PDA

View Full Version : Story of a beggar child

navingulia
September 19th, 2008, 11:26 AM
In my work with street children/beggar children, I have found that there are four types of beggar children.
1. Those who beg to supplement their income by earning an additional 100-200Rs a day. I am not addressing them.
2. Those who beg in front of temples or for other religious reasons like shanidev. They collect quiet a fortune, in fact they have their areas distributed and powerstruggles and fights to maintain supremacy and control over these areas. I am not addressing them.
3. Those children who come to beg because of their need and their own wish to beg. They will take coins given by you and buy something for themselves to eat/wear. This is an imaginary kind of beggar kids which exists only in the mind of common man. I have not yet met a child who falls in this category.

4. Large nuumber of toddlers, infants, babies, small kids, who live with some elders who may/maynot be their parents. They are kept dirty, naked, starved and sent to beg in the hot sun and the extreme cold. They are gold mines. They are able to extract coins even from the soul less people. At times the coins come because the person giving it wants the dirty thing to go away from him at the earliest. The coins they collect are taken away by elders who are into alchohol, drugs, cheap prostitution and the kind. Thanks to the coins(which today are useless for the affluent class and an ideal thing to give away to satisfy an urge of charity), thanks to these coins coming in, these people are encouraged to have/arrange maximum kids and infants.
Since no one would give coins to a covered, clean and well fed child, it is anybody’s guess how these kids will be kept.
Have you seen a small baby at a traffic crossing lying on the muddy footpath, covered in mud, even his eyes are stuck from not cleaning and another 5-7yr old kid shuffing an empty dirty milk bottle into that baby’s mouth. Such a scene forces even the most affluent to pull down the powerwindow of their luxury sedan and take a hand out to give some coins before quickly drwaing it back in. Ensuring that the kid is kept in that very condition and more such kids are arranged. Alas! The poor baby would never know that he was born to die in a dead society of dead people.

No, I don’t want to use harsh words but if I don’t will I be heard??? In these age with people obsessed with spicy, news stories and bollywood movies which are merely a product of a director’s fantacy. In this age where a news reader is asking a doctor who carried out the postmortem of a teenager who was found murdered, asking the doctor ‘how exactly by which physical procedure was he able to determine whether the teen had been raped or not’ and the society watches with interest. Will the silent voice of these kids be heard?????

1. Please don’t give coins to begging kids. If possible give food/clothes.
2. If you see a child being exploited please raise your voice.
3. It is an ADAA dream to change the lives of these children for the better, if you can, please help us.

Regards
Navin Gulia

www.adaa.in
ADAA - Apni Duniya Apna Ashiana – help these children

Sending this mail to 100 people wont bring you good fortune and deleting it wont make you face a catastrophe. You can make your choice as you wish.

navingulia
September 19th, 2008, 11:50 AM
some pictures taken during our food distribution.

navingulia
September 19th, 2008, 11:54 AM
it doesnt take much to make them smile

positivelook
September 19th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Keep doin good stuff Navin! Hmm situation of beggars is really bad in our country but lets hope for the best.

Abhimanyu Phougat

dkumars
September 19th, 2008, 03:18 PM
bhai mail fwd kar diya hai jitno ko ho sakta tha .. aur aap achha kaam kar rahe hai .. jaise bhi hoga help karne ki koshish karenge AADA ki.
Waise bhi mein kabhi paise nahi dete tha inko par abb toh bilkul band kar diya hai. Thats for the imformation bhai saahb

choudharyneelam
September 19th, 2008, 05:34 PM
same is our family's concern about such children.....that's why we always offer food/clothing/study materials to the needy....and never give a single penny in their little hands

choudharyneelam
September 19th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Navin and all other respected members,

One more thing i want to ask you is that if a child if forced to collect moeny by begging from wherever he/she could but the same is not willing to, and want to get release from such burden, then what help can be provided to that child (how to deal with such parents or the one spoiling the childhood of that child, as they are of the biggest interference in such matters).....i'm asking all this, because we met with one such little girl and she wanted to study but was not permitted, when she asked her parents(even after knowing that we'll be taking her responsibility for education).....and next day she again visited our home to beg money(only) as that was the only thing ordered to her.....and we didn't find any right way to take out that child from such deteriorating condition (which even she wanted to happen, but helpless)

so what could be the solution for such cases.....as this is the case where a parent might become obstacle....orphans case can be dealt easily...but what about those as described one above????

navingulia
September 19th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Neelam Ji,
is such cases we need to go to the administration, police.
ADAA is aiming to open a shelter for such kids.
Bhai Amit Chillar has already promised setting up such a shelter.
Administration also has to come into the picture to legally stop it.
Media needs to provide a voice to these children.

choudharyneelam
September 20th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Neelam Ji,
is such cases we need to go to the administration, police.
ADAA is aiming to open a shelter for such kids.
Bhai Amit Chillar has already promised setting up such a shelter.
Administration also has to come into the picture to legally stop it.
Media needs to provide a voice to these children.

OK!!

Will look-out the same way if in future some such case come into our existence.

and indeed appreciable efforts by ADAA group and Amit Chillar.

rest, hoping for the betterment in future.

Regards
Neelam

navingulia
October 29th, 2008, 06:40 PM
After our work among street children, we have realized the real picture as:-

1. No child comes to beg out of his choice. He is sent to beg, he is made to beg.

2. The child is kept unfed, dirty, naked, starved to get your sympathy.

3. The coins given to the child are taken away by those who send him.

4. The fact that a child collects 150rs to 400rs a day, encourages the adults (who are themselves into drugs, prostitution and alcohol) to arrange and send more number of children for more number of hours in extreme conditions.

5. Your giving coins to begging children is the main reason for the exploitation of these children as coin collecting machines.
If you want to give, give eatables like toffees, biscuit packets, fruits but please for these children's sake 'NO MONEY'.

If you see a child begging ask him 'who sent you', 'where do you live'.

If you see an infant/baby being exploited 'question', scold, shout.

When will we wake up as a society?

Till when will these children suffer because of an uncaring, indifferent and lethargic society?

When will our conscience shake us into action?