PDA

View Full Version : Please stop copy-pasting news articles

satyeshwar
October 22nd, 2008, 12:29 PM
Hi everyone,
Please don't just copy past a news article and start a new thread. At the bare minimum, we expect that members put their own opinion about the thread, what they liked or disliked etc. After all they started a thread for some reason, we just want them to share that reason with others.

For example (and this is just an example), everyone reads a newspaper, or listens to news. We ALL know that India beat Australia in the 2nd test match. So just sharing a link with others isn't very useful unless you have a different perspective, something unique that you can bring to the table.

Moderators will be on the lookout of such threads and if it's just a link without any other explanation, then such threads will be closed.

shweta123
October 22nd, 2008, 01:42 PM
Good Move :)

sumitsehrawat
October 22nd, 2008, 02:15 PM
hmm... sure!

Please don't just copy past a news article and start a new thread

SANDEEP5
October 22nd, 2008, 03:34 PM
[quote=satyeshwar;184870]Hi everyone,
Please don't just copy past a news article and start a new thread. At the bare minimum, we expect that members put their own opinion about the thread, what they liked or disliked etc. After all they started a thread for some reason, we just want them to share that reason with others.

Very Good Satyeshwar ji,

Agar yahan aakar bhi ve hi news or unke link milenge tab ?????

Very good decision!!!!! :)

neels
October 22nd, 2008, 09:02 PM
Very Good Move Satyeshwar.

vijay
October 22nd, 2008, 09:29 PM
Good Move, Satyeshawar :)

Couple of months back i suggested a few to write their own views at least to discuss if they post such News clips here but i got interesting answer that nobody should force them to post their views.

Anyways, I hope this official suggestion would be handy.

ssgoyat
October 22nd, 2008, 10:03 PM
thanks god

good move..

sunitahooda
October 23rd, 2008, 09:02 AM
But why Bagh:confused:i was saving my money for newspaper;);) sirf ek thread chala dete hain...."AAJ KI TAZA KHABAR" I actually feel that these news threads are far better than these> Meri pasand ka Hindi song & Meri pasand ka angrezi geet....Aren't those COPY/PASTE stuff and songs that this or that person knows word by word and still going on and on....News are atleast informative. What good a song can do to any member if i say these days i'm crazy for a song "WORLD HOLD ON":o ]

vijay
October 23rd, 2008, 10:49 AM
I actually feel that these news threads are far better than these> Meri pasand ka Hindi song & Meri pasand ka angrezi geet....Aren't those COPY/PASTE stuff and songs that this or that person knows word by word and still going on and on....

I think that the threads mentioned by you were started in good spirit to share one favourite song by individual members. But since late it seems that these thread is favourite pastime for some members especially Hindi Songs. Just search the lyrics of any song and post here. Some people have so many favourite songs everyday while some others came here time to time to complete their quota. Now, these are not favorite song threads but "just search and post here" threads. Typical Copy paste stuff.

Same applies with News Clips but that stuff can be useful if members post some news ( in short or just link ) and write their own views on that news first and all open to discuss. But not just wake up early in the morning and post some links here without looking back to check if there are some comments or replies.

I personally think that if a member want to start a thread he/she must post his/her views first and then invite other fellow members to share their views and he/she should keep checking( and replying) the replies and comments to provide it a proper direction. But most of the member here just start a thread for the sake of starting 'something' first and never take any pain to track the happenings later on. Instead they starts thinking about starting another new thread.

Copy paste should by avoided at first hand unless it seems anavoidable or make some sense otherwise it's totally wastage of time and space.

anilsinghd
October 23rd, 2008, 03:53 PM
But most of the member here just start a thread for the sake of starting 'something' first and never take any pain to track the happenings later on.

There are a couple of points I would like to make , one is personal comment and other is a general suggestion!

I have been a heavy contributor to the song section , I cannot prove it but if you take my word , I have typed in each line ,each word , never ever copied any single one from internet! :) And i duly search the forum for any repetition , once it happened that i checked four songs that i wanted to share but all have been pasted in past so refrained. I do not think suggesting/sharing a song ( ofcourse no repetitions allowed ) is not such a bad idea! :) And this is exactly the reason some time back i suggested to have people assigned responsibilities for each section! Satyeshwar you said that you would do that if need arises. I find no harm in creating certain posts with limited power ( only to delete certain entries , threads in particular sections )! Increases accountability , fosters participation and common spirit and increases efficiency! The senior moderators can focus on development of the site at large! :)

Two , i guess at least the new threads should be moderated , it increases the tasks of moderators but moderators can better move/merge/delete the threads! I am pretty sure still that combining jokes/news/birthday and similar threads which occur frequently is a good idea! :)

jitendershooda
October 24th, 2008, 12:10 PM
But why Bagh:confused:i was saving my money for newspaper;);) sirf ek thread chala dete hain...."AAJ KI TAZA KHABAR" I actually feel that these news threads are far better than these> Meri pasand ka Hindi song & Meri pasand ka angrezi geet....Aren't those COPY/PASTE stuff and songs that this or that person knows word by word and still going on and on....News are atleast informative. What good a song can do to any member if i say these days i'm crazy for a song "WORLD HOLD ON":o ]

:)
I liked one thing, the way Dr Neelam has concluded her thread related to Hindi Kavita.

Similar thing can be practiced by Mods by asking the owner of the thread itself to conclude the thread, this way we will provide respect to the owner and avoid lots of hussle and ego hurts, keeping harmony around.

PrashantHooda
October 24th, 2008, 11:17 PM
In my opinion the person who starts a thread should not be entitled to be the sole owner of that thread. It's the indispensable contribution and cooperation of the other contributors which makes it a distinguished one and helps to draw conclusions as well latches on it.
So threads should not be closed mere on the appeal of it's starter, along with him/her there should be rational judgment behind locking of a thread.

And newspaper links provide a better and broader vision for the arguments for an affair. As they contain reliable news and data about the fact. Personal opinions by a member on a news may lead to a deviation from the exact subject matter or may be the reason of misunderstanding, misinterpretation or manipulation of data/ particulars of the evidence.
So these should not be stopped if the news is significant one which affects the society on the whole, though a check can be imposed on worthless discussions leaded by any news.

:)
I liked one thing, the way Dr Neelam has concluded her thread related to Hindi Kavita.

Similar thing can be practiced by Mods by asking the owner of the thread itself to conclude the thread, this way we will provide respect to the owner and avoid lots of hussle and ego hurts, keeping harmony around.

rsdalal
October 25th, 2008, 12:25 AM
In my opinion it helps jatland and its member to get one stop jat related news here. In fact I appreciate those member who take this pain and post the news for others and save them some time. In fact this is the service to the community, as there is no news paper or site which caters exclusively jat news.

anilsinghd
October 25th, 2008, 01:07 AM
In my opinion the person who starts a thread should not be entitled to be the sole owner of that thread. It's the indispensable contribution and cooperation of the other contributors which makes it a distinguished one and helps to draw conclusions as well latches on it.
So threads should not be closed mere on the appeal of it's starter, along with him/her there should be rational judgment behind locking of a thread.

And newspaper links provide a better and broader vision for the arguments for an affair. As they contain reliable news and data about the fact. Personal opinions by a member on a news may lead to a deviation from the exact subject matter or may be the reason of misunderstanding, misinterpretation or manipulation of data/ particulars of the evidence.
So these should not be stopped if the news is significant one which affects the society on the whole, though a check can be imposed on worthless discussions leaded by any news.

And yes , anyone who is up for an contradiction in what Prashant said ? :) And there in lies the uniqueness thingy! :)
though yes , certainly not one thread for an news item , they can be clubbed.

Though what caught my eyes more was the recognition that yes , threads are made by discussions , not authors alone! It is a bit unfair on the members to just close the thread on the request of the author!

And there in lies the need for people who head certain sections because they can navigate the discussions to a more better journey! They can take care of thread with a more intent. Also it is equally important to make sure that at least the threads which invite discussion are clsoed with proper conclusions drawn and they put into one common thread in which we only identify the thread , name , author , important contributors and significant outcomes/ideas coming out.

Come on people , all these suggestions are for good , we can for sure create those representatives of each section with limited authority! :)

sunitahooda
October 25th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Umm thats why they dont sound like original song's lyrics. Even if you write....no TYPE each word by YOUR HANDS/FINGERS how is the thread enlightened, unless you are trying to impress "someone" indirectly;) sorry(please bear). But thats by the by, few days back the antakshri thread was closed stating the reason that it is increasing the number of posts of the members, Shouldn't the same criteria be fixed for SONGS thread. Here i appreciate the threads like "WAFA AUR MOHABBAT" atleast most of the compositions were coming STRAIGHT FROM THE HEARTS:)

A suggestion> Lets not count/ increase the number of posts on certain threads like Favourite Movie/ Hindi Song or Angrezi geet:)
Sometime back i'd seen a member trying to humiliate a new member by suggesting him to go and see her number of posts before he expresses his views:confused:

Seriously, had I been good at browsing....My posts would have been HIGHEST by posting on SONGS/ GEETS threads:D:p

Same we'll experience on DIWALI....everyone wants to start a new thread to WISH EACHOTHER
There are a couple of points I would like to make , one is personal comment and other is a general suggestion!

I have been a heavy contributor to the song section , I cannot prove it but if you take my word , I have typed in each line ,each word , never ever copied any single one from internet! :) Increases accountability , fosters participation and common spirit and increases efficiency! The senior moderators can focus on development of the site at large! :)

Two , i guess at least the new threads should be moderated , it increases the tasks of moderators but moderators can better move/merge/delete the threads! I am pretty sure still that combining jokes/news/birthday and similar threads which occur frequently is a good idea! :)

vijay
October 25th, 2008, 08:56 PM

Prashant, nobody owns any threads here but generally most of the threads are recognized by their starter. It's just for the identification and sometimes for the contribution as well. A single person can't make any thread distinguishable unless there is contribution and cooperation from other members to make it a successful. Success of a thread should not be rated by the number of replies ONLY but should be rated on the basis of substantial, constructive, analytical and creative replies regarding the different aspects of the topic under discussion.

There is no harm if starter of the thread thinks that the purpose for starting the thread is fullfiled ( according to the starter ) and thread should be closed. But yes if other members like to continue it they can request the moderators to reopen the thread for new posts. I saw so many previously closed thread being opened for new posts.

Most of the discussion in current affairs section happens on daily news we hear, read and came across. News clips are good source of imformation as well as subject for the discussion. But the issue here is totally different. It's all about the daily dose of new threads which just contain a link or just a line about the news. A news itself contain a lot of subjects, points, directions and sometimes they have multiple versions too. It makes some sense that what is/are the points in that news you want to discuss on the thread you started ( if you are serious about any discussion :) ) instead of pasting a link in the starting post of a thread and never care to look back again if people are replying or not. It doesn't make any sense that people start few threads everyday early in the morning with just a link in each thread. Does it ?

anilsinghd
October 25th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Umm thats why they dont sound like original song's lyrics. Even if you write....no TYPE each word by YOUR HANDS/FINGERS how is the thread enlightened, unless you are trying to impress "someone" indirectly;) sorry(please bear). But thats by the by, few days back the antakshri thread was closed stating the reason that it is increasing the number of posts of the members, Shouldn't the same criteria be fixed for SONGS thread. Here i appreciate the threads like "WAFA AUR MOHABBAT" atleast most of the compositions were coming STRAIGHT FROM THE HEARTS:)

A suggestion> Lets not count/ increase the number of posts on certain threads like Favourite Movie/ Hindi Song or Angrezi geet:)
Sometime back i'd seen a member trying to humiliate a new member by suggesting him to go and see her number of posts before he expresses his views:confused:

Seriously, had I been good at browsing....My posts would have been HIGHEST by posting on SONGS/ GEETS threads:D:p

Same we'll experience on DIWALI....everyone wants to start a new thread to WISH EACHOTHER

Well Sunita ji , it just depends on one's taste and one's passion. I am very fond of music and i do browse the thread and look for songs which i do not have in my playlist! Similar thing happened with Neelam , she got a couple of songs from my postings! Deepshi for one as well ( Song : kal chaudhvin ki raat thi ... ) , i did mail her that song!
Now if that ain't anything , i would agree that we should close that thread.
It's about sharing , i believe! So i stand firm on what i said!
Ofcourse we can decrease the quantity and increase the quality by fixing some norms as not posting very popular and new songs , and songwhich you think people would not have heard! :)

I found that hilarious saying that the load on the server etc etc bla bla! Every humour section thread gets at least 10 responses on the average saying that was good , nice etc , etc , appreciation for one , i guesss is good but surely not beneficial for the site!
And also fits your theory of just trying to increase the number of posts.

Well in any case , the suggestion that i did mention go unnoticed , so who are we to cry the rhetoric of moving towards good! :) It is ironical to say the least!

vijay
October 25th, 2008, 09:06 PM
And there in lies the need for people who head certain sections because they can navigate the discussions to a more better journey! They can take care of thread with a more intent. Also it is equally important to make sure that at least the threads which invite discussion are clsoed with proper conclusions drawn and they put into one common thread in which we only identify the thread , name , author , important contributors and significant outcomes/ideas coming out.

Come on people , all these suggestions are for good , we can for sure create those representatives of each section with limited authority! :)

Nice idea Anil.

I see some problems here as most (almost all ) of the threads never come to any conclusive result as there are always contradictions and opposition. Even few good threads which had such a nice discussion in the past were not conclusive too.

For example : The "Markovish" thread started by you. Nice positive and constructive discussion but still not concluded. Right ?

Threads like fav songs, kavita, geet etc. can never be concluded and i don't think that anybody need any explanation about that.

anilsinghd
October 25th, 2008, 09:07 PM
It makes some sense that what is/are the points in that news you want to discuss on the thread you started ( if you are serious about any discussion :) ) instead of pasting a link in the starting post of a thread and never care to look back again if people are replying or not. It doesn't make any sense that people start few threads everyday early in the morning with just a link in each thread. Does it ?

And Vijay i have been doing this rhetoric for at least some time i believe to make people accountable for certain sections. Make people responsible , make more people into realising what goes behind!
And also why not include the thing of making the owner of thread summarise the discussion after lets say a month from the start if the thread is not getting any new ideas/thoughts!
If the author is not doing that , make the head of section do that and also put constraint on such authors who cannot summarise of not putting too many topics or some restrain for sure! Or help them in doing so , if they are not good at it!
We can always make things interesting by having the competitions of the best navigated thread , the best author , the best section ( dont say it will lead to partisan things , if you get more people involved in the culture of behind the scenes , am sure it will not be the case ) etc etc.

But is anybody listening?

Seems very similar to the headlines i have for the emerging markets analysis these days !China has the reserves , but does it has the will power to do it? Russia has the power but does it has the political will!

Same things here , we can do a lot , but does anyone possess the will ?

It ain't any fun to reiterate each time , is it ?

anilsinghd
October 25th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Nice idea Anil.

I see some problems here as most (almost all ) of the threads never come to any conclusive result as there are always contradictions and opposition. Even few good threads which had such a nice discussion in the past were not conclusive too.

For example : The "Markovish" thread started by you. Nice positive and constructive discussion but still not concluded. Right ?

Threads like fav songs, kavita, geet etc. can never be concluded and i don't think that anybody need any explanation about that.

Well Vijay , that is where the exact need of a person who is responsible comes in. So that he can always give right directions to the thread.
It might not be the best thing upfront , but very beneficial for the long run. :) Making people adhere to the sanctity of the topic , the course of discussion , ofcourse no objective treatment but subjective allowances of what is right for the thread/section , waht is not is required.
Have not we seen the rhetoric of senior members leaving forum etc etc. Make some of these responsible , i am sure people will respect distinguished senior members! And nonsense elements in anyc ase need be kicked , is not it ?

The problem is that we always look at the downside , never the upside , results are never too obvious , and are never short term ! Look for threads like "The financial pandemic" , there have been such a nice discussion/debate/gaining knowledge from each other and involving fiery , energy filled people like Phool , Mr. Tewatia , Sid , Samar , myself. There are instances of people asking questions of those who seem to know things! Jitender , Sitaram ji all asking queries and the getting prompt replies and feeling satisfied!

Well that is the ideal environment we must try and foster! We can all write model answers of trying and spreading education , making people aware , making people knowledgeable , but are we making effort?

Every progressive idea must be implemented outright i believe! U agree?

PS : I cant expect Satyeshwar , and other moderators to go through each post and look for constructive ideas. That is why i serious believe we must have more people in responsiblity and in power of making changes. ALways have sided to make the moderators focus on constructive things rather than mediating petty fights , imposing bans , giving infractions!

vijay
October 25th, 2008, 09:30 PM
And Vijay i have been doing this rhetoric for at least some time i believe to make people accountable for certain sections. Make people responsible , make more people into realising what goes behind!
And also why not include the thing of making the owner of thread summarise the discussion after lets say a month from the start if the thread is not getting any new ideas/thoughts!
If the author is not doing that , make the head of section do that and also put constraint on such authors who cannot summarise of not putting too many topics or some restrain for sure! Or help them in doing so , if they are not good at it!
We can always make things interesting by having the competitions of the best navigated thread , the best author , the best section ( dont say it will lead to partisan things , if you get more people involved in the culture of behind the scenes , am sure it will not be the case ) etc etc.

But is anybody listening?

Seems very similar to the headlines i have for the emerging markets analysis these days !China has the reserves , but does it has the will power to do it? Russia has the power but does it has the political will!

Same things here , we can do a lot , but does anyone possess the will ?

It ain't any fun to reiterate each time , is it ?

Anil, even i suggested so many times that moderators should actively take part in the discussion instead of mere observing the happenings from a distance. Active participation of the moderators itself can make a thread to proceed in a constructive manner. A discussion is only a discussion and it doesn't lead to any biasness unless people have some personal grudges. If moderators watch the thread closely they can easily distinguish that who is trying to deflect the thread from its mainstream and they can immediately fix the problem. So, i disagree with the theory that moderators should not take part actively in the discussion.

Separate moderators for different section is a nice idea. It can divide their workload as well as improve their efficiency as they just have to take care of a specified section. In this manner even they can track almost every thread and can take part actively in the forum to give proper direction to the discussion of a thread.

The idea about the "best" awards is also attracting one unless they have some unique and unquestionable method to nominate the candidates :)

neels
October 25th, 2008, 10:51 PM

Ofcourse Prashant, I no way think I had some patent type rights on any of threads I started, And yes no thread has any significance without contributions. For Hindi Kavita....I really felt that the most of Real Good Classic Poems have been explored,,, now what would have come, that was contemporary. So I concluded it from my side, Still If you feel that it should not have been closed and it shoould be reopened, you can ask for that. I don't have any problems.