PDA

View Full Version : Summary thread

anilsinghd
November 3rd, 2008, 12:33 AM
Summary Thread
Well , The idea is very simple , preach what you practice. I have been putting up the rhetoric of people summing up their topics by conclusions. I start the series with the conclusion of the thread Markovish Behaviour started by me.

Moderators can decide to make this thread sticky. This can serve well for newcomers looking for a summary of topics that have been discussed on the forum.

This should make the thread starters more responsible and accountable.

anilsinghd
November 3rd, 2008, 12:34 AM
================================================== ==

Thread Name : Markovish Behaviour.

Thread Author : Anil Singh

Problem Definition:
Markovish Behaviour: When people act in haste , not considering the past details basing their decisions only on the present. Derived from the mathematical word "Markov" prcess.

Cause:
1)Superiority complex in people , Ego reaching an all time high---- Anil
2) Present having an higher effect , exponential average , with present having the higher weight ----- Vijay
3) Materialism and blind aping of the West -- Parvir
4) Acting in haste always , sqeezed of time -- Neelam

Effects:
1) People developing undue hatred among themselves thus affecting the relations.
2) Arrogance developing and also allowing people to run their emotions on extremem levels.

Course of Discussion:
1) Revolved around Parvir's explanation of how he feels blind aping of the linear decuctionist philosophy of west is contributing to all this.
2) Exact definitions of the term " Markov-ish".
3) Whether cognitive sciences , psychology has any answers to the issue at hand.

Possible Solutions:

1) Vedas and Satsang -- Deepak
2) Mental equilibrium through Yoga , focus on deeds , not the person -- Parvir
3) Dont try to make mind-pictures of people , dont assume , do not go on their "net" behaviour -- Rahul

Thanks to Parvir , Neelam , Vijay for a energetic discussion ; Toni , Deepak , Rahul , Satyepal ji, Sandesh for putting forward their views; Shashi ji for showing us how they incorporated the solutions and the positice outcomes of the discussion in her day to day life and behaviour.

Notes from the Author:
What I intended to bring to limelight is that how people bahave irrationally and with haste in their actions which leads to trouble more often than not. Failing to appreciate the cause behind effects is haunting each one of us and is preventing some beautiful relationships to be forged.
We must keep in mind that communication has two integral parts -- speaking and listening adn either one is equally important. Giving respect and proper thoughts to some one else's view is a key to be accomodative and improve in life.
Let's try and practice equanimity and understand people by giving due time to them and ourselves and that should put us in good stead.

==================================================

anilsinghd
March 14th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Thread: Law of Averages (General Talk)

Description of Topic:
The author leverages from the field of mathematics and uses the law which states that for large numbers, the mean will be closer to the actual mean, meaning that on a long run, events will "even out". Applying these to life and assuming/hypothesizing that the neutral/mean state in life is the state of being neutral feelings and emotions, he argues for a behavior which is closely tracking (always) the neutral state of emotions.

Contributor’s opinions: A Summary

Samar in his usual flair argues for always aiming for the peaks, while Dev Dahiya Sir with all his experience argues for having an “executable” and at the same time appreciating that we don’t control all the parameters. Navin in his usual style tips a “keep working” irrespective approach. Kapil and Anju while being critical (and conscious at the same time) of the application to something as complex as life; support maximizing happiness at a given time while also appreciating equanimity as a good concept. Sid with his crispness as usual goes with a happy go lucky approach.

Vijay, Anil (myself), Sunil, Poonam all at the same time appreciating the difficulty to restrict/control the flow of emotions take the discussion forward and while Poonam and Anil argue in favour of trying and practicing equanimity ; Sunil and Vijay think of it as something too difficult to practice and impractical and uphold the human feelings and emotions as being sacrosanct.

Thank you all for contribution.

PS: The summary is restricted by author’s understanding of the posts of the contributors and might not truly reflect/depict an individual’s real views on the topic. I apologize for the same.

Thanks and Regards,
Anil

=============================================