PDA

View Full Version : Proud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nishantrathi82
October 24th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Hi all i just want to know from u people what u think about feeling proud.I mean what kind of work or activity or thing makes u proud may be something u have not done but wanted to be, no matters whether u will get the chance to do it or not.Its really not the easy task to fulfill all ur dreams which will make u proud but we can share here about our fulfilled or yet to be achieved or may be dream felling which makes u proud if u would have done that.Like someone feel proud if he could crack MBBS or something else.So come are share ur proudy dreams or may be something u already did which makes u proud.Like i wish i could be the pilot in air force and would have drive the jet at the speed of 1000mile love to serve for my country being an Air Force oficer.

anilsinghd
October 25th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Prudence is something I would never associate myself with! Though I know what you actually mean.

Sharing some personal things , I have never been swayed by any personal goals , infact i have never setany goals so to say.

I have been fortunate enough that people at different time in my life have come up with challenges for me and I casually took them in earnest and cracked them and that has been the story thus far!

I just wish it continues. Something I have always been proud of myself is that I have been able to establish peace with myself , whatever I did , do is totally in sync with what I believe and think and say. Mansa , vacha , karmna from Kabir been my favo , all time!
something i wish is if i can make people converge , converge on waht they think , what they do , relative to themselves , relative to others. That is very important because there is a lot of energy that goes wasted in sorting out these differences first with others , then with themselves.

I am an optimist and believe that it will infact be the culmination , a right one :)

PS: Bold faced being the answer to the thread!

devdahiya
October 25th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I will never be proud but will be glad if i can devote my balance life for the good of needy and destitute silently without being appreciated by this world.

rajivsp
October 25th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I am proud of each and every moment I lived till moment and the way I lived those moments. just .....

hazaaroN KHwahishaiN 'eisee ke har KHwahish pe dam nikle
bohot nikle mere armaaN lekin fir bhee kam nikle

still long way to go...........
(At the moment I am proud of my JL profile after seeing Mr. Ravi Chaudhary in recent visitors list. His knowledge of Jat History, The way He express his thoughts - incredible. Most of the time Its seen people start some thread with great enthusiasm and as long as its appreciated its good enough, but after few criticism, the thread is just closed. WHY???? When author is going to start some thread with some opinion he must ready to face all criticism and should be able to keep the thread in right direction.

I have seen somewhere in some forum how Mr. Ravi Chaudhary responding to his critics - with all proofs. I do not know the name of that forum, but in That He was discussing Jat History with some Digvijay - very impressive )

neels
October 25th, 2008, 11:51 PM
By the way what is so wrong about being Proud, if you have something to feel pride in !!!! I wonder at times,, why this word is taken so negatively.If you do something good, you feel proud of it. When you set a goal and achieve it, you feel proud, and many other things in life. There is nothing wrong about aspirations and achieving them. Rather without any motivation, one can do nothing in life.Well I had moments when I felt so, and waiting for many more to come to cherish them.

anilsinghd
October 26th, 2008, 11:44 PM
By the way what is so wrong about being Proud, if you have something to feel pride in !!!! I wonder at times,, why this word is taken so negatively.If you do something good, you feel proud of it. When you set a goal and achieve it, you feel proud, and many other things in life. There is nothing wrong about aspirations and achieving them. Rather without any motivation, one can do nothing in life.Well I had moments when I felt so, and waiting for many more to come to cherish them.

Neelam ji , might be you looked at this with some prejudice the author in itself does not say anywhere that being proud is a wrong phenomenon. My take was to keep the word prudence away but replace that with passion.
Same might be true for others. :)

I am all ears for your experiences!

neels
October 27th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Neelam ji , might be you looked at this with some prejudice the author in itself does not say anywhere that being proud is a wrong phenomenon. My take was to keep the word prudence away but replace that with passion.
Same might be true for others. :)

I am all ears for your experiences!

Yes Anil, I understand Nishant didnt mean at all negatively. But then you mentioned prudence to differentiate between two,,, n then Dev sir said "I will never be proud "...so I said whats wrong about it??? n I meant not for here only...in day to day life many times I ve observed,, people react like that being proud is a crime. so my reaction was in general sense, not any particular

Fateh
October 27th, 2008, 04:31 AM
dear Rathee, when you set some goal & achieve it, you get satishfaction. satishfaction is a positive & helpful quality/achievement for the soul, mind & body. you also feel happy when you achieve your goal. Happiness is the highest achievement. Proud is a nagetive quality, a nagetve way of expressing achievement & it is harmful. I personaly feel, one should be always humble, satishfied & happy on any achievement/completion of work/result. However, if you get some satishfaction & happiness in feeling proud on your achievements, nothing wrong, go ahead.

SANDEEP5
October 27th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Nishant Bhai,

I feel proud when i set a goal for myself and achieve that even a small goal or big one.
I feel proud when i do something which can not be done by much capable person.

neels
October 27th, 2008, 09:46 PM
For all those who have doubts about meaning of Proud being negative---proud   –adjective 1. feeling pleasure or satisfaction over something regarded as highly honorable or creditable to oneself. 2. having or showing self-respect or self-esteem. 3. highly gratifying to the feelings or self-esteem: It was a proud day for him when his son entered college. 4. highly honorable or creditable: a proud achievement. 5. full of vigor and spirit: a proud young stallion.

devdahiya
October 28th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Please try understand the connotation first.

He is a proud father as his son got a Gold medal from IIM: Let other say that and nothing wrong in it but if this father says i am proud of myself to have a son like him will not be honorable.Yes his being proud of his son's achievement will still be better.But if father says that......'God is kind and i am humbled by his blessings'...will be too good and others will have better respect for the father.

Rest do the way you feel comfortable please.

sanjeev_balyan
October 28th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Please try understand the connotation first.

He is a proud father as his son got a Gold medal from IIM: Let other say that and nothing wrong in it but if this father says i am proud of myself to have a son like him will not be honorable.Yes his being proud of his son's achievement will still be better.But if father says that......'God is kind and i am humbled by his blessings'...will be too good and others will have better respect for the father.

Rest do the way you feel comfortable please.

Correctly said Dev sir, Proud is negative emotion if it is shown by the same person. if u r directly saying i m proud of myself for so & so reason. that means, superiority complex and ego r being reflected. Here in yr example, i can accept the father statement some how, but if that son himself says, i m proud for this act, is totally wrong. Every citizen of India was saying, “ we are proud of Abhinav Bindra on his achievement in Beijing Olympic” Nothing wrong with this statement. But if he himself says the same thing than it will not give same meaning.

neels
October 28th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Correctly said Dev sir, Proud is negative emotion if it is shown by the same person. if u r directly saying i m proud of myself for so & so reason. that means, superiority complex and ego r being reflected. Here in yr example, i can accept the father statement some how, but if that son himself says, i m proud for this act, is totally wrong. Every citizen of India was saying, “ we are proud of Abhinav Bindra on his achievement in Beijing Olympic” Nothing wrong with this statement. But if he himself says the same thing than it will not give same meaning.

So it means Abhinav Bindra should not feel proud of his achievement... Strange ...!!!well no more discussion from my side.

sanjeev_balyan
October 28th, 2008, 10:37 PM
So it means Abhinav Bindra should not feel proud of his achievement... Strange ...!!!well no more discussion from my side.

Abhinav should feel only. There is a diff between both feeling and declaring.

vijay
October 28th, 2008, 10:49 PM

Hi all i just want to know from u people what u think about feeling proud.

And i suppose that's what Nishant want to know and infact topic of the thread ....... about feeling proud but not about declaring proud.

Declaring proud was not a topic of discussion but people assumed feeling proud as declaring proud and they proudly like to feel and declare that feeling proud is like declaring proud.

What type of proud is this .... feeling or declaring ?

devdahiya
October 29th, 2008, 08:24 AM

Neelam, why feel bad about it.If you feel it is okie to feel proud....its fine...no issues here.

Nishantrathi82
October 29th, 2008, 09:45 AM
And i suppose that's what Nishant want to know and infact topic of the thread ....... about feeling proud but not about declaring proud.

Declaring proud was not a topic of discussion but people assumed feeling proud as declaring proud and they proudly like to feel and declare that feeling proud is like declaring proud.

What type of proud is this .... feeling or declaring ?

What i think if u have done some thing good u never need to declare it.
This is the work which will show the greatness of ur act. If some one appreciates u for ur work that will be real proud feeling rather than feeling and declaring by ownself, ok fine u should feel proud for many things but it has to be declare by someone else that's what i think.

vijay
October 29th, 2008, 01:48 PM
What i think if u have done some thing good u never need to declare it.
This is the work which will show the greatness of ur act. If some one appreciates u for ur work that will be real proud feeling rather than feeling and declaring by ownself, ok fine u should feel proud for many things but it has to be declare by someone else that's what i think.

And who is that someone else .... a common person who don't know you, a person who is your critic, a person who is your close one and always appreciates you, a person who always admires you. Who is going to authenticate that if someone is 'declaring' then it is really a matter of feeling proud otherwise not.

A common man have nothing to do with your personal achievements for which you dedicated your whole life and he is not going to declare anyone of your achievements as a thing to proud of. It's none of his business. While your close ones may always appreciate your every step and even may declare your every minute success as a thing to proud of. How can you distinguish the real thing to feel proud of between these declared and undeclared proud certificates.

Well, i don't like to make it too complicated for you, it just the way how you analyze yourself and your achievements depending on the circumstances and surroundings. Proud is not like any certificate that you need from any authority or organization but it's just a feeling when you accomplish something you wish for and achieve that. That's the time when you feel proud that you achieved something.

This is just one of the many things on which a person like to feel proud of. :)

dkumars
October 29th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I feel proud when my work is appreciated and i get deserved rewards/awards for that. This is not only for job even in personal life :)

anilsinghd
October 29th, 2008, 05:31 PM
ego r being reflected.

well no more discussion from my side.

Ego is not a negative trait ( in psychology), although the perception of people is different!

Doctor , need some psychology theories here ;) please help.

neels
October 29th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Neelam, why feel bad about it.If you feel it is okie to feel proud....its fine...no issues here.

Sir, why to feel bad and what issues........!!!! It doesn't make any difference to me what and how people interpret a word, its their understanding, nor does it affect and change my understanding of concepts.
If I said no more discussion, that was for why to argue on this. jise jo theek lagta hai, wahi sahi.

neels
October 29th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Ego is not a negative trait ( in psychology), although the perception of people is different!

Doctor , need some psychology theories here ;) please help.

Anil, kya karen... individualistic approach ho gayi hain concepts ki bhi... ;).....theories kya help ker paayengi fir :).

sumitsehrawat
October 29th, 2008, 08:34 PM
1. Most of the members here at Jatland declare their pride on being Jat(s). Trust me they do... with all those Shank Nagaade and all. What's your say on that?
2. Could I safely say you are grossly mistaken with this concept?

1. Abhinav should feel only. There is a diff between both feeling and declaring.
2. Proud is negative emotion if it is shown by the same person.

sanjeev_balyan
October 29th, 2008, 09:34 PM
1. Most of the members here at Jatland declare their pride on being Jat(s). Trust me they do... with all those Shank Nagaade and all. What's your say on that?
2. Could I safely say you are grossly mistaken with this concept?

Sumit, Neelam Di and all other respected members on this thread
let me clear from my side first
1. I have never said that being proud on some thing, is wrong.
2. feeling proud on any acheivement by any body is way of celebration. it should be
3. topic of the thread is feeling proud only, but in some post it was said that i am proud of myself for so & so. so my view was that instead of declaring directly by the indl, it should be communicated in diff language by the indl. here i m giving an example , when India won the 1971 war, Indra said that Bangladesh is indipendent country now. meaning of this sentence is that we proud on ourself that we have won the war. Indira was the hero of that war and she could have said this sentence also.
4. we all r beating the same drum but from diff sides, however result is same. the same voice is coming.

I consider that many fellow members have been herted from my views in my prevoius posts. i m sorry for that and accept that there was mistake from my side also. i should not have used those words to convey my veiws. please exsuse me.

anilsinghd
October 29th, 2008, 09:52 PM

Bang on! Would like to hear people's opinion on that !

neels
October 29th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Bang on! Would like to hear people's opinion on that !

btw...wats your opinion on this anil...;)

shweta123
October 30th, 2008, 01:20 PM
:confused::rolleyes::eek: ye bhi hona reh gaya tha :p

The author of the thread is precisely asking in clear words about why and when we feel proud and obviously he is asking about being proud in 'positive' sense!

Leave it apart, but its a very common statement that 'I am proud of my success in this & that " .. being proud about oneself is nowhere bad ! Indeed its natural and positive. If someone does something of magnitude then he is apt in saying that he is proud of that.

Its the thing which matters and not the word 'proud'. For example, 'I am proud of securing first position' and 'I am proud of killing my wife' are two different sentences but the first one is affirmative/positive and the second one is absolutely negative.

It is the thing we are talking about which matters and not the usage of the word 'proud'.

Rmandaura
October 30th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Feeling Proud of your self on some achievement is good. This need not be declared to others as it is very personal and you can be proud of even small achievements.
Most important thing is to tell the self that yes I am proud of myself.

In fact others around you should be proud of you. You should however express to your children, brother, sister, spouse and your parents whenever you feel that they have made you proud.

neels
October 30th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Sumit, Neelam Di and all other respected members on this thread
let me clear from my side first
I consider that many fellow members have been herted from my views in my prevoius posts. i m sorry for that and accept that there was mistake from my side also. i should not have used those words to convey my veiws. please exsuse me.

It's okay sanjeev. :)

anilsinghd
October 31st, 2008, 12:45 AM
btw...wats your opinion on this anil...;)

Seems like you are bent on allowing people to have a go again on me ;)!

Anyways , I have no prudence on myself being a Jat. I am a human above all. A total egalitarian. And please see that i have very carefully chosen the word human for myself , so that i can use it when put in difficult situations :) ( I am conscious of a few coming ... ;) )

I am a strong believer in the law of averages so on average no caste , creed can excel the other , also i am of the individualistic approach , e ach person is unique and it is anything but wrong to categorise people and combining them with common traits. :)

That is precisely the reason I hate that continuing rhetoric of jats , jats and jats , there is life beyond that word too :)

Hope that helps!

anilsinghd
October 31st, 2008, 12:49 AM
Most important thing is to tell the self that yes I am proud of myself.

Though it might sound contradictory that i first wrote that prudence is something that i will not associate with me , and that is for precisely the reason that i am not comfortable talking about my achievements. A lil shy might be the right explanation.

But as the author quoted above has said , it is very important to keep telling yourslef of the achievements and acts that have put you in good shape.

I believe most things are self feeding , so if you can increase the passion for doing good , by telling yourself , Ok , that was nice ! :) , it is actually helpy!

Nishantrathi82
October 31st, 2008, 09:44 AM
Who is going to authenticate that if someone is 'declaring' then it is really a matter of feeling proud otherwise not.

That entirely depend on u and i personally feel if the person doesn't have any idea about the work done by u i don't think that person will comment or appriaciate on that even if don't have enough knowledge on certain topic i don't make any comments on that, and importantly its u only who decides that this particular person's appreciation make me proud like in my office if my boss says that u did great work that makes me proud rather than my parents comments.

A common man have nothing to do with your personal achievements for which you dedicated your whole life and he is not going to declare anyone of your achievements as a thing to proud of. It's none of his business. While your close ones may always appreciate your every step and even may declare your every minute success as a thing to proud of. How can you distinguish the real thing to feel proud of between these declared and undeclared proud certificates.

:)[/quote]

And u r talking about common man i think in this Olympics common people's love and their appreciation will really make our hero's proud. So its not like that common people doesn't have nothing to do, it depends on the kind of achivement.

shweta123
October 31st, 2008, 12:11 PM
[/color]

That entirely depend on u and i personally feel if the person doesn't have any idea about the work done by u i don't think that person will comment or appriaciate on that even if don't have enough knowledge on certain topic i don't make any comments on that, and importantly its u only who decides that this particular person's appreciation make me proud like in my office if my boss says that u did great work that makes me proud rather than my parents comments.

:)

And u r talking about common man i think in this Olympics common people's love and their appreciation will really make our hero's proud. So its not like that common people doesn't have nothing to do, it depends on the kind of achivement.[/quote]
Vijay is saying that a common man has nothing to do with the achievements of Nishant Rathi ! :p

Or do the public stop you on road and come in crowds just to say ...... Hey Nishant .... we are proud of you boy !! ;)

Your relatives, family, colleagues and friends are the only ones who can say something praising you, but the Indian public wont unless you do something really worth it na !

So, will you wait all your life to hear yourself making someone proud :o

Proud is a situational, everyday used word be it for your own self or others!

Nishantrathi82
October 31st, 2008, 12:43 PM
And u r talking about common man i think in this Olympics common people's love and their appreciation will really make our hero's proud. So its not like that common people doesn't have nothing to do, it depends on the kind of achivement.

Vijay is saying that a common man has nothing to do with the achievements of Nishant Rathi ! :p

Mam please read my last post again i mentioned there that for my work in office if my cleint or my boss appreciates me that it will be the proud feeling for me i think u got it.

Or do the public stop you on road and come in crowds just to say ...... Hey Nishant .... we are proud of you boy !! ;)

And about the common man i illustrate the example of olympic winners and i m sure they are getting the appreciation for the common man so don't get confused. I m in my office and they r the olympic winners i think this time u got the words or it requires any other clarification.:cool:

shweta123
October 31st, 2008, 01:08 PM
Mam please read my last post again i mentioned there that for my work in office if my cleint or my boss appreciates me that it will be the proud feeling for me i think u got it.

And about the common man i illustrate the example of olympic winners and i m sure they are getting the appreciation for the common man so don't get confused. I m in my office and they r the olympic winners i think this time u got the words or it requires any other clarification.:cool:

I am not talking about any Olympic winner, I am talking about YOU !

Nishantrathi82
October 31st, 2008, 03:02 PM
I am not talking about any Olympic winner, I am talking about YOU !

Yes mam that's why i m telling u in my post i took 2 examples one from the common man prospective and one for me.

devdahiya
October 31st, 2008, 09:04 PM
I am proud of you my son's good qualities," says the father"..............POSITIVE

I am proud of myself,"said Ritesh to his friends"..........Negative

That is the only difference....rest do what ever you wish to do with this word please.

neels
October 31st, 2008, 09:41 PM
Vishwanathan Anand on winnng World Chess Champoinship told HT that I am Proud of winning the title, and he also said about victory in 2000 in Delhi - I am still proud of my victory in Delhi as it was first. And the media calls him the most modest of men.

What's negative about it.......I fail to understand????

devdahiya
October 31st, 2008, 10:12 PM
Vishwanathan Anand on winnng World Chess Champoinship told HT that I am Proud of winning the title, and he also said about victory in 2000 in Delhi - I am still proud of my victory in Delhi as it was first. And the media calls him the most modest of men.

What's negative about it.......I fail to understand????

The problem is hidden here Dr sahiba.

nysa
October 31st, 2008, 10:46 PM
The problem is hidden here Dr sahiba.

Hidden !! ??? where sir ?? I fail to find it can u help us find it .:)

With due respect, I fail to understand what's negative about being proud of oneself !! Should I not be proud my self :confused:..I wonder why??

I would be dead the day I would not be and not able to meet my own eyes!!:cool::rock

neels
October 31st, 2008, 11:03 PM

With due respect, I fail to understand what's negative about being proud of oneself !! Should I not be proud my self :confused:..I wonder why??

I would be dead the day I would not be and not able to meet my own eyes!!:cool::rock

Even I am Failed Nysa... thou they say Psychologists are to find the hidden meanings....;):):p

devdahiya
October 31st, 2008, 11:08 PM

My hands Up Nyasa ji.........

Meeting your or my own eyes has nothing to do with being proud or not....it is absolutely and only to do with honesty of deeds and being true to oneself and God.

Feeling nice in side one's heart about an achievement is sober,soothing and humble but talking laud about it does no good to the soul.

devdahiya
October 31st, 2008, 11:11 PM
Even I am Failed Nysa... thou they say Psychologists are to find the hidden meanings....;):):p

AAP bura tou nahin maan gaye na please!

neels
October 31st, 2008, 11:36 PM
AAP bura tou nahin maan gaye na please!

Nahin nahin Sir, bura kis baat ka... maine to pehle bhi kaha hai ki apni apni understanding hai.

cooljat
October 31st, 2008, 11:46 PM
Am PROUD to be a JAT and it feels GREAT, Period. :cool:

neels
October 31st, 2008, 11:59 PM
Well getting back to the original idea of thread. We are common people , we may not have achievements as big as the Sports people, Astronauts, Scientists, Writers and so on. But still the small activities in which we are involved, when they are acknoweldged at some front and are appreciated , they give us that feeling of pride n sense of satisfaction. If I think of my life, well I vent done ny thing of that greatness till date..... But when I topped in my college in class 12th, I felt proud ( and I don know why only this time, as before this I stood first at district level in 8th Board exams, and in MA I topped University, but none of these gave me that sense of pride, thou I was happy no doubt). When I was awarded University Research Fellowship, I again felt proud of myself. The Best moment was when my research paper was published in an International Journal of Very High Repute in London at the age of 27, and I am still proud of that. For 5 years I tried in various private colleges and HPSC for lectureship, didnt get as I had no approach, and then when I was selected by UPSC for the present post, Well everyone in my family and my teachers were proud of me. And of course I was also. And I feel proud of myself every now n then when I see my parents and teachers feeling proud of me. Very recently I applied for a research project and there a very senior professor from the expert committee appreciated my work, I again felt proud. And every time I am appreciated for my research work, my Thanks n Credit goes to my teacher n supervisor from whom I learnt everything. There are many more very small things which stand very significant to me.

So I dont find anything wrong with feeling pround on your small small achievements, they inspire n motivate you for further good work. Earlier also I said somewhere and here again I repeat, without motivation, one can do nothing. And this kinda satisfaction is the basis of intrinsic motivation without any external materialistic reinforcers.

And one thing more, I dont find anything in any of these achievements to declare, or to boast of or speak loudly; they matter to me, for anyone else they may be totally insignificant. But for that matter they can not be of any less importance, for me they were some of the peak moments of my life, which gave the feeling of being actualized, and this no one else can understand. So how anyone else in general can feel proud of them, but me.

nysa
November 1st, 2008, 12:27 AM
My hands Up Nyasa ji.........

Meeting your or my own eyes has nothing to do with being proud or not....it is absolutely and only to do with honesty of deeds and being true to oneself and God.

Feeling nice in side one's heart about an achievement is sober,soothing and humble but talking laud about it does no good to the soul.

Sir to me its one and the same thing ...:)

you never know may be someone might be just waiting for the booster that my words would do and I dont care if I have to not talk, but shout hoarse loud about it..:cool:Rest its a matter of understanding....

pnauhwar21
November 1st, 2008, 03:56 AM
Am PROUD to be a JAT and it feels GREAT, Period. :cool:

Thats not your achievement Jit..ye to bhagwan ki kripa hai :)

pnauhwar21
November 1st, 2008, 08:10 AM
Feeling/Declaring Proud - Is it Negative or Positive..I see lot of discussions happened in this thread on this..here is my modest take/retake on it :

Feeling proud is not at all negative..everybody feels proud of himself/herself when they achieve something they were vying for, whether its topping a class or discovering gravitational laws. When the achievement is more at a personal level, saying that you are proud of your achievement is sometimes taken as a negative connotation by other people and they will label you as proudy or boastful. As we say in hindi 'apneaap ko jyada dikha raha/rahi hai'. But when its a big achievement which also helps community or country, then declaring that 'You feel proud' doesn't sounds negative viz. Abhinav Bindra, Anand saying that they feel proud or our scientists saying they felt proud when Chandrayaan got launched successfully. I believe thats all the difference between -ve and +ve aspects of feeling/declaring proud.

Though, I see contradictions in comments from Nishant - he started the thread asking people to say what things they have felt proud of in their life or will feel proud if they achieve in future and then in later threads he says that one should never declare his achievement himself, they should be told by others only. May be you should have asked all JLs to declare their proudness for others achievements :) Pls don't take it personally, just an observation..

and just for the record, I am still waiting for the moment when I can proudly declare what I am proud of :)

vijay
November 1st, 2008, 08:46 AM
Prashant, the main problem here is that some people are too rigid to accept others point of views while some others don't have any point of views of their own. Rigid people just keep on repeating the same statements again and again while people without their own point of views seems taking U-turn in their every alternative post and hence contradicting theselves.

Flexibility is not about changing your mind after every instance but it is all about analyzing the other's point of views, comparing them with their own point of views in present scenario and drawaing some conclusion with or without some modification in their original thoughts. U-turn should not be termed as flexibility. Flexibility without originality seems like a person without any individaul thinking of his own. They either join the majority ( infact i would like to call it Bhed chaal ) or they just appreciate almost everybody and change their statemets from time to time.

neels
November 1st, 2008, 03:02 PM
Prashant, the main problem here is that some people are too rigid to accept others point of views while some others don't have any point of views of their own. Rigid people just keep on repeating the same statements again and again while people without their own point of views seems taking U-turn in their every alternative post and hence contradicting theselves.

Flexibility is not about changing your mind after every instance but it is all about analyzing the other's point of views, comparing them with their own point of views in present scenario and drawaing some conclusion with or without some modification in their original thoughts. U-turn should not be termed as flexibility. Flexibility without originality seems like a person without any individaul thinking of his own. They either join the majority ( infact i would like to call it Bhed chaal ) or they just appreciate almost everybody and change their statemets from time to time.

Too philosophical :)
Btw there is one more category of people Vijay, who are consistent with their thoughts, they may not be considered as rigid for the reason they stick to their viewpoints. Nor they are resistant to change, but just dont change with every different point of view.

cooljat
November 1st, 2008, 03:48 PM
Ya, u r right thats why am also proud of and grateful to the God, if it exists! ;)

Thats not your achievement Jit..ye to bhagwan ki kripa hai :)

vijay
November 1st, 2008, 05:21 PM
Prashant, the main problem here is that some people are too rigid to accept others point of views while some others don't have any point of views of their own. .

Too philosophical :)
Btw there is one more category of people Vijay, who are consistent with their thoughts, they may not be considered as rigid for the reason they stick to their viewpoints. Nor they are resistant to change, but just dont change with every different point of view.

You are right but i am talking about the problem creating categories ONLY.

devdahiya
November 1st, 2008, 08:38 PM
Sir to me its one and the same thing ...:)

you never know may be someone might be just waiting for the booster that my words would do and I dont care if I have to not talk, but shout hoarse loud about it..:cool:Rest its a matter of understanding....

Chalo ji aap sahi hein.God bless!

poonamchaudhary
November 1st, 2008, 09:39 PM
Why whats wrong in declaring something that you actually feel? If this is to be the way than you will only end up as being dishonest...and this will be a negative emotion rather than of feeling proud. Feeling proud in itself is not a negative emotion because it entails that you are aware of a certain quality of yours and are happy about it...neither is its declaring. It only shows that you are aware about your SELF. If one is intent on knowing what is negative than its VANITY and not PRIDE. The former involves an excess while pride never involves excess.

choudharyneelam
November 2nd, 2008, 03:48 PM
Everybody is correct here to the points they are standing by. Though many members tried to clear the difference by taking two words, viz. FEELING and DECLARING, and these also makes a great sense.

When one has to express the feelings, then the word proud is used in association of the same, like.....'I feel proud for' this and that...but when one directly say it like.....'I am proud of myself' for this or that, then it shows some attitude. That person might be humble/down to earth but the problem is in the appropriate expression of the word just similar to the way when somebody has to express the feelings of love towards someone.

If one says that 'I feel that I'm in love with' so and so person, then its very clear to the other person and he/she will feel doubt (though the former one trying to express the best possible way to other). With word like LOVE one need to be confident while its expression, but with word like PROUD one should always take care to express it with humbleness.

Now, many are saying it as negative while it is confidently spoken like.....'I am proud of myself' .....though it is not, but it speaks the look-up of a person on particular things.

Then some of them are saying it as very positive.....Its not the matter of being positive/negative, but its about ATTITUDE. We can say, that it doesn't sound good. One should feel proud from inside, but due consideration should be given while expressing any feeling. The way of expression can lead to many confusions/ wrong perceptions etc.

Like, when one do something good or achieve something great that is being hounourable/pleasurable then he/she should pat himself/herself to give a boost-up from the same individual's side. And when the same pat is given by other person, then the feelings inside get doubled and speaks a lot to many without even that person's expression.

So, achievement should be of kind that can be praised by others, rather than you standing by yourself to express each and every thing.

Now, as per Dr. Rathee's another indication towards those words spoken by Vishwanath Anand, then I also agree with her complete statement. But, then on another situation, when Vijender Singh was questioned by media to name the woman who was behind his success....he simply said that there is no woman behind him.....I immediately got it that this is for the first time that he is being focussed for some achievement.....another thing is the kind of attitude he has for such things.....he might be taking it as the name of the girlfriend/wife and was not considering his mother's role in his achievement. It is true that "Behind every successful man, there is a woman", but nobody has confined that lady to be one's wife or girlfriend.....she can be a mother, sister, sister-in-law, daughter and any other lady who has the major role to help the person achieve his target.

So, this is all about ATTITUDE.

Coming back to the simplest ques. of Nishant......Dear, whatever good I do I feel great and happy inside for that.... and I always feel proud for the achievements of the people around me whoever make me also feel high by their acts.

So, saying I m proud to be a Jat, it means that it's your community who made you felt like that.....and that's why the word JAT is used there.

I feel proud of myself to be a Jat, is something which shows a boasty kind nature of the person....so this type statement is never given by any person....and if so, then the nature of that person can be easily understood.

sanjeev_balyan
November 2nd, 2008, 05:43 PM
Why whats wrong in declaring something that you actually feel? If this is to be the way than you will only end up as being dishonest...and this will be a negative emotion rather than of feeling proud. Feeling proud in itself is not a negative emotion because it entails that you are aware of a certain quality of yours and are happy about it...neither is its declaring. It only shows that you are aware about your SELF. If one is intent on knowing what is negative than its VANITY and not PRIDE. The former involves an excess while pride never involves excess.

Actually , i did not want to post anything again in this thread bcoz i was considered the controversial or derailer. Poonam ji u have chossen my post and give yr points and concluded my pionts as dishonest act. still i m not agree on yr verson. Neelam has tried a good explanation on the matter in her above post.

मुझे अपनी इस कामयाबी पर घमंड है
मुझे अपने आप पर घमंड है कि मैंने गोल्ड मैडल जीता, परिक्षा में टॉप किया

is this the only way to clebrate, to feel, to declare of achievement. happiness and feeling proud on any achievement is natural emotion, nobody can stop it. and no body can feel that joy, happiness , proud, which is being felt by the indl himself/herself. लेकिन इसका खुलम खुल्ला ढीन्डोरा पीटना ही जरूरी है क्या. तभी पब्लिक को पता लगेगा कि now only so and so is feelig proud. that was my point. i may be wrong in yr way of thinkg, sorry for that.
further a lot of examples r there, Abhinav bindra, Vishy, nobody has said, " i m proud of myself for ---" Vishy even said on becoming the world champion "I did it, I am relieved" I know he was the happiest person on those moments. He was feeling the every emotion right from proud to happiness to joy to everything.

poonamchaudhary
November 2nd, 2008, 06:15 PM
Actually , i did not want to post anything again in this thread bcoz i was considered the controversial or derailer. Poonam ji u have chossen my post and give yr points and concluded my pionts as dishonest act. still i m not agree on yr verson. Neelam has tried a good explanation on the matter in her above post.

is this the only way to clebrate, to feel, to declare of achievement. happiness and feeling proud on any achievement is natural emotion, nobody can stop it. and no body can feel that joy, happiness , proud, which is being felt by the indl himself/herself. लेकिन इसका खुलम खुल्ला ढीन्डोरा पीटना ही जरूरी है क्या. तभी पब्लिक को पता लगेगा कि now only so and so is feelig proud. that was my point. i may be wrong in yr way of thinkg, sorry for that.
further a lot of examples r there, Abhinav bindra, Vishy, nobody has said, " i m proud of myself for ---" Vishy even said on becoming the world champion "I did it, I am relieved" I know he was the happiest person on those moments. He was feeling the every emotion right from proud to happiness to joy to everything.
sir, i do respect your views and every person has a right to stand by his/her views. Why should you or anyone be sorry..there is nothing right or wrong here. First of all the topic is very subjective so each and every person will have a different opinion and there is nothing wrong with it.

I will try to make myself more clear...i have used two words pride and vanity and have said that vanity is a negative term and not pride. You used the word 'ghamand' which is vanity not pride. Again do you feel it negative when someone says...i am proud of my family/i am proud of my country/i am feeling proud of my achievement which brought smile on so many faces...& so on. There is a very thin line between this pride and vanity and you can only feel it when someone speaks. Its from the way one speaks that you can judge whether a person is being proud in a positive sense or is being vain.

As far dishonesty is concerned i think yes it will be... when in the eyes of people one is not saying something that one is feeling all the same somewhere the person will be dishonest. I do not intend any offence here...you may very well hold your own views.

vijay
November 2nd, 2008, 10:36 PM
Sanjeev, the main difference is that how you feel and in what manner you speak about the things on which you feel proud.
For example, read what you posted in Hindi fonts :

and now read this.

मुझे अपनी इस कामयाबी पर गर्व है |
मुझे अपने आप पर गर्व है कि मैंने गोल्ड मैडल जीता, परिक्षा में टॉप किया |

Does that make some sense ?

neels
November 2nd, 2008, 11:37 PM

Sanjeev as I ve quoted in one of my posts earlier, Vish. Anand said cleary I am proud of my victory. And try to think in broader aspect, feeling proud of ones achievements is not at all something negative. As Vijay and Poonam have mentioned, there's difference between Ghamand and Garv. The proud we all are talking here is Garv, Not Ghamand - the vanity.

Nishantrathi82
November 3rd, 2008, 10:25 AM
I think i have written some thing wrong i never want to say that one should not feel proud for his own good works because u can never do good deeds if u r not happy with ur work. So Please don't misiterpret me specially Prashant and Vijay :)
But still i want to say that we do many thing every day it does include ur job work which u completes with a success on daily basis it gives me or u the good felling but for me its not that special thing that's give me the feeling of some achivement i was asking for some thing special which u usually don't do on daily basis, otherwise what is the difference between being happy and being pround on ur good achivement.
Like Neelam di said that Anand said that he is feeling proud after winning the World championship otherwise why don't he come after winning every match of the chess and said that today i m feeling proud becoz i won the match and next day he comes again and say that today again i m feeling proud. Because winning world championship is some thing special which can't be compare with his all other wins that's the special feeling of proud. This was the act which even he would have not been announce then also will come in to eyes of everyone.
I know these kind of achivements have not achived by many of us but still something special which u find have been appreciated by the concern person and that's why i have added some dream work which will give u that special feeling of proud.

anjusin
November 3rd, 2008, 04:45 PM
I would say that we feel proud of those works which makes our people proud of us......like our family ..frns country ..it can be any good thing .......

annch
November 16th, 2008, 09:36 PM
To the respected members who say feeling proud is fine, but declaring it is not",
I guess, you all mean declaring it with "words", otherwise it is pretty evident in the person, in the confidence in the eyes, a smile(may be) on the face and the straight spine, and the confident attitude-"that anything is possible"...Look at any of the winners, in any stance of life....they do not have to say that they are proud of themselves, its there for everyone to see (Nishant Rathi ji's last post)...(indicated by definitions provided by Dr. Neelam)
Just as to declare in words-I am humble, defeats the purpose of being humble.
So let me be the devil's advocate and say:
"I am proud of myself when I am humble":)