed impressive and played like a champ and won in style while Dinesh's performance wasnt impressive and he was complelty outclassed by Algerian!

Bajrang Takhar also enters in Roving Quarter Finals ... he finished on 3rd ... his perfomance was also quite impressive! :)

Neha won qualifyin match in Badminton and she won it in style...

Way to go ... godspeed!!

Rock on
Jit

Hi Jatlanders

Today Vijender in his 75 kg middle weight and dinesh kumar in 81 kg will kick on the contest for boxng gold. Lets see how they go iwish them good luck. Good luck to whole indian squad.
Kuch kar lye bhai Vijender there uppar poori aas lagaye baithe hain.

Abhimanyu Phougat

rsdalal
August 10th, 2008, 08:12 AM
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2008/20080810/sports.htm#8

Beijing, August 9
India had a mixed day in boxing with Vijender Singh living up to the hype build around him as he outpunched Gambia's Jack Badou 13-2 to move into the second round of the 75 kg (middle weight), while in the 81 kg category Dinesh Kumar suffered a humiliating defeat when referee stopped the contest to save the Indian from further thrashing at the hands of Algeria's Abdelhafid in the Olympic Boxing competition here today.

The emphatic win enabled Vijender, the handsome Bhiwani (Haryana) boxer erase the memories of a first round defeat in the 2004 Athens Olympics.

But it was a nightmarish debut for Vijender's compatriot Dinesh Kumar who will be haunted by the beating he received at the hands of Abdelhafid for a long time to come.

The 75 kg bout turned out to be a mismatch and even Vijender later admitted that he never expected it to be so easy. ''It was interesting but the opponent was not that tough,'' he told mediapersons after his win.

The Indian took his time to understand his rival's plan and then landed the first punch after 115 seconds to go up 1-0 in the first round.

It was an aggressive Vijender who fisted his way into the second round as the Gambian scurried for cover. The Indian punched him with fierce right hooks and upper cuts to take five points while conceding just one.

Having established a 6-1 lead, there was no stopping the Indian as he unleashed flurry of hooks on the hapless Gambian. Vijender hit him all over and but could manage only three points and again conceded one in the third. To take his tally to 9-2.

The last round was easy for the Indian who collected four more points to win the bout 13-2.

''I enjoyed the bout. To win the first round is a good feeling,'' he said adding he was expecting better opposition and challenge from his rival with whom he was boxing for the first time.

Vijender's next bout rival is Thailand's Angkhan Chomphuphuang to whom Indian had lost in the President Cup held in Chinese Taipei in April.

''I am looking forward to the bout. It is going to be a revenge fight,'' he said when asked about his next round rival.

The bout in the 81 kg event was a total mismatch with Abdelhafid landing punches on Dinesh Kumar at will. The Indian neither had the tactics nor the stamina to stand up to his rival and simply turned out to be a pnching back.

Abdelhafid raced to a 9-3 lead in the first round and added six more points in the second to make it 15-3 as the Indian ran all over the ring trying to avoid getting punished. — UNI:boxing

sumitsehrawat
August 10th, 2008, 10:28 AM
1 Down, 7 to Go for Phelps in Beijing: Phelps crushes world record, wins first swimming gold medal of possible 8 in Beijing
Source: http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=5546726

Also,
Phelps opens with Olympic record
Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/swimming/7551278.stm

VPannu
August 10th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Phelps crushes world record, wins first swimming gold medal of possible 8 in Beijing He is playing like a true champ and has epitomized success brilliantly.
He reminds me of the Ukrainian Pole vaulting legend, Sergey Bubka, who would break his own world record and make a new one again and again. He did so as many as 35 times. Hopefully, Phelps might be able to break or even emulate Mark Spitz swimming record.

rajpaldular
August 11th, 2008, 10:41 AM
:) अभिनव ने इतिहास रचा, भारत को स्वर्ण पदक :)

बीजिंग। भारतीय निशानेबाज अभिनव बिंद्रा ने 10 मीटर एयर राइफल शूटिंग प्रतियोगिता में पहला व्यक्तिगत स्वर्ण पदक जीतकर ओलंपिक में इतिहास रच दिया है। इस जीत के साथ ही अभिनव बिन्द्रा व्यक्तिगत स्वर्ण पदक जीतने वाले पहले भारतीय बन गए हैं। विश्व चैम्पियन अभिनव ने सोमवार को 10 मीटर रायफल शूटिंग प्रतियोगिता के लिए क्वॉलिफाई किया था। अभिनव की जीत पर प्रधानमंत्री मनमोहन सिंह और राष्ट्रपति प्रतिभा पाटील ने बधाईदी है। पूरे देश में खुशी की लहर है और लोग एक दूसरे को शुभकामनाएं दे रहे हैं।

हालांकि, भारत के ही गगन नारंग इसी प्रतियोगिता के फाइनल में प्रवेश करने से चूक गए थे। वह 600 में से 595 अंक जुटाकर प्रतियोगिता में नौवें स्थान पर रहे। नारंग ने 97 100 100 98 100 के राउंड खेले।

वहीं, खेल रत्न से सम्मानित बिंद्रा क्वॉलिफाइंग राउंड में चौथे स्थान पर रहे थे। उन्होंने 596 अंक के साथ फाइनल के लिए क्वॉलिफाई किया था। उन्होंने 100 99 100 98 100 और 99 के राउंड खेले।

d_dhankhar
August 11th, 2008, 10:43 AM
After so many years i m not sure, but because of Abhinav Bindra India tasted its first gold medal in olympics. Good on him.

Really a happy day for Indian Sports.

Thanks to Nisha Rathee who sent me an email to let me know about this.

cooljat
August 11th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Thats Indeed a Great News! I'm so very Happy to hear this !!

Cheers n Salutations to Bindra!! :)

http://www.ndtv.com/olympics/storypage.aspx?storyid=SPOEN20080060970

Way to go...

Rock on
Jit

VPannu
August 11th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Awesome, brilliant stuff. A medal, that too a GOLD. Ohhhh mann, that is fantastic. Congratulations to all Indians.
Well done Abhinav. Hope to see a few more medals.
:rock

prashantacmet
August 11th, 2008, 11:11 AM
I cann't believe this !!!...abhinav has done awesome....:):)..congrats to him!!

andyjat
August 11th, 2008, 11:13 AM
great news he is 1st to win and now he will always be remambered for making history in OLYMPICS.

anil_rathee
August 11th, 2008, 11:22 AM
GREAT NEWS FOR INDIAN SPORTS.
We have waited a long for these moments.
I am hopnig some more medals from Vijender , Saina, Bajrang, PAES-Bhupati, Sania, Champia, Rathore and few more from indian team.
Lets pray for better.
Atleast 5 medals this time....................

:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock

sidchhikara
August 11th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Maja aa gya sun ke ... yeh hui naa kuch baat. Abhinav Bindra did a splendid job.

harvindermalik
August 11th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Great news for our country and sure this will be a moral; booster for future generations ….

Abhinav Bindra wins India's first ever individual Olympic gold in Bejing Olimpics 2008

Abhinav Bindra wins India's first ever individual Olympic gold in Bejing Olimpics 2008

World champion Abhinav Bindra wins India's first ever individual gold at the Olympic Games by winning the gold medal at the men's 10m air rifle event in Beijing on Monday.

Bindra, a Khel Ratna awardee, finished the qualifying event joint fourth with Romania's George Alin Moldoveanu after the duo shot a score of 596/600.

Earlier, Bindra ended the poor run of Indian shooters at the Beijing Olympics by qualifying for the men's 10m air rifle event finals. Bindra, a Khel Ratna awardee, finished the qualifying event joint fourth with Romania's George Alin Moldoveanu after the duo shot a score of 596/600.

for video click on this link
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=_0Qckb1qwsE

cooljat
August 11th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Ya Indeed, he's Champ ... aaj to kati Jee sa aa gaya!!

He created History !! :)

Kudos to him...

Maja aa gya sun ke ... yeh hui naa kuch baat. Abhinav Bindra did a splendid job.

mann123
August 11th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Great News Dear

Congrats! to all Bharat wasee

anil_rathee
August 11th, 2008, 11:54 AM
:rockWe are hoping for few more medals, speacially from Jat Brigade.
This is the time to prove ourselves.

:rock

MKadwa
August 11th, 2008, 12:12 PM
He proved that, Indians are capable of that :rock :rock

Nishantrathi82
August 11th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I watching the event when he won the GOLD for India he was at 4th place in the qualifying round but when the final starts he was at 1st till the 8th shoot but at the ninth one he missed a bit and gone down to 2nd but at the final shoot he hits best at 10.8 it was amazing i can't tell you people what was the feeling i was shouting that we did it even Abhinav did it for us. I was having the understanding of Olympics from last 10-12 years by that time i hoping that we should win atleast 1 Gold and it happens today it's One of Best news for me Cheers and Hope for Moreeeeeeeee.:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock

ysjabp
August 11th, 2008, 02:01 PM
http://img.123greetings.com/eventsnew/congrats_onotheroccasions/1378-002-06-1060.gif

HO MUJHE KHUSHI MILI ITNI KE MAN MEIN NA SAMAYE
PALAK BAND KAR LU KAHI CHHALAK HI NA JAYE

ysjabp
August 11th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Jay Bharat

http://img.123greetings.com/eventsnew/congrats_onotheroccasions/1378-002-20-1679.gif http://img.123greetings.com/images/audiopanel/img/music.gif http://img.123greetings.com/images/audiopanel/img/on_d.gif (http://www.123greetings.com/cgi-bin/newcreate/newpreview.pl#)http://img.123greetings.com/images/audiopanel/img/separator.gifhttp://img.123greetings.com/images/audiopanel/img/off_e.gif (http://www.123greetings.com/cgi-bin/newcreate/newpreview.pl#) http://img.123greetings.com/images/audiopanel/img/mic1.gif http://img.123greetings.com/images/audiopanel/img/knob.gif

Bahut saalo se ankhen taras gayi thi is pal ke liye.
Aapko shat shat Pranam
Jai Hind
http://img.123greetings.com/images/space.jpghttp://img.123greetings.com/images/space.jpg

sumitsehrawat
August 11th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Absolutely:)!!
Sergey Bubka was simply superb but unlucky in Olympics, winning only one gold medal. But yes, he was the master of Pole Vault for 14 consecutive years and as Vivek rightly said he broke World Records 35 times.
More about him: http://sergeybubka.com/biography.htm

It was good to see Bubka inside the 'Bird's Nest' during the opening ceremony of Beijing'2008 in the Ukranian contingent as Ukraine's National Olympic Committee chairman.

He is playing like a true champ and has epitomized success brilliantly.
He reminds me of the Ukrainian Pole vaulting legend, Sergey Bubka, who would break his own world record and make a new one again and again. He did so as many as 35 times. Hopefully, Phelps might be able to break or even emulate Mark Spitz swimming record.

positivelook
August 11th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Congrats to BIndra! Chalo ek aur nayee cheez ho gayee! Dekho kitne aur le sakte hain!

Abhimanyu Phougat

rajpaldular
August 11th, 2008, 02:28 PM
:) कड़ी मेहनत से मिलती है जीत - बिंद्रा :)

चीन की धरती पर भारत की शान बढ़ाने वाले निशानेबाज अभिनव बिंद्रा का कहना है कि "यदि आप कड़ी मेहनत करते हैं तो एक दिन आपका भी जरूर आता है।" बीजिंग ओलम्पिक में भारत के लिए पहला व्यक्तिगत स्वर्ण पदक जीतने के बाद गर्व से भरे अभिनव ने बताया कि "हालांकि, मुझे खुद पर भरोसा था, लेकिन फिर भी यह ऎतिहासिक कामयाबी उम्मीद से कहीं बढ़कर है।"

उन्होंने कहा कि "मैं फाइनल में चौथे स्थान पर था। तब मुझे लगा कि अब मुझे अपना सबकुछ झोंक देना है। मैंने इतिहास बनाने की चिंता नहीं की, बस अपना बेहतर प्रदर्शन देने की कोशिश की। खुशकिस्मती से आज का दिन मेरा था और अंतत: मैं स्वर्ण पदक पाने में सफल रहा। पेशे से एमबीए बिंद्रा ने कहा कि "मैंने यहां तक पहुंचने के लिए बहुत मेहनत की है और लगातार प्रयास करता रहा। मैं घरवालों से दूर रहा और जर्मनी में ट्रेनिंग ली।"

अभिवन ने अपनी जीता का श्रेया अपने माता-पिता, कोच और रिश्तेदारों को देते हुए कहा कि इस कामयाबी के सच्चे हकदार वही लोग हैं। इनलोगों ने हमेशा मेरा हौसला बढ़ाया और मेरे साथ रहे। उन्होंने कहा कि "मैं अपनी कामयाबी अपने माता-पिता और कोच के नाम करता हूं।"

sumitsehrawat
August 11th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Abhinav Bindra...first Indian to win an individual gold medal at Olympics ...

This is one of the best Sports News headlines I have ever read. This surpasses his Gold Medal at World Shooting Championships in Zagreb'2006. Many many and many more congratulations to Abhinav Bindra and to all of us... :)!

ysjabp
August 11th, 2008, 02:54 PM
India fetes first gold medallist

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44910000/jpg/_44910900_-55.jpg Bindra is a hero in India

Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has lavished praise on Abhinav Bindra, the country's first individual Olympic gold medallist.
Mr Singh said that Bindra's achievement- he claimed the men's 10m air rifle shooting title - was a "golden performance".
The Indian President, Pratibha Patil, has also lauded Bindra's feat.
India, winners of eight hockey gold medals, had never won an individual Olympic title before Bindra's success.
Bindra's win has led news on Indian TV channels and websites, which have described it as "historic".
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gifhttp://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/start_quote_rb.gif He did tough commando training in Germany for three weeks prior to the Olympics http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/end_quote_rb.gif

AS Bindra, father

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/inline_dashed_line.gif

Bindra claims India's first gold (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/shooting/7553228.stm)

Journalists descended on the Bindra family home in Chandigarh in the northern state of Punjab as soon as news of the win came in.
Reports said that the shooter's family had organised prayers ahead of his contest in Beijing.
"We are very proud of our son. He has done a great thing for the country. We will be rushing to [the capital] Delhi to receive him when he returns on Thursday," news agencies quoted his mother Babli Mishra telling reporters.
Mrs Mishra said the family would visit Punjab's famous Golden temple to "pay obeisance for his success".
The gold medallist's father said his son had worked hard to achieve the feat.
"He paid a lot of attention towards physical training despite his back injury. He did tough commando training in Germany for three weeks prior to the Olympics," said AS Bindra, who is a businessman. Members of India's governing parties also announced cash rewards for Bindra. The federal railway minister was reported to have announced the shooter would be receiving a free travel pass.

Courtesy: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7553382.stm

ysjabp
August 11th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Monday, 11 August 2008

Rank Country Gold Silver Bronze TOTAL
1 China 6 3 0 9
2 USA 3 4 4 11
3 South Korea 3 2 0 5
4 Australia 2 0 3 5
5 Japan 2 0 2 4
6 Great Britain 2 0 1 3
7 Czech Republic 2 0 0 2
8 Italy 1 2 1 4
9 Netherlands 1 0 1 2
10 Spain 1 0 1 2
11 India 1 0 0 1
12 Romania 1 0 0 1
13 Thailand 1 0 0 1
14 France 0 3 2 5
15 Russia 0 3 1 4
16 Dem P Rep Korea 0 1 2 3
17 Cuba 0 1 1 2
18 Austria 0 1 0 1
19 Hungary 0 1 0 1
20 Norway 0 1 0 1
21 Sweden 0 1 0 1
22 Turkey 0 1 0 1
23 Vietnam 0 1 0 1
24 Zimbabwe 0 1 0 1
25 Algeria 0 0 1 1
26 Argentina 0 0 1 1
27 Belarus 0 0 1 1
28 Chinese Taipei 0 0 1 1
29 Croatia 0 0 1 1
30 Finland 0 0 1 1
31 Georgia 0 0 1 1
32 Germany 0 0 1 1
33 Indonesia 0 0 1 1
34 Switzerland 0 0 1 1
35 Uzbekistan 0 0 1 1

Courtesy : BBC News

spdeshwal
August 11th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Congratulations to Abhinav Bindra , his parents, coach and every one who ever helped him to create this wonderful moment for every Indian! He has made every Indian proud!

Cheers!

ysjabp
August 11th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Shooting
Men's 10m air rifle final:
1 A Bindra (Ind) 700.5 pts Gold
2 Q Zhu (Chn) 699.7 Silver
3 H Hakkinin (Fin) 699.4 Bronze
4 A G Moldoveanu (Rom) 698.9
5 K Prikhodtchenko (Rus) 698.4
6 P Sidi (Hun) 698.4
7 S Pletikosic (Ser) 697.7 8 S Kruglov (Rus) 697.0

deepshi
August 11th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Oz land is on 5 total..

ek baar jhanda faraa dey!:D:)

deepshi
August 11th, 2008, 04:23 PM
wow wowww...
thats amazing.. Bindra..

Go India...:)

gaganjat
August 11th, 2008, 04:29 PM
CHAMPION !
I am sure we got many, just a matter of bringing them up.

sumitsehrawat
August 11th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Yet another Olympic record broken by the superhuman Phelps...200m Butterfly in heats.

Nishantrathi82
August 11th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Yet another Olympic record broken by the superhuman Phelps...200m Butterfly in heats.

Hey there are fair chance that he will win 9 gold this year and create a record.

rajpaldular
August 11th, 2008, 05:18 PM
बीजिंग ओलम्पिक में भारत के निशानेबाज अभिनव बिंद्रा की ऎतिहासिक जीत के बाद उनके लिए पुरस्कारों की झड़ी लग गई है। पंजाब के मुख्यमंत्री प्रकाश सिंह बादल ने उन्हें एक करोड़ रूपए का इनाम देने की घोषणा की है। साथ ही हरियाणा सरकार ने उन्हें 25 लाख रूपए और महाराष्ट्र सरकार ने 10 लाख रूपए का पुरस्कार देने का ऎलान किया है।

अभिनव की जीत से पूरे देश में जश्a का माहौल है। उत्तर प्रदेश की मुख्यमंत्री मायावती ने भी अभिनव को बधाई देते हुए 2.5 लाख रूपए का इनाम देने की घोषणा की है। वहीं, रेल मंत्री लालू प्रसाद यादव ने घोषणा की है कि अभिनव को आजीवन "गोल्डन पास" दिया जाएगा।

दूसरी ओर, बिहार सरकार ने बिंद्रा को 11 लाख रूपए और मघ्य प्रदेश सरकार ने पांच लाख रूपए इनाम के रूप में देने की घोष्ाणा की है। बीसीसीआई और चंडीगढ़ प्रशासन भी इनामों की इस दौड़ में पीछे नहीं है। बीसीसीआईने बिंद्रा को 25 लाख रूपए और चंडीगढ़ प्रशासन ने पांच लाख रूपए देने का ऎलान किया है।

deepshi
August 11th, 2008, 05:20 PM
that may b an inspiration now..
misiing the jashan though!
बीजिंग ओलम्पिक में भारत के निशानेबाज अभिनव बिंद्रा की ऎतिहासिक जीत के बाद उनके लिए पुरस्कारों की झड़ी लग गई है। पंजाब के मुख्यमंत्री प्रकाश सिंह बादल ने उन्हें एक करोड़ रूपए का इनाम देने की घोषणा की है। साथ ही हरियाणा सरकार ने उन्हें 25 लाख रूपए और महाराष्ट्र सरकार ने 10 लाख रूपए का पुरस्कार देने का ऎलान किया है।

अभिनव की जीत से पूरे देश में जश्a का माहौल है। उत्तर प्रदेश की मुख्यमंत्री मायावती ने भी अभिनव को बधाई देते हुए 2.5 लाख रूपए का इनाम देने की घोषणा की है। वहीं, रेल मंत्री लालू प्रसाद यादव ने घोषणा की है कि अभिनव को आजीवन "गोल्डन पास" दिया जाएगा।

दूसरी ओर, बिहार सरकार ने बिंद्रा को 11 लाख रूपए और मघ्य प्रदेश सरकार ने पांच लाख रूपए इनाम के रूप में देने की घोष्ाणा की है। बीसीसीआई और चंडीगढ़ प्रशासन भी इनामों की इस दौड़ में पीछे नहीं है। बीसीसीआईने बिंद्रा को 25 लाख रूपए और चंडीगढ़ प्रशासन ने पांच लाख रूपए देने का ऎलान किया है।

sumitsehrawat
August 11th, 2008, 05:27 PM
9????
bhai ..:(

Hey there are fair chance that he will win 9 gold this year and create a record.

anil_rathee
August 11th, 2008, 05:32 PM
This is something sportspersons need.
The inspiration.

Lets hope money will poundoring like rhis on our athletes too.:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock

sandeepkadian05
August 11th, 2008, 05:37 PM

Since he is participating in 8, even a superhuman effort will not be enough to get him 9 golds....

Nishantrathi82
August 11th, 2008, 05:45 PM
9????
bhai ..:(

Sorry it was 8 by mistake i typed it as 9

Nishantrathi82
August 11th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Since he is participating in 8, even a superhuman effort will not be enough to get him 9 golds....

Sorry dear i want to type 8 but by mistake it has happened as 9.

deepshi
August 11th, 2008, 05:47 PM
hey thats ok mate..human error!

easy...:):p
Sorry it was 8 by mistake i typed it as 9

Sorry dear i want to type 8 but by mistake it has happened as 9.

sumitsehrawat
August 11th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Men's 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay: USA obliterates world record

Source: http://en.beijing2008.cn/news/sports/headlines/swimming/n214528366.shtml

(BEIJING, August 11)-- In one of the all-time great relay swims, the United States overhauled the French team in the shadows of the finish line to complete a stunning Men's 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay win on Monday, smashing the world record by nearly four seconds in the process.

The US team of Michael Phelps, Garret Weber-Gale, Cullen Jones and Jason Lezak proved unstoppable, with Lezak producing a superb anchor leg to reel in Alain Bernard of France and give the US a victory by 0.08 seconds in 3min 08.24sec. Australia took Bronze in 3:09.91.

The world record set by the US on Saturday was smashed by the Americans again - by a stunning 3.99 seconds - and the first five finishers in the final (United States, France, Australia, Italy and Sweden) all went under the old world record.

The US and Australia went head-to-head for the first 200m, with France further back. France's Frederick Bousquet slipped past the Australians in the third leg to challenge for the lead. Lezak went into the final leg well behind Bernard, with the Frenchman holding a comfortable lead, but then Lezak began to haul in a fading Bernard over the final 30m. With both men lunging for the line, Lezak just touched out Bernard to give the US gold.
"It was unbelievable! Jason (Lezak) finished the race better than we could have asked for. In the last 50 (meters), I was like, this is going to be a really close race. At the end, as you could see I was pretty excited, I was very emotional," Phelps said after the race.

Australia's Eamon Sullivan set a world record for the Men's 100m with a stunning lead-off leg of 47.24 to shave more than two-tenths of a second off Bernard's old mark. Sullivan's superb swim means the 22-year-old will start as favorite in front of Bernard for the Men's 100m Freestyle. Heats start on Tuesday, 12 August

Nishantrathi82
August 11th, 2008, 05:50 PM
hey thats ok mate..human error!

easy...:):p

Thanks dear:)

Nishantrathi82
August 11th, 2008, 06:11 PM

Great news even Abhinav deserve that although money stands no where for the Glory he produce for India but still good steps by the government.

crsnadar
August 11th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Abhinav Bindra made us all proud of being INDIAN.
& this time someone made it with a
GOLD MEDAL
We all are so excited to know what govt goin to do for Sport Persons.
Cheering news..!!!!!!!
:)

sumeetmalik
August 11th, 2008, 09:01 PM
wooo wooo!

sidchhikara
August 11th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Who said Indians don't have sports genes.
Raj Bhavsar is a member of the US Men's gymnastic team. 100% desi stock. He is in the toughest sport imaginable.
Check out his bio.....

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/BIO/Athlete/8/220208.shtml

VPannu
August 12th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Who said Indians don't have sports genes.
Raj Bhavsar is a member of the US Men's gymnastic team. 100% desi stock. He is in the toughest sport imaginable.
Check out his bio.....

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/BIO/Athlete/8/220208.shtml
Well Sid, if you talk about the genes, then almost half of the Canadian men's Hockey team is of Indian origin.

sumitsehrawat
August 12th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Maar maar ghoose dushman ki chaadar si bicha di ring me ... hehehe:)!

Jitender Kumar enters pre-quarterfinals

Source: http://olympics.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/3355559.cms

BEIJING: Jitender Kumar pummelled his Turkish opponent Ulas Furkan Memis in less than three rounds to storm into the fly weight pre-quarterfinals of the boxing competition at the Beijing Olympics on Tuesday.

Jitender, who was making his Olympic debut, led 12-3 before Memis threw in the towel just a few seconds into the third round of the lopsided bout.

Jitender, an Asian Championship bronze medallist, was aggressive from the word go and launched a flurry of straight punches on Memis, who was left scurrying for cover.

The Indian led 5-0 in the first round before stretching the lead to 9-2 by the end of the second round.

The Haryana-lad rarely had his guard up but with lightening fast reflexes, he easily managed to evade whatever little challenge Memis threw at him.

Jitender's persistently aggressive assault left Memis with no choice but to surrender.

Middle weight pugilist Vijender is the other Indian boxer to have advanced to the pre-quarters.

sumitsehrawat
August 12th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Phelps' domination knows no equal in Beijing

Source: http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/08/12/sports/AS-OLY-SWM-Phelps-Domination.php

Phelps joins the Olympic greats

Source: http://africa.reuters.com/sport/news/usnBAN225807.html

Phelps poised to become winningest Olympian ever

Source: http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jUmzfAgQPEhKiCHfOviQPzW3iXHAD92GGDD01

Olympics: Phelps joins exclusive club of Games greats

Source: http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5jI6dKCG5jaUvmGT7DRUIRabbIZnQ

sidchhikara
August 12th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Here is a commentary from the New York Times....

August 10, 2008, 3:10 pm
What the World Is Saying Today: Neatness Counts

By Jeff Z. Klein (http://olympics.blogs.nytimes.com/author/jklein/)
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/blogs/olympics/birdsusa533.jpgWhat a large logo you have: Kobe Bryant representing Ralph Lauren and also the U.S. Olympic team at the Bird’s Nest on Friday. (AP/David Phillip)
PARADE OF SLOVENLINESS If you thought Americans were talking a lot about the size of the Ralph Lauren logo on the U.S. Olympians’ outfits (http://www.americanpolitics.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1634) as they entered the Bird’s Nest during the opening ceremony in Beijing on Friday, it’s nothing compared with what people in other countries are saying about their respective teams’ clothes, demeanor and general appearance.
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/blogs/olympics/birdsindia190.jpg“Shoddily dressed”?: India marching in, sort of. (Cameron Spencer/Getty Images)
Take the Khaleej Times, which pilloried India’s “shoddily dressed contingent” (http://www.khaleejtimes.com/darticlen.asp?xfile=data/subcontinent/2008/August/subcontinent_August345.xml&section=subcontinent&col=) for walking in “unceremoniously not only making ‘mockery’ of the spirit of Olympics, but also put in the picture the infamous slapdash (chalta-hai) attitude in an international gathering.” Millions of Indians, Ravi S. Jha wrote, “glued on TV sets watched the home contingent walking uncaringly with the Tricolour.”
It wasn’t just the Khaleej Times that was upset about the team’s dress. The national paper The Hindu reports that the Indian media on hand in Beijing “cornered the president of the Indian Olympic Association, Suresh Kalmadi” to ask why the tennis players were wearing track suits rather than saris. “The two had returned from their practice and there was no time,” (http://www.hindu.com/2008/08/10/stories/2008081056201700.htm) Kalmadi said.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/blogs/olympics/birdsindo.jpgEnlivening the gravitas: Gusti Made Oka Sulaksana of Indonesia. (Olivier Morin/AFP/Getty Images)
The style section in Canada’s National Post, in its helpful “Olympics of Fashion” rundown of notable outfits (http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/theampersand/archive/2008/08/09/183537.aspx), praised India’s togs for their “regal gold and red scarves,” (though the accompanying photo shows a little of the chalta-hai attitude the Indians were complaining about). Also in for praise: “Uzbekistan’s Lurex-flecked ties and metallic fabric panels folded into the female athletes’ skirts,” “Indonesia’s silk jacquard trim and overskirts enlivening the gravitas of their black-on-black ensembles” and “the Guatemalan ladies who flashed tanned, toned flesh in embroidered peasant blouses worn off the shoulder,” not to mention many other

spdeshwal
August 13th, 2008, 07:43 AM
A sad end of the journey to Beijing for the brave Rajayvardhan Singh Rathore!
My heart goes for this brave man!

http://in.news.yahoo.com/32/20080813/1053/tnl-trap-door-closes-on-rathore_1.html

cheers!

d_dhankhar
August 13th, 2008, 07:51 AM
yeah this one is indeed a sad end.

A sad end of the journey to Beijing for the brave Rajayvardhan Singh Rathore!
My heart goes for this brave man!

http://in.news.yahoo.com/32/20080813/1053/tnl-trap-door-closes-on-rathore_1.html

cheers!

anil_rathee
August 13th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Hi all
very sad news on front of a medal hope in olympic.

After Sania Mirza and Rathore lost its again sad news for Indians.
Saina nehwal lost to indonesian opponent in Quarterfinal.
I was watching her match in the morning before office and got late to office.
She looked little nervous and thats where she lost.
She needs to learn have better control on nerves.
Anyway well doen on her part, she is young and can do better next time.

Mangal Singh Champia who stood 2nd in first round won the second round as well but after few minutes lost in 3rd round.

Lets hope others do good in upcoming events.

Akhil Kumar / Jitender have raised expectations.

sumitsehrawat
August 13th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Source: http://en.beijing2008.cn/news/sports/headlines/swimming/n214536712.shtml

Michael Phelps became the all-time greatest athlete at the Olympics when he won his 10th career Olympic gold medal at the Men's 200m Butterfly, before adding another gold when the US clinched the 4 x 200m Freestyle, giving him an unprecedented 11 career Olympic gold medals.

Phelps has now won five gold medals at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, only two behind Mark Spitz (USA) who set the record of most gold medals at a single Olympics with seven in Munich 1972.

Phelps has gathered seven career Olympic Gold medals in Individual events, only one short of the record by Ray Ewry (USA) who won eight Olympic Gold medals in Athletics Individual events between 1900 and 1908.

deepshi
August 13th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Pannu mate
Oz on 12..
this Stephanie Rice is rocking:cool:---her second gold!
Well Sid, if you talk about the genes, then almost half of the Canadian men's Hockey team is of Indian origin.

shailendra
August 13th, 2008, 09:46 PM
...He is a martian, or like some are now saying back here in a time machine (back from an era much ahead and advanced of us)... there is simply no other explaination tothis madness...

If you have done even a bit of competitive swimming like yours truly (Rajasthan state: Fav event-100 mt freestyle; best time: 1minute 5 seconds! :)) you would know that going from one final to another (or even a heat) to perform at peak level in less than an hour itself is impossible for most athletes (you can, but you would be no where near your best times) and to not only do that but smash records in the process too, and end the race at the blocks and standing up with the chest hardly heaving, or an iota of stress on the face ..... is just NUTs!!! :eek:
He is superman! (sorry folks, didn't wnna break it to you like this! :rolleyes:)

Yeah Deeps, Rice is something (and what a stunner too! She looks amazing!).. speaking of Aussies; glad that the other Aussie dude Ian thorpe is not around this time around; Phleps looks like he would have mincemeat out of him!
Reminds me to add that if you are watching his races live, can you believe the difference by which he is leading the rest of the field in the pool??? I mean.... more than 3-4 seconds or a full body lengths!!!... It's like he is the only swimmer in the pool who seems like he has trained, and the rest are simply some of weekend warriors swimmers who have wandered into the pool next to him! When the truth of the matter is all the rest are record holders and champs in their own might; and this superman is making them look literally pedestrean!... I can only imagine what the silver medallists in all these events can be thinking ("Dude! What a downright super rotten time to be competeing in this event! Wish I was born ten years earlier, when this robot was not around...!" or something like that!)
The best part is that even his rivals can only shake their heads in disbelief and talk in awe about what is happening in the pool next to them!
You then see Mike Phelps being interviwed by the American media as soon as he gets out of the pool.... and the dude is downright modest about what is happening! All he says is I still have a lot of swimming to do and trying to focus on my next event! Stuff of legends, mate... simply stuff of legends!

Then the fact that all this is so historical even for us folks; stuff of legends for time to come..... just try and imagine this- you shall be able to tell your grandkids how you were there watching this greatest Olympian of all times do it, right there ...live infront of your TV glazed eyes!.... I doubt (and all the experts agree with me ;)) that anyone would be able to catch up on this feat in the centuries to come! (I am shaking my heads while I write this!)

Coming to India!
Oh man!!!........ I had so much hopes on this girl Saina. Watched her match's and really thought she had more than just a bronze medal chance... she was good!
But the same story repeats itself; Indians are chokers.... we choke at the home turn. When will we learn that sports is one thing, but mental preparation and conditioning is equally important.... One needs the (Chakde India SRK sorta talk) by the coaches to these sportspersons!

Ah well, the first individual Olympic gold sure took it's time comin' and at least it is here! You go Bindra!!!... attaboy!

deepshi
August 13th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Now thats sumthin Super Shail!
amazing...wot n explanation...I nearly fell for Phelps!

description is poetic..n so true...cudnt get better...

keep writing

deepshi
August 14th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Stephanie Rice on 3rd Gold..
sensational win...swimming relay....
shes killling it!
Go Oz....

VPannu
August 14th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Go Oz.... ke aag OZ :D
not even a single aussie man has been able to crack a goldy yet. Its all aussie women power.

spdeshwal
August 15th, 2008, 08:41 AM
You are absolutely right Shailender, this guy Phelph is not normal human being.
He did it again in 200 mt medley. Sixth Gold with world record and that too beating his nearest rival by 2.33 seconds! Absolutely incredible!

smalik
August 15th, 2008, 01:44 PM
[QUOTE=shailendra;177809][COLOR="Navy"]...He is a martian, or like some are now saying back here in a time machine (back from an era much ahead and advanced of us)... there is simply no other explaination tothis madness...

Hi Shail "Young Dharamendra'
very well written. This guy is great..
Read in today's Times of India about reason behind this performance:

WASHINGTON: Billion-plus strong India might not have medalled a lot in the 108-year old modern Olympics history, but - no surprise here - it’s an Indian scientist who has been inquiring into the ease with which American swimmer Michael Phelps is winning so many Gold medals.

IIT Kanpur alum and George Washington University researcher Rajat Mittal has spent the past five years studying Phelps and his dolphin kick - also known as the 'Berkoff Blastoff' after the Harvard backstroker who used it the first time at the Olympics 20 years ago.

It all began when Mittal, a professor of mechanical and aerospace engineering, got involved in a US Navy project to study dolphins, thought to be the ultimate swimmers. ''We were asked to understand how fish swim so efficiently,'' Mittal recalled in an interview Wednesday, ''and it seemed like a natural extension to apply this to human swimming.''

In collaboration with USA Swimming, Mittal and his colleagues began studying 50 American swimmers, eventually finding that of all of them, Phelps was able to use his body ''in a way that is very, very different from the other athletes...much closer to dolphins than we have seen for any other swimmer.''

And just how does he do that? Phelps is able to straighten his massive size 14 feet to a greater angle (about 15 degrees) than any other swimmer, to reduce resistance. ''Almost 90 percent of all the thrust is coming from the foot,'' Mittal explained. ''And the flatter and bigger your foot is, you essentially have a bigger paddle. Michael's foot size and the angle he generates with it plays a big role in his ability to swim very well.''

So never again laugh at someone with big, flat feet. There’s gold in them!

But foot-size isn’t the only reason behind the Phelps phenomenon. Studies show that his powerful lungs can hold out longer underwater than most swimmers, eliminating the splash and drag that would result if he surfaced early. ''If the body is moving on the surface, it creates waves,'' Mittal explained. ''So if you can move underwater instead you can actually eliminate some resistance.''

The Harvard swimmer David Bergkoff figured this out first 20 years ago, using it effectively at the start and the turns to win four Olympic medals, even as other swimmers copied the technique. Swimming officials eventually imposed a limit of 15 meters underwater, a threshold Phelps exploits faster and better than anyone else.

Mittal returned to his Virginia home only last week from a visit to his hometown New Delhi - when he said his daughter Raina told him that India had won its first individual gold. ''I hope it’s the first of many,'' he said sombrely when reminded of the irony of a researcher from India - with such a Gold drought - studying Phelps' gold medal haul.

sumitsehrawat
August 15th, 2008, 02:47 PM
It's 6: Phelps keeps going with another gold medal

Source: http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jUmzfAgQPEhKiCHfOviQPzW3iXHAD92IFLRO0
By PAUL NEWBERRY – 5 hours ago

BEIJING (AP) — Michael Phelps made it 6-for-6 at the Beijing Olympics, closing in on Mark Spitz with another world-record swim Friday morning.
Phelps dominated right from the start of the 200-meter individual medley and powered away to win in 1 minutes, 54.23 seconds. He knocked off his own mark of 1:54.80 set at last month's U.S. trials, his sixth world record of the games.

Ryan Lochte tried to pull off a daunting double, going against Phelps just 29 minutes after swimming the final of the 200 backstroke. He couldn't keep up, though he did hold on for bronze. Laszlo Cseh of Hungary picked up his third silver of the games — all of them trailing Phelps.

Phelps hung on the lane rope in a familiar pose, admiring his time while his rivals gasped for breath. He extended his right hand to Lochte in the next lane, and the two friends shook hands and patted each other on the head.
Lochte got quite a consolation price: a world record and the first individual gold medal of his career in the backstroke. The laid-back Floridian edged teammate Aaron Peirsol in 1:53.94 to break the mark he shared with Peirsol.
Lochte was known as "Mr. Runner-up" for his frequent second-place finishes to Phelps and Peirsol. Then, he stunned Peirsol at last year's world championships in 1:54.32 and Peirsol matched the time in beating Lochte at the U.S. Olympic trials last month.

Peirsol won the 100 back in Beijing, but failed to match his backstroke double from Athens four years ago. He earned the silver in 1:54.33, while Russia's Arkady Vyatchanin claimed the bronze.

Phelps is just one gold away from tying Spitz's record of seven gold medals at the 1972 Munich Olympics. The 23-year-old from Baltimore was scheduled to return for the semifinals of the 100 butterfly about a half-hour after his win in the 200 IM; assuming he advances, he will try to equal the grandest of Olympic standards on Saturday morning.

sumitsehrawat
August 15th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Paes-Bhupathi knocked out in quarters

Source: http://olympics.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/3368386.cms

The Indian duo of Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi were shown the door by the Swiss pair of Roger Federer and Stanislas Wawrinka in the doubles quarter-finals of the Beijing Olympics.

India's best bet in tennis Paes and Bhupathi lost in straight sets from the hands of Swiss duo Federer and Wawrinka. Paes-Bhupathi lost 2-6, 4-6. The Indian duo couldn't be able to pose much threat against their higher seed opponents as they performed in patches, which was not enough for them to go through the quarters.

The Federer-Wawrinka combine got straight into act on Friday as they sealed the first set 6-2 in their favour. They carried on their good performance as they sealed the second set 6-4 with consummate ease. Earlier on Thursday, rain played spoilsport to drop early curtains in the match with the Indian pair trailing 1-4 to the Swiss pair. The match was just into its 16th minute when heavy downpour forced the match officials to call off the tie.

Federer was looking in great touch after facing a shock singles defeat barely a couple of hours before. Federer got along so well with his partner Wawrinka as they got hold of the proceedings very early before rain halted their march. Federer and Wawrinka broke the service of Indian pair twice to take a commanding lead of 4-0 while the Indians lacking coordination and looking jaded.

The Indians duo finally managed to win the fourth game when Paes held his serve but so did Federer as the fourth seeded Swiss pair went 4-1 ahead in the match.

shailendra
August 15th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Hi Shail "Young Dharamendra'
very well written. This guy is great..
Read in today's Times of India about reason behind this performance:
...And just how does he do that? Phelps is able to straighten his massive size 14 feet to a greater angle (about 15 degrees) than any other swimmer, to reduce resistance. ''Almost 90 percent of all the thrust is coming from the foot,'' Mittal explained. ''And the flatter and bigger your foot is, you essentially have a bigger paddle. Michael's foot size and the angle he generates with it plays a big role in his ability to swim very well.''

So never again laugh at someone with big, flat feet. There’s gold in them!

But foot-size isn’t the only reason behind the Phelps phenomenon. Studies show that his powerful lungs can hold out longer underwater than most swimmers, eliminating the splash and drag that would result if he surfaced early. ''If the body is moving on the surface, it creates waves,'' Mittal explained. ''So if you can move underwater instead you can actually eliminate some resistance.''

Thanks for the 'Young Dharmendra' compliment! ;) [though I susupect he would not have approved of my these 'recent' long hair even at that time! :D]...

Anyways now, Coming back to the toast of these Olympics (and very possibly many more to come!) the human swimming machine- Michael Phelps!

Yup, numerous studies already have been trying to show how his body structure has been a huge boon for him... they even say that if you were to build a perfect swimmer completely from scratch, the dimensions that you would ideally use would make you end up making an exact body double of PHELPS!...

You see another cool thing about the local Television coverage here in the US is that for their American athletes (of course!) they are doing these very interesting background/lifestyle/training methods etc. just before the sportsperson is appearing for their major event, kinda adding spice to the whole story...
Anways, on Michael Phelps they were showing how his upper torso is build visibly and measurably longer than the rest of his lower torso (that is the feet vs. the waist up!)... with a v shaped upper waist, making him ideally balanced in the water... His height (6'4") and a full arm span reaching if he were to stand with his arms starightened to the sides at an incredible 6 feet 7 inches (more than his height!)!!! That's like a human albatross!!!... undoubtedly allowing him great reach in literally all events (especiually the fly, back stroke and the freestyles!)...
His feet are an incredible 14 " size! Damn!... No wonder they work like those flippers (that you can usually see that underwater divers wearing!) to generate thrust and control...
I mean I forget rest of the statistcs they were giving along with the footage... his calories intake, and how is blood (as a result of his regimen, and intense training etc) is pumping upto twice the amount of blood than a regular guy!... etc. etc. and so on...

But having said that I would not take away anything from the main reason why he is what he is.... completely due to his total mental concentration and physical training (the guy was shown litreally eating sleeping and swimming... Period!)... I mean they talk to the guy as soon as he comes out of the pool after each of his major races and he is already thinking and visualizing the next race, as is evident from what he says everytime they try and get some emotional display from him! (knowing the paparazzi, they probably expect him to break out in tears of joy at the way this drama is unfolding!) and frankly for a 22 year old on the brink of immortality, he is cool like a cucumber!

By the way they also continously show live and in replays how he has perfected the techniques of the very important start, the giant leap and uncoiling in the air once more for maximum reach into the water, even the turning at the wall (underwater footages) how deep he goes at the turn and as stays below as long as he can before surfacing (even being on the third of fourth leg... when the lungs must be gasping for air!) to then finally pull away like a giant fish!

What a human swimmer!!! Simply like a well tuned machine in action...

cooljat
August 15th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Indian boxer Akhil Kumar gave the country the best Independence Day gift stunning world champion Sergey Vodapoyanov of Russia to enter the quarterfinals of the men's 54 kg category at the Olympics here Friday.

Akhil, who trailed 3-6 in the third round, rained blows on the world No.1 and reduced the margin to 7-8 by the end of the round. The 27-year-old boxer from Bhiwani, northern state Haryana, showed great determination in getting back into the bout and in the last round held his nerve to tie on points.

After the fourth round, the boxers were locked 9-9, but the judges gave the bout to Akhil for landing more punches than the Russian. The decision shattered the reigning world champion in tears as Akhil did a celebratory jig in the ring at the Workers Gymnasium. The Indian is now just a bout away from an Olympic medal.

Way to go Boys ... give ur best punch!! Godspeed!

http://sify.com/sports/olympics/fullstory.php?id=14740808

Rock on
Jit

sumitsehrawat
August 15th, 2008, 09:13 PM
What a fight ... amazing!!
The World Champion left the ring in tears... Indian boy Akhil Kumar fought one of the best fights of his career. Superb performance from the young pugilist...was full of energy right till the end... awesome!!

Indian boxer Akhil Kumar gave the country the best Independence Day gift stunning world champion Sergey Vodapoyanov of Russia to enter the quarterfinals of the men's 54 kg category at the Olympics here Friday.

Akhil, who trailed 3-6 in the third round, rained blows on the world No.1 and reduced the margin to 7-8 by the end of the round. The 27-year-old boxer from Bhiwani, northern state Haryana, showed great determination in getting back into the bout and in the last round held his nerve to tie on points.

After the fourth round, the boxers were locked 9-9, but the judges gave the bout to Akhil for landing more punches than the Russian. The decision shattered the reigning world champion in tears as Akhil did a celebratory jig in the ring at the Workers Gymnasium. The Indian is now just a bout away from an Olympic medal.

Way to go Boys ... give ur best punch!! Godspeed!

http://sify.com/sports/olympics/fullstory.php?id=14740808

Rock on
Jit

VPannu
August 15th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Indian boxer Akhil Kumar gave the country the best Independence Day gift stunning world champion Sergey Vodapoyanov of Russia to enter the quarterfinals of the men's 54 kg category at the Olympics here Friday. This is brilliant. Top work. But equally disheartening is the exit of Paes/Bhupathi duo. We'll definitely get at least one more. I so wish it better be Gold. Go India. Jai Hind

sidchhikara
August 15th, 2008, 11:44 PM
A little creepy ... but here it is....... why Phelps is a human dolphin.

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/pdfs/vitrovian_man.pdf

cooljat
August 15th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Ya, indeed ... Paes-Bhupati's performance was poor ... their counter parts specially Fedrer single handedly show them defeat, really it was heartbreaking! :( but Akhil's termendous victory again awaked hopes! :)

I've great expections with Vijender & Jitender as well, they both are also in gud nick specially agile & agressive Jitender ... he is so quick & devastating ... it was great to watch his last match in which his oppenent's coach had thrown white towel to stop the match!! :cool:

Vijender fights sensibly with cool head and that sign of a great fighter, I'm dead sure these 3 champs will prove and shine in the arena! Amen!

Go India Go ... Godspeed!

Jai Hind!

Rock on
Jit

This is brilliant. Top work. But equally disheartening is the exit of Paes/Bhupathi duo. We'll definitely get at least one more. I so wish it better be Gold. Go India. Jai Hind

shailendra
August 16th, 2008, 08:30 AM
GOSH!!! That was heartstopping!!!!!!!!....
WHAT a finish! You look at that finish on TV with the naked eye, (with Phelps taking that half a stroke MORE) and your heart just simply sinks, "Damn, his run for equalling (or beating) Mark Spitz's record of seven golds in an Olympic IS OVER right there!!!"...
and then the electronic touch pad flashes Phelps as the winner with 100th of a second over the poor Serbian guy (50.58 to 50.59 seconds)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:...

What magic!:rock

Only one thing comes to mind...

"Kehte hein agar koi cheez DILL se chao to poori kaynaat use tumsae milane mein lagg jaati hai!!!"

sumitsehrawat
August 16th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Thorpe (man who knew only freestyle) foresaw and retired. How often you see man with feet-size of 17 scared to jump in pool... knowing he's not the best. Fear of rejection was so prevalent that 'The Thorpedo' had to retire by the time he turned 24.

Phelps!! 4 x 100 m Medley relay... the US team got disqualified in 2007 World Aquatics Championship in this category... this is going to be the most valuable race for the legend here at Olympics. Tomorrow it is.

Phelps, without exception, is the best swimmer ever...

WHAT a finish! You look at that finish on TV with the naked eye, (with Phelps taking that half a stroke MORE) and your heart just simply sinks, "Damn, his run for equalling (or beating) Mark Spitz's record of seven golds in an Olympic IS OVER right there!!!"...
and then the electronic touch pad flashes Phelps as the winner with 100th of a second over the poor Serbian guy (50.58 to 50.59 seconds)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:...

What magic!:rock

"Kehte hein agar koi cheez DILL se chao to poori kaynaat use tumsae milane mein lagg jaati hai!!!"

sumitsehrawat
August 16th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Today is the 100 final. Gay seems a little tired... its between Usain Bolt and Asafa Powell. It'll be very close and a great race to watch. I think Bolt will win... let's see.

On the track: Jamaicans seem to have captured the track in the past and even in the present. Usain 'the lightening' Bolt is another product, who recently broke the WR held by his compatriot Asafa.

sumitsehrawat
August 16th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Jitender Kumar punches into quarters
Source: http://olympics.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Jitender_Kumar_punches_into_quarters/articleshow/3370601.cms

NEW DELHI: India's promising pugilist Jitender Kumar outpunched Tulashboy Doniyorov of Uzbekistan 13-6 in the men's 51 kg flyweight pre-quarterfinals at the Being Olympics.

Jitender gained a decisive 4-1 lead in the very first round. Jitender foxed Tulashboy by unleashing a fine punch in his tummy to gain a single point in the second round taking his lead to 5-1. Jitender started of well in the third round by picking up three crucial points. Jitender led 11-4, clinching six points in the penultimate round. Tulashboy also managed to earn three more points. In the decisive fourth and final round Tulashboy tried his hard and gained two more points to take his score to six while Jitender also got same number of points to seal the issue in his favour.

Jitender's approach was aggressive right from the word go as he launched a flurry of straight punches against Tulashboy that left him stranded scurrying for cover.

Earlier on Tuesday, Jitender Kumar pummelled his Turkish opponent Ulas Furkan Memis in less than three rounds to storm into the flyweight pre-quarterfinals. Olympic debutant Jitender led 12-3 before Memis threw in the towel to surrender just a few seconds into the third round of the bout. Asian championship bronze medallist Jitender's straightaway adopted an attacking strategy against his opponent by launching series of straight punches.

The Indian led 5-0 in the first round before stretching the lead to 9-2 by the end of the second round. The Haryana-lad rarely had his guard up but with lightening fast reflexes, he easily managed to evade whatever little challenge Memis threw at him. Jitender Kumar, who won the bronze medal at the 2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games, booked his Beijing berth by winning third place play-off at the Asian boxing qualifiers in Kazakhstan.

The 20-year old flyweight boxer is the junior most among the other Indian qualifiers but he is still both swift of foot and quick-witted when it comes to his boxing skills.

pnauhwar21
August 16th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Wow..today was my best days of watching Olympics in last few days..got to watch some really good games..

Usain Bolt looks like Phelps of track n field..just watched his heat which he won in 9.92 sec and that too looking around left n right in final steps. Commentators said they have never seen 9.92 look so easy :) I don't think Gay stands a chance with the mighty 2 Jamaicans.

As for Phelps, his last win was truly remarkable..it was almost a sinking feeling when he took that extra stroke while Cavic seemed to have won it with a glide..phew!! but as they say 'Winner takes it all'

Also, got a chance to watch Jitender Kumar win his 2nd bout against Tulashboy of Uzbekistan..though he won it 13-6, it didn't look like much of a boxing match..it was almost like a wrestling match with Jitender even losing 2 points because of his actions (commentators kept on saying that he should have been disqualified due to repetitively holding his opponent). He needs to learn from this bout and just do boxing..I really hate seeing boxers holding on to each other like lovers rather than just boxing..

pnauhwar21
August 16th, 2008, 12:38 PM
So what is the cheesiest sports in olympics guys? Racewalking for me - men look like total chhamiyaas in that walking style ;)

sumitsehrawat
August 16th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Well, Gay couldn't even make it to the finals. He, as expected, is OUT. Bolt, Powell and Thompson (in that order) should take medals. Donovan Bailey's Olympic record is in danger... Bolt recorded a close 9.85 in semis. Going to be a thriller... :)!

Today is the 100 final. Gay seems a little tired... its between Usain Bolt and Asafa Powell. It'll be very close and a great race to watch. I think Bolt will win... let's see.

sumitsehrawat
August 16th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Vijender Kumar through to quarter-finals

Source: http://olympics.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/3371397.cms

Vijender Kumar beat Thailand's Angkhan Chomphuphuang in the 75kg middle-weight bout to advance to the quarter-finals of boxing competition at the Beijing Olympic Games on Saturday.

Vijender beat Angkhan 13:3 in the round of 16 to join two more Indian boxers Akhil Kumar (54kg) and Jitender Kumar (51kg) in the quarter-final stage. Earlier, Vijender Kumar beats Jack Badou of Gambia in the round of 32 to advance to the pre-quarterfinals.

VPannu
August 16th, 2008, 08:08 PM
what a cracker!!!!
Usain Bolt undoubtedly fastest man on planet alive. Cracked another WR. He so casually finished the race looking around. Wonder whats gonna happen in 4X100 relay

sumitsehrawat
August 16th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Oh yes! I think Bolt could still have bettered 9.69...got a little slow while chest-thumping just before finishing. Could have got around 9.60 had he gone all out till the end. Anyways... an easy victory for him... he, without doubt, is the fastest of them all. Too good to watch.

what a cracker!!!!
Usain Bolt undoubtedly fastest man on planet alive. Cracked another WR. He so casually finished the race looking around. Wonder whats gonna happen in 4X100 relay

sumitsehrawat
August 16th, 2008, 09:23 PM
He was seventh at the turn, more than six-10ths of a second behind Serbia's Milorad Cavic. He was half a body length behind with 25 meters to go.

The difference was that in the end Phelps rushed for the wall from above the water while Cavic was reaching out from under the water. That extra half-stroke won him. Great presence of mind under tremendous pressure. And as Shailendra rightly pointed out... "Kehte hein agar koi cheez DILL se chao to poori kaynaat use tumsae milane mein lagg jaati hai!!!"

WHAT a finish! What magic!:rock

raj_rathee
August 16th, 2008, 11:00 PM

Wonder what the Serbian's take on that would be....

sidchhikara
August 17th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Stayed up late last night to watch Jitender. He beat the crap out of that Uzbek. The fight was not a graceful one but Jitender advanced.
Akhil and Vijender are also looking really good.
I would'nt be surprised if all 3 advance to semis. They are on a high.
I have all their matches saved on my blackberry calender ..... will try to watch all of them..... it is the best feeling to watch them beat the crap out of their opponents.

shailendra
August 17th, 2008, 08:59 AM

Well, maybe just this, "Damn if only I too had six other golds in my kitty... maybe my drive for this would have been different!"..... :D

What pi$$e$ me off is that the Serb is been quoted as saying that he is really the winner and (that other than getting 'touched' out) was the leader throughout the race and would have been the winner, and is the winner in his and his friends, coaches mind!...

Well yeah bud, except you forget that 'winner takes all'... and if being behind by almost a body length and managing to still catch your sorry a$$ up (and like how) is not greatness, then I don't know what is!!!...

[and lastly why don't you, Mr. winner wannabe, try and participate in like 15 other events and then try and be even the same kinda 'almost was' winner! :rolleyes:

sumitsehrawat
August 17th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Phelps stands alone with 8 Gold medals

Source: http://www.necn.com/Boston/Sports/Phelps-stands-alone-with-8-Gold-medals/1218946557.html

(NECN) - All the cards fell right. The unlikely come-from-behind victory in the 4x100m freestyle relay over France was the first hump Michael Phelps needed to get over.

Then came his come-from-behind, one one-hundreths of a second victory in the 100m Butterfly. What seemed impossible at the three-quarters mark of that race -- Phelps accomplished -- touching the wall in the smallest margin possible before Milorad Cavic of Serbia, putting him at 7 gold medals.
And now -- Phelps and teammates Aaron Peirsol, Brendan Hansen and Jason Lezak took gold in the 4x100m medley relay. With this victory Phelps topped Mark Spitz as the holder of the most Gold medals in a single Olympiad at 8 total.

After the race, Phelps was clearly touched by his accomplishment."I don't even know what to feel right now," Phelps said. "There's so much emotions going through my head and so much excitement. I kind of just want to see my mom."

In his record 8th gold medal race, Phelps swam the third leg of the 4x100m medley relay -- the butterfly leg. Anchor Jason Lezak held off a late run made by Australia, who tried to play spoiler to Phelps' record hopes. Lezak touched the wall a half second before the Aussies. Phelps immediately threw his hands in the air in celebration.

"Nothing is impossible," Phelps said. "With so many people saying it couldn't be done, all it takes is an imagination, and that's something I learned and something that helped me."

sumitsehrawat
August 17th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/olympics/2501791/Ian-Thorpe-predicts-Michael-Phelps-will-fall-short-but-still-blow-the-world-away---Olympics.html

"I have said before that I don't think he can do the eight, and still believe that," Thorpe said as he arrived in Beijing. "Mind you, if there is any person on the planet who is capable, it is him. It's sad, but I just don't think it will happen."

1. Time for Thorpe to drown himself in pool. Ugh! Can he be asked what was the real reason of his retirement at 24? Phelps is the answer...

2. Of course, Phelps is the HERO of Beijing 2008.

1. Ian Thorpe yesterday said winning 8 golds by one person(in swimming) is next-to-impossible while Grant Hackett has hopes on Micheal Phelps. I would love to see Phelps winning all golds in all swimming events he's participating in. At Athens he won 6 gold and two bronze...still remember how disappointed I was when he lost 200m freestyle :(!....and also in a 4x200 freestyle relay :(! May he will all 8 this time. According to me, 2. Micheal Phelps will be the hero of Beijing'2008. He is one the finest swimmers of all time and aims to break existing World Records (often he's broken his own world records) every time he enters the pool.

sumitsehrawat
August 17th, 2008, 10:54 AM
And, someone swam 17 times in 9 days...

sumitsehrawat
August 17th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Source: http://en.beijing2008.cn/news/sports/headlines/swimming/n214553373.shtml

Australian Grant Hackett's bid for a record third consecutive Olympic title in the Men's 1500m Freestyle fell apart as Tunisian Oussama Mellouli proved faster than the Australian on Sunday, at the National Aquatics Center. Mellouli's time for the gold medal of 14:40.84 was an African record. Against the expectations of many, he stuck with the two fastest qualifiers, Hackett and Canadian Ryan Cochrane, throughout the race and began to pull away with 200m left.

The lead three swimmers Hackett, Cochrane and Mellouli were never near to threatening the world record at any stage of the race with Cochrane turning in first place, at the 800m mark, in 7:51.06. It was at the 1100m mark that Mellouli made his move on the leader Hackett. He increased the pace to see if the Australian veteran and world record holder could go with him but Hackett was found wanting. From that point on Mellouli pulled away and swam the last 50m in a 28.45 split to ensure Hackett couldn't mount a comeback.
Hackett tried hard to close the gap in the last 100m with a last 50m split of 27.9 but it was not enough and he had to settle for the silver medal in 14:41.53.

Hackett's recent form suggested he could have been able to respond to the challenge from Mellouli but he was unable go with the Tunisian when it was needed.

raj_rathee
August 17th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Well, maybe just this, "Damn if only I too had six other golds in my kitty... maybe my drive for this would have been different!"..... :D

What pi$$e$ me off is that the Serb is been quoted as saying that he is really the winner and (that other than getting 'touched' out) was the leader throughout the race and would have been the winner, and is the winner in his and his friends, coaches mind!...

Oh..did the Serbian really go and say that...I must have missed that...
but that is indeed pathetic if he did...

cooljat
August 17th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Ya, Bro .... our boxers r going great guns! their hard work & dedication paying off! They all certainly deserve Medals!

I wish them all the very best .... hope luck n hard work shine on them!

Godspeed!

Rock on
Jit

Stayed up late last night to watch Jitender. He beat the crap out of that Uzbek. The fight was not a graceful one but Jitender advanced.
Akhil and Vijender are also looking really good.
I would'nt be surprised if all 3 advance to semis. They are on a high.
I have all their matches saved on my blackberry calender ..... will try to watch all of them..... it is the best feeling to watch them beat the crap out of their opponents.

cooljat
August 17th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Ya, certainly he could hv done better but I wonder how he improved his own record so casually .... he ran like Ferrari, what a sprint it was .... unbelievable!!

Well, Today Jamaican women rocked the 100 meter sprint and won all the medals, awesome!!:cool:

But Bolt is Thunder Bolt indeed! ;)

Rock on
Jit

Oh yes! I think Bolt could still have bettered 9.69...got a little slow while chest-thumping just before finishing. Could have got around 9.60 had he gone all out till the end. Anyways... an easy victory for him... he, without doubt, is the fastest of them all. Too good to watch.

d_dhankhar
August 18th, 2008, 07:22 AM
absolutely, that guy even stopped running after 80 meter or so, and started enjoying his win.

Ya, certainly he could hv done better but I wonder how he improved his own record so casually .... he ran like Ferrari, what a sprint it was .... unbelievable!!

Well, Today Jamaican women rocked the 100 meter sprint and won all the medals, awesome!!:cool:

But Bolt is Thunder Bolt indeed! ;)

Rock on
Jit

cooljat
August 18th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Well, Got one word for Phelps achievment, "GR8!" :)

Phelps stands alone with 8 Gold medals

Source: http://www.necn.com/Boston/Sports/Phelps-stands-alone-with-8-Gold-medals/1218946557.html

(NECN) - All the cards fell right. The unlikely come-from-behind victory in the 4x100m freestyle relay over France was the first hump Michael Phelps needed to get over.

Then came his come-from-behind, one one-hundreths of a second victory in the 100m Butterfly. What seemed impossible at the three-quarters mark of that race -- Phelps accomplished -- touching the wall in the smallest margin possible before Milorad Cavic of Serbia, putting him at 7 gold medals.
And now -- Phelps and teammates Aaron Peirsol, Brendan Hansen and Jason Lezak took gold in the 4x100m medley relay. With this victory Phelps topped Mark Spitz as the holder of the most Gold medals in a single Olympiad at 8 total.

After the race, Phelps was clearly touched by his accomplishment."I don't even know what to feel right now," Phelps said. "There's so much emotions going through my head and so much excitement. I kind of just want to see my mom."

In his record 8th gold medal race, Phelps swam the third leg of the 4x100m medley relay -- the butterfly leg. Anchor Jason Lezak held off a late run made by Australia, who tried to play spoiler to Phelps' record hopes. Lezak touched the wall a half second before the Aussies. Phelps immediately threw his hands in the air in celebration.

"Nothing is impossible," Phelps said. "With so many people saying it couldn't be done, all it takes is an imagination, and that's something I learned and something that helped me."

cooljat
August 18th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Ya bro, its hard to believe how can a Sprinter win n break world record so easily n casually that too of 100 mtr ?? :confused:

Just check out this vdo .... look at the Thunder Bolt .... he's so easy & in groovy mood and even before start of the Race he was just dancing! ;)

This is indeed the best ever Race I've even seen in my life! :)

Thunder bolt strikes like lightning ... :cool:

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/usain-bolt-world-record-run-at-beijing-2008-hbk-48/2842581226/?icid=VIDURVSPR01

Rock on
Jit

absolutely, that guy even stopped running after 80 meter or so, and started enjoying his win.

d_dhankhar
August 18th, 2008, 11:43 AM
just amazing.

he made this 100 m look like a childs play.

Ya bro, its hard to believe how can a Sprinter win n break world record so easily n casually that too of 100 mtr ?? :confused:

Just check out this vdo .... look at the Thunder Bolt .... he's so easy & in groovy mood and even before start of the Race he was just dancing! ;)

This is indeed the best ever Race I've even seen in my life! :)

Thunder bolt strikes like lightning ... :cool:

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/usain-bolt-world-record-run-at-beijing-2008-hbk-48/2842581226/?icid=VIDURVSPR01

Rock on
Jit

cooljat
August 18th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Ya, some more interesting info about Lightning Bolt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usain_Bolt

He luvs cricket and played as fast bowler as well .... humm..

just amazing.

he made this 100 m look like a childs play.

ysjabp
August 18th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Boxing Men’s 51 kg Flyweight: Jitender Kumar

Jitender Kumar, who won the bronze medal at the 2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games, booked his Beijing berth by winning third place play-off at the Asian Boxing Qualifiers in Kazakhstan. The 20-year old flyweight boxer is the junior most among the other qualifiers. Jitender is both swift of foot and quick-witted when it comes to his boxing skills.

Career Haul
CWG Bronze, Melbourne, 2006
Kings Cup Bronze, Thailand, 2007
Asian Championships Bronze, Mongolia, 2007
Senior National Gold, Delhi, 2007
National Games Gold, Guwahati, 2008
Asian Boxing Bronze Qualifiers Bronze, 2008

Men’s 54 kg Bantamweight: Akhil Kumar

Akhil Kumar, the 2006 Commonwealth Games gold winner and India's best medal bet at the Beijing Games, qualified for Olympics after upsetting Olympic silver medallist Worapoj Pitchkoom at the Asian Olympic Qualifiers in Bangkok. The 27-year old pugilist was declared the 'Best boxer in Asia' in the qualifying event. Akhil made a stunning comeback after a career-threatening wrist injury that kept him out of the ring for more than six months in 2007. Akhil will be eager to give his best shot this time after making a first round exit in 2004 Athens Olympics.

Top three competitors:
1. Guillermo Ortiz (Cuba)
2. Ali Aliyev (Russia)
3. Joan Tipon (Phillipines)

Men’s 57 kg Featherweight: Anthresh Lalit Lakra

Anthresh Lakra became the first Indian pugilist to qualify for Beijing Olympics after defeating European silver medalist Shahin Imranov at the 2007 World Boxing Championships in United States. The Commonwealth champion Services boxer beat Azerbaijan's Imranov 15-9 in the pre-quarters of featherweight category at the University of Chicago's UIC Pavilion to make the Beijing cut.

Lakra's factfile Name: Anthresh Lalit Lakra
Category: Featherweight
State: Jharkhand
Career Highs:
Gold in National Games, Hyderabad-2002
Silver in Afro-Asian Games, 2003
Gold in Commonwealth Championships, Glasgow, 2005
Silver in SAAF, Colombo, 2006
Qualified for Olympics in Championships, Chicago, 2007
Gold in National Games, Guwahati-2007
Bronze in Chemistry Cup, Germany, 2008

Men’s 75 kg Middleweight: Vijender Singh

Doha Asiad bronze medallist Vijender Singh booked his Beijing berth in style after keeping a clean slate at the Asian Boxing Qualifiers in Kazakhstan. He made it to the Olympics after beating Iran's Amiri Homayon in the semi-finals. Vijender is all geared up for the quadrennial event as he recently stunned Olympic gold medallist Bakhtiyar Artayev of Kazakhstan in the quarter-finals of the AIBA President's Cup boxing tournament. Vijender's victory against Artayev is all the more sweet revenge as he had lost a very close encounter against him at the Doha Asian Games. He would certainly like to make a mark in his second Olympics as he lost early to Mustafa Karagollu of Turkey in 2004 Athens Olympics.
Top three competitors:
1. Matvey Korobov (Russia)
2. Elshod Rasulov (Uzbekistan)
3. Bakhtyar Artayev (Kazakhstan)

Men’s 81 kg Light Heavyweight: Dinesh Kumar

Dinesh Kumar will make his Olympic debut after booking his Beijing berth in the light-heavyweight category. He earned his Olympic ticket in the Asian Boxing Qualifiers in Astana, Kazakhstan. Dinesh had a tough time during his Olympic qualifying campaign as he lost to Zhang Xiaoping in his opening bout, but he bounced back to post two convincing victories in the next rounds to qualify even though he lost the tournament's final to Mehdi Ghorbani.

Top three competitors:
1. Evgeniy Makarenko (Russia)
2. Artur Beterbiev (Russia)
3. Dzhakhon Kurbanov (Tajikstan)

About Boxing:
Two participants of identical weight category fight against each other using their fists in this sporting discipline. It was the Greeks who first introduced the rules in this sport. Boxing has been a part of Olympics since its induction in 1904 Games except the Stockholm Games in 1912. The boxing competition involves a set round of bouts for each individual weight category. The categories have been changed quite a few times during this period. Weights were measured in pounds till 1936 but from 1948 onwards they were measured in kilograms. Format: The pugilist can attain victory in this sporting event by knocking down his opponent during the play with a condition that the player wouldn't be able to get up before the referee counts to ten seconds. If there will be no result of the fight before set number of rounds, a winner is determined either by judges' scorecards or by the referee's decision. There is also a case where bout will be awarded to either of the opponent by the referee if the player is found to be injured to continue.

Game instrument:
This combatting sport has lot of punching and hard-hitting involved in it so there will be lot of precautions to be taken to prevent body blows, which can further damage different parts of human body. Pugilists need wrist wraps and boxing gloves including two basic types of punching bags to practice and hone their boxing skills. Most importantly a headgear is used by all the professionals to keep themselves away from cuts, scrapes, and swelling during the bout.

sumitsehrawat
August 18th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Source: http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/BX/C73/BXM054303.shtml#BXM054303

cooljat
August 18th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Sh**t!!! :(:(:(:( again destiny ditched ! :mad::mad:

Source: http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/BX/C73/BXM054303.shtml#BXM054303

sumitsehrawat
August 18th, 2008, 05:35 PM
No Jit bhai... he lost 3:10... we have to give it to the opponent. Our Akhil was comprehensively beaten. Let's accept this.
Let's look forward to Jitenders' and Vijenders' fights. We still have hopes to break the jinx.

destiny ditched ! :mad::mad:

VPannu
August 18th, 2008, 06:03 PM
we have to give it to the opponent. Our Akhil was comprehensively beaten. Let's accept this.
Dont know about boxing much but the way Akhil was facing his opponent was the strangest I have came across. He had no guard at all almost throughout the course of the game. Anyway, well done Akhil. Better luck next time. We still have a ray of hope.

Nishantrathi82
August 18th, 2008, 06:07 PM

Very sad:( yaar but its ok part of the game better luck next time.

cooljat
August 18th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Bhai didnt watch the match ... but certainly it wasnt Akhil's day ... I wonder how he fell miserably to the opponenet ... but anyways part of game! ..

Akhil has shown enormous mettle ... he is a Hero! Better luck next time Champ..

Well, am very much satisfied with our Kumar Trio Boxers ... let us wish Jitender & Vijender learn from Akhil's defeat and change n adopt counter technique as according! ..

Way to go..

Rock on
Jit

No Jit bhai... he lost 3:10... we have to give it to the opponent. Our Akhil was comprehensively beaten. Let's accept this.
Let's look forward to Jitenders' and Vijenders' fights. We still have hopes to break the jinx.

sumitsehrawat
August 19th, 2008, 12:14 AM
The opponent had done his homework. He had studied our Akhil very well. Akhil is known for not keeping his guard while fighting; this is to tempt the opponent to attack. Akhil is quick on his feet and takes everyone by surprise by moving off the line and punching the opponent. He applied the same tactics today but instead of rushing on to him, the opponent (forgot his name... the Moldovan), waited and took time with his punches. This frustrated Akhil. First two rounds the score was 2-2. The Moldovan was strong in his defence and our Akhil could never break through. Its been said that he was unlucky to get a couple of points which the referees failed to judge and hence the gap. But then, if you ask me the gap is too big to find excuses. Today, we lost.

Akhil is a good boxer and he proved so by beating the world champion in the previous round... but then today he wasn't good. The Moldovan was better prepared. And yes, Akhil under-estimated him.

All in all, good performance by Akhil in this edition of Olympics. I wish he could get a gold... he really could have got one. He was capable.

P.S.: The above-said is my own observation.

Bhai didnt watch the match ... but certainly it wasnt Akhil's day ... I wonder how he fell miserably to the opponenet ... but anyways part of game! ..

Akhil has shown enormous mettle ... he is a Hero! Better luck next time Champ..

Well, am very much satisfied with our Kumar Trio Boxers ... let us wish Jitender & Vijender learn from Akhil's defeat and change n adopt counter technique as according! ..

Way to go..

Rock on
Jit

sanjeev_balyan
August 19th, 2008, 07:56 PM
The opponent had done his homework. He had studied our Akhil very well. Akhil is known for not keeping his guard while fighting; this is to tempt the opponent to attack. Akhil is quick on his feet and takes everyone by surprise by moving off the line and punching the opponent. He applied the same tactics today but instead of rushing on to him, the opponent (forgot his name... the Moldovan), waited and took time with his punches. This frustrated Akhil. First two rounds the score was 2-2. The Moldovan was strong in his defence and our Akhil could never break through. Its been said that he was unlucky to get a couple of points which the referees failed to judge and hence the gap. But then, if you ask me the gap is too big to find excuses. Today, we lost.

Akhil is a good boxer and he proved so by beating the world champion in the previous round... but then today he wasn't good. The Moldovan was better prepared. And yes, Akhil under-estimated him.

All in all, good performance by Akhil in this edition of Olympics. I wish he could get a gold... he really could have got one. He was capable.

P.S.: The above-said is my own observation.

Sahi kaha sumit
Akhil was capable to win that match. He has already proved it by beating the world champion. hard luck, main reason was underestimating the opponent and becoming too aggressive thorough out the match. opponent defended himself very cleverly and i think this was the only difference.

sumitsehrawat
August 19th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Wow!!...what a match!!...awesome:)!!

Argentina ruled the field and the ball right from start. Two goals from Aguero and a late penalty from veteran Riquelme and a disallowed goal for Brazil, sealed the win for Argentina. Sad to see the talented young Brazilians kicking Argentine legs and not the ball...were rightly awarded two red cards. These young Argentines have got incredible talent. They are just too quick to catch up.

Messi reminds me of the great Maradona on field. Just like Maradona was fouled countless times in a game, so seems to be the trick to stop Messi. This boy has something in him. World may witness another Maradona if he remains fit for most part of his career. He's shown tremendous promise. His football is a treat to anyone's eyes. Simply awesome:)!!

Messi and Aguero is a deadly combo up in front...opponents need a superman... oops!! 'super-men' to stop this lethal pair. They're just toooooooooo good :)! Argentina now face Nigeria for Gold. Nigeria earlier blanked Belgium 4-0.

More: http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/08/19/sports/AS-OLY-SOC-Argentina-Brazil.php

SA'2010... here they come.

anilsangwan
August 19th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Inn media aala ki bhi dehi tuddwa ho sei...... bechara practice bhi na karann dee hogi uss tein.... de fone pe fone... conf pe conf.... dhoommaa thaa raakha tha inn ne... Bhiwani er rohtak mein kattiya taar raakha tha 2-3 din ka.... dhyaan te divert hona e tha :(

prashantacmet
August 20th, 2008, 03:16 PM
wrestler sushil kumar wins bronze in 66 kg !!!...congrats to him:rock:rock:rock

Nishantrathi82
August 20th, 2008, 03:24 PM
wrestler sushil kumar wins bronze in 66 kg !!!...congrats to him:rock:rock:rock

Great news dear wow amazing :rock:rock
I wish we will win another 2 in evening today.:rock:rock

deepak_dahiya
August 20th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Sushil Kumar has won bronze medal....

Lets hope for the best for our boxers too. God help them repeating the performance today evening.

Sushil Kumar is from new Delhi.

sumitsehrawat
August 20th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Source: http://olympics.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/3384854.cms

Sushil Kumar won the bronze medal after beating Kazakhstan's Leonid Spiridonav in a play-off in the men's 66 kg freestyle wrestling through repechage round at the Beijing Olympics.

Well... this is awesome... I admit I wasn't expecting such heroics from him. Awesome!!

Maybe by the end of day we'll get two more medal confirmations. Who knows...:)!!
Hip Hip hurrrrraaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy :)! :rock:rock:rock:rock

cooljat
August 20th, 2008, 03:45 PM
That is indeed one of the Greatest news for India in Olympic history!! For the very first time we've won two individual medals! :):):):rock

I guess this news certainly gonna ease the pressure on our Boxers and will fill more zeal n confidence! Way to go .... Godspeed! :)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed! :):)

Rock on
Jit

Source: http://olympics.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/3384854.cms

Sushil Kumar won the bronze medal after beating Kazakhstan's Leonid Spiridonav in a play-off in the men's 66 kg freestyle wrestling through repechage round at the Beijing Olympics.

Well... this is awesome... I admit I wasn't expecting such heroics from him. Awesome!!

Maybe by the end of day we'll get two more medal confirmations. Who knows...:)!!
Hip Hip hurrrrraaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy :)!

positivelook
August 20th, 2008, 04:16 PM
bhai bahut badhiya kaam kiya. I think he is a Jat.

anil_rathee
August 20th, 2008, 04:31 PM
hi all,

good news for india
lets wish our boxers good luck:boxing:boxing:rock:rock

PrashantHooda
August 20th, 2008, 04:35 PM

Lets hope for the best for our boxers too. God help them repeating the performance today evening.

Hurrey.......! :rock
My heartily congratulations to Sushil and all members on Jatland... :)

Lakh lakh badhaiyan and best of luck Sushil.............

Maniisha
August 20th, 2008, 04:39 PM

Kudos Sushil.. :)

sumitsehrawat
August 20th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Source: http://olympics.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/3385313.cms

NEW DELHI: Delhi chief minister Sheila Dixit Wednesday announced a cash award of Rs.5 million for Olympic bronze medal winning wrestler Sushil Kumar.

"It is a great achievement for Sushil. He is the new icon for Delhi and I will give him a cash award of Rs.5 million. If he doesn't have a job I will provide him with one and if he has one he will get an out-of-turn promotion. His coach Satpal will also get promotion," Dixit told a TV channel.

Can someone confirm this about Sushil's coach Satpal... Is he the famous Satpal Sehrawat of Bawana (Heavyweight Wrestling Gold Medalist at Asian Games 1982, New Delhi)???

ysjabp
August 20th, 2008, 05:05 PM
http://static.ibnlive.com/pix/sitepix/08_2008/200808sushil_kumarbig.jpg

TOUGH GUY: Sushil Kumar (R) wrestles USA's Doug Schwab during their 66kg freestyle wrestling match.

Beijing: Wrestler Sushil Kumar gave India one more reason to won cheer when he won the bronze medal in the freestyle 66kg category at the Beijing Olympics on Wednesday.

Sushil defeated Leonid Spiridonov of Kazakhstan 3-1 in the repechage match of the men's freestyle wrestling 66kg to win India's India's first wrestling medal since the 1952 Helsinki Games.

He is only the second Indian wrestler after Khashaba Dadasaheb Jadhav to win an Olympic medal. Jadhav had won a bronze medal in the 1952 Games.

In the earlier rounds of repechage Sushil overcame the challenge of USA's Doug Schwab and Belarrussian Albert Batyrov in the first two repechage rounds.

Sushil had lost to Ukrainian Andriy Stadnik in his quarter-final bout.
The gold medal was won by world champion Ramazan Sahin of Turkey while Stadnik had to be contend with the silver.

Sahin, who is also the European champion, won the bout 2-2, 2-1, 2-2.

The other bronze went to Otar Tushishvili of Georgia, a semi-final loser to Sahin.

This is also the first time since 1952 that India has two Olympic medals.

Earlier, Abhinav Bindra won first-ever Olympics gold medal for the country in the 10meter air rifle event.
http://www.ibnlive.com/news/wrestler-sushil-kumar-wins-bronze/71674-29.html

c.p.chhikara
August 20th, 2008, 05:06 PM
:)lage raho bhai 24 august tak kuch to le kar aao itne bhai ja rahe so

:)

deepak_dahiya
August 20th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Ib to apna bhai Vijender hi reh gaya...
are chhore... kuchh to kamaal dikha de...

Nishantrathi82
August 20th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Maaja aa gaya Sushil ne sahe me bahut accha kaam kiya hai great performance.:rock

sumitsehrawat
August 20th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Source: http://olympics.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Pugilist_Jitender_crashes_out_in_quarters/articleshow/3385735.cms

India's ace pugilist Jitender Kumar lost to Russian Georgy Balakshin in the men's 51 kg flyweight quarter-finals in Beijing.

Balakshin defeated Jitender 15-11 in a one-sided contest as the Indian didn't pose much threat against his mighty opponent. Balakshin clinched the first point and led 2-1 after first round. Balakshin consolidated his lead by earning three more points. However, Jitender bounced back to reduce it to 6-5 in the second round. Both of them went neck to neck in the second round as they managed five match points each. Russian kept the level of his game as he led 13-8 after the end of third round. Jitender got three more points but that was not enough to seal victory.

bahadur1
August 20th, 2008, 05:18 PM
It's a very good news for all of us that Sushil Kumar has won the bronze medal. Congrats to him also.

cooljat
August 20th, 2008, 05:22 PM
hummm.. Hard Luck for Jitender thou he fought like a warrior, we are proud of him ... he is still so young and long way to go!

Cheers to him!

Our last hope is our Jat Bhai Vijender ... lets see how it goes!!

Rock on
Jit

Source: http://olympics.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Pugilist_Jitender_crashes_out_in_quarters/articleshow/3385735.cms

India's ace pugilist Jitender Kumar lost to Russian Georgy Balakshin in the men's 51 kg flyweight quarter-finals in Beijing.

Balakshin defeated Jitender 15-11 in a one-sided contest as the Indian didn't pose much threat against his mighty opponent. Balakshin clinched the first point and led 2-1 after first round. Balakshin consolidated his lead by earning three more points. However, Jitender bounced back to reduce it to 6-5 in the second round. Both of them went neck to neck in the second round as they managed five match points each. Russian kept the level of his game as he led 13-8 after the end of third round. Jitender got three more points but that was not enough to seal victory.

Nishantrathi82
August 20th, 2008, 05:24 PM

Sad ending for a great fighter in olympics, but he did great job.

sumitsehrawat
August 20th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Source: http://olympics.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/slideshow/3385366.cms

He looks so very nice here...:)!!

sumitsehrawat
August 20th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I get a feeling that Sushil is a Jat of Sehrawat gotra. His coach is famous Satpal Sehrawat (Asia Games 1982 gold medalist - heavyweight wrestling)

Can someone confirm this from Aaj-Tak or something...

rsdalal
August 20th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Vijender Confirms a medal now.
Congratulations.

sumitsehrawat
August 20th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Source: http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/BX/C73/BXM075304.shtml#BXM075304

Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :rock:rock:rock:rock!!

JAI HIND:)!!

ysjabp
August 20th, 2008, 07:01 PM
CornerNameNOCWinnerResultsTime/Points/DecisionRedGONGORA Carlos (http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/BIO/Athlete/1/204791.shtml)http://img05.beijing2008.cn/WRM/images/flags/small/ECU.gifEcuadorBlueKUMAR Vijender (http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/BIO/Athlete/8/205928.shtml)http://img05.beijing2008.cn/WRM/images/flags/small/IND.gifIndiaBluePTS9:4

NEWS FLASH : Vijender Kumar enters the semis of the 75kg boxing event in Beijing

Nishantrathi82
August 20th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Source: http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/BX/C73/BXM075304.shtml#BXM075304

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwww thats great yaar now we are going to rock in London Olympics :)
Hurrayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyy:rock

d_dhankhar
August 20th, 2008, 07:21 PM
bahut badhiya

d_dhankhar
August 20th, 2008, 07:22 PM
good news congrats

d_dhankhar
August 20th, 2008, 07:23 PM
jii sa aa gayaaa

anil_rathee
August 20th, 2008, 07:23 PM
AFTER SO MANY DISAPPOINTMENTS FINALLY ONE MORE MEDAL ASSURED FOR INDIA

CHEERS

:boxing:rock:rock:boxing:boxing:boxing:rock:rock

bharti
August 20th, 2008, 07:26 PM
God Bless Vijender:)

The evening the Indian contingent was leaving for Beijing, he had said over the phone to me : poori koshish karoonga ki khaali haath na aaun. :boxing
And he kept his word.

Koyal was reciting the poem by Suryakant Tripathi Nirala as the bout was on :
Himmat Karnewaalon ki kabhi haar nahi hoti (Thanks Neels for posting such a beautiful poem under the thread Hindi- kavita. Koyal knows it by-heart now.)

Just as he was announced the winner, Koyal was reciting....

....Mutthi uski khaali har baar nahi hoti :rock

I was glad to meet Vijender just a month ahead of the Olympics and I took his autograph and he had shyly obliged saying - mujhe iski aadat nahi hai. And I had remarked - Nahi hai to aadat daal lo;)

I am so happy:)

anil_rathee
August 20th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Bhai JAT ho ya kuch aur ke farak pad jyaga?
He is playing for our country.

Not any cast

welldone sushil

congrates
:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock

prashantacmet
August 20th, 2008, 07:31 PM

This guy really rocks!!!:rock:rock

Nishantrathi82
August 20th, 2008, 07:35 PM

The evening the Indian contingent was leaving for Beijing, he had said over the phone to me : poori koshish karoonga ki khaali haath na aaun. :boxing
And he kept his word.

Himmat Karnewaalon ki kabhi haar nahi hoti (Thanks Neels for posting such a beautiful poem under the thread Hindi- kavita. Koyal knows it by-heart now.)

I was glad to meet Vijender just a month ahead of the Olympics and I took his autograph and he had shyly obliged saying - mujhe iski aadat nahi hai. And I had remarked - Nahi hai to aadat daal lo;)

Hey great words he kept his word even he is great guy hope he will win Gold medal.
Bharti g do u know him?

jitendershooda
August 20th, 2008, 07:38 PM

And he kept his word.

Bharti ji we can feel the happiness in your words. Jab humein itni khushi ho rahi hai to unko aur unke parivar walon ko kitni khushi ho rahi hogi ....jinhone pata nahi kaise kaise itne paison ka prabandh kiya hoga ...

Iss desh ke gamman mein bera na kitne heere honge ... je sarkar sahi disha mein kadam thake uneh tarashe to ... haryane ke association ke adhyaksh pad tahi kukar chautala er jindal kuttyan ki dhal ladein they ... dekhte hein kya unmein se koe ... Bhiwani wali acadmy ko grant denge aur koe nae kholenge ... ya phir sushil jaise pata nahi kitne pehlwan rasta bhatak rahe hein iss area mein ... unko koe gaddon wala training academy de paenge ....

Oon bhi te ghane ee bharti karte rahe sein ... je koe chora national khele hai to usne naukri de deni chahiye sarkar ne taki wo apne khel pe concentrate kar pave.

ygulia
August 20th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I agree with Jitender that government should encourage sportsmen. These players should be given jobs and all big departments should have their team so that these players can get financial help in policing their skills.
Conratulations to all on the grand success of Haryanvi Boxer and Delhi's wrestler.

rsdalal
August 20th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Re Bhai Jitender, Katti mere bhee man me yahe baat thi.
Just look at Wrestler Sushil Kumar, Satpal trained him, but olympic me coach hai koyee Mr. Sodhee, why Indian Govt can not send Satpal himself, instead of some body not known in Wrestling like Mr Sodhee.
In Boxing Jagbir Singh coached so many boys in Bhiwani, Let us see how this medal changes his life. Let us see what our polititians do now. Hope CM and MP hooda are listning.

Bharti ji we can feel the happiness in your words. Jab humein itni khushi ho rahi hai to unko aur unke parivar walon ko kitni khushi ho rahi hogi ....jinhone pata nahi kaise kaise itne paison ka prabandh kiya hoga ...

Iss desh ke gamman mein bera na kitne heere honge ... je sarkar sahi disha mein kadam thake uneh tarashe to ... haryane ke association ke adhyaksh pad tahi kukar chautala er jindal kuttyan ki dhal ladein they ... dekhte hein kya unmein se koe ... Bhiwani wali acadmy ko grant denge aur koe nae kholenge ... ya phir sushil jaise pata nahi kitne pehlwan rasta bhatak rahe hein iss area mein ... unko koe gaddon wala training academy de paenge ....

Oon bhi te ghane ee bharti karte rahe sein ... je koe chora national khele hai to usne naukri de deni chahiye sarkar ne taki wo apne khel pe concentrate kar pave.

sanjeev_balyan
August 20th, 2008, 08:09 PM

Jitu, shi kaha bhai. Telent ki kami nahi hai iss desh main. A lot of Abhinavs, susheels, Vijenders are there. Govt should take action from the beginning. Giving cash and other awards after winning the medal is good thing but it will not solve the problem. We have to go on the line of China. Small kids have already been enrolled there for Olympic up to 2020. Target have already been fixed for them. Life has been assured for each sportsman. Sania / Akhil / Jitender and others are also equal to these, who have won the medals. Parents for each sportsman can not provide the facility as Abhinav gets from his parents. Agar Abhinav bhee sarkar ke bharose hota to syad hi medal mil pata. I wish that India will be in medal tally of Olympic as under
2012- in first twenty
2016 -in first fifteen
2020 - in first ten

sumitsehrawat
August 20th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Bhai Jitu ... ekdum sahi baat kahi aapne.

Let's not forget Akhil Kumar, Jitender Kumar (they were good too) and many more who couldn't even go to Olympics. They all are capable because they all are hard-working and so working hard. It's a great feeling to see Vijender and Sushil in medal's list... this will further motivate young lads in Haryana, Punjab, Rajasthan and Delhi, in particular.

Hum SHER hai SHER ... aur aagey badenge .... aur badh ke hi dikhaayenge... jisme damm ho to rok ke dekh lo...jitna rokoge utha aur aage badenge... hum nahi rukenge...

Jai Hind and Jai JAT!!

shailendra
August 20th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Vijender Confirms a medal now.
Congratulations.

Wow! This is such historic news for India! 3 medals in one olympics after simply sooooo LONG!...

Also, Sushil is really to be commended especially after being not even mentioned much in the dailies... I guess because he had lost his opening bout itself in these Beijing Olympics and everyone had written him off from the medals hope since then!... (completely removed the spot light and moved on, to put it mildly!)
To then emerge again like some phoenix from the shadows suddenly make this sort of a comeback with no expectations at all is really even more amazing! (I can only imagine what sort of pressure would be on Vijender now to make it a silver.... and better still a GOLD!)...

But still, everything said and done; it's historic no doubt! Congratulations everyone! This is a moment to cherish no doubt!

ram6april
August 20th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Bhoopender hooda announces 25 lakhs to indian wrestler........ Shusheel kumar ka parmotion and also Stapal singh kaa promotion announced by sheelaa dixit........... hope this will continue.... arr aagle olempic me india 8-10 medal le ke laavegaa....

crsnadar
August 20th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Govt's support was negligible to our sportsmen.
They have shown their calibre which they have built on their own & by their coaches ofcourse.
Govt can just use these victories for vote bank politics.
Anyway.....leave the current politics behind...

as of now......only & only CHEEEERING MOMENTS.....!!!!!

anilsangwan
August 20th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Dhoooommmmaaa thaaaa diya bhai.....Dharti kaattt giri bhai Chhoryaan ne........!!!!!!!

Shabaaassssh Vijender and Sushil !!!!!

sandeepkadian05
August 20th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Well its definitely historic moment for India as they have got their record number of medals in a single olympics but its really depressing to see even countries like Zimbabwe ahead of us in medal tally. Their government isn't helping their athletes at all yet they are ahead of us... What is wrong?????

bharti
August 20th, 2008, 09:07 PM
I am trying to post a few pics from the May- June '08 Vol 3 magazine M where Vijender had modelled.
Could upload only this one as yet. There are few more but am not able to upload right now. Shall try later.

sumitsehrawat
August 20th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Source: http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5g186TLoElTJKlOFxrfXnOnT7PY7A

Stunning Bolt sets 200m Olympic world record

Jamaica's Usain Bolt broke the 200-meter world record to complete the first Olympic golden sprint double in 24 years, surging ahead from the start to win Wednesday's final in 19.30 seconds.

Just four days after shattering his own world 100m record and on the eve of his 22nd birthday, Bolt pulled away around the curve and stretched his victory margin, with Churandy Martina of Dutch Antilles runner-up in 19.82. Bolt, who had not before been pressed to run to the finish line at these Games, raced past the former world record of 19.32 set by American legend Michael Johnson at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics.

Not since Carl Lewis in 1984 had any man claimed 100m and 200m gold in the same Olympics, but this lightning Bolt struck twice in the same place to the delight of 91,000 roaring fans at the Bird's Nest. As Bolt danced around the track on a victory lap, the stadium loudspeakers played "Happy Birthday" to the Jamaican some 90 minutes early.

Bolt became the ninth man to achieve the 100-200 Olympic double after winning the 100 final on Saturday in an astounding 9.69 seconds, breaking his former world mark of 9.72 from May in New York.

After crossing the finish line and raising his arms in celebration, Bolt grabbed a Jamaican flag and draped it around his neck. He took off his golden shoes and began an impromptu celebration dance.

sandeepkadian05
August 20th, 2008, 09:11 PM

Jamaica's Usain Bolt broke the 200-meter world record to complete the first Olympic golden sprint double in 24 years, surging ahead from the start to win Wednesday's final in 19.30 seconds.

Just four days after shattering his own world 100m record and on the eve of his 22nd birthday, Bolt pulled away around the curve and stretched his victory margin, with Churandy Martina of Dutch Antilles runner-up in 19.82. Bolt, who had not before been pressed to run to the finish line at these Games, raced past the former world record of 19.32 set by American legend Michael Johnson at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics.

Not since Carl Lewis in 1984 had any man claimed 100m and 200m gold in the same Olympics, but this lightning Bolt struck twice in the same place to the delight of 91,000 roaring fans at the Bird's Nest. As Bolt danced around the track on a victory lap, the stadium loudspeakers played "Happy Birthday" to the Jamaican some 90 minutes early.

Bolt became the ninth man to achieve the 100-200 Olympic double after winning the 100 final on Saturday in an astounding 9.69 seconds, breaking his former world mark of 9.72 from May in New York.

After crossing the finish line and raising his arms in celebration, Bolt grabbed a Jamaican flag and draped it around his neck. He took off his golden shoes and began an impromptu celebration dance.

Anybody got video link of this race??? Its funny how in total 28.99 seconds Usain bolt has over-shadowed 8 gold medals of Phelps.. The first thing that will come in people's minds when you mention beijing 2008 will be Usain Bolt.

devdahiya
August 20th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Heartiest congratulation to bijender.true son of the soil.May God bless him always.Proud jat standing tall.Hope he wins Gold and put all Jats on the front foot.I will pray for him.

shailendra
August 20th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Anybody got video link of this race??? Its funny how in total 28.99 seconds Usain bolt has over-shadowed 8 gold medals of Phelps.. The first thing that will come in people's minds when you mention beijing 2008 will be Usain Bolt.

HUH!?!...Are you KIDDING me??? :confused:...........

sandeepkadian05
August 20th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Bolt dint have any questionable gold medals mate.. No controversy, Plenty of showmanship and great attitude... Who is the more decorated and well known olympian- Carl Lewis or Mark Spitz, u got ur answer......
HUH!?!...Are you KIDDING me??? :confused:...........

shailendra
August 20th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Bolt dint have any questionable gold medals mate.. No controversy, Plenty of showmanship and great attitude... Who is the more decorated and well known olympian- Carl Lewis or Mark Spitz?, u got ur answer......

My answer is MICHAEL Phelps!!! Heh! Heh! Heh! ;)
[Dude, you must be like totally watching some other 'Olympic-n-world's-greatest-most-celebrated-sportsperson-in-the-news-at-the-moment-and-in-the-times-to-come' channel.......:rolleyes:

Oh, and so now there is a question about Phelps gold medals??? (Huh, I must have missed that part of the news flash right when they are splashing Phelps mug shot in every possible magazine, channel, news ad print media that one can think of at this very moment and even as we speak... ah well :rolleyes:, (you know how it can be; someone like poor me can really get lost getting totally absorbed into such momentous achievement just like every true sports-fan around the world is celeberating,... to catch the poor naysayers that are also bound to come out of the woodwork!)

...as to the showmanship and great attitude part... I suggest you watch Bolt's 100mts sprint race all over again in some u-tube rerun and try and not miss the fact this time that he was already pumping his fists and his chest even much before he passed the finish line... really spoke volumes of 'his' sportsmanship and attitude; ... (the guy was more busy rubbing his undoubtedly amazing flashing streak on the faces of the rest of his not any less illustrious compatriots, than maybe having tried and bettered the record even some more by crucial fraction of seconds. That was really smart thinking for a sportsman! :rolleyes:)...
But then also, doesn't everyone love such a modest n' humble winner!?! He undoubtedly already shows his greatness... :D

...with that I rest my case!!!

ps. and oh, as to already trying to so loosely compare Bolt with the great Carl Lewis himself,.... ahhhhh maaan, now where do I start on this?... would need another big educational post here........:rolleyes:

sandeepkadian05
August 20th, 2008, 10:19 PM
My answer is MICHAEL Phelps!!! Heh! Heh! Heh! ;)
[Dude, you must be like totally watching some other 'Olympic-n-world's-greatest-most-celebrated-sportsperson-in-the-news-at-the-moment-and-in-the-times-to-come' channel.......:rolleyes:

Oh, and so now there is a question about Phelps gold medals??? (Huh, I must have missed that part of the news flash right when they are splashing Phelps mug shot in every possible magazine, channel, news ad print media that one can think of at this very moment and even as we speak... ah well :rolleyes:, (you know how it can be; someone like poor me can really get lost getting totally absorbed into such momentous achievement just like every true sports-fan around the world is celeberating,... to catch the poor naysayers that are also bound to come out of the woodwork!)

...as to the showmanship and great attitude part... I suggest you watch Bolt's 100mts sprint race all over again in some u-tube rerun and try and not miss the fact this time that he was already pumping his fists and his chest even much before he passed the finish line... really spoke volumes of 'his' sportsmanship and attitude; ... (the guy was more busy rubbing his undoubtedly amazing flashing streak on the faces of the rest of his not any less illustrious compatriots, than maybe having tried and bettered the record even some more by crucial fraction of seconds. That was really smart thinking for a sportsman! :rolleyes:)...
But then also, doesn't everyone love such a modest n' humble winner!?! He undoubtedly already shows his greatness... :D

...with that I rest my case!!!

ps. and oh, as to already trying to so loosely compare Bolt with the great Carl Lewis himself,.... ahhhhh maaan, now where do I start on this?... would need another big educational post here........:rolleyes:

Phelps is great, no denying that but sprints are the showcase events in Olympics and thats where Bolt demolished the field.... He went where no one thought human beings can go.. Swimming world records change after every race but beating Michael Johnson's record after 12 yrs was something special.... Bolt has just done what Lewis did in 84, only in more spectacular fashion.. Maybe He slowed down in 100 meters to make sure the margin of victory is not embarrasingly large :D:D.. Have you ever and i mean ever seen a sprinter having time to watch himself on the giant screen or spread his arms out and thump his chest in 100 meters dash... Those images are unforgettable.. All of Phelps world records will be re-written in the next world champs, maybe by phelps himself but bolt's records can't be touched by anyone except the man himself.. Watching Phelps was like watching a machine in action, Watching Bolt was an altogether different sensation.... You were a swimmer so maybe you admire phelps more but walk out that door and listen to other people, everyone is talking about the lightening bolt.......

sumitsehrawat
August 20th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Bhai... ek correction hai... "The first thing that will come in people's minds when you mention Beijing 2008 will be... Michael Phelps.

I don't think I'll ever get to see a better Olympian than the legendary Phelps.

The first thing that will come in people's minds when you mention beijing 2008 will be Usain Bolt.

sumitsehrawat
August 20th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Sandeep bhai, you are right about Carl Lewis and Mark Spitz. And that's exactly what Phelps meant when he famously said "I want to change swimming as a sport". He has changed. He really has:)!!

Bolt dint have any questionable gold medals mate.. No controversy, Plenty of showmanship and great attitude... Who is the more decorated and well known olympian- Carl Lewis or Mark Spitz, u got ur answer......

cooljat
August 20th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Ya bro! Sucha outstanding day for India and specially for our Jat commuity ... 2 medals in a day! wow, whatta Ecstatic Feeling!! :)

Vijender fought really well .... he is so very professional, kept kool head and played the mind game! His technique n reflexes are so very fast n sound! I'm sure this boxer will go high n high! Cheers!!

Hard Luck for Jitu ... but he gave quite a gud fight and lost with dignity!... I heard he had 12 stiches on his chin but still he fought... He is a really a fighter n hero ... doesnt matter much if he couldnt win a medal but he gave his best shot!

All in all, really outstanding performance by Indian Athletes that too in Individual stream! :rock

All the Best to Vijender for Finals! Godspeed!!

Rock on
Jit

cooljat
August 20th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Bro, Usain Bolt is lightning fast and is Thunder Bolt for sure! ;) He sprints like Cheetah .... he just outclassed every other sprinters! what a magic man! :cool:

He is sucha cool dude ... he cheer up with some groovy moves and at the time of Race he is so focused, kool n calm! what an athlete he is!

No where less than Phelps!

Cheers to Cheetah! ;)

Rock on
Jit

ygulia
August 20th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Bro, Usain Bolt is lightning fast and is Thunder Bolt for sure! ;) He sprints like Cheetah .... he just outclassed every other sprinters! what a magic man! :cool:

He is sucha cool dude ... he cheer up with some groovy moves and at the time of Race he is so focused, kool n calm! what an athlete he is!

No where less than Phelps!

Cheers to Cheetah! ;)

Rock on
Jit

This Guy has taken less than double of 100M(9.69x2=19.38) of his own time. He is a real Cheetah and I am sure that in next international event he will break his own 100M record again.

sumitsehrawat
August 21st, 2008, 01:23 AM
Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/athletics/7572854.stm

Usain Bolt's 200m victory in a new world record time of 19.30 seconds was simply incredible. This guy is Superman II.

When I saw the start he made to the race, I just thought 'wow'. It was a much better start than the one he made in winning the 100m - in another new world record time - on Saturday. Guys at 6ft 5ins tall should not be able to start like that. Bolt had the slowest start in the field in the 100m but here it was better than anyone else's and there were some good starters out there. His drive phase, his transition, his bend, his home straight - it was all simply incredible.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44943000/jpg/_44943724_bolt_226new.jpg
We saw Bolt giving it every single ounce of energy, even a lean at the tape

Bolt was immediately up on Zimbabwe's Brian Dzingai, who is a very good 200m runner, and he started absolutely burning up the turn. You've got to get out and run that in 10.01secs or so and I can imagine he ran about 10.00 around the curb, which is amazing. After making up the stagger on all of the people outside him, Usain then opened a five to six metre gap on them. The long stride means he ate up so much more track than everybody else did with each step and, for once, he ran through the finish line.

This is Bolt's favourite event and he wanted that record; he went for it, he came here focused on it. He knew that most likely he'd win gold but gave it every single thing he had. My concern, and the reason I thought he might not get the world record here, was that he wouldn't have been working on his speed endurance, the ability to hold that speed for the entire race.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44943000/jpg/_44943727_sport_bolt_cele512x288.jpg

But he showed that he actually has been working on that and was able to bring it home in 19.30secs; an incredible time, an incredible performance.
This performance was much better than the 100m because we saw Bolt giving it every single ounce of energy, even a lean at the tape.And that lean was not based on trying to beat anyone else because the other guys weren't anywhere close to him.He was just trying to hold that speed for as long as he could and grab that record, which he's done.It's about the accomplishment, that's what he's going to take from this. He worked so hard to break that world record.I don't see any reason why he couldn't now move up to the 400m but I'm not sure if he'll be able to break the world record in that. In my opinion he'll now switch his focus back to the 100m, knowing there's a little more he can take off the 9.69sec. He can start better and go down into the low 9.60s.

But for now all I can say is congratulations, Usain Bolt.
Michael Johnson was talking on BBC Television

d_dhankhar
August 21st, 2008, 05:37 AM
man this guy can run, really amazing. i was watching a documentary about Zamaican sprinters. how they grow up in a very poor community. the only way they can run away from this poverty is by sprinting......

sandeepkadian05
August 21st, 2008, 02:46 PM
Check out this blog about superman bolt.. He got the record against headwind of .9 M/sec.. He ate what is considered unhealthy food by nutritionists.. Mind-Blowing....

This is what he modestly says...

"I'm Lightning Bolt! I'm not Flash Gordon or anybody. My name is Bolt - Lightning Bolt."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/olympics/2008/08/bolt_makes_the_impossible_real.html

Nishantrathi82
August 21st, 2008, 03:59 PM
Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/athletics/7572854.stm

Usain Bolt's 200m victory in a new world record time of 19.30 seconds was simply incredible. This guy is Superman II.

When I saw the start he made to the race, I just thought 'wow'. It was a much better start than the one he made in winning the 100m - in another new world record time - on Saturday. Guys at 6ft 5ins tall should not be able to start like that. Bolt had the slowest start in the field in the 100m but here it was better than anyone else's and there were some good starters out there. His drive phase, his transition, his bend, his home straight - it was all simply incredible.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44943000/jpg/_44943724_bolt_226new.jpg
We saw Bolt giving it every single ounce of energy, even a lean at the tape

Bolt was immediately up on Zimbabwe's Brian Dzingai, who is a very good 200m runner, and he started absolutely burning up the turn. You've got to get out and run that in 10.01secs or so and I can imagine he ran about 10.00 around the curb, which is amazing. After making up the stagger on all of the people outside him, Usain then opened a five to six metre gap on them. The long stride means he ate up so much more track than everybody else did with each step and, for once, he ran through the finish line.

This is Bolt's favourite event and he wanted that record; he went for it, he came here focused on it. He knew that most likely he'd win gold but gave it every single thing he had. My concern, and the reason I thought he might not get the world record here, was that he wouldn't have been working on his speed endurance, the ability to hold that speed for the entire race.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44943000/jpg/_44943727_sport_bolt_cele512x288.jpg

But he showed that he actually has been working on that and was able to bring it home in 19.30secs; an incredible time, an incredible performance.
This performance was much better than the 100m because we saw Bolt giving it every single ounce of energy, even a lean at the tape.And that lean was not based on trying to beat anyone else because the other guys weren't anywhere close to him.He was just trying to hold that speed for as long as he could and grab that record, which he's done.It's about the accomplishment, that's what he's going to take from this. He worked so hard to break that world record.I don't see any reason why he couldn't now move up to the 400m but I'm not sure if he'll be able to break the world record in that. In my opinion he'll now switch his focus back to the 100m, knowing there's a little more he can take off the 9.69sec. He can start better and go down into the low 9.60s.

But for now all I can say is congratulations, Usain Bolt.
Michael Johnson was talking on BBC Television

Even in his 100 meter race just before finish line he was just start celebrating his victory otherwise he will be achiving it bit faster.

anil_rathee
August 21st, 2008, 07:09 PM
हिंदुस्तान जवान हो गया है ....ये यंग इंडिया है ....ये वो भारत है जहां गांव से, छोटे शहरों से अपने बूते ,झंडे गाड़े जा रहे हैं । चाहे वो आज के हिंदुस्तान का अर्जुन ,निशानेबाजी में गोल्ड मेडल जीतने वाला अभिनव बिंद्रा हो।

कुश्ती में कांस्य जीते वाले सुशील कुमार हो या फिर मुक्केबाजी में स्वर्ण पदक की उम्मीदे जगाने वाले विजेंद्र कुमार। सबने अपने दम पर जीत हासिल की है। कामयाबी के आसमान पर चमकने वाले ये वो सितारे हैं जो खुद तो कुछ नहीं बोलते लेकिन उनकी सफलता ताल ठोंककर कहती है- हां ,हममें है दम।

हम आज के हिंदुस्तानी हैं। हम किसी से नहीं डरते। हम हारने से बचने के लिए नहीं खेलते । हम जीतने के लिए खेलते हैं। हमें हार से डर नहीं, लेकिन हमें जीत से मोहब्बत है।
बात चाहे क्रिकेट की हो या निशानेबाजी की या फिर मुक्केबाजी की । इस यंग इंडिया ने दुनिया को दिखा दिया है - हम मैदान में आ गये हैं। याद रखिए अभी तो सिर्फ शुरुआत है। हर चार साल बाद ओलपिंक आता है और सवा सौ करोड़ का हिंदुस्तान एक अदद मेडल के लिए तरसता रहता था ...लेकिन अब ऐसा नहीं होगा।

अब कमान यंगिस्तान के हाथ में है। अब जब हिंदुस्तान की सवा सौ करोड़ जनता उनसे मेडल की उम्मीद करती है तो जवाब भी वैसा ही आता है - हां, हमसे उम्मीदें करो। हम आपको जीतकर दिखाएंगे। हम आपका सिर गर्व से उंचा करेंगे।

हो सकता है मेरी इन बातों के जवाब में कुछ लोग ये कहें कि इतनी तारीफ अभी ठीक नहीं लेकिन याद रखिए। इन युवाओं ने सोचा तो इन्हें मंजिल मिली। कामयाबी की पहली सीढ़ी है -सोच। उसके बाद आती है मेहनत और फिर होते हैं संसाधन। इस ओलंपिक में मेडल जीतने वाले तीनों युवाओं में ,अगर संसाधन की बात छोड़ दी जाए तो बाकी दोनों बातें एक समान हैं। तीनों की सोच और मेहनत में कोई कमी नहीं।

यहां मैं आपको एक और बात बताना चाहूंगा , भले ही अखिल कुमार क्वॉर्टर फाइनल में जीत नहीं सके लेकिन जिस किसी ने भी वो मैच देखा वो उनके आत्मविश्वास का कायल हुए बगैर नहीं रहा होगा और आप ही बताएं अखिल कुमार के इस बयान को कि \'मेडल तो सिर्फ गोल्ड ही होता है\' क्या कहेंगे आप। दरअसल उनकी इस बात में आज का हिंदुस्तान झलकता है।

बात बहुत पुरानी नहीं जब भारतीय खिलाड़ियों की नाकामी के बारे में कहा जाता था -\'अरे ये इसलिए पदक नहीं जीत पाते क्योंकि हमारा खानपान दूसरे देशों जैसा नहीं है , शाहकारी भोजन खाकर हम क्या खाक जीतेगें \' इतना ही नहीं ,हिंदुस्तानी खिलाड़ियों के डील डौल के बारे में भी खूब टीका टिप्पणी की जाती थी। लेकिन अब इन सारी चर्चाओं को मुंहतोड़ जवाब दिया गया है।

पदक जीतने से चूके जीतेंद्र कुमार के सामने कोई और नहीं तीन बार का यूरोपीय चैंपियन था। पूरे चार राउंड तक मुकाबला चला। हालांकि जीतेंद्र मुकाबला नहीं जीत सके लेकिन स्कोर था -15-11...यूरोपीय चैंपियन के सामने ये स्कोर किसी भी मायने में कम नहीं था। जो भी बॉक्सिंग के बारे में थोड़ा बहुत जानते हैं वो आसानी से बता सकते हैं पूरे मैच के दौरान अगर कोई चीज अखर रही थी तो वो थी तकनीक। लेकिन इसके बारे में क्या कहा जाए -ये वो सरकारी जंग है जो शायद ही कभी हिंदुस्तान की चारदीवारी का दामन छोड़े। खैर,इसके बारे में तो बात करनी ही बेमानी है लेकिन इन तमाम मुश्किलों के बावजूद कभी ऐसा नहीं लगा कि कभी भी किसी यंग इंडियन का हौसला कमजोर पड़ा हो।

खैर, यहां पदक जीतना या न जीतना अहम नहीं है। अहम है यंग इंडिया का आत्मविश्वास। अहम है वो जज्बा जो किसी भी खिलाड़ी में वो जोश भरता है - वो आत्मविश्वास पैदा करता है कि वो दुनिया में किसी से कम नहीं। खेलों के महाकुंभ में आने वाले खिलाड़ियों में वो सबको हराकर मेडल पर कब्जा जमा सकता है। इस बार ऐसा हुआ भी है - सीना चौड़ा कर न सिर्फ हमने मेडल जीते हैं बल्कि पूरी दुनिया में हुंकार भी गूंजा दी है - हिंदुस्तान जवान हो गया है।

चलते-चलते एक बात और। 20 अगस्त एक और चीज के लिए याद रखा जाएगा। हिंदुस्तान के खेल इतिहास में ऐसा पहली बार हुआ कि एक ही दिन हमने दो -दो ओलंपिक पदक जीते और इससे भी बढकर , इन ओलंपिक मेडल्स का स्वाद कुछ ऐसा कि लोग क्रिकेट के बारे में भूल गए। शाबास यंग इंडिया।

shailendra
August 21st, 2008, 07:35 PM
IOC blasts Bolt: 'Not the way we perceive being a champion'

BEIJING (AP) - IOC president Jacques Rogge criticized Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt on Thursday for showing a lack of respect to other competitors after his record-breaking gold medal performances in the 100 and 200 meters.

"That's not the way we perceive being a champion," Rogge said, "I think he should show more respect for his competitors and shake hands, give a tap on the shoulder to the other ones immediately after the finish and not make gestures like the one he made in the 100 meters." ...

The International Olympic Committee chief hailed Bolt's stunning achievements in the two sprints, comparing him to American great Jesse Owens, but said Bolt should have cut out the look-at-me flaunting and acknowledged the other athletes....................

sandeepkadian05
August 21st, 2008, 08:03 PM
The following statement from Shawn Crawford. A fellow sprinter Bolt supposedly disrespected.

"I love watching him when he does his thing.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif
"When he was introduced, he was dancing, and the crowd loves it. It adds a bit of sparkle and cheer."

Remember Michael Schumacher punching the air before he used to cross the finish line, Valentino Rossi raising his front tyre when he was so dominant in Moto GP, No one ever said they were disrespecting their opponents. Whats all the fuss about Bolt. Maybe everyone is still shocked by what they have seen... And if the crowds like what he is doing, his opponents like what he is doing then whats Mr. Rogge's problem????

sumeetmalik
August 21st, 2008, 08:52 PM
Is there a link through which I can see Vijender match?

sumitsehrawat
August 21st, 2008, 10:16 PM
Well, this is very sad...:(!!

It seems some kind of ritual that these high-profile sports presidents have to perform every now and then. IOC ex-president Mr. Samaranch used to do it, FIFA president Mr. Blatter does it often and now once again Mr. Rogge has given his uninvited n very stupid remarks. What's his business here? Fellow competitors have been speaking nice about (Thunder)BOLT and crowd has loved him too. As a spectator I did not find any misconduct in Bolt's pre or post victory celebrations. His performance -- magnificent.

If Mr. Rogge cannot appreciate then he should keep quiet. Maybe he can talk about Marion Jones. That time he wasn't as much vocal as he's now. I won't be surprised if tomorrow Mr. Rogge speaks ill about Chinese athletes as well. China has been the best performer in this edition of Olympics and 'they' just can't take it.

Very sad:mad:!!

IOC president Jacques Rogge criticized Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt on Thursday for showing a lack of respect to other competitors

sidchhikara
August 22nd, 2008, 12:36 AM
Is there a link through which I can see Vijender match?

I think Vijender's match will be on CNBC tonite around 2:00 AM Central time.

If its not on CNBC, it will definitely be on one of these from the NBC family:
NBC, MSNBC, USA, Oxygen

sidchhikara
August 22nd, 2008, 12:39 AM
IOC blasts Bolt: 'Not the way we perceive being a champion'

BEIJING (AP) - IOC president Jacques Rogge criticized Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt on Thursday for showing a lack of respect to other competitors after his record-breaking gold medal performances in the 100 and 200 meters.

"That's not the way we perceive being a champion," Rogge said, "I think he should show more respect for his competitors and shake hands, give a tap on the shoulder to the other ones immediately after the finish and not make gestures like the one he made in the 100 meters." ...

The International Olympic Committee chief hailed Bolt's stunning achievements in the two sprints, comparing him to American great Jesse Owens, but said Bolt should have cut out the look-at-me flaunting and acknowledged the other athletes....................

Random old white dude getting pissed. What's new. He should have done that only if the other players complained. I think Usain is quite friendly with his competitors.

sumeetmalik
August 22nd, 2008, 01:05 AM
Thanks Mate...but I am in Sweden these days. Here the national TV shows the games that Sweden or Denmark is competing in.

I think Vijender's match will be on CNBC tonite around 2:00 AM Central time.

If its not on CNBC, it will definitely be on one of these from the NBC family:
NBC, MSNBC, USA, Oxygen

deepshi
August 22nd, 2008, 03:06 AM
On 38 total n still rocking..more to come :)
Pommies on 40
not far enuf

well done India...but as dicscussed,,passion l;acks
n resources too

VPannu
August 22nd, 2008, 11:14 AM
A vital match today when Vijender takes on the Cuban. We could see India climbing up on the medal tally if he beats the crap out of the Cuban. Go INDIA GO....GO VIJENDER. you can do it........:rock

cooljat
August 22nd, 2008, 12:00 PM
Indeed ... he can do it! If he plays his natural game ... if Akhil can beat world's no - 1, he can beat the crap outta Cuban for sure and he has advantage as he's high on confidence n less pressure since he already has secured BRONZE!

I know u'll do it ... our Best Wishes are with the Champ! Go Vijju Go! :)

Less then 1 hour to go ... am pretty excited for the match!...

3 Cheers to him, Vijju prove it .... give ur best punch!

Rock on
Jit

A vital match today when Vijender takes on the Cuban. We could see India climbing up on the medal tally if he beats the crap out of the Cuban. Go INDIA GO....GO VIJENDER. you can do it........:rock

sumitsehrawat
August 22nd, 2008, 01:00 PM
I somehow missed sharing this...

Checkout... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/13/janos-baranyai-photos-vid_n_118695.html

This is the moment Hungarian weightlifter Janos Baranyai's first Olympics ended in agony when he dislocated his right elbow in the ugliest moment yet of the Olympic weightlifting competition.

Baranyai was trying to snatch 148kg in his third lift in the men's 77kg division, when his elbow popped out of its socket.No longer able to support the weight of the barbell, his right forearm bent backward. The 24-year-old Hungarian fell to the floor in shock, shaking and crying out in pain. Hungary's coaching staff and competition officials rushed to Baranyai's aid as he lay trembling on the floor, his arm limp and twisted out of position.

Nishantrathi82
August 22nd, 2008, 01:16 PM
Sad end in Olympics for Vijendra but he did his best.
Vijendra lost by 5-8 to cuba.
Anyways Congrats to him for Bronze he is great fighter.

cooljat
August 22nd, 2008, 01:18 PM
Bad news, Vijju lost match with Cuban 5-8! :(

Nyways, thats part of game!

Cheers to him, he gave cuban a gud fight!

spdeshwal
August 22nd, 2008, 01:19 PM
Sorry Friends, our dream at Beijing is over. Nevertheless, it was a good fight! Even the Coach Sandhu was also satisfied!
I believe, he is just 23 and should bring many more laurales for the nation.

Cheers!

sumitsehrawat
August 22nd, 2008, 01:19 PM
Semi-final bout result: http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/BX/C73/BXM075202.shtml#BXM075202

Vijender lost to Cuban boxer Correa 5-8 in semi-finals. However, the fantastic boxer from Bhiwani gets India another bronze.

India, today, stands at 1 Gold and 2 Bronze medals and this is most likely how it'll finish at Beijing'2008. Wonderful performance from Abhinav Bindra, Sushil Kumar and Vijender Singh. The entire nation is proud of them...:)!!

sidchhikara
August 22nd, 2008, 01:33 PM
Good fight by Vijender, I am proud of him... he will prevail next time.
The Cuban had quicker arms.
The Cubans are hard to beat ... they swept the boxing events in Athens.

pnauhwar21
August 22nd, 2008, 01:50 PM
Was able to watch round 3 & 4 live..Vijender fought well in round 2 as he came back from 2-nil to 4-3 but he virtually gave up the match in round 3 and 4. The 2 extra points he got in round 3 was due a foul by the cuban. I was so much wishing that he would give it all out atleast in round 4 but he just didn't look interested (seemed he was happy enough with bronze).

Notwithstanding his great fights till Quarter-final and his achievement at this little age, he should have shown little more killer instinct and will to win to reach the next level. Anyways, kudos to all his hard work!! (I know its sometimes easier to criticize but couldn't help...)

SANDEEP5
August 22nd, 2008, 01:52 PM
Again same thing happnd, over confidence took vijender to defeat.

But still he is best. After all he won bronze for India.

Sandy

crsnadar
August 22nd, 2008, 01:53 PM
I think Vijendra Singh has already done a lot for the future of BOXING in INDIA. So no need to be sad friends.

I hope in next Olympic INDIA will definitely win 2/3 Gold Medals in Boxing itself.

deepak_dahiya
August 22nd, 2008, 02:28 PM
Again same thing happnd, over confidence took vijender to defeat.

But still he is best. After all he won bronze for India.

Sandy
I don't think he was overconfident...
He definitely gave his best...

prashantacmet
August 22nd, 2008, 02:57 PM
i don't think he was overconfident...
He definitely gave his best...

theek kahi aapne

sumitsehrawat
August 22nd, 2008, 07:28 PM
In a few moments from now, the favourite Jamaican men will take on the world in the 4x100m Men category. Knowing what just happened to Jamaican women, I hope and pray that they don't stumble.

Favourite Jamaican team in women 4x100m women relay finals faltered.
Source: http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/athletics/story/2008/08/22/day-14-olympics-relay.html

Such a waste... huge error by Jamaican women:mad:!!

sumitsehrawat
August 22nd, 2008, 07:59 PM
15 years old World Record broken... by 0.3 seconds despite being the slowest of them all in the reaction times. Superb performance!! Superman II wins his third gold.

Source: http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/AT/C73E/ATM401101.shtml#ATM401101

Jamaica now 11th on the medal sheet. 6 Golds in 10 total medals that they have won. WOW!!

shailendra
August 22nd, 2008, 08:46 PM
Here is the American swimming legend Mark Spitz posing with the new Sports Illustrated Magazine featuring Olympic champion swimmer Michael Phelps on it's cover adorned with his eight gold Olympic medals...

[In 1972, at the Munich Games, Spitz had entered four individual events and three relays and set world records in all of them winning seven golds.
Phelps entered five individual events and three relays in Beijing and set world records in seven events. In winning gold in the 100m butterfly Phelps could "only" manage an Olympic record of 50.58.;)
As you all know he won eight golds in total and with that is the most decorated Olympian now!]

Spitz, on his part, has been generous in his appreciation for his younger compatriot while admitting: "I feel a tremendous load off my back."
He has also gone on to hail Phelps as "the best Olympian of all time"

(Well everything said and done, gotta tell you one thing though man, for a 58 year old guy this legendary swimmer looks damn good for his age!) :cool:

sumitsehrawat
August 22nd, 2008, 08:57 PM
Absolutely, he is.

P.S.: My opinion

He has also gone on to hail Phelps as "the best Olympian of all time"

sumitsehrawat
August 22nd, 2008, 11:19 PM
Legends can't praise speed king enough

Source: http://olympics.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Legends_cant_praise_Bolt_enough/articleshow/3391061.cms

Australian cricketing great Steve Waugh had trouble finding enough superlatives to describe Usain Bolt's sprinting feats. Australian track champion Cathy Freeman was literally lost for words and, unable to speak after losing her voice, had to scribble her reaction down on a piece of paper. "Bolt, like Michael Johnson, took sprinting to another level, in fact human experience in general," she wrote.

A meeting in Beijing of past sporting heroes from Edwin Moses to Daley Thompson was the perfect chance to gauge what yesterday's champions thought of today's double world record holder in the 100m and 200m. At a gathering in the Chinese capital of sporting ambassadors for the Laureus World Sports Academy, they were in awe over Bolt when questioned. Former Australian cricket captain Waugh said: "I was lucky enough to be in the stadium when he won the 100. That was one of the best sporting moments I have seen. "He looks like a once-in-a-lifetime champion. He has got charisma which the sport really needs. It's scary how good he might become."

Hurdler and dual Olympic gold medallist Moses said: "He is an athlete who comes once in every five or six generations. There are very few people who can have that kind of impact."

British decathlete Thompson said: "Any time you see a man run faster than any other human being is a very special moment and he is obviously a very special athlete."

sumitsehrawat
August 22nd, 2008, 11:44 PM
A very nice article...

Source: http://www.rfi.fr/actuen/articles/104/article_1381.asp
What is "being Olympian" exactly?

by Paul Myers
Article published on the 2008-08-21 Latest update 2008-08-21 11:30 TU

Praise the Lord for he hath sent upon us a Lightning Bolt to shine over our firmament. Yes, for the second time in four days, one man has electrified the Olympic Games. Cue one Usain Bolt.The godsend celebrates his 22nd birthday on Thursday as the undisputed head honcho of world sprinting. His scattered foes can do no more than pay tribute. Shawn Crawford, the 200 metres defending champion, said he went up to the Jamaican after the race and informed him he was a bad (in the colloquial sense of outstanding) man. “I told him: ‘You the man. I told him he was a bad, bad man.'”

Jive and high fives aside, what we’d just witnessed in the stadium was pretty good (in the conventional sense of word). Bolt had become the first man in 24 years to win gold in both the 100 and 200 metres sprint at the Olympic Games. He’d also beaten two world records: one his own from earlier in the summer, another set 12 years ago by Michael Johnson at the Atlanta games. The American Carl Lewis was the last lad to achieve the 100 and 200 metres feat. Bolt becomes the ninth man in history to do so, joining legends such as Jesse Owens.

But with all the hullabaloo, Jacques Rogge, the president of the International Olympic Committee has added a word of caution. Bolt must be a bit more respectful towards his peers both in his pre and post race actions, says Rogge. Less of the pre-sprint dancing and more of the post run handshakes.

There seems to be a standard question from journalists covering the Olympics for a publication that we’ll call Sports Psychology Today. “Who is Michael Phelps?” cropped up a couple of times as the American swam his way into glory books during the pool party he was having at the Water Cube. Sure enough after trouncing his rivals for the second time in an Olympic final, we got: “Who is Usain Bolt?” Bolt responded: “Did you see me before the race? That’s me.”

Well the message coming from Rogge is: it might be you but it’s not Olympian. Bolt says it gets the crowd going. And he’s got a case because the intensity and atmosphere in the stadium after his two victories have been spectacular. His wins have also underlined the demise of the United States as the dominant track power. Jamaican women took the first three positions in the 100 metres sprint. Unprecedented that. The American men only claimed silver and bronze in the 200 metres after two disqualifications. Crawford and Walter Dix being the beneficiaries of Wallace Spearmon and Churanda Martina’s misfortunes.

Martina lost his place after the Americans appealed Spearmon’s removal. The US delegation accepted that Spearmon had strayed from his lane. But the tapes also showed the silver medallist Martina doing the same.
And the appeal jury agreed. Needless to say….this has not gone down well in the Dutch West Indies who were busily celebrating their first Olympic track medal.And from having just the bronze. The United States had engineered silver and bronze. Omayra Leeflang, the minister of sports of the Dutch West Indies, says the Americans aren’t being very Olympian about the race. But this is all about medals. China’s dominance in the table is proof of that. Lots of mileage here in the fact that they’ve eclipsed their tally in Athens four years ago.

There was a furore about having the swimming finals in the morning, apparently to satisfy the cravings of US TV networks. The swimmers weren’t happy but they all turned up and world record after world record fell. I’m not entirely sure whether the women’s beach volley ball was programmed for the early morning to assuage the voracious demands of US TV networks. Even though the American pair of Kerri Walsh and Misty-May Treanor hadn’t been beaten for 107 matches, let’s say – because I’m a philanthropic kind of chap – no, the timing had nothing to do with the networks. But let’s also state that the gold medal match was played in the driving rain (rather than the traditional sunshine associated with the sport) with the Chinese and American players in skimpy bikini and sun cap combos.

It looked ridiculous. Barely Olympian.

shailendra
August 23rd, 2008, 01:34 AM
...Here are some of my select favourite ones...:D:D:D
Look n' ENJOY!...

choudharyneelam
August 23rd, 2008, 06:19 PM
Ian Thorpe earlier was my fav.swimmer who lost his glory after the rise of Phelps with a new record (totally fascinating)....i'm just wondering about his unique performance in medley.....all remarkable!!

The bodily structure of Ian is also extra normal from others but about Phelps, he is far distinctive.....so smoothly he made his strokes as if he is moving his hands n legs in the air....so different

another attraction for me is synchronised swimming performed by women....the best i liked is of China and one more team (country's name i forgotten, but the costume was of red colour :D...this i remember)

jitendershooda
August 26th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Re Bhai Jitender, Katti mere bhee man me yahe baat thi.
Just look at Wrestler Sushil Kumar, Satpal trained him, but olympic me coach hai koyee Mr. Sodhee, why Indian Govt can not send Satpal himself, instead of some body not known in Wrestling like Mr Sodhee.
In Boxing Jagbir Singh coached so many boys in Bhiwani, Let us see how this medal changes his life. Let us see what our polititians do now. Hope CM and MP hooda are listning.

You are right Ranvir bhai.

This is what Deepender said :

http://in.jagran.yahoo.com/news/local/haryana/4_6_4752175_1.html

बीजिंग ओलम्पिक में हरियाणा के खिलाड़ियों ने जिस तरह का विश्व स्तरीय प्रदर्शन करके देश को मैडल दिलवाये हैं, ये प्रदेश की वर्तमान सरकार की खेलों को बढ़ावा देने की नीति का ही परिणाम है। यह बात आज यहां सांसद दीपेन्द सिंह हुड्डा ने कही। वे छोटूराम स्टेडियम के कुश्ती हाल में ग्रामीण क्षेत्रों की व्यायामशालाओं के लिए कुश्ती के गद्दे वितरण समारोह के दौरान बतौर मुख्यातिथि उपस्थित समूह को संबोधित कर रहे थे। श्री कृष्ण जन्माष्टमी के पावन पर्व पर आठ अखाड़ों के पहलवानों को कुश्ती के गद्दे वितरित किये गये। दीपेंद्र ने सरकार की खेल नीतियों के बारे में विस्तार से बताया। उन्होंने बताया कि सरकार गांव स्तर पर भी स्टेडियमों का निर्माण करा रही है। इन सुविधाओं से हमारे खिलाड़ियों की प्रतिभा और निखर कर सामने आएगी। खेलों को ज्यादा से ज्यादा बढ़ावा मिले इसके लिए मुख्यमंत्री भूपेंद्र सिंह हुड्डा ने विश्वस्तरीय तथा बेहतरीन प्रदर्शन करने वाले खिलाड़ियों को हर तरह की सुविधाएं देने के साथ-साथ पुलिस विभाग में उच्च पद दे कर उन का सम्मान बढ़ाया है। श्री दीपेन्द्र हुड्डा ने यह भी कहा कि प्रदेश सरकार चाहती है कि प्रदेश से अच्छे खिलाड़ी निकल सकें और वे अच्छे चैंपियन बनकर देश व प्रदेश का नाम रोशन कर सकें। सांसद ने आठ अखाड़ो रामबीर अखाड़ा सांपला, जटखेड़ी अखाड़ा, लाखनमाजरा अखाड़ा, मदीना अखाड़ा, देव कॉलोनी अखाड़ा, टिटौली, बिरधाना व खुडन के अखाड़ों को कुश्ती के लिए गद्दे वितरित किए। सांसद ने इस दौरान यह भी बताया कि बचे हुये अखाड़ों को भी कुश्ती के लिए मैट वित्तरित किये जायेंगे।
सांसद दीपेन्द्र हुड्डा का खेल प्रकोष्ठ की ओर से सतीश नांदल व रामबीर पहलवान ने पगड़ी बांध कर जोरदार स्वागत किया। पहलवानों को गद्दे वितरण समारोह के दौरान कुश्ती संघ के अध्यक्ष चत्तरसिंह पहलवान, रोहतक के एसडीएम मुकुल कुमार, मुख्यमंत्री के चंडीगढ़ आवास के ओएसडी रवीन्द्र सिंह हुड्डा उर्फ बब्बल, चक्रवर्ती शर्मा, कांग्रेस के जिला उपाध्यक्ष कुलदीप नम्बरदार, आदि भी मौजूद थे ।

sumitsehrawat
August 27th, 2008, 02:38 AM
Well, no Phelps no Bolt...this Referee (and a few others) would certainly have some other name to mention.

Angel Matos is a 'former' Cuban taekwondo athlete. He received a gold medal at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney. He was banned for life after kicking a referee at Beijing'2008.

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/wtMostRead/idUSPEK30514420080823
Leading 3-2 in the men's +80-kg bronze-medal bout against Kazakhstan's Arman Chilmanov, Matos slumped to the floor rubbing his leg and was disqualified for exceeding a minute's injury time, prompting the Cuban's coach to rush onto the mat. After a heated exchange, Matos struck the referee in the head with a high kick. He also kicked another official before being escorted out of the arena. A tournament official announced the life ban for Matos and his coach over a loudspeaker a few minutes later. "It was an insult to the Olympic vision, to the spirit of taekwondo and for me, an insult to mankind," said Jin Suk Yang, general secretary of the World Taekwondo Federation (WTF)

Here's the video...: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/890312/

The first thing that will come in people's minds when you mention beijing 2008 will be Usain Bolt.

rsdalal
August 27th, 2008, 07:53 AM
You are right Ranvir bhai.

This is what Deepender said :

http://in.jagran.yahoo.com/news/local/haryana/4_6_4752175_1.html

बीजिंग ओलम्पिक में हरियाणा के खिलाड़ियों ने जिस तरह का विश्व स्तरीय प्रदर्शन करके देश को मैडल दिलवाये हैं, ये प्रदेश की वर्तमान सरकार की खेलों को बढ़ावा देने की नीति का ही परिणाम है। यह बात आज यहां सांसद दीपेन्द सिंह हुड्डा ने कही। ।

Bhai Jitu,
Tu e bata tanne yaa baat kitni sachhi lage se ?

anil_rathee
August 27th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Bhai Jitu,

Bhai sahab
Baat aisi hai jab kimme achya ho jya ni to sab apne naam shreya len ki kosshish karya karein.
Agar pradarshan kharab ho jya to dusre ka naam dhrya karein.
wahi baat Hooda bhi kar rahya sai.
Itni ee chinta thi to pehalyam ke bhains charawan ja rahya tha
Khiladiyan ki aur khaskar ke pahalwanaa ki jo durgati ho rahi sai haryana main wa kissee tai chhupi nahi sai
Ib inaam dena to sarkaar ki majboori si ho rahi sai. Inaam nahi dewainege to janta thukegi inke munh pe.
Udde wo abhay Chautala apne naam ka danka bajata fir rahya sai.

Bhai baat saari ya sai, public nai bhi samajhni chahiye, ib mauka sai in leaderaa tai kimme achya kaam karwan ka sports khatir.
Karwa lyo............
we ganga main haath dho rahye sai
Pichhe tham bhi mat raho...................

JAI HIND:rock:boxing

jitendershooda
August 27th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Bhai Jitu,

Ha ha ha ... bhai mere aankhyan mein pharak rahegya kite .... ha ha ... manne ye line na padhi ... mein te nue raji ho rahya tha ke le in bhaiyan ne mehanat kari to kime sharma sharmi mein sarkar bhi lagi se karan ... ye Kushti ke gadde padhey manne te ... maka le yo te theeke se ... eeb bi kime ho jya wo kisa se ...

Baki ghane ee gamman mein stadium to banae sein ... let us see how about the facilities there .... if they would also be enough then it will really be nice on the govts part and much appreciable.

Manne to Kiloi mein dekhya hai ... Basketball ki academy ne gaam ke ghane ee ghar roshan kar diye ... kae national khelle er aachi jobs mein hein .... so the stadiums in villages can bring really something good.

Rohtak Bus Stand ke peechey bhi kafi bada sports complex ban raha hai .... if it completes and with good facilities .... then it will also be a great achievement for this govt.

Also in some other thread one day shayad deepak dhankar kahe tha ek badminton khelya karta er koe coach nahi tha .... to je issi baat bani ek ye stadium bana ke facilities mein kasar rahe gi to ya investment kisse kaam ki na.

Let us see.

jitendershooda
August 27th, 2008, 07:10 PM
मुख्यमंत्री भूपेन्द्र सिंह हुड्डा की खेलों को बढ़ावा देने की नीति के तहत जिले के 10 गांवों में खेल स्टेडियम बनाने का कार्य पूरा हो चुका है और कई गांवों में कार्य प्रगति पर है।शहर के सेक्टर छह में 82 एकड़ में बन रहे स्टेडियम का कार्य भी युद्ध स्तर पर करवाया जा रहा है।
उपायुक्त आरएस दून ने बताया कि मुख्यमंत्री भूपेन्द्रसिंह हुड्डा खेल प्रतिभाओं को निखारने के लिए शहरों के साथ साथ गांवों में भी खेल स्टेडियमों का निर्माण करवा रहे है। जिले में अब तक 10 गांवों में चिड़ी, घुसकानी, जिंदरान, किलोई दोपाना, नांदल, रिठाल फौगाट, रूड़की, टिटौली, सांगाहेड़्ा व लाखनमाजरा में स्टेडियम बनाने का कार्य पूरा हो चुका है। उन्होंने बताया कि मदीना,सुंडाना, जसिया, नौनंद, करौंथा, खरावड़, इस्माइला, बहुअकबरपुर गांवों में स्टेडियम में हाल बनाने का कार्य जोरों पर किया जा रहा है।

rsdalal
August 27th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Yaa baat huyi naa.....
And it will take time before it produces the result. Hopefuly people do not forget, at that time that it is because of CM hooda who did this, is the cause of medals after 10 years.

मुख्यमंत्री भूपेन्द्र सिंह हुड्डा की खेलों को बढ़ावा देने की नीति के तहत जिले के 10 गांवों में खेल स्टेडियम बनाने का कार्य पूरा हो चुका है और कई गांवों में कार्य प्रगति पर है।शहर के सेक्टर छह में 82 एकड़ में बन रहे स्टेडियम का कार्य भी युद्ध स्तर पर करवाया जा रहा है।
उपायुक्त आरएस दून ने बताया कि मुख्यमंत्री भूपेन्द्रसिंह हुड्डा खेल प्रतिभाओं को निखारने के लिए शहरों के साथ साथ गांवों में भी खेल स्टेडियमों का निर्माण करवा रहे है। जिले में अब तक 10 गांवों में चिड़ी, घुसकानी, जिंदरान, किलोई दोपाना, नांदल, रिठाल फौगाट, रूड़की, टिटौली, सांगाहेड़्ा व लाखनमाजरा में स्टेडियम बनाने का कार्य पूरा हो चुका है। उन्होंने बताया कि मदीना,सुंडाना, जसिया, नौनंद, करौंथा, खरावड़, इस्माइला, बहुअकबरपुर गांवों में स्टेडियम में हाल बनाने का कार्य जोरों पर किया जा रहा है।

jitendershooda
August 28th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Yaa baat huyi naa.....
And it will take time before it produces the result. Hopefuly people do not forget, at that time that it is because of CM hooda who did this, is the cause of medals after 10 years.

Bhai saab bimari te yahe se ... logbag aache kaam ne bhi sarhan mein dikkat mane sein ... they only look for odds and put blanket on rights ... Bhai hum aam aadmi haan ... we should praise for the good and give feedback for the wrongs .... jo aacha ho usse apnao ... hum kisse party gail kyun bandh jyan haan ... jis bhi party mein jo aacha kare ... praise him.

sidchhikara
August 28th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Sonia Faleiro

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Why We Lose

Suresh Kalmadi is one good reason.

According to today's Times of India, The Indian Olympics Association President, who had nothing to do with Abhinav Bindra's, Vijender Kumar's and Sushil's Kumar's medals, and who will, no doubt, best remember this year's Olympics for his tour of China, tried to position his posterior on a seat reserved for medalist Sushil Kumar at a felicitation ceremony for the sporststar at Rashtrapati Bhawan yesterday.

When Kalmadi was told to scram, he 'left in a huff.' (To steal Vijender Kumar's seat?)

Kalmadi found other ways to show the sportsmen his appreciation; to prove to them that they were valued by their country, and that their lifetime of sweat and blood had, in fact, been worth it.

For the felicitation ceremony, he had them booked at a two star hotel in Delhi (apparently changed to a four star, when the media got wind of it). And while he and his buddies flew to China and back on business class, our medallists and all our other hard working and dedicated sportsmen and women were shoved into economy. Questioned about this, one of the officials said 'there were no seats available (in business). When we offered (Sushil and Vijender) our seats, they refused.'

Because they have class enough for all of you?

Labels: News (http://soniafaleiro.blogspot.com/search/label/News)

:: posted by Sonia Faleiro, 3:02 PM

rsdalal
August 29th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Sarre politicians credit lette hande se....
Kiran Chaudhry(Haryana Sports minister) bhee Bejing jaa rahi thee.
Koye bujjo, wa kunssa medal len jaa rahi thi udde....

Sonia Faleiro

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Why We Lose

Suresh Kalmadi is one good reason.

According to today's Times of India, The Indian Olympics Association President, who had nothing to do with Abhinav Bindra's, Vijender Kumar's and Sushil's Kumar's medals, and who will, no doubt, best remember this year's Olympics for his tour of China, tried to position his posterior on a seat reserved for medalist Sushil Kumar at a felicitation ceremony for the sporststar at Rashtrapati Bhawan yesterday.

When Kalmadi was told to scram, he 'left in a huff.' (To steal Vijender Kumar's seat?)

Kalmadi found other ways to show the sportsmen his appreciation; to prove to them that they were valued by their country, and that their lifetime of sweat and blood had, in fact, been worth it.

For the felicitation ceremony, he had them booked at a two star hotel in Delhi (apparently changed to a four star, when the media got wind of it). And while he and his buddies flew to China and back on business class, our medallists and all our other hard working and dedicated sportsmen and women were shoved into economy. Questioned about this, one of the officials said 'there were no seats available (in business). When we offered (Sushil and Vijender) our seats, they refused.'

Because they have class enough for all of you?

Labels: News (http://soniafaleiro.blogspot.com/search/label/News)

:: posted by Sonia Faleiro, 3:02 PM