PDA

View Full Version : Perfectionism as Pyscho Disorder!

cooljat
August 7th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Hi All,

I've been observing that some ppl seek perfection or a special classy touch in everything they do, they look, or they like to see in people,...if they don't find or achieve the same they feel restless n unsatisfied with in; this class of ppl also can be defined as perfectionist and unfortunately or fortunately I somewhat also fall in the same category!! :)

Well, it has been noted by many of my friends and family that I seek a special distinctive touch in everything, am not praising myself here at all as I'm gud for nothing type of guy but still this is the way I'm! :p

Nyways, main motto of starting this thread is, I read in wiki that perfectionism is kinda pyscho disorder!! :eek:

Perfectionism, in psychology, is a belief that perfection can and should be attained. In its pathological form, perfectionism is a belief that work or output that is anything less than perfect is unacceptable. At such levels, this is considered an unhealthy belief, and psychologists typically refer to such individuals as maladaptive perfectionists.

I also found this nice informative reading which defines the same -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3815479.stm

This link also contains a gud small test to tell if u r suffering from this disorder or not ? ;) I took the test n got 7 outta 10!! :eek::cool:

Btw, Interesting reading indeed!! ... Pro psychologist may shed some more light on the very topic! :)

Rock on
Jit

deepakdahiya24
August 7th, 2008, 02:19 PM
yes, it's really interesting topic....& i think it's true what all is written in this topic.

Good information...

ritu
August 7th, 2008, 04:12 PM
excess of anything is a disorder.........even perfection

rinkusheoran
August 7th, 2008, 05:27 PM
i was reaaly gud one n specially the test

Samarkadian
August 7th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Perfectionism, in psychology, is a belief that perfection can and should be attained. In its pathological form, perfectionism is a belief that work or output that is anything less than perfect is unacceptable. At such levels, this is considered an unhealthy belief, and psychologists typically refer to such individuals as maladaptive perfectionists.

Firstly , a belief is not FACT. it can be proven otherwise.This happens so often.

Secondly, main question what is the cause for such cravings for perfection. Simple--Human being is imperfect.There may be other reason as well but framing of human being in incompleteness is the soul cause I believe for perfection. Psychologists shouldn't try to categorise such a natural phenomenon in to pathological / disorder range.

Anyway,

Enjoy this--
The history of the human race (naturally I mean the history of its mind and not merely its wars) is readily intelligible on the theory of the appearance of genius, and of the imitation by the more monkey-like individuals of the conduct of those with genius. The chief stages, no doubt, were house- building, agriculture, and above all, speech. Every single word has been the invention of a single man, as, indeed, we still see, if we leave out of consideration the merely technical terms. How else could language have arisen? The earliest words were "onomatopoetic"; a sound similar to the exciting cause was evolved almost without the will of the speaker, in direct response to the sensuous stimulation. All the other words were originally metaphors, or comparisons, a kind of primitive poetry, for all prose has come from poetry. Many, perhaps the majority of the greatest geniuses, have remained unknown. Think of the proverbs, now almost commonplaces, such as "one good turn deserves another." These were said for the first time by some great man. How many quotations from the classics, or sayings of Christ, have passed into the common language, so that we have to think twice before we can remember who were the authors of them. Language is as little the work of the multitude as our ballads. Every form of speech owes much that is not acknowledged to individuals of another language. Because of the universality of genius, the words and phrases that he invents are useful not only to those who use the language in which he wrote them. A nation orients itself by its own geniuses, and derives from them its ideas of its own ideals, but the guiding star serves also as a light to other nations. As speech has been created by a few great men, the most extraordinary wisdom lies concealed in it, a wisdom which reveals itself to a few ardent explorers but which is usually overlooked by the stupid professional philologists.
--O.W.

Thanks.

gaganjat
August 7th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Jit ! I believe achieving perfection can be a disorder if the feeling of satisfaction is not there ( satsfaction doesnt necessarily stop u from trying hard ) even if u do the best or achieve the best.

There is no way to set up the standards for perfection. The best can be achieved which is better than the previous one but that cant be defined as perfect.

I believe one should try to do their best and try to be the best instead of getting crazy to hit 'perfection' which doesnt actually exist.

ritu
August 7th, 2008, 11:45 PM
rt bhai .....u explained it so well.
Jit ! I believe achieving perfection can be a disorder if the feeling of satisfaction is not there ( satsfaction doesnt necessarily stop u from trying hard ) even if u do the best or achieve the best.

There is no way to set up the standards for perfection. The best can be achieved which is better than the previous one but that cant be defined as perfect.

I believe one should try to do their best and try to be the best instead of getting crazy to hit 'perfection' which doesnt actually exist.

JyotiSandhu
August 8th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Hi All,

I've been observing that some ppl seek perfection or a special classy touch in everything they do, they look, or they like to see in people,...if they don't find or achieve the same they feel restless n unsatisfied with in; this class of ppl also can be defined as perfectionist and unfortunately or fortunately I somewhat also fall in the same category!! :)

Well, it has been noted by many of my friends and family that I seek a special distinctive touch in everything, am not praising myself here at all as I'm gud for nothing type of guy but still this is the way I'm! :p

Nyways, main motto of starting this thread is, I read in wiki that perfectionism is kinda pyscho disorder!! :eek:

I also found this nice informative reading which defines the same -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3815479.stm

This link also contains a gud small test to tell if u r suffering from this disorder or not ? ;) I took the test n got 7 outta 10!! :eek::cool:

Btw, Interesting reading indeed!! ... Pro psychologist may shed some more light on the very topic! :)

Rock on
Jit

hey if dis test is rite then i think m also suffering from dis disorder coz i also got 7 outta 10 but still my other thinking is dat no 1 is perfect each n evry person lacks in 1 thing or other .According 2 me those 10 points mentiond dere r not sufficient enough 2 judge any disorder or nething like dat............

Regards
Jyoti Sandhu

brahmtewatia
August 8th, 2008, 12:23 PM
I believe achieving perfection can be a disorder if the feeling of satisfaction is not there

if there is perfection, satisfaction is bound to follow...they go both together, in fact perfection is the subjugation of satisfaction (and/or viceversa)...thts wat i think...more to follow !

cooljat
August 8th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Gunny Guru, I got your point and fully agree with your words of wisdom! :)

But, what if you seek perfection or that classy touch that makes you feel in everything you do or don't ?? Then the unsatisfactory thingy rises up!

When you want every second thing your way and its kinda impossible then again this inadequate feelings creep in ...

And I believe that's a sort of mild Pyscho disorder ...thou on the contrary everyone is suffering with sort of pysho disorder in today's stressful demanding environment! U reckon ??

Thats what I was willing to express.. :)

and...yeah! I concur with the words that 'there's nothing perfect in this world' but why they say 'Practice makes a man perfect' ?? again contradictory statment, aint it? ;):rolleyes:

Rock on
Jit

rama
August 8th, 2008, 04:55 PM
When you want every second thing your way and its kinda impossible then again this inadequate feelings creep in ...

:)jehi vidhi rakhe ram tehi vidhi rahiye.:)
we have to compromise in many situations in life,and can not get everything according to our will.So you can be a perfectionist as far as you are concerned but when it comes to others,you have to respect and accept them as they are.What is perfect for you may not be even good for others.Living in a society is all about making adjustments .

A perfectionist can not be happy in any circumstance and can never make people happy around him.:)

mukeshkumar007
August 8th, 2008, 05:16 PM
A perfectionist can not be happy in any circumstance and can never make people happy around him.:)

Baat to sehi kehi. :)

choudharyneelam
August 8th, 2008, 09:23 PM
excess of anything is a disorder.........even perfection

very simple n precise n i also stand by the same.....rest about these tests i dont rely that much on these as....while studying the psychology of teaching n learning we came across some standardised tests and the one which attracted everybody's curiosity was Roschach's Ink Blot Test that assess human's personality.....if u can depict the human features in the pictures then it is said that the person is balanced nahin to kuch gadbad hai.....n to our surprise all the college frens find the other way.....hehe.....kyunki hum sabko aisa kuch dikha hi nahin.....:D.....then our lovely teacher asked us to look only for the desired features, n then to get the favourable result we reached at the same....to bhala ye test reliable kaise hua??????????......test hi gadbad hai.....:D:D

jab standardised test ki reliabilty par doubt hai to ye chotte test kya batayenge humaare baare mein.....though i agree that sometimes they derive results with approximation but can be misleading too, 'coz human brain is so manipulative to deal with different situations, and feelings/thoughts of a person changes with every single moment (they might remain interlinked but not the exact every time), then how can one visualize the exaclt result.....and rest we all know about ourselves better than these tests' or games' clarifications

gaganjat
August 10th, 2008, 11:36 PM
if there is perfection ! or one can set his standards to call something perfect which is not actually perfect, to make himself happy or to satisfy himself (which is not a bad thing)

if there is perfection, satisfaction is bound to follow...they go both together, in fact perfection is the subjugation of satisfaction (and/or viceversa)...thts wat i think...more to follow !

gaganjat
August 10th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Jit spot on myate !

but if we start comparing different statements they will all contradict.

about psyco disorder : human beings (including u nd me:o) we are all atleast 25 % mad but when that %age crosses 40% we need help otherwise disorders come and go.

Gunny Guru, I got your point and fully agree with your words of wisdom! :)

But, what if you seek perfection or that classy touch that makes you feel in everything you do or don't ?? Then the unsatisfactory thingy rises up!

And I believe that's a sort of mild Pyscho disorder ...thou on the contrary everyone is suffering with sort of pysho disorder in today's stressful demanding environment! U reckon ??

Thats what I was willing to express.. :)

and...yeah! I concur with the words that 'there's nothing perfect in this world' but why they say 'Practice makes a man perfect' ?? again contradictory statment, aint it? ;):rolleyes:

Rock on
Jit

brahmtewatia
August 12th, 2008, 12:29 PM
perfection ---> to me its a state of mind...a different feeling altogether...cos m too a perfectionist ! :cool:

call it a psychological disorder or watever... i strongly disagree with ppl who say there is "no perfection" ...cos, i've gone thru this feeling so many times in my life, its an out of this world experience... but obviously, not for evry1... only for those who are !!! this may sound HORSE to those who r not born to hv this feeling !!! ;)

if there is/was no perfection then "monalisa", "portrait of dr. gachetwud" "garcon a la pipe","christ in the storm" "the last supper" "no. 5 1948" wud hv n'vr bn made...most wud agree tht YES leonardo, van vincent gogh, picasso, rembrandt off late jackson pollok were all fools suffering frm sum sorta neurological disorders. :rolleyes: all these ppl who think "perfection" does not exists, or those who think it to b sum sorta "psychological disorder"...i wud like to ask one simple Q... y are not everyone famous? wats the secret to fame nd success? probably the toughest answer to find out...havin' said so, i feel tht after analyzing famous personalities one thing i cudn't help noticing was these ppl had traits of perfection. its a complicated business to expln but lemme put it the way i think...

its a common assumption tht nuthin' can be truly perfect nd most of us agree tht complete perfection is just a fiction. on the contrary, nd puttin' it in my words i wud say tht ppl b.cum gr8 or famous only by tryin' to achieve perfection...be it money, glory, power or for tht matter EGO...these r just accessories of this quest to n'vr ending perfection. lets take few examples from different fields: caesar, hitler, mother teresa, steve jobs, osama ! wat d'u find common among these ppl? these ppl r just remembered for their deeds, but no one really questions the intentions behind these deeds. there is a hunger to achieve perfection in all of us (in the context of abv responses...i might say...may b in few of us)...!!! watever !!! ... but not all of us can become one of them ! at sum stage we give up nd say "it can n'vr b achieved", but these ppl were dogmatic perfectionists wch led them in the direction of fame. wat caesar or hitler or alexander tried to do is conquer, in other words they wanted the world to b the way they imagined it to b. they alwys knew tht unless they dominated over other empires the perfect world they thought abt in their minds would never b a reality. they were such despotic perfectionists tht they wouldn't give up the concept of perfection at any cost.

on the other hand ppl like mother teresa, steve jobs, schumacher r also perfectionists. these ppl r famous b.cos they do things to cater to the attitude of perfectness inside themselves. mother teresa is the true example indicating tht EGO nd perfection r terms wch r poles apart. i guess there was an urge inside her to look at this world as perfect nd painless, she did not expect fame or money out of it but fame turned out to be just a byproduct. steve jobs thought of a world wch is close to perfection. their contributions to comfort nd technology tends the world around us b.cum more perfect. these ppl work to bring in things to the populous wch in their terms are closer to perfection. schumacher nd idols of cinema r the insignia of perfection, they teach the world how to be perfect...how to b the best. they r the ones who practice nd understnd the patterns to achieve perfection.

each one of us including all the famous ppl hv sum idea abt perfection but the only deciding factor wch differentiates the two categories is the inability to survive the pursuit to this perfection. ppl make objects like money, happiness, safety, glory nd many such mundane things as the ultimate target, but these r just byproducts. plebeians make the byproducts as the core end products. but, famous ppl make perfection as their target nd supposed end product. on the contrary we cannot disregard the fact tht world is still imperfect, irrespective of havin' so many perfectionists world remains a chaotic place...i wud always say tht these ppl were perfectionists, but it was just the journey to achieve it made them so. none of them truly achieved it b.cos of incongruence at ideas of perfection, they tried to make the world perfect in their own ways and sumtimes even conflicting each others' perspectives. on the whole the utopian world remains a fiction as the animal called "homo sapiens" tries to make the world a perfect place like the one which is present only in his sub conscious mind. :)

choudharyneelam
August 12th, 2008, 08:41 PM
perfection ---> to me its a state of mind...:)

agreed but with little doubts....

is it only limited to mental state???????......no inclusion of other traits and if yes, then i would like to say that i never met any perfectionist in my life as still everybody is striving for the same

what i feel about perfection is...that stage/situation when one does not remain unfulfilled with any wanted requisite and ofcourse state of mind is the first and foremost part of that

Sir, now you explain what is your opinion about the above i wrote

:)

brahmtewatia
August 12th, 2008, 10:21 PM
neelam ji...the last para of my previous quote can answer all your questions. if you want more, then lemme quote yr signatures...as per yr signature the final product wch happens to b a creation of god nd wat u arguably (???) :rolleyes::) call a masterpiece...tell me, isn't tht masterpiece an art of perfection in yr. views???
(must not forget tht a masterpiece is only crafted after a state of perfection has been reached)
if not then u r doubtful of yr. very own existence, i mean the existence of WOMEN (yr. so called masterpiece :p;))... in tht case u must change yr signatures. (perfection + satisfaction = masterpiece)

when i said tht its a "state of mind" it vry obviously implies yr. defined limits nd yr pursuit to achieve this state. once u get tht definition of limits, u can achieve perfection in so many things tht u do... satisfaction is bound to follow... as said earlier, they go both together, in fact perfection is the subjugation of satisfaction (and/or vice versa). to quote myself in other words, I wud say tht perfection consists not in doing extraordinary things, but in doing ordinary things extraordinarily. like the way u say "the beauty lies in the eyes of beholder" so is true with perfection... individuals may hv different standards, tht doesn't deny the existence of perfection. it all depends upon yr. knowledge of perfection nd how u perceive it.

an individual can define his own standards abt perfection...wch can be, often times more or less influenced or attributed from his childhood experience(s)...i mean early memories of not being good enough where u might hv compared yr.self with other ppl's domination. or for the mere fact tht may be they seemed to receive more praise, encouragement or accolades. each person who seemed btr than you... reinforced your deficiencies. u may have developed ways to measure yourself against levels and standards set by other people. as you evolve inside yourself, you begin to grasp how standards of perfection set by other human beings could be ever-shifting, increasing or decreasing...in sucha a case u r drifting away frm the desired state of perfection. to conclude i wud say tht yr. strive towards perfection is obviously defined by yr. standards nd yr pursuit to achieve... i repeat : each one of us including all the famous ppl hv sum idea abt perfection but the only deciding factor wch differentiates the two categories is the inability to survive the pursuit to this perfection. :)

choudharyneelam
August 13th, 2008, 01:03 PM
agreed with all your points, Sir

:)

choudharyneelam
August 13th, 2008, 01:10 PM
anyway, with these discussions atleast u people accepted this eternal truth about MASTERPIECE which u or some others might be denying earlier :D

Samarkadian
August 13th, 2008, 01:39 PM
anyway, with these discussions atleast u people accepted this eternal truth about MASTERPIECE which u or some others might be denying earlier :D

Only God is aware about His work either an eternal MISTAKE or a profound MASTERPIECE.Though most of perfectionist Leonardo's works are incomplete included Monalisa which sometime appears as smiling vampire.May be people believe in incomplete things as Perfect MASTERPIECE.;)
^
^
^

On a lighter note.:D

brahmtewatia
August 13th, 2008, 01:44 PM
as per yr signature the final product wch happens to b a creation of god nd wat u arguably (???) :rolleyes::) call a masterpiece...tell me, isn't tht masterpiece an art of perfection in yr. views???
(must not forget tht a masterpiece is only crafted after a state of perfection has been reached)
if not then u r doubtful of yr. very own existence, i mean the existence of WOMEN (yr. so called masterpiece :p;))... in tht case u must change yr signatures. (perfection + satisfaction = masterpiece)

make no mistakes... i can't say abt others, at least i didn't agreed. read my post agn...its says ARGUABLy ???, later in the same post it says YR. SO CALLED MASTERPIECE. :p:)
(PLEASE ALSO TRY TO UNDERSTAND THE ESSENCE OF SMILEYS USED IN THE POST)

choudharyneelam
August 13th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Only God is aware about His work either an eternal MISTAKE or a profound MASTERPIECE.Though most of perfectionist Leonardo's works are incomplete included Monalisa which sometime appears as smiling vampire.May be people believe in incomplete things as Perfect MASTERPIECE.;)
^
^
^

On a lighter note.:D

Monalisa art is not any incomplete task but has its own mysterious beauty which again only few can understand in the context of art :D

again talking about Masterpiece then here i put up few more words which will synthesize the meaning through a letter written by GOD to a Woman :

Dear Woman,

When i created the heaven and the earth, i spoke to them into being. When i created man, i formed him and breathed life into his nostrils. But you woman, i fashioned after i breathed the breath of life into man b'coz your nostrils are too delicate. I allowed a deep sleep to come over man, so that i could patiently and perfectly fashion you.

Man was put to sleep so that he could not interfere with creativity (see, God also considered them as disturbing element:p). From one bone i fashioned you, i chose the bone that protects man's life. I chose the rib that protects his heart as you are meant to do. With this bone i shaped you, i moulded you, i created you perfectly and beautifully. Your character as the rib - 'strong yet delicate and fragile'. You provide protection for the most delicate organ of man - 'his heart'.

You were not taken from his feet to be under him, nor were you taken from his head to be above him, you were taken from his side to stand beside him. You are my perfect beautiful little girl.

Your eyes don't change them, your lips so lovely when they part in prayer; your nose so perfect in form, your hands so gentle in touch. I caressed your face in your deepest sleep. I held your hand close to mine. Of all that lives and breath you are most like me.

Adam walked with me, yet he was lonely, he could not see me nor touch me, he could only feel me.......So everything i created for adam to share and experience with me, i fashioned in you my holiness, my strength, my purity, my love, my protection and my support.

You are special b'coz you are an extension of me.

Man represents my 'IMAGE'
Woman my 'EMOTIONS'
and together you represents the 'TOTALITY OF GOD'.

Love,
GOD

(so, God was unsatisfied with the only creation of man, and as equated by Tewatia Sir....Perfetcion + Satisfaction = Masterpiece, which can be verified in the case of woman very truely.....so this proves that she is the Masterpiece created by God :D )